Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for this ingredient please

Options
  • 14-01-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I picked up a jar of italian amarena cherries in syrup in Aldi the other week thinking they would do well as a topping on some home made ice cream. Failing that, does anybody have other suggestions for recipes I could use them in?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

twignme wrote: »
    I picked up a jar of italian amarena cherries in syrup in Aldi the other week thinking they would do well as a topping on some home made ice cream. Failing that, does anybody have other suggestions for recipes I could use them in?

Black Forest Gateaux :D

Or else heat them up and have them with some French toast for breakfast on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Pancakes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh! Oh! Oh! Donauwellen!

FOOD-Desert_DonauwellenDanubeCake_OVR_478x345_tcm21-9843.jpg

Now, I don't know if I can find you an English recipe, but I'll try. It's a German chocolate, cherry and cream cake, incredibly tasty. The name translates as "waves on the Danube".

Edit: Found one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/90310/donauwellen/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And on another German note ...

http://www.bild.de/lifestyle/bams/windbeutel-mit-kirsch-sahne-fuellung-13156732.bild.html

A Windbeutel (literally translated a "wind bag" !) is basically just a large profiterole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Drain them well, keep the syrup for pouring over vanilla ice cream.

Then make a cherry clafoutis. Very easy and very very nice. I don't like cherries so I make mine with peaches. Same yum factor!

http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/cherry-clafoutis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A garnish for a Manhattan?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

What briliant ideas from you all, I'm just sorry I didn't pick up a couple of jars when I saw them! The donauwellen looks terrific and well worth a shot and the windbeutel looks heavenly as well, especially as I love to make choux pastry. I had forgotten about clafoutis which I really love too. Decisions decisions, I need a manhattan whilst I make up my mind :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ice, fresh lime, amaretto and Coca-cola in a tumbler, with three cherries on top. Absolutely delicious cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

We used a jar like that to make ebelskivers this Christmas. A chocolate batter, a cherry popped in the middle of each, served with cherry sauce made from the remainder of the jar with a bit of brandy and cornflour, and lightly whipped cream. Easy to make if you have the pan.

Speedwell wrote: »
    We used a jar like that to make ebelskivers this Christmas. A chocolate batter, a cherry popped in the middle of each, served with cherry sauce made from the remainder of the jar with a bit of brandy and cornflour, and lightly whipped cream. Easy to make if you have the pan.

I just had to google ebelskivers :D Wow, they look brilliant! I have a danish friend who would be WELL impressed if I did those. Could a regular muffin tin be used or adapted somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

twignme wrote: »
    I just had to google ebelskivers :D Wow, they look brilliant! I have a danish friend who would be WELL impressed if I did those. Could a regular muffin tin be used or adapted somehow?

Well, you can't use a regular muffin tin on top of the hob, and the pastries won't tip and turn unless the wells are dome-shaped. Amazon have several pans available, and there is also a Japanese and an Indian pan that will work for ebleskivers too (a takoyaki pan or a paniyaram pan). We just discovered them, but ebleskivers were trendy a few years ago, so odds are someone you know... even your Danish friend... might have one or have been given one and not even know what it is, heh.

I don't see why you could not make muffins with ebelskiver batter, if you put a little batter in well-greased muffin cups, then the filling, then a spoonful more batter, then bake. I'd have to experiment to see what the correct temperature would be. Probably pretty high. The thing that makes ebelskivers light and puffy is the beaten egg whites.

Thanks Speedwell, unfortunately my budget doesn't run to buying single use equipment even though I would love to have the pan, so I will have to put it on hold until I visit Denmark and try one for real. They do sound yummy though and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before so they are on my must try list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shellsfinn

smoothify them!

Advertisement