Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 is the new 18

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I turned 30 a few weeks ago. Considering the abuse I gave my body in my twenties - out 4 or 5 nights a week, I feel way younger than I did then. You smarten up as you get older. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

At 33 I'm starting to feel like an adult only recently, and it's pretty scary tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

SV wrote: »
    I'm 25 and still feel like a child.

This is illegal. I think you have a neurological abnormality. See a therapist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Steamed Hams

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    At 33 I'm starting to feel like an adult only recently, and it's pretty scary tbh

What's scary about it?

What's scary about it?

One should probably start thinking about acting like a grown up and not carrying on like a 25 year old with no responsibilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

pajor wrote: »
    I think it's got to do with college really and all for the better IMO. Until you've done the stint in college and fly the nest, most (including myself) haven't really been exposed to the big bad world.

College isn't the big bad world. College is insulation from the big bad world. The world kicks in when you leave college and are faced with the task of getting a job and other such things.

I went to London as a teenager and worked for a few years as a machine operator in an industrial dump. I had my own flat, paid my own bills, had to make an effort to make new friends etc. I decided to do a degree in UCC and it was the handiest number ever. Do a few essays, drink the sh*t out of it, automatic circle of friends and peers/sports clubs etc. Live in a shared house supported by a state grant and work in jobs that had f*ck all responsibility.

Going to college is living in a cocoon for three or four years, a time when you can get ass-faced on a Thursday afternoon, ride all around you and basically do whatever you bloody want. It's far from the "real world".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm 22 and I'm maturing faster than the nazis at the end of The Last Crusade.

Either that or I've been drinking at the wrong bars. :P Joking don't drink

But seriously I was a mature 18 year old in terms of work and discipline and level headness , so much so that I only felt I found myself in college.

Yeah, Yeah its not the big bad world, but the right person will florish there, if they appreciate and realise the insane oppurtunity they've handed.

I realised I was a big extrovert yet I hadn't the life experiences and the right people too know it, if anything anybody would tell you that was one the soundest, but quietest guys you could meet. I suppose I was always an extrovert but didn't know it.

Secondary school for me felt:

felt like I was sitting on the launch pad for years, and the excitement began to wane;waiting for mission control to give me the go ahead after countless aborted attempts. I just wanted to leave the goddamn atmosphere

Not too toot my horn, subconsciously I knew I was funny in secondary school and had the potential to be good with women, but I always had this almost zany like giddy,witty vibe that I felt had being bet out of me by structured classes and GAA, 200+ rural max school.

I found more maturity and craic in the year below me than I did with my own year, so much so I was like wow wish I'd being born a year earlier.

Bottom line
    I was mature, but I wasn't happy.

In college, The biggest realisation in first month was " Damn, I'm normal, "Fist Punch the air", in fact I'm really good at this **** and NOT JUST at the things I expected, maybe better than most people"

So I was say a lot of being mature is finding your "tribe ", and being truly yourself
    All change is internal anyways.
    I still feel 18 and mature, but dealing with the real world, crap being thrown your own way is just more stuff and I'm glad I've to deal with it in a way, means I'm alive!

If you were mature when you were younger, you'll be just the same in the future, maybe better.
    If you were immature when you were younger, you'll probaly be worse as you get older.

Maturity and anger,bitterness aren't mutually exclusive. The most mature people I know are the most happy,joyful people you could imagine.

I've had to navigate the bottomless pit that is 24/7 chronic pain/long term illness since I was 18, and so it does sicken to me a lot of people lecture on maturity, when they haven't fought many battles themselves. Levity, lightness, a little wonder and lots of smart, hard work is maturity

"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" Louis C.K

I'm 23 and definitely don't feel like a grown up. At all. I think it's 'cause I was always a very well behaved and somewhat sheltered teenager who was a bit naive as to the big bad world out there. My mother once told me she was worried about me as a teenager because I never got into trouble or did anything out of the way - she thought it meant I had no friends! (Which was only half true)

Started uni at 17 and by the time I was 19 or 20 I just became very disillusioned and depressed with everything. I'm still in that angsty rebellious teenager phase, even though I'll be 24 before the year is out. In some ways I feel like I missed out on my teenage years because I spent them studying and doing my homework instead of drinking cider in a field somewhere, and now I resent being expected to be an adult and know how stuff like employment and taxation work.. :(

So yeah, I'd definitely feel that under 25's can have an adolescent mentality.

Adamantium wrote: »
    I still feel 18 and mature

Well you're just gone 18 a couple of years ago in fairness, get over yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm a youth worker and our official guidelines from De Gubberment is that youth services are available to people aged from 10 years to 25 years, but each organisation/charity/service chooses the parameters they work in, based on the guidelines. Ie, some will work with 10-15 year olds, others with 16-20 and so on.

Your brain doesn't stop developing at 18 and a lot of people aren't emotionally mature until well after the finish college.

Basically saying "you are a child until you reach x years of age" is daft as some people develop mentally, physically and emotionally far quicker that others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the only reason young people aren't mature till mid 20s (in the western world) is because their let. You can be guaranteed a 14 year old street kid in a 3rd world country is plenty mature enough, simply out of necessity. Just like an 18 year old couple in the distant past would probably be well on their way to having their 2nd child by that age.

We're lucky in the west, we can have extended childhoods, in a way though I don't think they should be pandered too. I think one of the major reasons it takes so long is because we contain our children in a fantasy world of santa claus and superheros and it takes them a few years to recognise all those lies and readjust to the real world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ScumLord wrote: »
    you can be guaranteed a 14 year old street kid in a 3rd world country is plenty mature enough, simply out of necessity.

And if you were to do a psychological assessment of the same, you'd more than likely fine umpteen behaviorally issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's not your age it's what you've done. My mum left school at 14 and started working. Married at 22. Kids. That was the norm then. People now go to school till they're 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Seaneh wrote: »
    ScumLord wrote: »
    ou can be guaranteed a 14 year old street kid in a 3rd world country is plenty mature enough, simply out of necessity.

And if you were to do a psychological assessment of the same, you'd more than likely fine umpteen behaviorally issues.
    More than likely, the streets would put them at the mercy of all kinds of horrible people. So lets say a kid working on the family farm in the country. Would have had to work from a young age but as part of a family unit. They would have big responsibilities with a good standard of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

SantryRed wrote: »
    OR you're a Buzz Killington...

With out sounding arrogant I think I can safely say with some degree of confidence that I'm not viewed as a buzz killer by people.
    I think it has something to do with my relaxed nature more so. People also comment on how chilled out I seem. If only they new!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    This is illegal. I think you have a neurological abnormality. See a therapist.

lol wat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm 31 and I still don't feel like a proper grown up, nor do I want too. Life isn't short at all, it's fcuking long. Plenty of time to be middle-aged and sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

SV wrote: »
    lol wat

Providing that you only feel like a child is OK but acting on that impulse with someone under 16 is against the law. You could expect to get your collar felt if the gardai find out. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Providing that you only feel like a child is OK but acting on that impulse with someone under 16 is against the law. You could expect to get your collar felt if the gardai find out. :P

Ahhhhhhh god..right yeah, I get it now..that took me a surprisingly long time to get haha

Advertisement