Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Netflix use up a lot of internet credit?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Netflix causes exceptionally high usage of internet? I have been using 3 mobile Broadband for the last three years and pay by direct debit each month. However, last night it stopped and I received a message saying that I had used all allowance for the month and that my usage cost for the last month is in excess of €70.00 (I normally pay around €24) The only difference in my usage habits is that I joined Netflix last week and have been using it each day as the quality is much better than the previous free site I was using.
    I did not realise that there were any other implications with Netflix other than the monthly charge. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

+

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Netflix will use your download limit if there is one on your plan, for example some people have unlimited broadband meaning they can download as much as they like during any given month.

I however have a 20gb download limit and once I exceed this I am liable for extra charges. Watching a lot of Netflix will increase my usage quick enough, so I always check on my ISP website under my account to see what current usage is to ensure I don't exceed my limit.

I think most ISP's offer add ons which could work out cheaper, or you could see if you can sign up to an unlimited offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

annascott wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Netflix causes exceptionally high usage of internet?
    You're streaming HD media, there is a bit of compression but its really no different bandwidth-wise to just downloading the film from the Pirate bay or whatever, if you're using it everyday it will eat your allowance in no time, a full film is roughly 2-4 GB. Its really only for people with unlimited packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

For SD movies your using about 1.5GB to 2GB per movie , for HD , up to 4GB per movie.

If your on a data cap with your broadband supplier , there is usually a charge per MB after the cap , remember there are 1000 MB in 1GB.

Could have been worse , I know people who have let the kids watch movies on tablets while away on holidays , and get stung for 20p plus per MB.
    That was Frozen , it was approx 1500 MB or 1.5 GB , and it cost approx 300 euro to watch !!

So , netflix costs a hell of a lot more than 8 euro per month or whatever it is these days , unless you have unlimited broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

netflix will use ur download limit if u have one better of getting unlimited brodband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If you go into you settings in Netflix I think you can set it to default to low, medium, high or auto quality. If you set it to low I think it uses around .3GB per hour. Set it to low and keep an eye on your allowance via your providers website. If your going to be streaming on any kind of a regular basis you would be far better off getting unlimited BB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement