Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 1.4 Opel Astra water pump

Options
  • 17-07-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My sister's 2007 1.4 Opel Astra just died on her. On initial inspection, it looked like a water pump issue so a replacement new one was sourced. Unfortunately, it seems that the impact of the malfunctioning pump killed the engine. Mechanic advises that a new engine is now required at a cost (fitted I think) of €2.5k.

Couple of questions:

1. Price seem fair?
    2. We can't seem to find a reconditioned one anywhere - any suggestions?
    3. The new water pump has a brass fitting where the original had a plastic one. This seems to be where the problem started - Is this a known issue? If it is, anyone know if there was a recall / fix offer from Opel?
    4. We heard new engines can be sourced from Poland cheaper than buying here - anyone else do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lizardking123

you can probably source an engine much cheaper from traynors up the north of ireland,they stock nearly everything!
    Finding a small garage to fit it shouldnt be a problem,i would say you should easily get out of it for €1500 fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

Cheers, just dropped them a mail through their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lizardking123

If you do source an engine,i would recommend you get your mechanic to change timing belt & waterpump on the new engine regarless.you dont know the history of the engine and its always better to try & avoid same problem happening again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

There is no impact in the engine from the water pump failing on a 07 1.4 Astra. I had the same problem happen a 06 one 2 days ago. Head gasket was gone due to overheating from the leak. Had it fixed for around 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Lucifer wrote: »
    There is no impact in the engine from the water pump failing on a 07 1.4 Astra. I had the same problem happen a 06 one 2 days ago. Head gasket was gone due to overheating from the leak. Had it fixed for around 500.

But if the toothed water pump pulley comes adrift or if the pump seizes, surely this would take out the timing belt and thus bend the valves????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Not sure why everyone thinks this engine has a belt?
    It's chain driven
    was the car driven to a stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Norbury

My 07 opel astra broke down on me just over a week ago now. It was the water pump that went but because of the high temperatures in the engine the whole engine seized. Initially the mechanic thought it was just a matter of replacing the water pump, which he did. He ordered the exact same part but this time the water pump came with a brass fitting instead of a plastic one.

Unfortunately I tried a huge number of car dismantlers (including Traynors) and none of them have an engine for the specification I am looking for. Luckily a neighbour who ha€s contacts in England has managed to source a crash-car engine for me which hjopefully is arriving today. It's costing me 800euro ex works.

I am going to contact Opel Ireland to complain about the water puimp having a plastic fitting as I feel I should be entitled to some remuneration for this.

Good luck with your search for an engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Norbury wrote: »

I am going to contact Opel Ireland to complain about the water puimp having a plastic fitting as I feel I should be entitled to some remuneration for this.

Good luck with your search for an engine!

Waste of time imo. The water pump that was sourced by your mechanic could easily have been non OEM which would explain the difference.

Would you ask for a discount in a pub if they gave you a pint in a plastic glass instead of a real glass one?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 coppercat

the brass fitting on the new pump is a running change made in production by opel , then older plastic ones are prone to breaking due to the temps of the engine making them brittle .As for repairing the engine i would'nt as the z14xep (your engine) does not like overheating and a headgasket replacement may only be successful if you turned it off in time and did'nt drive it to a stop. tbh i dont think you'll get anything from opel either considering the age of the car :( . if it was mine i'd go with the replacement engine though i know they are hard to get . sorry to be the bearer of bad news :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Norbury

The water pump ordered by my mechanic was direct from opel (GM motors). It was the exact same model as my water pump (except for the brass fitting). I have been in contact with Opel Ireland since posting this query and they said that they have in fact 'modofied' the water pump with brass fittings for 'customer satisfaction':confused: Not because they think there was a problem having the plastic fitting in the first place:rolleyes:

As for ordering a pint and getting it in a plastic cup....I would not be very pleased if that happened, but at least I could still drink it without it over heating and causing huge damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 daherne

Folks,
    If anyone of you still owns your opel - then this may be of interest:

Alegedly I have had a similar problem with an opel Tigra as with the Astra. Plastic component on the pump instead of brass. My mechanic told me this was a typical problem with opel. It caused overheating and has to remove and skim the head etc. Other problems on the same car (2007) with brakes, handbrake, lights, leaking roof and other.

I thought it was just a thing with this car so for my next car I got an Opel Antarra (five years old at the time). Bad mistake - alleged problems as follows included power steering failing on numerous occasions (real safety issue) - opel did not want to know although it was allegedly a problem with these vehicles, then the petrol guage went (there is a double gauge on these) and went again after being fixed, its still not right after being replased again, then a sensor for the alarm inside malfunctioned (€400 approx to replace). Then the diesel filter cracked and spat fuel all over the engine (the diesel filter is a mechanics nightmare to replace because of its position). Then months later the electric system started to malfunction and the whole fuseboard had to be replaced at immense cost. You can't keep diesel in these vehicles - MPG's are terrible as 4x4 is contunuously on and can't be switched.

Would I ever buy an opel again - what do you think? I'm going to Google and check Boards before buying again

Best Regards - happy motoring,
    Dan

Advertisement