Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This might shock you, so sit down, but Gruden is all in on Carson Wentz.

However, rumours that he "loves this kid" have yet to be verified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So with some of the free agency moves this week anyone think the top 5/10 picks have changed drastically from a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i think there was a strong shout that cowboys would go with Elliot at 4 - with morris signing now that wont happen!

Talk of browns maybe not taking a qb in round 1 and picking up maybe lynch or cook early in the second cos they got rg3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Random fact - the Giants are the only team in the league without any picks from their 2011 or 2012 drafts on their 90 man squad (technically the Jags too, though Justin Blackmon is on the roster - just indefinitely suspended). What's even worse is how insanely stacked those two drafts were defensively (if I recall correctly) and where the Giants defense was last season.

I know whataboutery for drafts gone by is kind of meaningless, but still... 2011 must sting in particular. They took Prince Amukamara a few picks ahead of Jordan Cameron & Mo Wilkerson. They took Marvin Austin just a few picks ahead of Randall Cobb, Demarco Murray and Justin Houston. They took Jerrell Jernigan a little ahead of Cam Jordan and Justin Brewer a little before Julius Thomas. Made a trade for their 5th rounder with the Browns... 3-4 picks before Richard Sherman went, and while their three 6th/7th rounders missed, Chris Harris was a UDFA. Of course, the JPP injury only makes that worse.

Mainly looking at defenses there (and only doing a very quick scour for pro bowlers on the draft's wiki page, rather than looking closer for solid non-PB players too), but even adding a Thomas/Cam Jordan or Cobb to what they have could have been lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

Am I the only one that thinks the Browns front office of Brown, De Podesta, etc. might be inclined to pass on a quarterback and take the best player available regardless of position? I never see anyone discussing this angle but I can't help but wonder what the point is of bringing in a front office full of analytics guys and then doing what every typical GM on a crummy team would do and taking a quarterback over much better players just because they want immediate progress. I'd love to see Cleveland finally try a slower rebuild after decades of stagnation. Even if they went 0-16 with RG3 under centre and had a high pick again next year, I think they'd be better off as long as they had added a Jalen Ramsey type talent as opposed to taking a risk on one of these quarterbacks.

• Advertisement

theRB wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the Browns front office of Brown, De Podesta, etc. might be inclined to pass on a quarterback and take the best player available regardless of position? I never see anyone discussing this angle but I can't help but wonder what the point is of bringing in a front office full of analytics guys and then doing what every typical GM on a crummy team would do and taking a quarterback over much better players just because they want immediate progress. I'd love to see Cleveland finally try a slower rebuild after decades of stagnation. Even if they went 0-16 with RG3 under centre and had a high pick again next year, I think they'd be better off as long as they had added a Jalen Ramsey type talent as opposed to taking a risk on one of these quarterbacks.

Not really there is no point in being different for the sake of it. If they feel a qb is the best value they likely pick a qb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not really there is no point in being different for the sake of it. If they feel a qb is the best value they likely pick a qb

The problem is they have a habit of picking a QB whether or not that's the best value. Which, this year, it most certainly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

My entire point is that QB is absolutely not the best value pick. They should be different for the sake of doing what's best for the team long term rather than being like other teams for the sake of being like other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has anyone come across any good draft podcasts? Perhaps one that does a mock draft?

Paully D wrote: »
    Has anyone come across any good draft podcasts? Perhaps one that does a mock draft?

First draft and move the sticks are good for the draft

• Advertisement

I spent a bit of time looking at QB's over the weekend and while I'm not all that high on any of them in the 1st round, if I have to take one of them early I'd definitely go for Goff over Wentz or Lynch.

I just can't see how the Browns can pass up on the likes of Ramsey or Bosa to take one of those QB's at #2 though. It would be madness IMO.

However, there's lots of talk among the experts that the Titans might well go with Ramsey #1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tunsil knocked out 35 reps. Large titans presence there.

Treadwell clocked a 4.65 in the 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That hand time or laser, do you know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

not a clue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I spent a bit of time looking at QB's over the weekend and while I'm not all that high on any of them in the 1st round, if I have to take one of them early I'd definitely go for Goff over Wentz or Lynch.

I just can't see how the Browns can pass up on the likes of Ramsey or Bosa to take one of those QB's at #2 though. It would be madness IMO.

However, there's lots of talk among the experts that the Titans might well go with Ramsey #1.

