Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSC closed and Stalker 2 is cancelled

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this thread got me wanting to play stalker again so I headed to steamforums and apparently tecnobacons stalkersoup is relatively stable these days. very close to a "full" release too so hopefully I won't hit too many bugs.

have the mod downloaded now, gona get some of the micropatches before I start but really really looking forward to giving this another go. last time I played about 40 hours (twice) before I had to give up because of a game breaking bug but it was the most fun I'd had playing Stalker.. more fun even than pripyat Misery. It was ****ing *hard*.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

oh man... i know my comment is some what out of sequence in this thread but that is just terrible news.... so after years of technology evolution running at processing powers unfathomable some ten to fifteen years ago we're now dammed to playing games that content wise can at best can be deemed as 'a graphically evolved PacMan'.... :(

not dissing PacMan.... but that was the 80's!!!

Great to see the modders keeping it alive... usually means they step up and turn it back into a next version...i hope... :D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/22/some-stalker-fallout-1c-proposes-a-nuclear-union/#more-113277

it's not stalker 2 but.. sounds interesting. interesting enough to bump a stalker 2 thread anyway :)

oh and if anyone's curious. tecnobacons stalkersoup mod for SoC is ****ing *amazing*
    160 odd hours in so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

<looks at crotch>

Really? you think NOW is an appropriate time to have a massive erection!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

oh and if anyone's curious. tecnobacons stalkersoup mod for SoC is ****ing *amazing*
    160 odd hours in so far

What does it add, other than new maps and more weapons? Is it harder in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/22/some-stalker-fallout-1c-proposes-a-nuclear-union/#more-113277

it's not stalker 2 but.. sounds interesting. interesting enough to bump a stalker 2 thread anyway :)

160 odd hours in so far

Totally forgot about this mod,will grab it asap.

What does it add, other than new maps and more weapons? Is it harder in any way?

it's a fair bit harder if you play it on Master level. it's more or less one shot kill, anomolies are spawned randomly every time the game loads (and there's ****ing loads of them), artifacts emit radiation even if they're just hanging around in your backpack.. so if you pick one up you gotta find somewhere safe to stash it until you either have an artifact container box or an artifaction that increases your resistance to radiation.
    the economy is a little harder but it still suffers from the same stalker problem of being broke broke broke then all of a sudden having 2 copies of every gun in the game. I think he's leaving that until the end before tackling, trying to get most of the bugs ironed out beforehand but even with that.. ammo can be scarce (if you include the rare ammo option when you install the mod) so you will find yourself running out of 7.62X39mm and having to run back to safety to change guns and stock up on some 5.56x45.
    you have to trade artifacts to repair your guns/armour and sometimes to buy ammo or guns, that's a pain in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

it's a fair bit harder if you play it on Master level. it's more or less one shot kill, anomolies are spawned randomly every time the game loads (and there's ****ing loads of them), artifacts emit radiation even if they're just hanging around in your backpack.. so if you pick one up you gotta find somewhere safe to stash it until you either have an artifact container box or an artifaction that increases your resistance to radiation.
    the economy is a little harder but it still suffers from the same stalker problem of being broke broke broke then all of a sudden having 2 copies of every gun in the game. I think he's leaving that until the end before tackling, trying to get most of the bugs ironed out beforehand but even with that.. ammo can be scarce (if you include the rare ammo option when you install the mod) so you will find yourself running out of 7.62X39mm and having to run back to safety to change guns and stock up on some 5.56x45.
    you have to trade artifacts to repair your guns/armour and sometimes to buy ammo or guns, that's a pain in the balls.

Sounds good, guess I just have to wait out the 5GB download now.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8DC51A0073FAF85F&id=8DC51A0073FAF85F!42770#cid=8DC51A0073FAF85F&id=8DC51A0073FAF85F!113

there is a game guide up here which can come in handy for some of the quests. most of the time the english is fine but there are times when it must have been translated by a russian language native who had once read a book in german about the english language and figured he'd give it a go. most of the time you'll be fine figuring out what the gibberish on screen is but there are times when there is no choice but to open up the game guide, try not to spoil it too much on yourself, and see where the hell you have to look for the quest item.

he also puts up micro-patches in there from time to time, he posts about them on the stalkersoup threasd on steamforums
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031941&page=280
    these are pre-main patch fixes he does up, whjich will later be included in a full patch. up to yourself whether or not you want to use them. some of them you likely wont need, some of them might fix a bug that's been bothering you for a while.

Downloaded and installed stalkersoup, seems great so far but everytime i try to equip my knife the game crashes.
    It also take ages to start the game or load a save point, ive a high spec PC.
    Apart from that it seems very impressive.

• Advertisement

hrm
    post on the steamforums thread about the knife issue, that's the kind of thing that'd need to be looked at before a full release
    havent seen anyone else mention it though, weird one

yeah it's a killer on load times. it has actually gotten a lot better the last few patches believe it or not, I got an ssd last week and that cut the load times by a good amount too as I think a lot of the time is related to the amount of data it has to work with from the HD but it's still kinda annoying when you're in a situation where you're dying often and gotta keep looking at that screen

it's pretty stable, but there are still some bugs.if you're the kind of person who gets incredibly stressed by the occasional crash or quest that wont complete... maybe best to wait until it's ready for release which i think isn't actually terribly far off

Crashing for me now every time i click on anything in my inventory.
    I give up at this stage, fantastic mod in there for sure if it would stop crashing.

that's.. very odd

did you post on the steamforums and include the crashlog? there has to be a simple enough fix to that, i dont remember seeing anyone mention a similar problem in a long long time

--edit

actually, when you extracted the rars for the install where did you extract to?

when I extracted them to a seperate folder and then copied the extracted files over to the steamapps folder, I had a lot of problems. when I extracted them directly into steamapps/SoC(whatever) the problems I was having went away. there are hundreds/thousands of tiny files in the rar so I guess maybe a couple of things get a bit corrupted copying from one place and copying to another?

that's.. very odd

did you post on the steamforums and include the crashlog? there has to be a simple enough fix to that, i dont remember seeing anyone mention a similar problem in a long long time

--edit

actually, when you extracted the rars for the install where did you extract to?

when I extracted them to a seperate folder and then copied the extracted files over to the steamapps folder, I had a lot of problems. when I extracted them directly into steamapps/SoC(whatever) the problems I was having went away. there are hundreds/thousands of tiny files in the rar so I guess maybe a couple of things get a bit corrupted copying from one place and copying to another?

