Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic vs Manual

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Given the type of driving you seem to do you should consider a Prius, Lexus or other hybrid which has Toyota's Synergy Drive.

Thanks for the Tip, but although I'm not a car guy, I have to like the look of a Car, and the DS5 is what takes my fancy!!! I do my bit for the ozone, by just not driving it too much :p

bazz26 wrote: »
    A hybrid would probably be more suitable than a diesel to the OP.

If the car I liked came in a hybrid, I'd take it..... Its not really about diesel over petrol or hybrid for me....Im easy!! From what I read, the DS5 petrol is ideal but just not widely available. I just saw a 2litre DS5 that happens to be automatic and diesel...and wanted to check if It wasn't a mistake to take the automatic route??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

was trawling carzone on the DS5 classifieds yesterday and dont think anything on there was petrol...think a diesel for your driving would be a bad idea

Maybe look at a Passat 1.4TSi with the auto or a Civic 1.8 auto...should find one or 2 on carzone

oh here we go

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.8-ES/151414271322211790/

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.4TSI-DSG/154214279939585590/

not sure of your budget though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Tip, but although I'm not a car guy, I have to like the look of a Car, and the DS5 is what takes my fancy!!! I do my bit for the ozone, by just not driving it too much :p
    And good choice of car too imo. The hybrid suggestion wasn't for ozone reasons but because it seems better suited to short run/stop-start city driving than a diesel and avoids the usual complications that tend to arise e.g. clogged DPFs, turbo failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Says the fella doing motorway speed in 4th in a poor hatchback :pac:

Heyor now, that car's a different story :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

With a good automatic gear box you should not notice a gear change at all. There are so many different ones out there, I find small cars 1.4 or below CVT boxes work well, 1.5 to 2lt Tiptronics are good and anything bigger torque converters, the best kind are double clutch(not technically an auto but does not have a clutch) like in the Golf R and Nissan GTR.

Some auto boxes are sealed for life, others need oil changing at different intervals like every 5 years. Some cars have boxes which dont suit them at all, for example I hate the semi-automatic in Opels which change up gears by its self, made me feel sea sick and was not smooth at all. If that was my experience of Automatics then I would discount them completely, just make sure to really test drive before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some auto boxes are sealed for life,

all oil degrades and shouldn't be left in a box "for life".

Though if you do it technically is sealed for life, the life just becomes significantly shorter.

Take "Sealed for life " to mean "sealed for the life of the warranty"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You'll have serious regrets doing such tiny mileage in a diesel. Go for petrol.

If you have no interest in cars, other than it taking your fancy, the an auto makes sense. I drive an E200 and it has a cool little feature, where you come to a stop, you just tap the brake pedal and the brakes hold by themselves until you accelerate. That's in a 12 year old car.

Oh, and sealed for life means bollôx. My cars gearbox is sealed for life......but it needs changing after around 150k. My 05 mondeo had a sealed for life gear box, but they changed the recommended oil type a couple of years later, due to stiff gear changes in the manual gear box. Sealed for life, usually means sealed from the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RS6man

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    was trawling carzone on the DS5 classifieds yesterday and dont think anything on there was petrol...think a diesel for your driving would be a bad idea

Maybe look at a Passat 1.4TSi with the auto or a Civic 1.8 auto...should find one or 2 on carzone

oh here we go

not sure of your budget though

ROTFL, did you not read what they OP said? He wants a good looking car.

You suggest the most boring car on Irish roads and the horrendously ugly Civic!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RS6man

OP, consider bringing in a Hybrid DS5 from the UK if there aren't many available here. The VRT is tiny.

There is a 2012 Hybrid on UK Autotrader at the moment for under £16k, only 3.5k VRT and better spec than anything available here at the moment for the same money.

(sorry, boards won't let me post URL because I'm a "new user")

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    You'll have serious regrets doing such tiny mileage in a diesel. Go for petrol.

If you have no interest in cars, other than it taking your fancy, the an auto makes sense. I drive an E200 and it has a cool little feature, where you come to a stop, you just tap the brake pedal and the brakes hold by themselves until you accelerate. That's in a 12 year old car.

I currently drive a 2l diesel laguna coupe, and I have no regrets even with my tiny mileage :D

Unfortunately the petrol DS5 is impossible to get. I'd be happy with the 1.6 petrol, and it seems to get better reviews, but I am yet to see one online.

i have kept an eye on the NI websites, and it's the same story, baring in mind that I don't think Id go older than 2013....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tomred81

I do a lot of mileage in my laguna coupe auto and it hasn't let me down once. I will always try and go for an auto in the future.

Advertisement