Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business & German in TCD.

Options
  • 08-06-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

Doing the Leaving at the mo and it's going meh, prob only get 425+ when I was going for 525 so I'm obviously going to have to make compromises.

Comm & Ger in UCD is one of my choices, and it's above TCD at the moment as, well, I want to go to UCD.

You need a B3 in ord. maths for UCD, and, being the retard that I am that's looking less likely depending on how paper 2 goes on Monday. In TCD, you need a C3 which I'll get, but I'm deciding how whether I'll put Ec & Pol in UCD ahead of B & G in TCD (Ec & Pol was 10 points more than B & G last year).

So what's business in Trinity like? Is it (honestly) any better or worse than UCD? Would it be poss to go to the States while doing B & G (I assume Germany is compulsory?) and is it valued any better then a UCD Comm & Ger degree?

Thanks,
    x.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

xha1r wrote:
    So what's business in Trinity like? Is it (honestly) any better or worse than UCD? Would it be poss to go to the States while doing B & G (I assume Germany is compulsory?) and is it valued any better then a UCD Comm & Ger degree?

Depends. I'd probably say if you want to do pure business UCD might be better in terms of the courses you can do. That said Trinity has better name recoginition abroad, so if you see yourself working abroad I'd say TCD is the way to go. Plus TCD is way more fun! People go to UCD en masse from the Dublin schools, transpose their exisiting social structures to a new location and make no new friends. Happens all too often!

And for B & G you'd have to go to Germany. Have you considered BESS? You can do a Business Studies degree through BESS and take a German language course too. In 3rd year then you could either do the same exchange as the B & G people or you could apply to one of the USA exchanges. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

Whatever you do, don't fill in your CAO according to how many points you *think* you'll get. Make sure you do it purely in order of preference. You might surprise yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

xha1r wrote:

Thanks,
    x.

Talking specifically about BSG in Trinity - its a hard course (and its not really reflected in the points...about 8/10 of the class failed last year, only 4 students went into second year, 2 of whom were repeats), so I'd factor that in in your decision. Germany is compulsory; its excellent to have a year abroad for a variety of reasons, adn I *think* in BESS is might be harder to go abroad because of tough competition. I don't know much about business in Trinity, but I do know that they have a very good german department who really look after you, as long as you do the work!

Hope that helps, and feel free to pm me with any other german related questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I know this is probably too late, but there's no way you should consider Business and German an easy option because the points are lower. I did it when the points were a lot higher (about 500) and everybody found it tough even then. A lot of people drop the German before they finish their degree because it is much more difficult to get a good result in Business and German than in BESS. This is probably why it became less popular in the first place.
    However the year abroad is great, I'd recommend it to anyone no matter what course they were doing, though if you're doing German, of course you have to go to Germany (or Austria). And if you're prepared to work hard you will have a well regarded degree in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Any new opinions on business and german in trinity?Doing the LC this year and want to study either it or Commerce with german in UCD.Anyone know how much the erasmus year costs in total roughly?Is the course doable?What level of german is required from the LC to succeed in this course?
    Thanks a lot in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

From what I've heard, UCD has a better Business and Finance dept. to TCD, but TCD tends to have the best German dept. in the country. It wouldn't make much of a difference to employers though, TCD and UCD are pretty much equal in everything anyway. The degree itself is very valuable though. German is a very highly regarded thing to have in a degree, no matter what else you studied it with. I know one guy who graduated in business and german 2 years ago with a 2:1 and got offered a job working for Audi on €60k a year. Ordinary business degrees aren't usually well regarded when compared to business and language degrees; you have to make yourself stand out, and having a language is one of the best ways to do that.

any idea what he got in his LC in german?cheers for the reply..:)

any idea what he got in his LC in german?cheers for the reply..:)

I think he got an A2, but to be honest, the grade you get in the LC is meaningless once you get in the course. I got an A1 and I'm doing Business and German, but there's people in my class with B1's who are just as good in class. Don't be turned off doing Something+German, just because you aren't getting A's or high B's in the subject, you'll have more time in college to study specifically for German and 1st year is roughly the same standard as the LC anyway.

