Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points

• 14-09-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I think I may have been caught for speeding I am 18 and with ARB insurance and I am just wondering if this affects my premium and how long penalty points last on a license

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Do you have a full license or a learner permit? Is the policy in your name, or are you a named driver on someone elses policy?

The points will stay on your license for three years. Generally, having two points on your license doesn't affect your premium all that much. It does if you get four, or more. But given your age, its possible that you will get hit harder than older drivers, as you are in a high risk bracket. Only your insurance company can tell you for sure how much the premium will go up by, if it does at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

^^ as ProudDub says. IF you were caught and accept the points and fine, you'll only get 2 points added. They stay on your licence for couple of years and shouldn't affect your premium by much if at all. It's when you start getting 4 or more points, that your premium will take the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

It's 3 points now. Not 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

P_Cash wrote: »
    It's 3 points now. Not 2

Yep. You are right. I stand corrected.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

OP, if you only have a learner permit, you'll be disqualified if you get 7 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. You are right. I stand corrected.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

OP, if you only have a learner permit, you'll be disqualified if you get 7 points.

Which I think is daft, especially when most people will be caught in areas no where near accident spots. 50km town zones.

4 times in 3 years and your gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Which I think is daft, especially when most people will be caught in areas no where near accident spots. 50km town zones.

Getting caught 4 times in 3 years makes you an utter moron to be honest. "Ah, speed camera zone, better tag it back for the few km that are in it" which pretty much solves the problem. If you want to speed, do it anywhere else really but in those zones as the chances of you being caught outside them by AGS are remote to say the least. Get caught once, fair enough, but if you are repetitively getting caught you're basically just asking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is it not 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is it not 2 years?

No points stay on a license for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Briancla wrote: »
    I think I may have been caught for speeding I am 18 and with ARB insurance and I am just wondering if this affects my premium and how long penalty points last on a license

Do ARB still specialize in high risk policies? If so then you will need to check your policy as you may be getting a discount for having no points. You need to inform them of the points either way so they will let you know how it will affect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You also need to make sure you only get caught driving the wrong way down the motorway 6 times in 3 years, otherwise you get disqualified.

And you need to be even more careful you only get caught speeding 4 times in 3 years.

What a complete and utter fail.

Advertisement