Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

think the poor track record is due to the school games the day before - i remember that there was issues with the school game before the Navy game here - an afaik i think while the official organisers are different maybe the contact people organising this are the same as before..... who the IAFA dont have a good relationship with!

IMO IAFA is right.... but hope this game doesnt get cancelled cos there will never be another game here again - why oh why cant anything in this country just be done right - dont see any issues with the NFL games in London, any Issues with a Gareth Brooks gig anywhere in the world. Just doesnt reflect well on our ability to host an event - and your seeing the popularity of American Football is growing worldwide! They will just go somewhere else.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

If the game goes ahead are there any future NFL players playing do you think? I did a bit of research on both rosters and both appear very average if not poor. The only guy that might have a serious shot at the Pros is Burden the GT center or maybe Milano the BC LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Long time fans, bought 6 tickets many months ago but 2 of the lads have
    to pull out now so have 2 spares.
    They are in Row A of the South Upper directly behind the goal so every time there's a field goal etc you should get on TV and nobody will be sitting in front of you!
    Won't even charge for sitting beside us!
    Tickets were €50 each but will sell them below face as there are some tickets still available.
    PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Long time fans, bought 6 tickets many months ago but 2 of the lads have
    to pull out now so have 2 spares.
    They are in Row A of the South Upper directly behind the goal so every time there's a field goal etc you should get on TV and nobody will be sitting in front of you!
    Won't even charge for sitting beside us!
    Tickets were €50 each but will sell them below face as there are some tickets still available.
    PM.

PM sent, Sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The game is going ahead.. This sort of stuff happens all the time but you will seldom hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Maybe it would sell better if the tickets were not so expensive. The tickets are way more expensive than football and rugby games. They are charging 70e for an upper row seat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Maybe it would sell better if the tickets were not so expensive. The tickets are way more expensive than football and rugby games. They are charging 70e for an upper row seat...

Agreed but it seems to be sold as a one off event and as such is on par with one off concerts (afaik). With rugby and soccer matches they are ten a penny but this a one off, granted for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

gufc21 wrote: »
    Agreed but it seems to be sold as a one off event and as such is on par with one off concerts (afaik). With rugby and soccer matches they are ten a penny but this a one off, granted for the last 3 years.

I would've loving to go but the tickets are a bit too pricy for my liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

I would've loving to go but the tickets are a bit too pricy for my liking

Ditto, even with the 15% off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TimSheehy

I have two tickets for sale if anyone interested. Purchased for 150 and will sell for 100 ono. Unfortunately I cant go myself as my son starts a new job that Saturday. Block 123 Row X and seats 8 and 9. These are pitch side seats and all tickets are sold out on both sides at this level, right on the 20 yard line. If you know of anyone who would like to purchase let me know. Check out the seating plan of Aviva for location of seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

CBS experts’ predictions for Georgia Tech finishing position in the Coastal Division of the ACC:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Definitely going ahead anyway (not that we ever doubted it)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/aviva-american-football-clash-will-go-ahead-despite-bitter-dispute-between-organisers-and-irish-sports-body-34995720.html

Interesting bit below

Irish American Events issued a statement from a spokesperson this afternoon where they outlined a list of alleged financial demands from the IAFA.

"IAFA demanded a corporate box for 30 people, a combined fee of €22,000 to cover both the College and High School Games, 1,000 tickets at 20% discount, €10,000 worth of advertising in the Game Programme and the right to sit on various organising committees. Irish American Events were not in a position to accede to these demands," the spokesperson said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

gufc21 wrote: »
    Ditto, even with the 15% off

€30 isn't bad in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Does anyone know if the game will definitely commence at 12.30? I know it specifies that on the ticket but I'm just wondering/hoping that there might be some sort of shennanigans on beforehand. I've something I need to go to on Saturday morning so I'm just concerned about missing the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

The bands should be on before the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Does anyone know if the game will definitely commence at 12.30? I know it specifies that on the ticket but I'm just wondering/hoping that there might be some sort of shennanigans on beforehand. I've something I need to go to on Saturday morning so I'm just concerned about missing the start.

Kick off will be 12.30. It's the only game on at that time and is being carried by ESPN2

Wouldn't worry too much though. I missed the start of the last one and still enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Dodge wrote: »
    Kick off will be 12.30. It's the only game on at that time and is being carried by ESPN2

Wouldn't worry too much though. I missed the start of the last one and still enjoyed it

What is on nearby/in town beforehand? such an early kick off is ridiculous. Temple Bar with Penn State marching band etc was great last year (or was that 2 yrs ago jaysus?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Leslie91 wrote: »
    What is on nearby/in town beforehand? such an early kick off is ridiculous. Temple Bar with Penn State marching band etc was great last year (or was that 2 yrs ago jaysus?).