I think he got an A2, but to be honest, the grade you get in the LC is meaningless once you get in the course. I got an A1 and I'm doing Business and German, but there's people in my class with B1's who are just as good in class. Don't be turned off doing Something+German, just because you aren't getting A's or high B's in the subject, you'll have more time in college to study specifically for German and 1st year is roughly the same standard as the LC anyway.

Do you like the course?How expensive is the erasmus year?Is it worth doing? Are the language modules difficult? thanks again:)

Do you like the course?How expensive is the erasmus year?Is it worth doing? Are the language modules difficult? thanks again:)

Yeah the course is nice, it's nice to have a smaller class as our general business lectures have a few hundred people but our language classes are smaller. The language classes aren't too difficult, but you do have to learn vocabulary and stuff like irregualr verbs by yourself. We also have stuff like Landeskunde (area studies) and text analysis which could be classed as 'bullsh*t' classes but they do count towards our grade so you have to go to them. The Erasmus will cost money, obviously because you're living abroad but you get a grant as far as I know and it's also cheaper to live in Germany, so I'm not too bothered by it.

• Advertisement

Yeah the course is nice, it's nice to have a smaller class as our general business lectures have a few hundred people but our language classes are smaller. The language classes aren't too difficult, but you do have to learn vocabulary and stuff like irregualr verbs by yourself. We also have stuff like Landeskunde (area studies) and text analysis which could be classed as 'bullsh*t' classes but they do count towards our grade so you have to go to them. The Erasmus will cost money, obviously because you're living abroad but you get a grant as far as I know and it's also cheaper to live in Germany, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Are you in second year?Any tips for LC german haha? I think you have to study through german in the erasmus year, any idea how difficult that could be? I think the grant is from the HEA and worth around 1,500 euro? You've been a lot of help thanks again:)

Are you in second year?Any tips for LC german haha? I think you have to study through german in the erasmus year, any idea how difficult that could be? I think the grant is from the HEA and worth around 1,500 euro? You've been a lot of help thanks again:)

I'm in first year, so maybe not the best person to speak to as I've only been in the course for a month. You're in Germany for your Erasmus, so yeah, you have to study through German. Don't be put off by it though, from what I've heard, it's a great experience and it will definitely stand to you when looking for jobs. I think the grant is from the EU, usually it's around €2k I think.

Regarding the LC, just focus on the grammar, once you get that, the vocabulary will come easily and you'll be able to form your own sentences, rather than just learning stuff off. That's what I did anyway. There are others in my class who just rote learned and got A's. Nothing wrong with it, but if you want to actually learn the language, do it this way, otherwise you'll get found out if you plan on studying it after school. Best of luck with the LC anyway, it's really not that hard and once you get your course, that's all that matters. All I can say is, if you're going to pick a course which will pretty much guarantee you a decent job after college, pick one with a language.............except French, everyone hates French :D

I'm in first year, so maybe not the best person to speak to as I've only been in the course for a month. You're in Germany for your Erasmus, so yeah, you have to study through German. Don't be put off by it though, from what I've heard, it's a great experience and it will definitely stand to you when looking for jobs. I think the grant is from the EU, usually it's around €2k I think.

Regarding the LC, just focus on the grammar, once you get that, the vocabulary will come easily and you'll be able to form your own sentences, rather than just learning stuff off. That's what I did anyway. There are others in my class who just rote learned and got A's. Nothing wrong with it, but if you want to actually learn the language, do it this way, otherwise you'll get found out if you plan on studying it after school. Best of luck with the LC anyway, it's really not that hard and once you get your course, that's all that matters. All I can say is, if you're going to pick a course which will pretty much guarantee you a decent job after college, pick one with a language.............except French, everyone hates French :D

just a few more Q's haha yeah so i'm eligible for a grant from the government for the academic year and im wondering will i get the grant for the erasmus year aswell? yeah i totally agree with the job part, language graduates are like gold dust in Ireland haha :) thanks haha good luck with college, hope i'll be in your position in 12 months time:)

Advertisement