Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Jenkins says that Martin Skrtel has had his head turned by Manchester City

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    UGH! A new manager being compared to Kenny Dalglish, while Dalglish looks over the shoulder of the new guy. All the wrong signals!

Its a wallpaper,not a 1 hour documentary on LFCTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

duncan_keith_jenkins:
    hullo abhi. re the players likely to leave. there will be no mast exodus but one or two will go. who they will be at this stage nobody knows but i can tell you martin skrtl definately had his head turned by manchester city. maxi is another who wants to go but he would fit into rodgers style of play so it remains to be seen if he can be convinced. i doubt it mates.

At least it means we would get a hugely overinflated fee for him. I am with Lloyd that you shouldn't reason these things away but better than losing him to some Italian club who screws us every which way on the deal.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Jenkins said Kenny/Commoli were going to loan out Coates as they were unsure of his ability.

He didn't get played because he was felt to be a potential liability. So he picked Carragher instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dub13 wrote: »
    Its a wallpaper,not a 1 hour documentary on LFCTV.

Its classic idolatry BS, give the man five minutes before attempting to induct him!

• Advertisement

Says we're committed to keeping Suarez and if he does leave it will be because he pushed for the move. He expects him to stay.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gbear wrote: »
    Are players allowed to have bad seasons unless they're a keeper? Or if a player has a bad season he should be sold full stop?

I'm not entirely sure what the situation is now but a few weeks ago it seemed our goalkeeping coach was going to be sacked. We also played too deep a line. Innumerable times in seasons past Reina would play the sweeper-keeper. It's quite likely under Rodgers he'd go back to that.

Looking around europe, there are few clubs who need him and even fewer of those could afford his fee and his wages.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

I don't think Reina actually had a bad season, just one that saw him well below the high standards that he had set in the past.

I think Reina playing poorly (by Reina standards) is probably still an average keeper by top league standards.

I think your point about the deeper line is a very valid one as that negates a lot of his sweeper keeper play, but what was an even bigger loss to his play, imho of course, was the almost total lack of options for a quick release of the ball by throw or kick. I lost count of the amount of times last season where Reina would get the ball, come running out towards the edge of the box, and then have to stop dead because the players up the field were still running with their backs to Reina. It totally wiped out that option for creating quick counter attacks that started with Pepe.

In seasons past Reina always had the likes of Alonso, Kuyt, Lucas, Torres, and Riera as the players who linked up very well with Reina's quick releases of the ball, but last season none of the players seemed to twig it, and game after game saw Reina glaring at players. Downing, Henderson, and Spearing in particular were amongst the worst for trotting upfield with their backs to Reina after Reina caught a ball/made a save. Enrique is another who stands out as being guilty of turning his back in that situation. I think the only players that offered Reina that outlet on a regular basis last season were Johnson and Suarez.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

amiable wrote: »
    Duncan Jenkins says Gaston Ramirez is a target.
    Just waiting for Slickric to confirm this :p

Saw it mentioned it on a Seria A site last week, name escapes me now. Popular one that some here might know. But yeah, the Bologna owner has put a 20M price on Ramirez. Can't remember if it were pounds or euros, probably the latter. I'd think if we got him, Sigurdsson would be less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

-Ade- wrote: »
    Saw it mentioned it on a Seria A site last week, name escapes me now. Popular one that some here might know. But yeah, the Bologna owner has put a 20M price on Ramirez. Can't remember if it were pounds or euros, probably the latter. I'd think if we got him, Sigurdsson would be less likely.

I think I read that too and it was Euro if I recall correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No Kess, Reina was just straight up poor...

• Advertisement

-Ade- wrote: »

It was euros alright. He said that was the minimum offer that they would consider.

italiansoccerseriea.com and football-italia.net each had videos up of the interview with Guaraldi that you mentioned. He also went on to say in the same interview that Ramirez is free to leave this summer once that valuation of the player is met. Guaraldi had made similar noises towards the end of the January transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kess73 wrote: »
    Enrique is another who stands out as being guilty of turning his back in that situation. I think the only players that offered Reina that outlet on a regular basis last season were Johnson and Suarez.

I don't think he's impressed with Enrique a whole pile to be honest. There were a number of occasions when the ball was crossed in far too easy and Reina was not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

The original point is that Reina may want to leave but some people are taking it up that we should sell Reina.

If the price is right, you should tbh. Anything crossing double digit millions would be a great result for Liverpool imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No Kess, Reina was just straight up poor...

No Lloyd, he has been poor by the standards he set. :p Straight up poor would mean, to me, that he was a liability more often than not last season, and I don't think that was true of him last season. But I will certainly concede that the feeling of "oh Pepe will get to that" was not there last season during games, with his positioning being very suspect at times. At least I hope that it was positioning last season because the alternative would be that his reflexes regressed dramatically in a very short span of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think he's impressed with Enrique a whole pile to be honest. There were a number of occasions when the ball was crossed in far too easy and Reina was not happy.

Didn't have an awful lot to say about him in the team sheet thing before the FA Cup final if I remember correctly. Think the most he could say was "He's a nice guy" or something similar.

Dunno if that has any relevance at all though tbh, but he did comment on the footballing ability of every other player as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, if Reina goes Doni will do just fine.

Reina could do with a change of scenery and the manager he wanted wasn't hired.

Doni really wouldnt do imo, he should be no more than a back up keeper for us. The guy brings the word dodgy to a whole new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dub13 wrote: »
    A lad on Irishkop some some super wallpapers,Sig's etc,he also does requests.Here is a sample of his work check him out on this thread...

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13622&page=6

1qie6e.png

2qk78m9.png

rl9s1w.png

I cant remember where i got my current wallpaper which is a pain coz the guy has some unbelievable detail in his work, think it was on deviantart, this image probably wont do the Liverbird wallpaper any justice but i likes it alot.

77725648.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

opr wrote: »
    At least it means we would get a hugely overinflated fee for him. I am with Lloyd that you shouldn't reason these things away but better than losing him to some Italian club who screws us every which way on the deal.

Opr

Why can't I see the Duncan Jenkins tweet ? Has he two accounts or am I following the wrong guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Actually also re Reina; I don't think I've seen a supposed top quality keeper beaten at his near post as often as the season gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That 'Heartland of Football Folklore' line is pretty embarrassing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think it's quality.

The LMA has confirmed that Steve Clarke has left Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You seem to have jumped in to the debate and assumed people are saying they want rid of Reina.
    The original point is that Reina may want to leave but some people are taking it up that we should sell Reina.

I wasn't assuming it of you but I've seen some today and before suggesting he should go and not just on this forum either.

There's nothing wrong with drawing attention to his faults or when he's had a bad run of games but I think we're lucky to have him and he's got an awful lot left to offer us if we play to his strengths and he can recover his form.
    Form is never in isolation. Players obviously play a large part but it's down to the management to get the best out of players. That hasn't happened at this club consistently for about 4 years.
    You can probably count on 1 hand the number of times in that period the entire team has been on song.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    I lost count of the amount of times last season where Reina would get the ball, come running out towards the edge of the box, and then have to stop dead because the players up the field were still running with their backs to Reina. It totally wiped out that option for creating quick counter attacks that started with Pepe.

Yeah. He'd sprint to the edge of the box, as is his want, and then look around, shrug, shake his head, sigh, and roll it to a defender.

Must be infuriating. I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking abroad but I don't think anyone who can afford him wants him except maybe PSG or some rich oil-funded team in russia or the middle east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

daithijjj wrote: »

There's a lot of talk him going to west brom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think it's quality.

and thus the difference between those who are not prone to gushing nonsense and those who are!

Rodgers spoke about the weight of the shirts on Liverpool players, already a manager (who many were non committal about at best) is being weighted down himself with foolish associations in fanboy artwork.

Poor old Pacheco is having to justify using negrito, bloody nonsense.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/154195.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

So it's Rodgers and his boys then.

Was hoping with the Chelsea link that Clarke would stick around with Rodgers.

Any news about a DOF dressed as an "adviser" yet ?

Jenkins expects it to be announced this week

There's a lot of talk him going to west brom

As coach or manager?

I can see why he has gone in fairness. If a new manager comes in and still has previous coach it might make a bit more difficult to change the philosophy around. This is probably best for everyone involved, wish him well.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Jenkins expects it to be announced this week

What's Skittles leaving ?

What do people think City would pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As coach or manager?

I can see why he has gone in fairness. If a new manager comes in and still has previous coach it might make a bit more difficult to change the philosophy around. This is probably best for everyone involved, wish him well.

As manager I'm led to believe

Leiva wrote: »
    What's Skittles leaving ?

What do people think City would pay?

I meant the dof/sporting director/management team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

cson wrote: »
    Actually also re Reina; I don't think I've seen a supposed top quality keeper beaten at his near post as often as the season gone.

I don't like this arguement that keepers shouldn't be beaten at thier near post. Alot of shots that beat him at the near post were rockets or wonder strikes like Van Persies.
    The keeper has to position himself to cover as much of the goal as possible and this means leaving a gap at his near post.

Every keeper gets beaten there, it shouldn't be the determining factor of them being considered world class or not.

Reina has been one of Liverpools best players for a number of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Forgot all about Nuri Sahin at Real Madrid. Would love to see us make a move for him.

Afellay at Barca would be another excellent signing.

Some great deals to be had out there for fringe players at top clubs.

Be delighted with Sahin, Sigurdsson, Afellay and a striker, that would be superb summer business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Forgot all about Nuri Sahin at Real Madrid. Would love to see us make a move for him.

Afellay at Barca would be another excellent signing.

Some great deals to be had out there for fringe players at top clubs.

Be delighted with Sahin, Sigurdsson, Afellay and a striker, that would be superb summer business.
    Are you serious? I mean really?

• Advertisement

Lucas would still need cover, I think.

G.K. wrote: »
    Lucas would still need cover, I think.

There is no thinking about it . If there was one thing we learned from last season it was how much we missed Lucas.

And a six yard box finisher.

Leiva wrote: »
    There is no thinking about it . If there was one thing we learned from last season it was how much we missed Lucas.

And a six yard box finisher.

I'd be hugely pessimistic/pissed if we go into the next season without both of these being bought.

I also don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that if Kenny had bought either one of these in January we'd of been 7-10 points better off.

kippy wrote: »
    Are you serious? I mean really?

I don't see why not. Afellay is a fringe player at Barca.

Sahin has barely featured for Real although Mourinho does rate him highly.

I'd also be willing to bet that Joe Allen would cost just as much as Sahin in terms of a transfer fee.

Affellay would be 12-15million max, which is hopefully within our budget.

I don't think its unrealistic for us to be in the market for players not featuring in the Barca/Real first XI.

I'd also be willing to bet that Joe Allen would cost just as much as Sahin in terms of a transfer fee.

I don't think its unrealistic for us to be in the market for players not featuring in the Barca/Real first XI.

Wages may be an issue here and CL football. Our best bet with Sahin would probably be a loan move with the option of a permanent move subject to CL qualification I'd imagine. Likewise Afellay.

Even then its probably a long shot. Once other teams got wind of them open to moves elsewhere I'd imagine competition would get pretty heavy, pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Van der Vaart and Sneijder were R.Madrid rejects as well once upon a time.

Skrtel is only average when Agger isn't along side him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

djPSB wrote: »
    Skrtel is only average when Agger isn't along side him.

I think its more to do with the fact that Carragher is beside him

Jenkins pointed out that no one has a clue at the moment who we're going to target (Gylfi excluded) as the scouting team has been working on targets for Kenny/Clarke. Rodgers might have completely different ideas, I think we might end up being linked with some interesting names over the next few weeks if his knowledge of European is as good as we're led to believe.

Opr

It's probably a combination of both.

But I wouldn't be too confident in a Skrtel-Coates back line either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

djPSB wrote: »

It's probably a combination of both.

But I wouldn't be too confident in a Skrtel-Coates back line either.

Probably because Coates is still green and was massively underused last season

The thing that puzzles me about Coates was I thought he looked quite good in the few games he played. Yeah he made some bad mistakes but overall he looked very promising. When you compare the games afforded to the likes of Adam, Henderson it's hard to make sense of it.

Opr

Adam and Henderson 'knew the league'.

Of course knowing the league can mean nothing at all, but Comolli knows best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

opr wrote: »
    The thing that puzzles me about Coates was I thought he looked quite good in the few games he played. Yeah he made some bad mistakes but overall he looked very promising. When you compare the games afforded to the likes of Adam, Henderson it's hard to make sense of it.

Opr

What do you think of Savic? Wonder if he'll leave City this Summer, you could possibly get him plus cash for Skrtel from them. I personally think Savic was thrown in at the deep end for City this season when he clearly wasn't ready and his confidence was shot. He was handled very badly by Mancini who should have been playing Richards at CB and Zabaleta at RB in important games when they were missing 2 of Kompany/Lescott/Toure. He eventually did at Chelsea, but the damage was done by that stage. He rarely featured (even on the bench) from there on in.

Don't have a clue what City's view on him is but if they sign Skrtel he isn't going to get any game time at all ahead of Kompany, Lescott, Skrtel and Toure (who they won't be able to move on because of his insane wages)

Lads i've missed the news on Skrtel, is he leaving or what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement