Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revised south Wexford bus services

• 21-09-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

I managed to miss the fact that Bus Eireann changed their once a week South Wexford bus services in addition to the new services introduced since the railway closed last weekend.

Whatever about the pros/cons of the railway closing, Bus Eireann have actually introduced a very positive bus service in the area.

In summary the following changes have taken place:

Route 370 (Excluding Waterford/Wexford services):

Commuter service from Duncannon to Waterford via Campile and v.v. now operates to/from Fethard.

Additional commuter service introduced from Rosslare to Waterford Regional Hospital via Bridgetown, Wellingtonbridge and New Ross and v.v.

Two additional return services from Waterford Regional Hospital to Wellingtonbridge via New Ross, Campile and Duncannon

Waterford-New Ross-Wexford Services (Route 370/371):

Monday/Thursday Only
    via Campile, Duncannon, Fethard and Wellingtonbridge - Replaced by daily Waterford-Wexford-Rosslare service (NOT serving Duncannon)

Tuesday Only
    via Adamstown - Now operates on Fridays only from New Ross to Wexford via Foulksmills (Route 371)

Wednesday Only
    via Campile, Ballycullane and Wellingtonbridge - Now operates on Tuesdays only from New Ross to Wexford (NOT serving Campile but serving Fethard) (Route 373)

Friday Only
    via Ballinaboola, Foulksmills and Taghmon - Now operates on Mondays only from New Ross to Wexford (NOT serving Ballinaboola) (Route 372)

Saturday Only
    via Ballinaboola, Foulksmills, Clongeen, and Wellingtonbridge - Now operates on Mondays only from New Ross to Wexford (NOT serving Ballinaboola but serving Taghmon) (Route 372)

Routes 374 and 375 (New Ross to Kilkenny or Enniscorthy)
    These routes continue as before but with revised timetables

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the same bus follows a different route every day, WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there are several of these rural transit busses which service a different route each day in the same area to make sure every tiny village and crossroads is served. this is a great service and probablr more important that the intercity services imo.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    there are several of these rural transit busses which service a different route each day in the same area to make sure every tiny village and crossroads is served. this is a great service and probablr more important that the intercity services imo.

not exactly idea for getting to work though is it. :D

I can understand the point to a certain degree but in a way its so limiting to the point of uselessness.

not exactly idea for getting to work though is it. :D

I can understand the point to a certain degree but in a way its so limiting to the point of uselessness.
    it is not for people getting to or from work though, not everyone works especially in rural areas. it is a lifesaver for older people getting to hospital appointments doctors social welfare office for pension enquiries etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

These Bus Services are useless to those wanting to commute / travel to Waterford & back each day as they still have to go up to New Ross to cross the River Barrow which adds considerable time to the journey compared to the rail service.

There really should be a proper Bus connection each side of the Passage East / Ballyhack Ferry so people could use the direct route into Waterford.

I doubt if many commuters will be using these bus services, instead they will probably take the car or motorbike, even a pushbike would be faster via the ferry from many districts!!!!!

Proof that no one in the NTA or IE really took notice of local geography making their decision, I'll bet that there was not one person familiar with the South East responsible???

Even a rail shuttle service to Campile with decent bus connections to the rest of South Wexford would have been an option with more sense.

Next up the cancellation of the proposed New Ross Bypass / Barrow bridge crossing!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

You're obviously in no way familiar with the way that these rural services operate.

That is a community bus service - there is a separate direct service that follows the same route every day, together with Expressway services as well during the day. The whole purpose is to provide a social service so that people can get to Wexford to do their weekly shop etc. It is not designed for commuting. It leaves New Ross at 1030 returning from Wexford around 1500.

There are plenty of examples of this all over Ireland.

The commuter services were listed separately above.

These Bus Services are useless to those wanting to commute / travel to Waterford & back each day as they still have to go up to New Ross to cross the River Barrow which adds considerable time to the journey compared to the rail service.

There really should be a proper Bus connection each side of the Passage East / Ballyhack Ferry so people could use the direct route into Waterford.

I doubt if many commuters will be using these bus services, instead they will probably take the car or motorbike, even a pushbike would be faster via the ferry from many districts!!!!!

Proof that no one in the NTA or IE really took notice of local geography making their decision, I'll bet that there was not one person familiar with the South East responsible???

Even a rail shuttle service to Campile with decent bus connections to the rest of South Wexford would have been an option with more sense.

Next up the cancellation of the proposed New Ross Bypass / Barrow bridge crossing!!!!!

I was trying to keep the railway closure out of this discussion, rather focus on the actual bus services. The point I was making is that there is now quite a strong network in the area, with the social once per week services being retained.

Incidentally, I understand that BE wanted to operate the service via the ferry, but people in that area objected.

KC61 wrote: »
    You're obviously in no way familiar with the way that these rural services operate.

That is a community bus service - there is a separate direct service that follows the same route every day, together with Expressway services as well during the day. The whole purpose is to provide a social service so that people can get to Wexford to do their weekly shop etc. It is not designed for commuting. It leaves New Ross at 1030 returning from Wexford around 1500.

I am familiar with the concept but the above is a poor example. 1 bus a week is less than useless, especialy since it allows less than 4 hours to get anything done.
    if it was every second day or even only twice a week it would allow at least a modicum of flexibility but one service each way once a week is just laughable, and only done so BE can say there serve Ballywhereever while doing so at minimum cost with little or no concern for customers.

I am familiar with the concept but the above is a poor example. 1 bus a week is less than useless, especialy since it allows less than 4 hours to get anything done.
    if it was every second day or even only twice a week it would allow at least a modicum of flexibility but one service each way once a week is just laughable, and only done so BE can say there serve Ballywhereever while doing so at minimum cost with little or no concern for customers.

Once per week is actually the norm for these rural services be it Bus Eireann or the rural transport initiatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

purplepanda - the question of BE using the ferry was discussed in the NTA Decision. The ferry operator is notionally open to carrying a 28 seat BE bus but claims that the locals do not want vehicles >14 seats on the ferry. It's been about 20+ years since I took that ferry but I recall the approach road through the villages on either side being pretty steep and I guess the assumption is that if BE start using it other tour operators etc. will follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Heaven forbid people start using that overpriced ferry.

They are now monopoly providers of all direct transit between Waterford and South Wexford. Guess what will happen next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They are now monopoly providers of all direct transit between Waterford and South Wexford. Guess what will happen next?

I dunno Dum Dum...perhaps a takeover bid by Trevor Patton....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As Fr. Dougal would say...
    father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Heaven forbid people start using that overpriced ferry.

irish rail will buy it and close it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

AlekSmart wrote: »

Does it have a licence included?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hey does anyone know if there there is a local bus from either Tullycanna, Ballymitty or Wellington Bridge, County Wexford that travels to Wexford Town? (Ideally to Wexford Bus Station). I checked Bus Eireann but their 370 service leaves Wellington Bridge at 7:30am and arrive in Wexford at 10:00 which is too late as my younger brother needs to be at Wexford Vocational College at 9am. I wonder if there is any private bus services that provide this destination. It would be handy if I could find one as I don't have to be driving every day. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Check www.a-b.ie

Ardcavan operate a service but it's a bit early 7.30 arrive Wexford 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The National Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie provides the following options:

1) Ardcavan Coaches - departs at 07:30 from Wellingtonbridge and arrives in Wexford at 08:00 - more information at http://ardcavan.com/dublin.html

2) Rural Transport Service (New Ross-Wexford) departing Wellingtonbridge at 08:15 and arriving in Wexford at 08:36 - more information call 051 389679.

3) The only other option would be Wexford Bus service to/from Kilmore Quay which serves Bridgetown and Murrintown en route. More information at: http://wexfordbus.com/timetables/wexford-kilmore/

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Thanks soo much schemingbohemia & lxflyer. I've been at this for half of today and was getting nowhere so its all sorted now:D

Advertisement