Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In American Football That Grind Your Gears

• 20-10-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a great sport, but what about it drives you mad? Some of mine:

Kick-offs being scheduled for a certain time but not actually starting until 20 minutes later.

Wide receivers drawing so many soft pass interference calls, leading to the corners having an almost impossible job.

So many adverts. Touchdown - advert - extra point - advert - kick off - advert. Thank Christ for Redzone on Sunday's!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ads, ads and ads, I have no idea how Americans can put up with so many ad breaks.

UK based coverage acting as iv each and every match has an audience comprised 100% of people who have no understanding of the sport.

The fact that we're 5 hours behind the states and the impact that has on my coffee stocks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have a few things that bug me in the game, but I should wait to post them cause I have Heineken brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

The amount of low quality media that is passed off as informative or analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The constant worshipping of the US military. I wouldn't mind it if in moderation, but it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jamie Dukes, Heath Evans and plenty more

Fans that give players abuse over fantasy football. Ray Rice recieved death threats this season over FF

World Champions. If Clare called themselves World Champions in hurling they would be ridiculed :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DPI! DPI1! DPI!

Nearly every fecking game, you'll see a fine piece of pass defense getting overturned by a DPI call. Fart on a WR and there goes a penalty. All to often they overlook a OPI, which a WR may have been responsible for on the same play. The job of the secondary is tough enough as it is without there been such a bias toward the offense. Pass happy league or not, rules are rules and PI goes both ways so lets start calling it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Skip Bayless. Blackouts on gamepass. Sleep deprivation. The Super Bowl halftime show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stupid nicknames - Cowgirls, Teddy Bears, Aints, Viqueens etc.

Stupid fight songs that sound like things you'd give to an infant to rhyme off.

Ad's. The word 'suck'. The super bowl halftime show.

I've often said that American football is a great sport, but if only you could take the 'American' out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

DPI is the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The fact that unlike soccer they utilise a high amount of technology to assist in officiating the game yet they seem to make the same similar bs calls every other game.

The military stuff is a bit cringey too tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Stupid nicknames - Cowgirls, Teddy Bears, Aints, Viqueens etc.

Stupid fight songs that sound like things you'd give to an infant to rhyme off.

Ad's. The word 'suck'. The super bowl halftime show.

I've often said that American football is a great sport, but if only you could take the 'American' out of it

I think everything in its DNA screams American, from the high intensity, the bravado of players to the fans and the sheer spectacle. Most of the stuff people praise comes from the same arena as the things people are complaining about, they're all intertwined and contribute to each other.

Taking the 'American' out of American football would be like taking the Irish out of Gaelic football. It is what is it is, for better and for worse, because of where it was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mike Mayock's commentating. He's knowledgeable but jesus his voice goes through my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Using stats to analyse how well or poorly a player plays! No objection to using them as part of your analysis but basing your opinion solely on stats pisses me off no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Paully D wrote: »
    So many adverts. Touchdown - advert - extra point - advert - kick off - advert. Thank Christ for Redzone on Sunday's!
    This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

How some of the players are absolute idiots. DUIs, Drugs, Weapons, the occasional murder etc. Incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The nausiatingly contrived and attention seeking pep talks players give on the field before a game, purely for the cameras (brooking, etc).

Anything produced or aired by the NFL network.

Television analysis in general. It's all so scripted and shallow. From the pre-rehearsed arm waving pundits to the vacuous sideline reporting.

Ads. Dear god the ads.

Teams punting on 4th and short in opposition territory.

Team owners being presented the Lombardi trophy.

DPI.

QBs getting such preferential protection.

Deon Saunders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

QBs getting too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. Boring commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

How some of the players are absolute idiots. DUIs, Drugs, Weapons, the occasional murder etc. Incredibly frustrating.

This one for me. The mind boggles at the utter stupidity of players.

Too many penalties in general for borderline calls on DPI & roughing the passer

The Ad's

Heath Evans, Darren Sharper, Deion Sanders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I think it's a bit dis-respectful to look in at America from Europe and criticise how much they hail their military.

Every country has their traditions, some weird some wonderful. I think it is worse to poke fun at those who worship the U.S. Army than to actually worship the U.S. Army.

I don't mind all the Americanisms but I don't like how a player commits the most stupid and pointless holding offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Culture of leaving a game if your team is losing well. Prime example of why you shouldn't do this was the Patriots game last week but some times you can see a stadium 80% empty half way through the 4th. As a fan you should be there with your team through the rough and the smooth.

People who evaluate a QB using their W-L record alone.

People who complain about a teams performance because they've a poxy €5 bet on. Enjoy the game for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Fickle fans. Take the Colts fans, many will magically disappear once they go back to being garbage like they were in the 80's. It just seems to me like they got a lot of their fan base after Manning showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Every country has their traditions, some weird some wonderful. I think it is worse to poke fun at those who worship the U.S. Army than to actually worship the U.S. Army.

I have to agree, then they are after all involved in a war in Afghanistan. So I can understand their pride in the military. Without politicising too much, it's small town America that bears the brunt of these wars. What a lot of people over here don't understand is, very often the only opportunity you have in a small town America is the military route. You sign up for a few years and in return when you leave, the military will fund and support your college education. So most people over there are fierce proud of their individual soldiers and I get that. Yet at the same time they'll have absolutely no time for Obama and Bush.

I have to agree, then they are after all involved in a war in Afghanistan. So I can understand their pride in the military. Without politicising too much, it's small town America that bears the brunt of these wars. What a lot of people over here don't understand is, very often the only opportunity you have in a small town America is the military route. You sign up for a few years and in return when you leave, the military will fund and support your college education. So most people over there are fierce proud of their individual soldiers and I get that. Yet at the same time they'll have absolutely no time for Obama and Bush.

Don't get me wrong I understand why they worship the ordinary serviceman etc. but what the military does overseas is a disgrace. Obviously that's not the ordinary servicemans decision but I find the whole worship thing far too cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Breast Cancer Awareness Month...a fcuking month, are you sh1tting me?

The season is only 6 months long and a 6th of the season is full of pink flags, pink cleats, pink towels, etc. I know its for a good cause where they are raising money and all but of the cancers its the easiest to detect and most curable.

No way I don't come off a dick criticizing Breast Cancer Awareness Month but wouldn't one Sunday be enough?

Don't get me started on the NFLs new attempt to bring cash diversity into the NFL with Latino Heritage Month...its not even a fcuking month, its from September 15th to October 15th, what genius organized that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Culture of leaving a game if your team is losing well. Prime example of why you shouldn't do this was the Patriots game last week but some times you can see a stadium 80% empty half way through the 4th. As a fan you should be there with your team through the rough and the smooth.

tbf the Red Sox were playing in the playoffs an hour after the Pats game finished and with the traffic out of Foxboro, you'd have to leave early to stand any chance of seeing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Red Crow wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I understand why they worship the ordinary serviceman etc. but what the military does overseas is a disgrace. Obviously that's not the ordinary servicemans decision but I find the whole worship thing far too cringeworthy.

Yeah and the next time there's a new hitler on the loose lookin to fcuk your country, you'll be only too happy to hail 'Merica fcuk yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Hazys wrote: »

The season is only 6 months long and a 6th of the season is full of pink flags, pink cleats, pink towels, etc. I know its for a good cause where they are raising money and all but of the cancers its the easiest to detect and most curable.

No way I don't come off a dick criticizing Breast Cancer Awareness Month but wouldn't one Sunday be enough?

Don't get me started on the NFLs new attempt to bring cash diversity into the NFL with Latino Heritage Month...its not even a fcuking month, its from September 15th to October 15th, what genius organized that?

Agree, and it's not about health awareness, it's much more about promoting the game to women and selling pink crap. Couple of good articles on it recently:

Pink-Shaded Marketing

The NFL's Campaign Against Breast Cancer Is a Total Scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry, but you ARE coming off as a bit of a prat. You do know it's Breast Cancer Awareness month worldwide, don't you? I don't see it so much here, but it's big at home in the UK. A little reading and understanding of what breast cancer awareness means wouldn't do you any harm. If all the pink stuff annoys you, then don't watch!

Getting back to the OP. I hate how some commentators describe plays using gobbledegook. It makes them sound pretentious.

Oh - and Greg Gumble (although you don't hear so much from him nowadays). he sounds just like Kermit the Frog. Every time I hear him, I look round for Miss Piggy!

Yeah and the next time there's a new hitler on the loose lookin to fcuk your country, you'll be only too happy to hail 'Merica fcuk yeah!

Jesus, nice to see the brainwashing extends to this side Atlantic.

• Advertisement

The fact that unlike soccer they utilise a high amount of technology to assist in officiating the game yet they seem to make the same similar bs calls every other game.

The military stuff is a bit cringey too tbh

I used to hate the military stuff, but then I went there and I finally "got" it.

And now I think it's really nice how the US respect their troops, even when they disagree with foreign policy or strategy, they respect those who put their lives on the line. Some of the memorials in Washington to the fallen in Vietnam or Korea are amazing places. Whether it has a place in sport I guess is debateable, but I like it.

Anything that can be done towards helping breast cancer is to be applauded. I have now doubt that there are alterior motives (attracting women to the game, selling of gear) but if anything at all is gained from it then I'd happily accept the shameless marketing side of it

I used to hate the military stuff, but then I went there and I finally "got" it.

And now I think it's really nice how the US respect their troops, even when they disagree with foreign policy or strategy, they respect those who put their lives on the line. Some of the memorials in Washington to the fallen in Vietnam or Korea are amazing places. Whether it has a place in sport I guess is debateable, but I like it.

I'm not arguing against their respect for their military, purely the often relentless exposure of it during NFL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Guys on defense trying to put a highlight reel hit in on a receiver, missing and the receiver going an extra 10 yards whereas a simple wrap up tackle would have ended the play there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Whenever a team is one score down with less than 2 minutes to go and end up turning the ball over, the game is essentially finished with the timeouts, and knee the winning team can take. I understand why the winning team would do it of course, but it'd be great to see a really tight game towards the end regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Ads

Quality of the "fans".
    Rugby is the only sport I attend often.
    I'll sat through defeats till the bitter end to applaud the team off.

Hate seeing an empty stadium by the 3rd quater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The poor lads that are Kickers and punters being treated like 2nd class citizens! They are only there cos the glory boys don't do their job properly.

The cursed time difference is a pain too, but that's what sky plus is for. Going to watch last night's channel 4 game when I get in, and have avoided all spoilers all day, and won't look at this thread again now cos someone won't be able to help themselves.

And ads, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jesus, nice to see the brainwashing extends to this side Atlantic.

Thankfully it's English your typing and not German. Thanks again America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't care about fake jerseys, spend your money as you wish

But at least get a decent fake! In a sea of purple the Baltimore fans in their NY Giants blue are a like a lighthouse in the fog, you can't help but notice them.

Just looks ridiculous on camera, that's all.

The poor lads that are Kickers and punters being treated like 2nd class citizens! They are only there cos the glory boys don't do their job properly.

http://www.bustedtees.com/puntersarepeopletoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cheap hits. A WR/TE/RB etc gets the ball (from a pass), has barely time to adjust & see where he's at and........BAM, he's hit/pulverised from behind or the side, and the crowd go wild (doh!) and the defender goes wild (bigger doh!), that's pretty lame and not a bit manly.

Helmet to lower body (especially knee) hits, another un-manly side of the game.

• Advertisement

Cheap hits. A WR/TE/RB etc gets the ball (from a pass), has barely time to adjust & see where he's at and........BAM, he's hit/pulverised from behind or the side, and the crowd go wild (doh!) and the defender goes wild (bigger doh!), that's pretty lame and not a bit manly.

Helmet to lower body (especially knee) hits, another un-manly side of the game.

I would disagree with you on the 1st point but 100% with you on the 2nd point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

yeah 1st point seems like your saying that you hate when defenders don't give up free yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Most of my gripes covered by people already but one that does my head in is lads celebrating first downs, sacks, TD's etc whilst the team they are playing for his in the middle of being hammered. Selfish egotistical ****.

Barry Sanders had it correct, Larry Fitz nowadays does too, just hand the ball back to the referee and go back to the bench. If the TD or Sack means something then by all means show emotion or do a dance but not when your down 21 in the 4th quarter.

The other is a bit of a personal annoyance I reckon but the old domed stadiums.

Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Rams - Too gloomy.

Discount double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

The jokes in pre game and half time shows. SWEET JESUS!

Michael Irvin, Sapp, Sanders and pretty much everyone else. Horrific humour that is so tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Anything that can be done towards helping breast cancer is to be applauded. I have now doubt that there are alterior motives (attracting women to the game, selling of gear) but if anything at all is gained from it then I'd happily accept the shameless marketing side of it

If you are all for it then why stop at 1 month?
    Why not a whole season of pink?

Or perhaps November is testical month, December brain cancer month.... January is for the bowel... Etc.

Can never have enough "awareness".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you are all for it then why stop at 1 month?
    Why not a whole season of pink?

Or perhaps November is testical month, December brain cancer month.... January is for the bowel... Etc.

Can never have enough "awareness".

Careful now, I see that Just for Men are hopping aboard the Movember bandwagon with some ads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think this backs up what I was on about earlier, viz cheap hits, it's about as manly as hitting/punching a defenseless woman or child :mad:
    ie. Brandon Meriweather banned 2 games for illegal hits

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

/argument

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

the fact that it exists

• Advertisement
Advertisement