Yeah i extracted to a folder than over to the the game folder in steam, ill try extract directly, thanks for your help.

no worries, hope that solves some of the problems

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/31/bethesda-have-rights-to-stalker-claims-galyonkin/

RussianUkrainian blogger and marketing man Sergey Galyonkin – who tipped off the closure of the STALKER 2 project earlier this year – has claimed that Bethesda now have the rights to make a publish a STALKER game.

so.. dont know if good or bad news

on the one hand.. more stalker.. guardedly hopeful but on the other hand, will it just be stalker in the skyrim engine?

yeah it'd be pretty enough but.. would it be stalker?

how would the game being made by westerners affect it as well.. would it be dumbed-down/streamlined too much?

i guess all we can do is wait and see at this point

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Weird that they would acquire the Stalker series, considering they already have Fallout. I know they are quite different in terms of gameplay/mechanics, but i can't see them developing two post apocalyptic shooters at the same time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/31/bethesda-have-rights-to-stalker-claims-galyonkin/

so.. dont know if good or bad news

on the one hand.. more stalker.. guardedly hopeful but on the other hand, will it just be stalker in the skyrim engine?

yeah it'd be pretty enough but.. would it be stalker?

how would the game being made by westerners affect it as well.. would it be dumbed-down/streamlined too much?

i guess all we can do is wait and see at this point

It will never be the same game again fullstop and it won't look as good either unless they use a new engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That news makes me feel like this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right. It Wont be the same unless they will hire every single eastern europe developer.

I came from country, which was part of soviet union. Stalker was the only game, which captured that feel of that world. I **** you not, when I entered in some buildings or world parts in stalker I had a huge nostalgia boom in to my face. They did it so damn well and it's a shame that they won't be doing it again :(.
    All western games who try to recreate russian, soviet style in games fail hard, because they see it through western glasses. I loved those modern office curtains in cod4 Chernobyl levels. That was just sad and funny.
    Bethesda is quite **** at bringing quality over quantity. All of their open world RPGs suffer from that. Let's make 5 thousand generic fetch quest and copy paste that ****y town just with different layout! Done!!!
    I know I am jumping the gun here, but feck stalker had that spirit in it! And Bethesda loves to rape your dear memories. After being a fallout 2 junky I can only cry when I see what they did with fallout 3 and new Vegas. Let's hope they won't just make stalker in that ****y horrible skyrim/oblivion engine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Right. It Wont be the same unless they will hire every single eastern europe developer.

I came from country, which was part of soviet union. Stalker was the only game, which captured that feel of that world. I **** you not, when I entered in some buildings or world parts in stalker I had a huge nostalgia boom in to my face. They did it so damn well and it's a shame that they won't be doing it again :(.
    All western games who try to recreate russian, soviet style in games fail hard, because they see it through western glasses. I loved those modern office curtains in cod4 Chernobyl levels. That was just sad and funny.
    Bethesda is quite **** at bringing quality over quantity. All of their open world RPGs suffer from that. Let's make 5 thousand generic fetch quest and copy paste that ****y town just with different layout! Done!!!
    I know I am jumping the gun here, but feck stalker had that spirit in it! And Bethesda loves to rape your dear memories. After being a fallout 2 junky I can only cry when I see what they did with fallout 3 and new Vegas. Let's hope they won't just make stalker in that ****y horrible skyrim/oblivion engine!
    Did you even read the link?

Bethesda have the right to make a game based on the property with their own technology, but "GSC owner Sergei Grigorovich has not sold the brand", so there still could be more STALKER games from them. There's also Survarium to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ape X wrote: »
    Did you even read the link?

Bethesda have the right to make a game based on the property with their own technology, but "GSC owner Sergei Grigorovich has not sold the brand", so there still could be more STALKER games from them. There's also Survarium to look forward to.

it is fallout franchise story again. they sold only single player rights to bethesda, but everyone knew whats that all about and interplay was dead in the water anyway. We all knew there wont be fallout from interplay anymore. 99% that we wont see stalker from old developer anymore.

old developers have split anyway havent they? they're working on survariam now or whatever it's called. doubt they'd get the rights to stalker anyway, they weren't able to afford it iirc when all the bad stuff happened.

maybe if they make their millions from survivariam they can pony up the cash, but i'd imagine they're just letting it go.

"Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    According to my sources the news that Bethesda purchased the Stalker rights is false. I will continue to keep a look out and if I hear anything new, you will all be the first to know!"

from stalker facebook

"Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    To be clear the exact requirements for the owner of GSC to sell the IP rights of the Stalker franchise are as follows: Shares in the company purchasing the rights. The right to choose the development team that will work on the title. And last but not least a very high finacial sum. All those are the reasons (and a few more, but those are the outlined reasons) why a previous agreement between Vostok Games and GSC could not be met."

wow
    looks like stalker rights wont be sold any time soon

obviously I know nothing about this sort of thing, but the right to choose whoever works on the game seems.. excessive

Advertisement