Ye that was two years ago, we plan on just heading into slatterys for a bit of atmosphere before kickoff, pity it's such an early kickoff but also understandable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The IAFA are really coming across childish imo anyway. The game boosts the popularity of the sport in Ireland and they should be trying to reach an agreement with the organisers to put this behind them. A proper sit down could iron down a lot of these troubles but they're more concerned with putting out press releases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That's all well and good, but absolutely nothing I've read has suggested that the game going ahead hinges on the IAFA sanctioning it.

It will either go ahead with their approval or without it. But the NCAA will recognize the game either way.

This whole dispute is just about money, and IAFA not willing to rubber stamp it until they get what they believe they are owed. I don't believe the game has ever been under threat, and IAFA's sanctioning/not sanctioning of it doesn't change anything as far as the NCAA are concerned.

Im all for having governing bodies and rules and regulations but some of the Board members in the IAFA are a little suspect... ive never been a fan of Mr Smith as president and the fact that most of them on the board are fimiliar and friends or family outside of the IAFA is very suspect....

But i do think rather than negatively sending out this stuff they should be pushing to get contact with the organisers.... like surely with the success of the League growing it would be more valuable to the league to have teams from ireland have there squads on the field at half time to promote them - or have a flag game with the irish team represented playing an irish b team etc.... thats worth more than any negative press releases etc.

Wouldnt it be great if there was 5-6 reps from each team in ireland - Galway Warrios, SK Soldiers, Dublin Rebels, Carrick Knights etc., on the field in jerseys to promote each team in order to push numbers and interest levels.

That's all well and good, but absolutely nothing I've read has suggested that the game going ahead hinges on the IAFA sanctioning it.

It will either go ahead with their approval or without it. But the NCAA will recognize the game either way.

This whole dispute is just about money, and IAFA not willing to rubber stamp it until they get what they believe they are owed. I don't believe the game has ever been under threat, and IAFA's sanctioning/not sanctioning of it doesn't change anything as far as the NCAA are concerned.

Yeah exactly, the whole press release is almost acting like they believe that the game is cancelled now when in actual fact the IAFA are irrelevant to the game at this stage.

Yeah exactly, the whole press release is almost acting like they believe that the game is cancelled now when in actual fact the IAFA are irrelevant to the game at this stage.

I take it they won't be getting their corporate box and discounted tickets then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

I take it they won't be getting their corporate box and discounted tickets then?

Their demand list was ridiculously excessive for what is essentially a rubber stamp. Its no wonder they got refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

The IAFA have done nothing but tarnish the sport in this country and as someone who was involved for a long time in the IAFL it saddens me to see such childish behavior. On one hand I agree with the whole governing body thing but on the other hand the demands they set forth are just plain ridiculous and doesn't surprise me they asked for way too much and then said "Its to help the sport develop here"

The game will go ahead and the IAFA even if they are right to some tiny extent will come off as nothing more than money grabbing ****. Such a shame that both sides couldn't work it out.

I will say though the organizers carry some of the blame also looking at both sides arguments as always the truth is always somewhere in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Wheres the best place to go pre match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭csirl

There’s always more than meets the eye about these things.

IAFA did not ask for anything from the game. It did not request money, boxes or any else. It only asked the organisers to comply with the basic standards for running a game in Ireland. Read the original documents at on the IAFA website posts.

The organisers – Irish American Events Limited (IAEL) have engaged in a dirty tricks media campaign aimed at putting pressure on IAFA or on the Government to put pressure on IAFA. They need this game sanctioned.

The organisers are not a ‘big business’ multi million euro organisation. IAEL is a new Irish company set up by two aspiring part time promoters – a chef called Padraic O’Kane (Fire Restaurant on Dawson St) and a travel agent called John Anthony. This is their first ever major event. You could write what the pair know about American football on a postage stamp. IAEL is also 50% owned by a Northern Ireland company called Ballywillin which has a turnover in the low 10,000s in recent years. This company was so cash strapped it even asked IAFA for a €1,500 donation to its costs several months ago – which IAFA paid to help them.

The big problem is insurance. Their cover isn’t good enough. So they cant give the IAFA an indemnity against the on field action. Why does IAFA need an indemnity? If there is a serious incident, it may get sued as it is the overseeing National Governing Body. The tragic case of Michael Watson v British Boxing Board of Control is a good example (google it). Something like this would kill the sport in Ireland.

There were also other issues with their sanction application – quality of paperwork submitted was terrible – very amateur.

Why is IAEL so vexed about not getting sanction? Why does it care? Yes, NCAA may not care. Yes, the Government may not want to stop them because it doesn’t want another Garth Brooks scenario. Answer – these events usually get government support. This game is getting 100,000s in grant aid. Grants are normally only given to National Governing Body approved events.

One of the big questions about this game is how this company got substantial grant aid when other more experienced bidders for the event e.g. Croke Park, didn’t. The story about them rescuing the event is a PR myth. They bid for the event in parallel with Croke Park (and possibly others). And John Anthony even had a face to face meeting with Minister Paschal Donohue in August 2014 concerning grant aid to their bid.

Also, IAFA informed the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport about the insurance issues 9 months ago and gave it more or less monthly updates since then. This problem probably could have been solved by the Department a few months ago, but they ignored the warnings.

My sense is that the Department just wants this event over and done with and is hoping the teams get back home safely - thats why it said the game could go ahead, but the IAFA wouldn't be forced into sanctioning it. They know IAEL have effectively knocked themselves out of this industry.

Of course there's always more than meets the eye. Like what name you post the rest of your comments with. Or did someone form the IAFA register specifically to make that post?

I presume you're some way associated with the IAFA so can you categorically deny that you/they looked for 20% off 1,000 tickets and the corporate box?

Of course there's always more than meets the eye. Like what name you post the rest of your comments with. Or did someone form the IAFA register specifically to make that post?

I presume you're some way associated with the IAFA so can you categorically deny that you/they looked for 20% off 1,000 tickets and the corporate box?

Im not speaking for IAFA, but I am a member of IAFA and know what happened.

IAFA did not ask for these things. Look at the 3 letters that can be downloaded on the IAFA website. You can see exactly what IAFA asked for.

• Advertisement

The problem here is when you have verifiably untrue statements such as "They need this game sanctioned" in your post it throws the whole rest of it into question. There is absolutely no requirement to have the game sanctioned.

I would be very surprised if Irish American Events Limited (IAEL) had published completely fabricated claims, as you state, as there would be a legal case there waiting to happen.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The problem here is when you have verifiably untrue statements such as "They need this game sanctioned" in your post it throws the whole rest of it into question. There is absolutely no requirement to have the game sanctioned.

I would be very surprised if Irish American Events Limited (IAEL) had published completely fabricated claims, as you state, as there would be a legal case there waiting to happen.

What do you think will happen when IAEL, or people involved, goes in looking for money to bid for the next game?. And their competitors have an impeccable record?

Will IAEL even exist after the game. Temporary limited company?

Maybe IAFA will sue?

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    On one hand I agree with the whole governing body thing but on the other hand the demands they set forth are just plain ridiculous and doesn't surprise me they asked for way too much and then said "Its to help the sport develop here"

How can you ask for less than nothing. If you count the €1,500 contribution IAFA asked for minus €1,500.

Compare and contrast this game with the 2014 game. GAA made a big effort to involve the sport locally and promote it. IAEL has no interest in the sport. Even if the game was sanctioned they would have done nothing.

csirl wrote: »
    How can you ask for less than nothing. If you count the €1,500 contribution IAFA asked for minus €1,500.

Compare and contrast this game with the 2014 game. GAA made a big effort to involve the sport locally and promote it. IAEL has no interest in the sport. Even if the game was sanctioned they would have done nothing.

Reading through all the documents both sides are to blame the IAFA more so that the IAEL but to some extent but the IAEL really don't have to do jack sh1t for the sport locally if they don't want to. Not that I agree with that to be honest as it is bad form but its the truth.

As for the documents the IAFA posted up do you honestly believe they would post up documents that would incriminate themselves? Both the IAFA and IAEL acted like children in this and the IAFA don't exactly have a stellar record with 3rd party event organisers.

The IAFA have done more damage to their own reputation with everyone but some of those involved in the association and it doesn't matter if they throw up paperwork and "proof" as lets face it all the general public will ever believe is that the IAFA are money grabbing *****. Like shouting murderer or rapist at someone people don't care the truth or allowing the accused party try clear their name. They should have just their blessing to the game and moved the fook on.

csirl wrote: »

This line makes no sense. Firstly where are you getting the 1500 from? And asking for less than 1500? And as for asking for nothing? They had a list of demands in the sanction letter on their website including legal fees which are the legal fees they are fighting for now.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Reading through all the documents both sides are to blame the IAFA more so that the IAEL but to some extent but the IAEL really don't have to do jack sh1t for the sport locally if they don't want to. Not that I agree with that to be honest as it is bad form but its the truth.

As for the documents the IAFA posted up do you honestly believe they would post up documents that would incriminate themselves? Both the IAFA and IAEL acted like children in this and the IAFA don't exactly have a stellar record with 3rd party event organisers.

The IAFA have done more damage to their own reputation with everyone but some of those involved in the association and it doesn't matter if they throw up paperwork and "proof" as lets face it all the general public will ever believe is that the IAFA are money grabbing *****. Like shouting murderer or rapist at someone people don't care the truth or allowing the accused party try clear their name. They should have just their blessing to the game and moved the fook on.

What do you expect IAFA to do? IAFA didn't ask to be involved. IAEL approached IAFA and asked to apply for sanction. As the NGB IAFA must facilitate.

There are several games a year that go through the sanction process. Its easy. NYPD football team are playing Trinity College tomorrow - no problems. Sewanee Univ played in Ireland in May, no problems.

2014 Croke Park game - took less than 1hr to agree the terms. Everyone happy.

Question? Why are there always problems with Aviva Stadium games and/or those associated. Even though the applicants are different. Something in the water there?

Around 20 events involving visiting teams sanctioned in past few years with no problems.

There are several games a year that go through the sanction process. Its easy. NYPD football team are playing Trinity College tomorrow - no problems. Sewanee Univ played in Ireland in May, no problems.

You can't compare these games as they actually do involve IAFL teams and 100% require sanctioning by the IAFA. And they are exhibition games.
    2014 Croke Park game - took less than 1hr to agree the terms. Everyone happy.

2012 didn't go so well isnt there still a legal issue with that one also?
    Question? Why are there always problems with Aviva Stadium games and/or those associated. Even though the applicants are different. Something in the water there?

irrelevant point really.
    Around 20 events involving visiting teams sanctioned in past few years with no problems.

Again see my post above about some of those teams needing IAFA sanctioning because the involve IAFL team. Totally different kettle of fish. As for some of the high school games included in this the organisers of those previous ones have had a good relationship with people in the IAFL and teams in IAFL for many years long before these regular season NCAA games became a thing again.

Edit - removing the discussion of terms because I feel we don't have the full story here even if both sides posted up documents I feel there is something we are all missing and thus becomes the real answer is somewhere in between as to why this is a sh1t show.

Either way the only loser here when it comes to reputation is going to be the IAFA as again the general public these days don't care about details. They will only see the legal battle with NAvy from 2012 and now this. That alone harms the local game more than most.

csirl - are you the same guy posting about this over on reddit under the name "the straylight run"?

csirl - are you the same guy posting about this over on reddit under the name "the straylight run"?

No, I'm not on reddit at all. Can you send a link? Would be interested in reading.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure csirl is more than just a member of IAFA, that's some pretty strong defending right there.

I'm fairly sure csirl is more than just a member of IAFA, that's some pretty strong defending right there.

Clearly hell hath no fury like a man scorned in his request for free corporate box seats.

Just watched the Penn State/UCF game again... Man that was a frigging thriller. Last second win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Yeah essentially ncaa bc or gt could care less about iafa who are essentially just trying to squeeze money out of iael. Laughable when u think the threats they were making about this game being cancelled. I'm pretty sure ncaa or espn could care less about some mickey mouse nickel and dime organisation here in Ireland.

I notice that the Independent has had to remove the allegedly libelous part of the story about IAFA making demands for obvious reasons.

Maybe posters here might consider revising their comments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I maybe brought to this game through work. My boss is entertaining some Americans.

Any idea on time lines? When does it start? When would you expect it to finish?

• Advertisement

^ kick off at noon. Activities -bands, cheerleaders etc will be before this. Allow up to 3 hours for the game (timeouts & stopages).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

godtabh wrote: »
    I maybe brought to this game through work. My boss is entertaining some Americans.

Any idea on time lines? When does it start? When would you expect it to finish?

12:30 - 18:00

As poster above said, there'll be stuff on before the game (cheerleaders, marching band, pep rally), and the game (60 minute play clock) will last around 3 hours.

http://hub.collegefootballireland.com/events/

The game itself will be over long before 6pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Live near by and need to get home for something so finishing at 6 would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭davetherave

Yeah essentially ncaa bc or gt could care less about iafa who are essentially just trying to squeeze money out of iael. Laughable when u think the threats they were making about this game being cancelled. I'm pretty sure ncaa or espn could care less about some mickey mouse nickel and dime organisation here in Ireland.

Yeah but it is fcuk all to do with ncaa or espn. IAFA are the recognised NGB for American Football in Ireland much the same as the FAI, IRFU, the GAA the LGFA or Hockey Ireland. The authority to sanction games rest solely with the NGB. If this IAEL crowd weren't playing by the rules then IAFA were well within their rights to refuse them permission to go ahead. Much the same as the FAI have done in the past, and again

The NCAA, or the ACC or the Big 10 or the Mountain West or PAC-12 are the National Governing Body of fcuk all in Ireland. The International Federation of American Football, (the AF equivalent of FIFA, IRB etc.) have stated that responsibility rests with IAFA.

Have a look at the leagues by-laws. Pages 28-30 refer to International Matters and Sanctioning.
    In particular
    2.3. All American football games played in Ireland which do not involve a team affiliated to or fielded by a member organisation require sanction from the IAFA.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement