Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what did I do right?

Options
  • 24-01-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I typically make a basic tomato sauce - tin of tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs, salt, black pepper. The odd time I would throw in a fistful of chillis.

Usually, when the sauce is either poured over chicken or used with mince, it separates, so I am left with this watery liquid all of the plate and the bulk of the sauce on the meat.

Last night, however, I used the above (minus the chillis) and for no reason other than "because I can" I threw in a good dash of white wine and some cream.

Left it simmering for about 1hr, stirring well, and the sauce didn't separate when I served it. No watery leakage - I was delighted.

Any idea what went right this time? Could it be the cream? Or did I leave it to simmer longer than normal? Or was it to do with the planets aligning the other day?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I typically make a basic tomato sauce - tin of tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs, salt, black pepper. The odd time I would throw in a fistful of chillis.

Usually, when the sauce is either poured over chicken or used with mince, it separates, so I am left with this watery liquid all of the plate and the bulk of the sauce on the meat.

Last night, however, I used the above (minus the chillis) and for no reason other than "because I can" I threw in a good dash of white wine and some cream.

Left it simmering for about 1hr, stirring well, and the sauce didn't separate when I served it. No watery leakage - I was delighted.

Any idea what went right this time? Could it be the cream? Or did I leave it to simmer longer than normal? Or was it to do with the planets aligning the other day?

Weirdly I had the opposite problem last night. Was making chicken and mozzarella pasta and the sauce was simmering away fine and then as I was serving it up I realised it had separated and there was a big pool of water at the bottom of the bowls.

I'm wondering if it's from using tinned tomatoes rather than passata which I usually use for making pizza sauce which turns out fine every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Acid in the tomatoes can aid in prevention of splitting. For example when you make a bernaise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fat in the cream emulsifies the sauce, trapping the water in the sauce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Plus the extended simmer likely helped as more of the water would have evaporated off.

Advertisement