Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Olympics commentators? basketball guy Tim McCarthy?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

anyone know anything about the basketball commentator, Tim McCarthy? like, where is he from, what does he look like? i mean, whoa:p:eek:

also the athletics guy, Tony O' Donoghue, he has been commentating for years yet i have never seen what he looks like.:confused:

and the gymnastics commentators, Jerry Kelly and Colm Murray, anyone know anything about them?

aaargh, it drives me mad not knowing what these people look like!!! LOL! i even emailed rte but they couldn't help

overall i think rte's commentating is very good, the madcap commentators have grown on me (really annoyed me to begin with) and now i'm intrigued!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭dango

Timmay Mccarthy has to be one of the most annoying commentators on irish tv. Those americanisms with that accent just sound silly. I'm sure they're all ugly, it's like a half step up from radio ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cjbh wrote: »
    also the athletics guy, Tony O' Donoghue, he has been commentating for years yet i have never seen what he looks like.:confused:

Ehhhhhh O'Donoghue's always on tv, whether it's for the soccer, GAA or just a story on the 9 o'clock news.

00015a55140.jpg

Google images is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Who's the guy that does the womens hockey?? He sounds like the fcuking cookie monster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I think the Tony O'Donoghue that does the athletics commentary is different to Tony O'Donoghue the sports reporter (above)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

McCarthy's a fool. I had him as a coach back in the day where he used to tell us not to dunk as its only two points and there's no need for showboating :rolleyes:

The hockey guy is a looney. I'd say he could get very annoying very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I think the Tony O'Donoghue that does the athletics commentary is different to Tony O'Donoghue the sports reporter (above)

I think you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

dango wrote: »
    Timmay Mccarthy has to be one of the most annoying commentators on irish tv.

I enjoy his work on commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

I enjoy his work on commentary.

me too and whats this about him and an american accent, he has a thicker than a double ditch cork brog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

me too and whats this about him and an american accent, he has a thicker than a double ditch cork brog

The poster says Americanisms with the Cork accent sound silly, which is very true. He sounds like Fr. Jack when he repeatedly shouts "Oh Yeeeasss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

zuutroy wrote: »
    The poster says Americanisms with the Cork accent sound silly, which is very true.

I don't think it sounds silly. I enjoy the fact that it comes across that he genuinely enjoys and is excited about what he's commentating on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DarkJager wrote: »
    Who's the guy that does the womens hockey?? He sounds like the fcuking cookie monster...

I heard him for the first time today, feckin' brutal he was. I think his name was Frank Whelan, never heard of him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I don't think it sounds silly. I enjoy the fact that it comes across that he genuinely enjoys and is excited about what he's commentating on.

This.

I think he's great. He gets so excited about the smallest of things.
    'tis very entertaining. I'm gonna miss him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

This guy is probably commentating from a studio in RTE. Imagine going ape at an event 1000's of miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

cjbh wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the basketball commentator, Tim McCarthy? like, where is he from, what does he look like? i mean, whoa:p:eek:

Timmy is from Cork but lives in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 checkit043

timmy mc carthy is the best thing about thse olympics,his commentary is brilliant,alley oop in a cork accent,c'mhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li940A6vT9k&feature=plcpon!!! for a quick version of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Just as well the Olympics only comes around every 4 years.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please don't dig up 4 year old threads.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement