Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dotsey wrote: »
    He's from Antrim which last I checked was in Ireland.

He's still only 39, hopefully we can hijack Sigurdsson now aswell

Last time I checked Liverpool was in England, so a man from Northern Ireland would be from a different country.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

So Rodgers it is then? I'm not completely disappointed. Would've preferred someone like Capello or Rafa, though. Still, he has my full support and hopefully he can get us where we want to go. Good luck, boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Roll up lads, the book is open for Rodgers to get over 52 points next season. Levia, Lloyd open those wallets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

rodgers is younger than me - ouch!

I really wish him the best -

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have to baby step you through this:

Two years ago Hodgson was inferior to Benitez
    Today Rodgers is inferior to Dalglish

But the problem is that what you are saying is not completely correct.

First part is spot on, nailed it, Rafa should never in a million year of been given the boot and when he was Hodgson should never have been anywhere near the job.

Dalglish has had an ok 18 months, I don't think he should of gone either, but bar the top couple of managers in the world that are free to join a club there is the next tier where you look at managers with huge potential, Rodgers is comfortably in this category.

Anyway the point stands that they are in no way comparable, the only thing you are comparing them on is who went before them and not on themselves, and their own individual strenghts and weaknesses which as a rule is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Roll up lads, the book is open for Rodgers to get over 52 points next season. Levia, Lloyd open those wallets. :)

I already have action at an o / u of 64 pts so I'm set...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ok, first things first. His name is Brendan Rodgers, not 'Rogers'

We don't want another one of these Adam/ Adams debacles

Roger that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I really hate seeing the smart ass comments of he'll be gone by January and "we'll be paying the final 2 years of his contract in compensation lolz".

Did I want someone else? Yeah, but what's done is done and we should be supporting the bloke instead of cynically, and even almost sadistically, predicting his failure.

The attitude of some on here is sickening and I really expected more from 1 or 2 in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rodgers IS Hodgson 2.0, i.e. a downgrade on his predecessor
    Maybe based on past form - but of course you'll leave yourself closed to being suprised or giving the guy a chance Lloyd.

You're like a child throwing a fit with some of the shíte you've posted about a manager who's yet to lead us into a single game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh well. We've made another mistake but it can't be helped now.

May as well stop the moaning about him.

Welcome B-Rod:pac:

Don't **** this up.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Rodgers IS Hodgson 2.0, i.e. a downgrade on his predecessor
    Maybe based on past form - but of course you'll leave yourself closed to being suprised or giving the guy a chance Lloyd.

You're like a child throwing a fit with some of the shíte you've posted about a manager who's yet to lead us into a single game

I reserve the right to be irate at the same bull**** a mere two summers on. And I couldn't care less that my attitude is at odds with what most in here believe. In that respect it's just like, um, two years ago!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive watched this thread all along but didnt get involved until now.
    I really dont know what to make of Rodgers apart from i was in Anfield to see Swansea play us off the pitch in November.
    Is he the one for us?
    Will he be a flop?
    Who knows!

Either way best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I really hate seeing the smart ass comments of he'll be gone by January and "we'll be paying the final 2 years of his contract in compensation lolz".

Did I want someone else? Yeah, but what's done is done and we should be supporting the bloke instead of cynically, and even almost sadistically, predicting his failure.

The attitude of some on here is sickening and I really expected more from 1 or 2 in particular.

Bob I am guessing I am 1 of the 2 but I will get behind Rodgers like I did every other manager, but you have to admit that its like Ground Hog day at this stage, and just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

If It doesn't I will be the first to stand up and admit, but the hypocrisy from a different 1 or 2 on here (when you know what was said in the past) is also not helping .

Now where the hell is the news about the DOF or has Rodgers got full control :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not the man I hoped would get the job, but if he has backbone along with the ability to be ruthless, then he might surprise a few with where the team finishes next season.

I do think that he will need to bring in three, if not four, first teamers during the summer, and he needs to bring in players that can actually contribute to the team from the start of next season rather than buying big money players that are unable to contribute in a meaningful manner for at least their first year at the club.

Unsure as to whether this is a case of massive balls being shown by FSG or them taking a yes man option, but once we see what kind of players we are going after this summer then we will have a better idea.

I do think that we should have gone after the best available manager out there first, and then worked our way down if we were met with a refusal, but if Rodgers is in, then he gets backed from the stands when the season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I think all the UEFA Pro license holders in this thread are just disgruntled at not having been approached for the position of manager.

Meanwhile, back in supporter land, everyone should get behind the manager. He needs it and deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Got a tenner on him at 3/1 the other day, delighted.

I think all the UEFA Pro license holders in this thread are just disgruntled at not having been approached for the position of manager.

Meanwhile, back in supporter land, everyone should get behind the manager. He needs it and deserves it.

