Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Newry to Dublin?

• 15-07-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there- I am in Newry and am about to start a daily commute to Dublin for work. Is there a private bus company and or car pool or something that I havent discovered as yet for people doing the daily commute?- I can't do the first Newry train as it arrives in too late (9.05 for me to get to work on time)! Does someone please have a suggestion - I am looking at heading to Dundalk to get an earlier train but was wondering if I am missing a secret way of how to get to Dublin from Newry every day? Bus is expensive and there is no weekly tickets (so I was told by Bus Eireann). Am open to hearing about a possibility of sharing car and expenses and or if anyone knows how to point me in some direction I would appreciate any help!! private bus / lift share / private buses from newry to the dundalk train station- anything at all please
    Thanks a million - Newry Commuter 2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hi there- I am in Newry and am about to start a daily commute to Dublin for work. Is there a private bus company and or car pool or something that I havent discovered as yet for people doing the daily commute?- I can't do the first Newry train as it arrives in too late (9.05 for me to get to work on time)! Does someone please have a suggestion - I am looking at heading to Dundalk to get an earlier train but was wondering if I am missing a secret way of how to get to Dublin from Newry every day? Bus is expensive and there is no weekly tickets (so I was told by Bus Eireann). Am open to hearing about a possibility of sharing car and expenses and or if anyone knows how to point me in some direction I would appreciate any help!! private bus / lift share / private buses from newry to the dundalk train station- anything at all please
    Thanks a million - Newry Commuter 2008

Do you have a car? Its quite quick now by car - about 40 - 50 minutes on the M1. If you dont - im not sure about the buses. The trains are good from Dundalk but, as you say, might not suit you. Quickest way to get from Newry is actually by car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

darkman2 wrote: »
    Do you have a car? Its quite quick now by car - about 40 - 50 minutes on the M1. If you dont - im not sure about the buses. The trains are good from Dundalk but, as you say, might not suit you. Quickest way to get from Newry is actually by car.

Yeah i'd say if you're going to drive to dundalk you might as well go the whole way, or at least to inside the dublin fare zone so you won't have to pay as much on the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

A private operator called Matthews Coach does a return service Dundalk to Dublin.

Here are the fares: http://www.matthewscoach.com/matthews_website/dublink_xprs_dundalk_dublin.php

Here is the timetable: http://www.matthewscoach.com/documents/Mathews%20Timetable%20V2.pdf

Can't see you getting to Dublin by car via A1/M1 in 50 minutes Monday to Friday. You will get to the vicinity of Swords/Airport in that time or less, but the last leg could take you God knows how long, especially from September when the schools are all back and most peoples holidays have ended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Just an outside possibility that an annual bus ticket might suit you details from dublin bus in o connell street,sorry i dont have the number to hand at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dublin Bus don't go to Newry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Where in Dublin do you have to go?

I am doing the Newry-Dublin route about 2 to 3 times a week (rest of the week I work from home).

It takes me exactly 50 minutes to get to the M1/M50 Interchange (at 70 mph speed and with Eazypass at the toll) early mornings.

I have to go to Sandyford, and it takes me 1:20 hours in the morning (starting work at 7 am) and I leave the office at 15:30 and usually arrive back in Newry just around 5 pm (give or take 5 minutes).

Ulsterbus/Bus Eireann is a bit of a pain, as they seem to be regularly late and depending on the route they take it can easily take 2 hours each way. In my opinion driving is the only viable solution if you value your time and quality of life. IMO public transport is only good if you work within a few minutes walk of Busaras or Connolly station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

What Newry needs is a daily commuter service to and from Dublin or else increase the frequency and speed of the Enterprise service. I know they are talking about the later for a while now but I guess it all depends on available funds. Not sure if IE could start a commuter service to Newry, I guess there's too much politics involved. I'm sure there are many examples over on the continent with one jurisdiction serving a city in another. Maybe the Dundalk commuter train could be extended up to Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It will take alot more than some more trains and drivers to have a more frequent Enterprise service at that time. There aren't enough paths to run an efficient commuter service, never mind an inter-city. The people of Newry and North are not part of the Republic of Ireland so I think the Enterprise should not be prioritised over Commuter and DART services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The people of Newry and North are not part of the Republic of Ireland so I think the Enterprise should not be prioritised over Commuter and DART services.

So not only are people in Newry to be incorporated in the British empire, but they are not to have a train either.

Now you can make a case that longer service should have priority, if only because it brings in more revenue to IE or you can say that long distance commuting should not be encouraged. But the cure either way is the partial or complete quadrupling of the track between Connolly and Howth junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

ardmacha wrote: »
    So not only are people in Newry to be incorporated in the British empire, but they are not to have a train either.
    hate to have to be the one to inform you of this, but the people in Newry are already in the "British Empire" and have been for quite some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

ardmacha wrote: »
    But the cure either way is the partial or complete quadrupling of the track between Connolly and Howth junction.

Agreed but it's unlikely to happen. I'm not sure if there's space along most of the track to add two new tracks.

You at least be able to get into Connolly station from Belfast between 8:30 and 8:45 at the very latest, and visa-versa.

In an ideal world, yes. Fact is that with commuter and DART trains, the network is at capacity. If it were to be that quick a fix it would have been done already. My initial point was that Irish rail should concentrate on getting people South of the border to work on time that in the North. People living in Louth have paid stamp duty, pay vat on their groceries etc etc to the Irish state. The Irish state pays a subvention to the railway. Any improvement on the Northern route should not be at the expense of domestic services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

No doubt the Metro North should be cancelled as some people who might use it will be going to the airport and leaving the State. People in Louth often shop in Newry and pay their VAT there. People from Newry working in Dublin pay their taxes there, but make use of schools, hospitals etc that are not funded from those taxes. On a crass cost benefit basis it would be better to clear away the suburban services and facilitate more workers from Newry.

What about the large tax take from fuel sales to northerners (I heard 1/3 of all fuel sales?). People from the north more than pay their fair share of taxes to the republic.

Not many people from Louth, Monaghan, Donegal, Cavan and further afield paying the Irish state taxes on groceries these days!

Road fuel sales, there's a lovely motorway all the way from the border to the outskirts of Dublin and beyond.

I wouldn't advocate isolating the North as they don't pay tax to the Irish state but I think resources should be prioritised based on what will best stimulate the Irish state.

Advertisement