Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese 5 Spice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Look at the ingredients for your answer :confused:. They're listed on the links you gave.

Tesco:
    Star Anise,Cinnamon ,Fennel ,Black Pepper ,Clove

Schwartz:
    Sugar, Salt, Onion Granules, Star Anise (10%), Dried Garlic (8%), Black Pepper (6%), Fennel Seed, Ginger, Ground Cinnamon (Cassia)(2%), Cloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Faith wrote: »
    Look at the ingredients for your answer :confused:. They're listed on the links you gave.

Tesco:

Schwartz:

sorry my post was missing a bit at the end...

is one of these blends much spicer than the other?

has anyone else tried both before is what i was getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Did you think one was spicer than the other? If so, then there's your answer. Just looking at the ingredients i'd assume the Tesco one would be spicer as it doesn't have garlic, ginger or onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sorry my post was missing a bit at the end...

is one of these blends much spicer than the other?

has anyone else tried both before is what i was getting at?

Well reading the ingredients in Faith's post only one of them was actually Five spice, the Tesco one. The Schwartz had all sorts of extra crap in it.

From looking at the bottles it seems to confirm this.

The Tesco version is a spice blend that you use as an ingredient, the other is a meant as a seasoning shake to add to foods after you cook them like a condiment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not to mention the main component of the Schwartz one is sugar, so of course it would be sweeter and less spicy than the pure spice one. The onion and garlic in the Schwartz mix would also mellow the spice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Tesco version is a spice blend that you use as an ingredient, the other is a meant as a seasoning shake to add to foods after you cook them like a condiment.

This is it in a nutshell, they're two entirely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Thanks guys I hadn't noticed all the sugar in the original one...next time just half the spice blend with the trsco one

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Thanks guys I hadn't noticed all the sugar in the original one...next time just half the spice blend with the trsco one

There should be no sugar in Chinese 5 spice that I know of. Ingredients can vary a little. But no sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would use less than half, more could be added later if it needs it. You can try and figure out what a mixture is. Ingredients are listed in order of greatest first.
    Ingredients

Sugar, Salt, Onion Granules, Star Anise (10%), Dried Garlic (8%), Black Pepper (6%), Fennel Seed, Ginger, Ground Cinnamon (Cassia)(2%), Cloves.

Nutritional Information

Typical Values Per 100g
    (as sold) Per serving
    Energy: 1144kJ/271kcal 57kJ/14kcal
    Protein: 4.6g 0.2g
    Carbohydrates: 54.2g 2.7g
    of which sugars: 34.2g 1.7g
    Fat: 1.6g 0.0g
    of which saturates: 0.3g 0.0g
    Fibre: 10.7g 0.5g
    Sodium: 9.35g 0.47g
    Salt (based on Sodium): 23.38g 1.17g
    The onion granules must be over 10% or they would be listed after the star anise. The salt is declared as 23% in the nutritional info. The sugar is listed as 34% in that info too. There may be some naturally occurring sugars in the other ingredients which would be adding to that, but not a lot. So there is over 67% of "filler" in the first 3 alone.

Advertisement