If Kenny Dalglish wasn't deserving of support during a season in which he led us to two finals, why does this no mark deserve it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is the plan still to install LVH as DOF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Article here about the way his system worked at Swansea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Disagree....i think he'll get the support from day one....after that he has to prove he deserves it.......

Neil3030 wrote: »

I hope so!

Neil3030 wrote: »

Who knows .

It seems Martinez couldn't agree terms so I'm guessing he wanted more power/control.

That bodes well then for a DOF for Rodgers .

But concerning that there may be a "yes" man as coach .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If Kenny Dalglish wasn't deserving of support during a season in which he led us to two finals, why does this no mark deserve it?

Stop living in the 80's. Kenny did nothing to justify the support you are clamouring for.

Who said Kenny didn't deserve support? He was given huge support by the fans. The same should be true of Rodgers. Either way, is it not a little bit silly to be calling someone who I would suggest is infinitely more qualified and experienced than you to coach and manage a premier league football team than you a 'no mark'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The thing is lads, if it was put to you a few months ago on whether we should sack Kenny for Rodgers, I doubt too many would have been in favour of it.

I don't get it myself tbh. Would of been happy to see Kenny sacked for the likes of Benitez, LVG or Capello, just not a manager who has yet to prove himself outside of a 9 month period in the PL.

I wish him all the best, and hopefully he can be successful at Liverpool for years. Really hoping that LVG is now appointed as DOF, otherwise I'm gonna be struggling for optimism ahead of the coming season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

No mark is a bit much... in 2000 a "no mark" was appointed manager of Benfica , when they elected a new president said no mark asked for a contract extension was refused and subsequently left after 9 games. Benfica president went on to say it was biggest mistake of his professional life.

The no mark was Jose Mourinho

We get behind the manager...and if he isn't up to the job we wont be long in finding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Article here about the way his system worked at Swansea

Disappointed this wasn't Kate Cohen.

Melion wrote: »
    Stop living in the 80's. Kenny did nothing to justify the support you are clamouring for.

Very harsh

NukaCola wrote: »
    Disagree....i think he'll get the support from day one....after that he has to prove he deserves it.......

How long have you supported Newcastle for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Non-plussed by the whole thing but i wish him well. Pissing me off that people are assuming the the people who wanted Kenny gone are happy with this appointment, for me neither has anything to do with each other.

I'm hoping Rodgers has fresh ideas and a strong plan for us something which i don't believe Kenny had at all. I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive watched this thread all along but didnt get involved until now.
    I really dont know what to make of Rodgers apart from i was in Anfield to see Swansea play us off the pitch in November.
    Is he the one for us?
    Will he be a flop?
    Who knows!

Either way best of luck to him.

The rewriting of history has already begun apparently.

Shots on target?
    Liverpool 5, Swansea 3
    Shots off target?
    Liverpool 12, Swansea 6
    Blocked shots?
    Liverpool 8, Swansea 2
    Corners
    Liverpool 11, Swansea 4
    Passing Success?
    Liverpool 83%, Swansea 86%
    Possession?
    Liverpool 52%, Swansea 48%
    Territorial advantage?
    Liverpool 66%, Swansea 34%
    Total passes?
    Liverpool 512, Swansea 470
    Total crosses?
    Liverpool 36, Swansea 18

Where exactly were we played off the park there?

How long have you supported Newcastle for?

Feel free to argue the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The rewriting of history has already begun apparently.

Shots on target?
    Liverpool 5, Swansea 3
    Shots off target?
    Liverpool 12, Swansea 6
    Blocked shots?
    Liverpool 8, Swansea 2
    Corners
    Liverpool 11, Swansea 4
    Passing Success?
    Liverpool 83%, Swansea 86%
    Possession?
    Liverpool 52%, Swansea 48%
    Territorial advantage?
    Liverpool 66%, Swansea 34%
    Total passes?
    Liverpool 512, Swansea 470
    Total crosses?
    Liverpool 36, Swansea 18

Where exactly were we played off the park there?

football is not played on paper.

I don't think they played us off the park, but they definitely gave as good as they got.

I'm hoping Rodgers has fresh ideas and a strong plan for us something which i don't believe Kenny had at all. I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised.

I hope he is a ruthless bóllox but we need to get into CL a.s.a.p .

And for him to do that his first season would be on par with Montpellier winning the French league this season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

What this should mean for every fan of the club is that FSG should take your criticisms from now on for anything that goes wrong, the honeymoon period is now over, no more fking about, invest some profits in the club (without selling) and back the man you wanted. LFC as a club has invested 30m since summer 08. In essence, sh1t or get off the pot. They have cleared the decks, everything from here is down to their direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I reserve the right to be irate at the same bull**** a mere two summers on. And I couldn't care less that my attitude is at odds with what most in here believe. In that respect it's just like, um, two years ago!
    Same bullshít? So Hodgsons been appointed again - making it the same?

You don't know if the situation is the same, and you're refusing to even give it a chance,

If we play shít under Rodgers and end up in the same spot we were under Hodgson, then I've no problem with people giving out about it 'being the same' and about how 'it's all the same shít again' but for now fúck that - you have no clue what the future holds for the club or for Rodgers as manager.

He could be a failure, he could be a success - but be sure to count the chickens before they've hatched by all means - your right is fully reserved after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leiva wrote: »
    Who knows .

It seems Martinez couldn't agree terms so I'm guessing he wanted more power/control.

That bodes well then for a DOF for Rodgers .

But concerning that there may be a "yes" man as coach .

I would like to see the model given a chance; I've never subscribed to this intransigence you see in English football regarding the idea of a DOF. Managers seem stuck in this old school mentality that working under a DOF is equivalent to cutting your balls off.

LVH and BR could be a very nice combination, you never know.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The rewriting of history has already begun apparently. Where exactly were we played off the park there?

Thats how far the standards have dropped Al.....i think rarnes linked an article called "The tika taka approach...how to play like Barcelona and Swansea?" Lunacy...its a myth that rodgers has this great footballing philosophy....its a joke....if it wasnt so serious i'd lol

Have people watched Swansea last season out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm a Liverpool fan. Rodgers certainly wouldn't have appeared in my top 5 wanted list, but now that he is appointed, I'll support him. I admired what he did at Swansea greatly, so I'm not going to berate him now that he has taken on a bigger job.

Football is the most fickle of sports, followed closely by the most fickle of fans.

If he was to win the first 3 matches of the season, everyone would have an erection for him.

This 'no mark' finished 5 points behind Dalglish, with a significantly weaker squad. His team also gave Dalglish's team two footballing lessons as well, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

football is not played on paper.

I don't think they played us off the park, but they definitely gave as good as they got.

We were the better team. Played the better football. Attacked more. Created more. Tried to create more. Had the ball in more dangerous areas of the pitch.

While I accept football is not played on paper, the stats usually paint a fairly accurate picture of how a game goes. And in that one, we literally dominated every relevant & important stat bar 1.

They gave a good plucky performance & deserved their point. But that's it. If we were to give the LFC job to every manager who's done that at Anfield over the last 5 years we've have had some truly ****ing horrendous managers at the club.

The comment I responded to was that they played us off the park, that was either;

1) someone intentionally lying cause they are trying to con themselves into believing we've upgraded manager
    2) someone who just has no clue what they're talking about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

When does silly season start?

And anyone any guesses as to who we are in for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Non-plussed by the whole thing but i wish him well. Pissing me off that people are assuming the the people who wanted Kenny gone are happy with this appointment, for me neither has anything to do with each other.

I think they are well aware of that but are using Rodgers appointment to score some points against the supporters that lost confidence in Kenny. Who cares about facts when you can make up your own narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rodgers now at 1.03 on betfair instead of 1.01.

Free monies?

Fizman wrote: »
    His team also gave Dalglish's team two footballing lessons as well, if I remember correctly.

Nope...

daithijjj wrote: »
    What this should mean for every fan of the club is that FSG should take your criticisms from now on for anything that goes wrong, the honeymoon period is now over, no more fking about, invest some profits in the club (without selling) and back the man you wanted. LFC as a club has invested 30m since summer 08. In essence, sh1t or get off the pot. They have cleared the decks, everything from here is down to their direction.

Since January FSG's honeymoon period has been over with me.

In Jan we clearly needed a striker and who knows what that might have brought us points wise, they sat on their hands,so they are partly responsible for the dismal league position .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

In Jan we clearly needed a striker and who knows what that might have brought us points wise, they sat on their hands,so they are partly responsible for the dismal league position .

You have no clue whether the money was available or not. Kenny said at the time that he was happy with what he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

In Jan we clearly needed a striker and who knows what that might have brought us points wise, they sat on their hands,so they are partly responsible for the dismal league position.

why do you blame FSG? Buying was the job of Kenny and Comolli, and they did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont think you can blame FSG for that. Unless of course Kenny and Comolli went to them looking for money and they said no. Were there reports that this happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

NukaCola wrote: »
    Nope...

Ok, so the home game was even. I'm just after going through the stats here. They had enough possession in the second game to carry them through two matches.

The away game ......losing 1-0 to a promoted team, and possession was 63-37 in Swanseas favour. That's actually embarrassing.

• Advertisement

You have no clue whether the money was available or not. Kenny said at the time that he was happy with what he had.
    G.K. wrote: »
    why do you blame FSG? Buying was the job of Kenny and Comolli, and they did nothing.

Ahh now come on .

With the track record of Kenny& Comolli in the transfer market do you not think they would have spent if a fund was available ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement