Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Requirements - Help?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Not 100% sure if I'm in the right forum so apologies if I'm not. Need a bit of help with system requirements, I'm not much good at this stuff so it's confusing me. I'm trying to play Medieval 2: Total War on my PC. The problem is, the battles won't run properly because of my graphics card. That much I understand, the card isn't good enough.

What's confusing me is that I went to systemrequirementslab.com to check my PC's specs versus the games requirements. The results I got were:

Features: Recommended attributes of your video card.
    Required You have
    Video Ram 256MB 1.3GB
    3D Yes Yes
    Hardware T&L Yes Yes
    Pixel shader version 2.0 4.0
    Vertex shader version 2.0 4.0

That's a little messy but gets the point across. As you can see, it's telling me my video card's stats are equal to or better than the requirements. But I'm still being told "Unfortunately, your video card does not meet this requirement" and the battles in-game aren't running properly, even on lowest settings. Every other spec for my PC passes the recommended specs. Anybody able to explain this to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What is your video card?
    Technically your card might pass the bare minimum specs but normally this means you get what you're seeing right now.
    Even a bog end nvidia/ati card would meet all those specs but would be complete crap at playing games..

post your video card and we can advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

feeney92 wrote: »
    Could very well be your sound settings(among a list of other things), but what happened me before and when I changed the sound frequency all was well

Start>>>Sound>>Right click the default one>>>Properties>>>Advanced and change the sound format

Tried every frequency and it didn't help. Thanks anyway. :)
    Blazer wrote: »
    What is your video card?
    Technically your card might pass the bare minimum specs but normally this means you get what you're seeing right now.
    Even a bog end nvidia/ati card would meet all those specs but would be complete crap at playing games..

post your video card and we can advise further.

It's a "Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset".

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gigabytes

Gigabytes wrote: »
    Zomg Okay wrote:
    What's confusing me is that I went to systemrequirementslab.com to check my PC's specs versus the games requirements...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Update your card drivers and check for any patches for your game. Also check what your graphics are set for ingame. Some options can destroy cards and provide little effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    ...my graphics card.

It's a "Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset".

Yeah, you dont have a graphics card buddy, just an integrated chip thats aimed towards HD playback not gaming. Guessing its likely a laptop? Probably one that you spent ~450 on. If you want to game on a laptop you'd need to spend more.

If its a desktop on the other hand, €130 would buy you a decent card. Otherwise stick to plants vs zombies.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, you dont have a graphics card buddy, just an integrated chip thats aimed towards HD playback not gaming. Guessing its likely a laptop? Probably one that you spent ~450 on. If you want to game on a laptop you'd need to spend more.

If its a desktop on the other hand, €130 would buy you a decent card. Otherwise stick to plants vs zombies.

Fantastic. :rolleyes:

It's a desktop, not a laptop. At the same time though, I don't have €130 to throw at my PC. :(

I don't understand though, how it can meet all the requirements according to SRL but at the same time not meet them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

It's a desktop, not a laptop. At the same time though, I don't have €130 to throw at my PC. :(

I don't understand though, how it can meet all the requirements according to SRL but at the same time not meet them?

It probably just about meets the minimum requirements of the game. The battles in the game would place a good deal of stress on the GPU and the Intel chip isn't powerful enough to handle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sadly just because you meet those minimum specifications such as having enough graphics ram and the right shader versions you may not have enough pixel pipes or other far more technical features of a graphics card.

Is your game fully patched?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's kind of hard to explain to a layman without getting technical. Graphics card have their own dedicated memory on them. So a graphics card that has 256mb of memory is the very minmum that you need to play.

Unfortunately, your "graphics card" doesn't have any memory. It utilises your system memory, your RAM.....and this really isn't the same thing. So your actual video memory is 0. It isn't 1.3 gigs

The G41 Chipset was poor when it was new, and its over three years out of date at this stage. The bottom line is, it was never designed to play the 3d intensive applications you want it to.....especially as the Total War series is very demanding.

You can upgrade your card for under 100 quid and it will do a decent job. If you don't want to upgrade but want to play a RTS game, Starcraft 2 is a newish game than can be played on really low graphics with an ancient PC so you might look into that. Or even go more oldschool and get one of the first total war games....shogun or medieval. They may not look good, but they will run.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to explain to a layman without getting technical. Graphics card have their own dedicated memory on them. So a graphics card that has 256mb of memory is the very minmum that you need to play.

Unfortunately, your "graphics card" doesn't have any memory. It utilises your system memory, your RAM.....and this really isn't the same thing. So your actual video memory is 0. It isn't 1.3 gigs

The G41 Chipset was poor when it was new, and its over three years out of date at this stage. The bottom line is, it was never designed to play the 3d intensive applications you want it to.....especially as the Total War series is very demanding.

You can upgrade your card for under 100 quid and it will do a decent job. If you don't want to upgrade but want to play a RTS game, Starcraft 2 is a newish game than can be played on really low graphics with an ancient PC so you might look into that. Or even go more oldschool and get one of the first total war games....shogun or medieval. They may not look good, but they will run.

Cheers for the explanation, it makes more sense now. I'm able to play Rome: Total War no problem and that's what I've been playing mostly. I've beaten the grand campaign two or three times over the last few months though and before that, I've had Rome almost since it was released. Understandably I was hoping to move up a game or two. :P
    Limericks wrote: »
    Is your game fully patched?

I don't think so. I'll patch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rome was brilliant. I was just playing the Alexander campaign this morning. Go figure! :p

Rome 2 is coming out next year. You should upgrade for it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I use the game-o-meter requirements tool on yougamers.com as well as system requirements lab. Just to double check.
    I've played a game before that was struggling at the lowest settings but according to requirements lab I should've been grand. So I looked elsewhere and yougamers told me otherwise.
    I personally think it would be a good idea for each game(well maybe not indie games) to include a system checker on their website. I know some check before installing, but sure by then it's already purchased.

Advertisement