Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I'm 1/4 irish"

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I know 100% that you don't mean it to be, but that has got to be one of the most patronising, condescending posts I've seen here.

No offense like.

I dont agree. MickCarmody gave as good as, or better than he got. Maybe you haven't read the whole thread. More power to him.

Just something that entered my head this morning.
    Im sure ill have something else to moan about tomorrow.

That's an honest admission and credit to OP for it. Because this began as a cranky thread. If OP tells us where he drank the porter the night before the morning I will avoid the place for ever more,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Has anyone done the:

Leprechaun: have ye a bit o Irish in ya, girlie?
    American girl: no...
    Leprechaun: would ya like a bit (mini pelvic thrust)?

joke yet?

She'd probably punch you in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

He'd probably like it, to be sure, to be sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I think it's great, long may it continue.

If you're "Irish" Irish and living in the States, (or indeed, Canada, where it works too) it very often opens doors, employment-wise and otherwise. They hear the Irish name, the Irish accent and feel an affinity, a sense of familiarity, a sense of comfort around you. And bingo, doors open.

It props up the tourism industry infinitely. How much of the Irish industry is built on Americans coming back "to the homeland", tracing their roots in that old romantic way they always wanted to?

But above all else, plastic paddies and Ye Olde Lucky Charms aside, it's a damn great country and culture to be a part of, with our wealth and complexity of history, our legacy of music and arts and literature, our travelling nature, our hard-working nature, our unique brand of Irish humour.

I live in Canada, if I end up staying long-term and raising a family here, I'd definitely instil the importance of their Irish heritage in my future kids - because it would be a fundamental part of who they are, even if it's only a "fraction" of their complete identity.

No good! Leprechauns don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

beks101 wrote: »
    I think it's great, long may it continue.

If you're "Irish" Irish and living in the States, (or indeed, Canada, where it works too) it very often opens doors, employment-wise and otherwise. They hear the Irish name, the Irish accent and feel an affinity, a sense of familiarity, a sense of comfort around you. And bingo, doors open.

It props up the tourism industry infinitely. How much of the Irish industry is built on Americans coming back "to the homeland", tracing their roots in that old romantic way they always wanted to?

But above all else, plastic paddies and Ye Olde Lucky Charms aside, it's a damn great country and culture to be a part of, with our wealth and complexity of history, our legacy of music and arts and literature, our travelling nature, our hard-working nature, our unique brand of Irish humour.

I live in Canada, if I end up staying long-term and raising a family here, I'd definitely instil the importance of their Irish heritage in my future kids - because it would be a fundamental part of who they are, even if it's only a "fraction" of their complete identity.

Definitely agree.

Canada seems like a nice spot, probably a better place to bring kids up compared to the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cupcake83

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Definitely agree.

Canada seems like a nice spot, probably a better place to bring kids up compared to the States.

Canada is great! I loved it there. I must say though there are plenty of places in the states to raise children that are great as well. I don't think it's so much where you raise them as to how proactive you are as a parent. I live in a very family friendly low crime city. It's really nice here, not really exciting enough for me though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

feargale wrote: »
    No good! Leprechauns don't have them.

Oh, yes we do.:)

I don't know about Canada, but one of the unlikeable trends in the US for raising kids is that the possibility of getting shot is part of the fabric of life.

When I was growing up in the cold war we had fire drills and drills in case of nuclear attack. Now kids have lockdown drills in schools in case of a gunman losing their **** and opening fire.
    I don't worry about that here , could it happen sure. I don't live my life that way and refuse to. These may be things people see in the news and it strikes fear in many people but honestly every day in America in most places and I've lived in many many cities and states , these things don't happen and you only hear about it on the news. I lead a pretty "normal" life here and so do many other people. I believe that many fellow Americans are good and not bad, so far I'm right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Playing trad music in England, I'm always getting asked why I do/am I Irish etc.

My grandparents were Irish, so I often say 'I'm from an Irish family' or 'I'm a quarter Irish' or whatever. Anyone who's got a problem with that needs to grow up. Though it'd probably be seen as worse for a terrible Hun to ever identify as Irish...

Also, every now and then I put my ethnic origin as Irish. 3rd Generation Indians would put their origin as Indian/Asian rather than British. I don't see the different tbh...

cupcake83 wrote: »
    I don't worry about that here , could it happen sure. I don't live my life that way and refuse to. These may be things people see in the news and it strikes fear in many people but honestly every day in America in most places and I've lived in many many cities and states , these things don't happen and you only hear about it on the news. I lead a pretty "normal" life here and so do many other people. I believe that many fellow Americans are good and not bad, so far I'm right.

I'm sorry. I deleted my post because t was off topic, but if its ok I will address this.

I live in the US. There is a new generation of kids growing up in Lockdown drills. Sometime the drills are very realistic, with the sound of bullets so the kids can "get used to it" in case it really does happen. Sometimes they are more gentle. But what it tells them is that the possibility of getting shot at is now a routine part of the fabric of life and that frustration crimes are a rational, normal part of life.

I'm not sure about Canada, I don't think they have this problem.

My parents were Irish, they always made sure I knew I was American. But America will always see me as Irish American.

I'm sorry. I deleted my post because t was off topic, but if its ok I will address this.

I live in the US. There is a new generation of kids growing up in Lockdown drills. Sometime the drills are very realistic, with the sound of bullets so the kids can "get used to it" in case it really does happen. Sometimes they are more gentle. But what it tells them is that the possibility of getting shot at is now a routine part of the fabric of life and that frustration crimes are a rational, normal part of life.

I'm not sure about Canada, I don't think they have this problem.

Well it's a precaution but they also do drills for fire, tornadoes, earthquakes etc. during certain time periods they had drills for any sort of disaster or war related issues. Its just a necessity in some areas. I don't believe this is the norm in fact I am almost positive it's not in many areas. I don't really see it as a bad thing either though. Canada definitely doesn't have the same issues in this area from what I know so you are probably right :)

Canada is great! I loved it there. I must say though there are plenty of places in the states to raise children that are great as well. I don't think it's so much where you raise them as to how proactive you are as a parent. I live in a very family friendly low crime city. It's really nice here, not really exciting enough for me though lol.

Where I live in the suburbs I feel safe, I do worry about bringing my daughter up here, just from the point of view that back in Dublin I would feel safe when she is older allowing her to go into the city centre on the bus, and while downtown Seattle is relatively safe, not sure I would be comfortable letting her travel downtown, but then again I am not here two years yet so by the time that comes I may well feel differently.

Well it's a precaution but they also do drills for fire, tornadoes, earthquakes etc. during certain time periods they had drills for any sort of disaster or war related issues. Its just a necessity in some areas. I don't believe this is the norm in fact I am almost positive it's not in many areas. I don't really see it as a bad thing either though. Canada definitely doesn't have the same issues in this area from what I know so you are probably right :)

I also have two older step kids and after the big shooting last year in the states, my step daughter has her portacabin classroom locked during class time, just think that is terribly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

I also have two older step kids and after the big shooting last year in the states, my step daughter has her portacabin classroom locked during class time, just think that is terribly sad.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Agreed, still sad though that it has come to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Agreed, still sad though that it has come to that.

Yes, it is sad that a small number of morons have to ruin things for law abiding folks but that is the reality nowadays.

• Advertisement

We have lockdown drills. Yes it is sad, and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Definitely agree.

Is the WASP culture not still going in Canada? When I lived in Toronto in the late 80s it was quite prevalent and at times made me feel very unwelcome.

Advertisement