Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Bus and Rail Tickets

Options
  • 08-09-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

I was offered to buy an annual bus and rail ticket that expires mid 2010.

The person selling it showed me it and it is definitely genuine, has not been registered, comes with the appropriate blank id card and yellow ticket etc but i am just worried that i am not supposed to register it under my name. i have to go to dublin bus hq with a photo id only to do it.

The seller claims their friend won it in a raffle or something along those lines, i am afraid it might be connected to this person or to a company.

Has anyone ever done this? would really appreciate any answers.

thanks a mill,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd phone Dublin Bus and make enquiries before handing over any cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Agree with JustMary. AFAIK they are non-transferrable so you need to check. It sounds like they purchased one through their employer and are selling it on for the full price. They can then avail of the tax relief incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a scam. I suspect you can only get an annual ticket if it is registered.

Why would Dublin Bus issue a blank ID card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There were some fake ones flying around on gumtree.ie last year.

http://busrage.com/2008/09/07/fake-dublin-bus-ticket-scam-uncovered/

The tell-tale was that the forgery didn't have the spot lamination on it ('lamination' is a shiny finish on the card - spot-lamination is where part of the surface of the card is shiny, and part of it is not).

However, since late 2008, there are now laser printers readily available that will print a spot-laminate, so you really should not rely on this guide anymore.

I doubt very much whether Dublin Bus sells very many annual tickts without the number written in. I could be wrong on this, but I'd really be surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

These tickets can only be got through your employer as well cant they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

No - Anyone can buy an annual pass from the CIE Group, however they would always have the ID written on them.

If you get them through your employer, then people can avail of the tax relief - that is the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

thanks for the replies guy's

i'm not gona buy it just incase there's trouble further down the line.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

If you could possibly get a loan of the ticket before you buy it, try this:

Next time you're on Dublin Bus (or preferably hop on a bus waiting at a terminus), just ask the driver to print out a Status Report on the ticket. If it is genuine, the driver's ticket machine will print out a slip of paper detailing the card's current status and an expiry date.

Then all you have to do is get yourself an ID photo at Dublin Bus HQ and write the ID number on the ticket.

Advertisement