I like Wentz. The only real knock on him is where he went to school and the competition he faced. But watching the tape you see real talent there. I'm not sure he's mentally at the level to enter and be a good starter but if the browns were to sit him for a year and let him learn how nfl defenses operate he has all the physical tools to be a star. I see a lot of Carson Palmer in him.

i prefer wentz to goff personally

TBH not really liking any of this years QB to be a franchise player....
    I'll be proven wrong but just not excited by any of them

Tunsil knocked out 35 reps. Large titans presence there.

What do you think the Titans will do at #1 mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

brinty wrote: »

Neither so i tbh but i can see teams trading up for a qb if browns pass on one. Personally i think Goff's size and hands will keep him from no.1 qb.

What do you think the Titans will do at #1 mate?

Really unsure, Jrob is playing things very close to his chest and with the signing on an S the other day, hard to know.

McCourty is injured, he could have ramsey and Jmac on the outside with cox inside and then when jmac gets injured move cox outside.

However, priority number 1 has to be keeping mariota healthy and thats Tunsil.

Personally i'd go tunsil, trust your O to get the job done

• Advertisement

There's no Luck or even a Winston level prospect with regards to being able to contribute right away but there's 3 guys who each bring a ton of athleticism and potential. They each have flaws but any one of the 3 could be a superstar.

I don't think any fall into the category of best player in the class but its a LOT better for those looking for a qb than say 2013 was.

DB hasn't gone number 1 overall since the 50s, and I don't really see that changing. I'd be fairly certain Titans will go with Tunsil.

Titans are bringing in a few safeties expected to go in the late 2nd/top of the 3rd, so increasingly looking like Tunsil is going to be the pick

This is a good read. Obviously it needs to be taken for what it is as their college coaches are hardly going to discredit them too much, but there's some interesting stuff among the fluff:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/23/nfl-draft-carson-wentz-jared-goff-paxton-lynch
    There’s only so much to be learned watching a player on tape. To better understand Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch, NFL personnel men and scouts are asking their college coaches how much responsibility each QB had in the offense. Here’s what they’re hearing, plus more notes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wasn't sure to put it in here or the draft thread, but out of interest I went to see if you could put a full defense together just from guys drafted in 2012 and how good it would be. Well...

DL: Brockers, Poe, Cox (+ Mike Daniels)
    LB: Chandler Jones, Kuechly, Lavonte David, Wagner (+ Hightower, Burfict, Upshaw, Bruce Irvin, Vinny Curry)
    CB: Josh Norman, Janoris (+ Gilmore, Claiborne, Hayward, Kirkpatrick)
    S: Harrison Smith, Tayshaun Gipson (+ George Iloka)

...and in 2011...

DL: JJ Watt, M. Dareus, Mo Wilkerson (+ Jurrell Casey, Fairley, Liuget, Phil Taylor, Cam Jordan)
    LB: KJ Wright, Von Miller, Justin Houston (+ Aldon Smith, Akeem Ayers)
    CB: Pat Peterson, Sherman, Chris Harris (+ Amukamura, Jimmy Smith, couple other 'just guys')
    S: Very little here, a couple 'just guys'

Any thoughts on which would be better? The 2011 guys pass rush would just be hilarious, but the ferocity, balance and depth in 2012 is also something else. 2011's strength is 2012's biggest weakness in the pass rush but they could still get a lot with those guys, while 2012 is very strong at safety which is 2011's biggest weakness... the only position in either draft without top end talent and depth. I don't know that I'll ever get over how ridiculous those two drafts were, especially defensively.

Does anyone look at the projected drafts on the NFL site. They'd Ike Taylor yesterday do a first round draft and he really went scatter. Carson Wentz was not in the first round being one example, Bosa fell to 11, Ramsey to 9 and Kelly the Alabama Centre was top 15...

Looking at the overall selections Lynch seems to be a consensus pick at 31 for the Bronco's, if he's there I'd love the Cowboys to look to trade up...

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure to put it in here or the draft thread, but out of interest I went to see if you could put a full defense together just from guys drafted in 2012 and how good it would be. Well...

DL: Brockers, Poe, Cox (+ Mike Daniels)
    LB: Chandler Jones, Kuechly, Lavonte David, Wagner (+ Hightower, Burfict, Upshaw, Bruce Irvin, Vinny Curry)
    CB: Josh Norman, Janoris (+ Gilmore, Claiborne, Hayward, Kirkpatrick)
    S: Harrison Smith, Tayshaun Gipson (+ George Iloka)

...and in 2011...

DL: JJ Watt, M. Dareus, Mo Wilkerson (+ Jurrell Casey, Fairley, Liuget, Phil Taylor, Cam Jordan)
    LB: KJ Wright, Von Miller, Justin Houston (+ Aldon Smith, Akeem Ayers)
    CB: Pat Peterson, Sherman, Chris Harris (+ Amukamura, Jimmy Smith, couple other 'just guys')
    S: Very little here, a couple 'just guys'

Any thoughts on which would be better? The 2011 guys pass rush would just be hilarious, but the ferocity, balance and depth in 2012 is also something else. 2011's strength is 2012's biggest weakness in the pass rush but they could still get a lot with those guys, while 2012 is very strong at safety which is 2011's biggest weakness... the only position in either draft without top end talent and depth. I don't know that I'll ever get over how ridiculous those two drafts were, especially defensively.

Nice.

I'd definitely take 2011 over 2012, myself. Would also rate Iloka over Gipson for that 2012 group, but not by a whole lot.

I think with the '11 bunch, there' just far too much up front, and then you have some of the best corners in the game feeding off that carnage. Rahim Moore isn't a bad safety option at all either, to compliment all of that.

You also have the likes of Robert Quinn and Ryan Kerrigan to add in too. Personally, I just think its a far, far tougher lineup to face than '12.
    Does anyone look at the projected drafts on the NFL site. They'd Ike Taylor yesterday do a first round draft and he really went scatter. Carson Wentz was not in the first round being one example, Bosa fell to 11, Ramsey to 9 and Kelly the Alabama Centre was top 15...

Looking at the overall selections Lynch seems to be a consensus pick at 31 for the Bronco's, if he's there I'd love the Cowboys to look to trade up...

Himself and MJD had some damn weird mocks. Ramsey at 9 in Ike's I found a little much. Plus having Cowboys take Elliot at 4.

[QUOTE=Knex.;99222345
    Himself and MJD had some damn weird mocks. Ramsey at 9 in Ike's I found a little much. Plus having Cowboys take Elliot at 4.[/QUOTE]

I think given how the cowboys have addressed there depth in free agency there's a chance they could look at taking a QB (which they haven't addressed through FA) or Elliott at 4..

Still more likely they take one of Bosa, Jack or Ramsey

I see Chad Reuter has done a 5 round mock and he has cowboys taking
    #4 Jack ILB (has been Bosa up to this week)
    #34 Henry RB
    #67 Hackenburg QB

I'd hope the QB ain't true!! But we'll see ;)

Hackenburg is an interesting option, to be fair. I genuinely have no idea what to expect from him, or how he'll pan out.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Hackenburg is an interesting option, to be fair. I genuinely have no idea what to expect from him, or how he'll pan out.

I think he's well worth a look in the 3rd id rather take him than cardale Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Going to end up the best QB in this draft. Landling with he Cowboys would not be a bad option for him. Anywhere he can sit for 2 years just to fix one or two minor issues and allow him time to develop & it will reap rewards.

The guy has one of the best arms (if not the best) in the draft, is underrated as an athlete, and has fought through a difficult situation when he could easily have walked away. He took an absolute battering behind that line in Penn State and James Franklin's coaching did little to help him.

I would take him at the top of the 2nd and be happy to have got him. If he goes in the 3rd it will be one of the steals of the draft.

Matt Waldman's channel on YouTube has some great breakdowns on players. Some really, really in depth too.

e.g

His website might interest some as well http://mattwaldmanrsp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Just been going back over the edge guys again the last few days. Anyone else here high on Shilique Calhoun.? I don't get the 1st round talk for ogbah at all. Ino he had a good combine but he's like a stiff on the field, what am I not seeing.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Knex. wrote:
    His website might interest some as well

I've bought his RSP for going on 4 years in a row now. Its always a great read.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Going to end up the best QB in this draft. Landling with he Cowboys would not be a bad option for him. Anywhere he can sit for 2 years just to fix one or two minor issues and allow him time to develop & it will reap rewards.

The guy has one of the best arms (if not the best) in the draft, is underrated as an athlete, and has fought through a difficult situation when he could easily have walked away. He took an absolute battering behind that line in Penn State and James Franklin's coaching did little to help him.

I would take him at the top of the 2nd and be happy to have got him. If he goes in the 3rd it will be one of the steals of the draft.

His footwork is comparable to mine. I think he'll be a bust, he's shown no real desire to learn by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lot of talk of Shaq Lawson being much more pro ready but Kevin Dodd having more potential.

Mad thing is Lawson is only 21 and 2 years older at Dodd is 23 (22 & 24 respectively when the season starts).

Lawson also beat him in every single metric at the combine & pro day.

Dodd just seems to have better length - will be interesting if teams see him as a 5tech (with 15+lbs extra).

Definitely be interesting to see how far apart they are selected in the draft.

Just realised the draft is on May Bank Holiday weekend :D

Had it in my head it was later myself! Will be over in Berlin that weekend. Probably end up with a hefty phone bill from checking in on it :pac:

Good news for sure!

Hadn't seen much of ND this year so was interested to see Will Fuller at his pro day. I can't fully explain it but I have taken an instant dislike to him. His body type looks way too lean & he has a very odd running motion (told you can't fully explain it).

• Advertisement

Had it in my head it was later myself! Will be over in Berlin that weekend. Probably end up with a hefty phone bill from checking in on it :pac:
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good news for sure!

Time to put in for the Friday off work before anyone else realises! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is Goodell gona be walking vetween two buildings this year? Was a pain in the arse last year, ended up being 2 or 3 picks behind the actual draft because of it

The Warts of Carson Wentz

http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/27/the-warts-of-carson-wentz/

Well worth a look

An interesting comment (you may agree or disagree) from a Bears fans board to go with it;

'I remember 3-4 months ago, there was a near unanimous consensus about how bad the QB prospects were gon be in the upcoming draft. Folk were pretty down about the chances of finding a clear upgrade to Cutler in this years draft.

And then come draft season and the draft hype machine with all of the draftnics and mock drafts and combine and strengths and weakness write ups - the full echo chamber of regurgitated blather.

And 6 weeks later, there are suddenly 2, maybe 3 QBs worthy of the top half of the first round. This is exactly **** I refer to when I keep talking about fans/scouts spending the draft season talking themselves into liking a player.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

So wish the first round was done on a Friday night though.

titans having ramsey in for a private visit.. all a smokescreen?
    Tunsil said he hasnt really talked to the titans apart from the combine, not much chat at his pro day it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Anyone else feel as if Ramsey is the most overrated prospect in the draft? Listening to some people would make you think he's a hall of famer already. He's too agressive and not good enough in man and zone to be receiving the praise he's getting. He may improve his technique and become an excellent corner or safety in the NFL but he'll get badly beat in his first year by any good route runner. The comparisons to Deion Sanders are offensive too. His atheltism and highlight reel are forcing him to the top when in reality there are big question marks over his technique and positioning.

glued wrote: »
    Anyone else feel as if Ramsey is the most overrated prospect in the draft? Listening to some people would make you think he's a hall of famer already. He's too agressive and not good enough in man and zone to be receiving the praise he's getting. He may improve his technique and become an excellent corner or safety in the NFL but he'll get badly beat in his first year by any good route runner. The comparisons to Deion Sanders are offensive too. His atheltism and highlight reel are forcing him to the top when in reality there are big question marks over his technique and positioning.

people see a more athletic honey badger i dont think anyone sees him as a dion sanders shut a guy out player but a guy that can move around the defence is very valuable these days. people are definitely getting a tad carried away though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

people see a more athletic honey badger i dont think anyone sees him as a dion sanders shut a guy out player but a guy that can move around the defence is very valuable these days. people are definitely getting a tad carried away though

All I know is I'm dreading listening to Mayock going on about him on draft day. The hyperbole is going to kill me. Premium athlete, average technique IMO.

I think it was Mel Kiper compared him to Deion coming out. Not 100% though.

All I know is I'm dreading listening to Mayock going on about him on draft day. The hyperbole is going to kill me. Premium athlete, average technique IMO.

I think it was Mel Kiper compared him to Deion coming out. Not 100% though.

its always the case tunsil will be jason peters, ramsey will be dion, wentz will be luck etc

in fairness i think a lot of it is comparing a guys style as opposed to talent (although the dion/ramsey thing still makes no sense)

Ah there is a lot to like about Ramsey. Offers great positional value, athleticism, toughness & a really good attitude by all accounts. He is big enough to play a bit of hybrid LB/S as well as CB. Loves to tackle when you watch tape, the biggest knock on him I can see is that his hands are not as good as you want. As a top 3 guy, there is little not to like.

In terms of most overrated prospect take your pick from Wentz/Goff/Lynch. In no year are they 1st round talents, pure need driving their value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement