Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Streets Where Road Markings Continually Ignored but never Gardai on site?

Options
  • 09-09-2014 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Have been thinking a lot about these lately, there are more than a handful of streets that I very regularly that the markings are continually ignored but in almost 15 years of commuting I've never seen a Garda on site. Not sure whether it's a Garda issue or City Council/NRA issue with road markings but it's getting more and more frustrating to see people abuse on a regular basis.
    1. Top of the list is Tara Street. Only the left lane is permitted to turn onto the South Quays, meaning the left lane is almost always full at rush hour often causing that lane of Pearse Street to back up. Some bright sparks think they are more important than those queueing for the correct lane and drive up the next lane and turn left illegally.
    2. Winetavern Street, also left lane. People insist on making two lanes out of the left lane where road markings have it as one lane. I think this is a city council/NRA issue as the lanes on the street don't line up properly with the lanes on the bridge so I can kind of see why people do this but that won't matter in the case of a collision because someone is determined to make two lanes where there is only one
    3. Bridge Street down to South Quays. Left lane splits into two about 200m before South Quays, one going left and the other going straight on. Again, people too important to queue skip down this lane and bully their way into the left turn lane at the last minute
    4. Hume Street onto St. Stephen's Green. Left lane is a bus lane with a left turn arrow. Right lane is a traffic lane, right turn only. Am sick of taxis and buses turning right from the bus lane, contrary to the markings
    5. Dame Street outbound. Another street where in parts people make two lanes out of one. Markings are for one on certain stretches but again people are too important to queue and like to cut up the inside. Yes there is space on some of it, but road markings are for one lane

I would add the bus lane on Blackhall Place to Stoneybatter and the yellow box on Parkgate Street to this list except the Gardai do appear at these from time to time. Equally frustrating though.

Now maybe I'm an idiot for obeying the rules of the road, but every time I drive these streets I see these issues. Do the Gardai not care? They were very proactive at fining people on College Green in the last few months..a spell on these streets, particularly Tara Street would also be lucrative.

Are these Garda issues or City Council/NRA to deal with the markings? Something needs to be done :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's the Countrypeople do that, not Dubs. Wouldn't happen in Duhalllow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

athtrasna wrote: »

Are these Garda issues or City Council/NRA to deal with the markings? Something needs to be done :mad:

None of these agencies have the management acumen to address your very valid concerns.

They are,in the main,now dominated by earnest young graduate types,all weighed down with CGI Laptop programmes of perfectly functioning traffic models....

Take a look at St Stephens Green East....between Hume St and Merrion Row....pay attention to the Statutory Road Markings,solid white line and all that...then watch the antics of those for whom queing to turn left is just too much to bear.......;)

This is NEW,Improved and straight off the Windows 8 of DCC....plus well monitored by CCTV......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

One that really bugs me is Samuel Beckett bridge heading northbound. People think it's clever to skip through the hatching on the south side of the bridge and then go up the bus lane and force their way into the right lane at the lights so they can progress up Guild St. If the Guards are revenue collectors (as it seems) then they would get about 20 vehicles here every 5-10 minutes. This dangerous behaviour is one of the main causes of tail backs on Macken st. and the right turn from Pearse st. onto Macken st.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

East Wall Road, two lanes form even though there's only one through the lights at Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

North end of the M50. Only the right hand lane should continue straight on towards malahide/N32. Doesnt stop people in the middle lane just driving straight on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

AlekSmart wrote: »
    None of these agencies have the management acumen to address your very valid concerns.

They are,in the main,now dominated by earnest young graduate types,all weighed down with CGI Laptop programmes of perfectly functioning traffic models....

Take a look at St Stephens Green East....between Hume St and Merrion Row....pay attention to the Statutory Road Markings,solid white line and all that...then watch the antics of those for whom queing to turn left is just too much to bear.......;)

This is NEW,Improved and straight off the Windows 8 of DCC....plus well monitored by CCTV......;)

Not helped by the delivery vans ignoring the clearway on both sides of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

O'Connell Bridge northbound onto O'Connell Street. Vehicles in lane 2 on the Bridge seem to have a problem observing the slight kink in alignment keeping to lane 2 for O'Connell Street - instead veering over to lane 1 because they are directly facing it from the Bridge. I've seen an unmarked garda car do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Oh Alec you never fail to make me laugh :D

The problems you mention in town, OP largely stem from the idea of applying the same roadmarkings that work perfectly well in suburban/rural/dualcarriageway environments to the chaotic city centre and expecting the same results. There is just too much unpredictability in town and the city centre could do with a more relaxed approach to roadmarkings and signage etc. Now I'm not suggesting going full Drachten on it (look it up, great experiment by Hans Monderman). What with uneven street widths, protruding buildings, and the joyous oneway system, it is hard to keep lanes/paths of uniform width for all users. Somebody mentioned commercial vehicles - also taxis, passenger drop offs, general weaving of all road users, crossing peds - all conspiring against this freeflow ideal which just isn't possible in the centre. Left turn slip lanes are completely out of place in town, and only serve to get motorists' hopes up that they will get through the lights faster. They're dangerous for people on bikes and force peds to cross the road in several sections and huddle on tiny islands (cf. Jan Gahl quoted in the Times yesterday). Bridge Street, I'm looking at you.

So in short, I dont think this is a matter for the Gardaí, but a case of having streets more sympathetically redesigned, taking local anomalies into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, you may be a commuter, but I think that a lot of the problem is caused by people who are not familiar with how the roads are laid out, or driving on them....people up from the county to go to a match or do some shopping, Dubs who only come into town every now and then if Liffey Valley or Dundrum doesn't have what they are looking for, tourists, high turn over in delivery drivers & vans drivers & new employees trying to figure out what they are doing & where they are going on the fly. The road layout is going to be a damm near impossible thing to fix, but are a lot of the problems could be solved by improving:

Road markings on the ground itself. How exactly are you supposed to see them, if they are covered up by cars all the time? I have pretty good eye sight, but even I can't see through metal. So what else then?

Put more signs at the side of the road, saying which lane is for what. Put them further back so that drivers can see them & are not all trying to cram into one lane from the next, just a couple of car lengths from a junction. Make them bigger, so that you can actually see them from further back.

Put more over head signs telling drivers what direction their lane goes and that there is no turning from it or whatever. Good luck seeing signs at the side of the road, at 5 o'clock on a December evening, when it is lashing rain.

Put up bollards or lane dividers, so that the crap that takes place at the top of Tara St can not take place. If you are still in the middle lane by the time you get to the top of Tara St, tough luck buddy, you is going all the way across the river, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

traprunner wrote: »
    One that really bugs me is Samuel Beckett bridge heading northbound. People think it's clever to skip through the hatching on the south side of the bridge and then go up the bus lane and force their way into the right lane at the lights so they can progress up Guild St. If the Guards are revenue collectors (as it seems) then they would get about 20 vehicles here every 5-10 minutes. This dangerous behaviour is one of the main causes of tail backs on Macken st. and the right turn from Pearse st. onto Macken st.

I actually have seen Gardai stop cars coming from the O2 and turning left onto the bridge (which is not allowed) once or twice. Mostly, they are not there however and I see this rule being flouted daily as I walk past it. I also saw a car doing same and ended up knocking a cyclist down who was going straight (thankfully not injured). Wished the Gardai were there for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The next step on from this is as you turn to SSG North, it's a single lane with a cycle lane to the left (continuous white line). You have traffic trying to form two lanes, blocking cyclists from their lane, taxi drivers stopping suddenly to allow passengers out, again on the cycle lane and you even regularly have cars/taxis and some coaches attempting to do a U-turn to get to the front of the Shelbourne (or better yet, twice I've seen taxis just drive straight across, thus facing the wrong way to oncoming traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

The turn on to SSG North used to have two lanes, and still has room to do so; should traffic not form two queues to use the space more efficiently? DCC tend to have an aversion to marking out traffic lanes except close to junctions (there are some exceptions). Look at all the examples of streets where no lanes are marked but there is plenty of space therefore drivers have become used to creating "imaginary" lanes and this has become the norm. Off hand I can think of Gardiner St., Merrion Sq. East, Kildare St. and Kevin St . If such traffic lanes were properly marked would it lead to less confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

00112984 wrote: »
    The turn on to SSG North used to have two lanes, and still has room to do so; should traffic not form two queues to use the space more efficiently? DCC tend to have an aversion to marking out traffic lanes except close to junctions (there are some exceptions). Look at all the examples of streets where no lanes are marked but there is plenty of space therefore drivers have become used to creating "imaginary" lanes and this has become the norm. Off hand I can think of Gardiner St., Merrion Sq. East, Kildare St. and Kevin St . If such traffic lanes were properly marked would it lead to less confusion?
    Absolutely there's room for two lanes, IF there was no cycle lane there. Which is precisely my point! There is and it's ignored for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The problem is that road markings in Ireland (along with footpaths, bus bays, traffic signals, speed limits, parking restrictions and general signage) are for many people merely decorations.

Likewise, our traffic wardens and police force (including the Garda Traffic Corps) are not really keen on rigorously enforcing the law.

As they amble along ignoring traffic and parking offences, they are effectively reinforcing our Irish culture of casual disregard for law and order.

I was at a public event recently at which a member of the Traffic Corps parked his motorbike across the dished kerb of a small pedestrian island, and then spent at least 15 minutes chatting to a passer-by, oblivious to traffic and parking chaos around him. His presence there made no difference whatsoever, except to reassure everyone that Light Touch Regulation still reigns supreme in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

When I had some visitors over to Dublin recently from Warsaw, they were amazed at how casually we would cross roads(jaywalking etc) - where they come from, they would expect to be fined heavily. Seems like they would have a culture where enforcement of traffic laws is built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ongarboy wrote: »
    I actually have seen Gardai stop cars coming from the O2 and turning left onto the bridge (which is not allowed) once or twice. Mostly, they are not there however and I see this rule being flouted daily as I walk past it. I also saw a car doing same and ended up knocking a cyclist down who was going straight (thankfully not injured). Wished the Gardai were there for that one.

Problem is that banned turn is only to protect revenue on the east link till bridge, there are no traffic management or safety reasons why someone shouldnt be allowed turn left there.

Some of the problems identified are where common sense meets bureaucracy, should there be two left lanes ? Should there be a left lane and a left/straight ahead lane?
    Sometimes when people aren't behaving as they are supposed to its because what they are supposed to do makes no sense, is badly designed or just badly communicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cdebru wrote: »
    Problem is that banned turn is only to protect revenue on the east link till bridge, there are no traffic management or safety reasons why someone shouldnt be allowed turn left there.

Some of the problems identified are where common sense meets bureaucracy, should there be two left lanes ? Should there be a left lane and a left/straight ahead lane?
    Sometimes when people aren't behaving as they are supposed to its because what they are supposed to do makes no sense, is badly designed or just badly communicated.

I'm not sure that's completely true.

The traffic levels in that area are already very high. If you allowed turns onto the Quays as well you would have total gridlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Some of the responses to the OP seem to suggest a view that traffic should be forming two lanes, where one lane is only marked, and that better traffic throughput would be maintained by shoehorning in as many traffic lanes as will fit.

I would be of entirely the opposite opinion. The more traffic lanes, the more traffic will flood in and fill them. It is not lack of traffic lanes that causes traffic jams, it is junction capacity. I think, within the entire city cordon, there is nowhere that should have more than one single file traffic lane in any particular direction, excluding bus lanes and cycle lanes, except in particular instances where traffic is filtering in two or three different directions.

Dublin's problem is that the whole road system is entirely unmanaged. Nobody is directing or monitoring the day to day problems. In fact nobody seems to care if there are problems at all. Frank MacDonald was talking on the radio only today, about how pedestrians have to 'apply' to cross a road, by pressing a button, which doesn't even have any effect on the light sequence in most cases, but is rather a placebo effect. Pedestrians should have far more right of way on the city streets. Yet some here seem to be advocating draconian systems elsewhere in Europe, whereby pedestrians are fined, to keep them off the streets altogether!

I saw a fine example of farcical Dublin planning today, which prompted me to post it anyway, before I saw this thread. There, in D'Olier Street, was a taxi with a clamp on it, and the driver and his client standing wondering what to do next. It had evidently happened quickly, while the taxi driver went to look for his client.

The point of it was, the taxi was in a long, empty stretch of disc parking, with only two or three other cars parked in it, on the 'offside' of the street, out of the way of the traffic flow. So many taxis simply stop in the middle of a busy traffic flow, regardless of their obstruction, and yet here was a taxi who got in out of the way, while running across to collect his client. I venture to suggest that had the taxi stopped on the bus stop side of the street, blocking everything, he would not have been clamped. His crime was to park in a disc parking space, and not to pay the fee.

All over this city, private cars, taxis, vans, lorries, and even buses, park in awkward places, causing enormous disruption to the flow around them, yet never, ever get clamped. The clampers exist purely to protect the lucrative revenue stream accruing from thousands of disc parking spaces. The crime is not paying the fee. Causing obstruction to traffic is wholly ignored.

In too many cases, vans and lorries are parked blocking traffic, because their official 'loading bay' is full of parked cars. Through passage of as many private cars is facilitated over all else, and where any deference at all is given to cyclists or buses, it is not to speed up their progress, but simply to keep them 'out of the way' of all the cars.

Double lanes of traffic, as seen all over the city, serve no good purpose at all, except to facilitate speeding, and overtaking. There should be no speeding or overtaking anywhere within the canal cordon, and there should be no double lanes anywhere that promote this. All of those double lanes of private cars can only put through as much traffic as the congested junctions would allow, and in the majority of cases, those junctions would operate much more efficiently if there were just one lane of traffic moving swiftly through, rather than two lanes shoving against each other, jostling to get ahead, trying and failing to merge, and squeezing cyclists out in the rush to make two lanes out of one.

I would gladly see every single street in the city reduced to single lane, giving ample space in many cases for safer cycle lanes, and better bus lanes, and wider footpaths for pedestrians. It would cause great consternation for a while, but everyone would get on with it, and the world wouldn't end. O'Connell Street was reduced from a multi lane highway down to single lane plus bus lane, and we seemed to manage. The quays is the obvious next candidate. Time to shove the cars out for a change, instead of shoving the buses and the bicycles out, or hemming them into unsafe and badly designed lanes, provided purely to keep them out of the way of the throughput of private cars.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's completely true.

The traffic levels in that area are already very high. If you allowed turns onto the Quays as well you would have total gridlock.

Its a turn off the quays not onto them, the traffic.management plan for that bridge has one express purpose and that is to make the bridge virtually inaccessible to traffic coming from the East Wall and the area to the east of the Malahide road that is why a series of turn bans were introduced when it was opened, the purpose is to funnel that traffic over the toll bridge.
    It is a revenue protection plan not a traffic management plan.
    The left turn ban from the quays onto the bridge means traffic wanting to access the Pearse St/Canals etc is forced further up into the bottle neck at Matt Talbot or pay the toll and double back on yourself.

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Some of the responses to the OP seem to suggest a view that traffic should be forming two lanes, where one lane is only marked, and that better traffic throughput would be maintained by shoehorning in as many traffic lanes as will fit.

I would be of entirely the opposite opinion. The more traffic lanes, the more traffic will flood in and fill them. It is not lack of traffic lanes that causes traffic jams, it is junction capacity. I think, within the entire city cordon, there is nowhere that should have more than one single file traffic lane in any particular direction, excluding bus lanes and cycle lanes, except in particular instances where traffic is filtering in two or three different directions.

Dublin's problem is that the whole road system is entirely unmanaged. Nobody is directing or monitoring the day to day problems. In fact nobody seems to care if there are problems at all. Frank MacDonald was talking on the radio only today, about how pedestrians have to 'apply' to cross a road, by pressing a button, which doesn't even have any effect on the light sequence in most cases, but is rather a placebo effect. Pedestrians should have far more right of way on the city streets. Yet some here seem to be advocating draconian systems elsewhere in Europe, whereby pedestrians are fined, to keep them off the streets altogether!

I saw a fine example of farcical Dublin planning today, which prompted me to post it anyway, before I saw this thread. There, in D'Olier Street, was a taxi with a clamp on it, and the driver and his client standing wondering what to do next. It had evidently happened quickly, while the taxi driver went to look for his client.

The point of it was, the taxi was in a long, empty stretch of disc parking, with only two or three other cars parked in it, on the 'offside' of the street, out of the way of the traffic flow. So many taxis simply stop in the middle of a busy traffic flow, regardless of their obstruction, and yet here was a taxi who got in out of the way, while running across to collect his client. I venture to suggest that had the taxi stopped on the bus stop side of the street, blocking everything, he would not have been clamped. His crime was to park in a disc parking space, and not to pay the fee.

All over this city, private cars, taxis, vans, lorries, and even buses, park in awkward places, causing enormous disruption to the flow around them, yet never, ever get clamped. The clampers exist purely to protect the lucrative revenue stream accruing from thousands of disc parking spaces. The crime is not paying the fee. Causing obstruction to traffic is wholly ignored.

In too many cases, vans and lorries are parked blocking traffic, because their official 'loading bay' is full of parked cars. Through passage of as many private cars is facilitated over all else, and where any deference at all is given to cyclists or buses, it is not to speed up their progress, but simply to keep them 'out of the way' of all the cars.

Double lanes of traffic, as seen all over the city, serve no good purpose at all, except to facilitate speeding, and overtaking. There should be no speeding or overtaking anywhere within the canal cordon, and there should be no double lanes anywhere that promote this. All of those double lanes of private cars can only put through as much traffic as the congested junctions would allow, and in the majority of cases, those junctions would operate much more efficiently if there were just one lane of traffic moving swiftly through, rather than two lanes shoving against each other, jostling to get ahead, trying and failing to merge, and squeezing cyclists out in the rush to make two lanes out of one.

I would gladly see every single street in the city reduced to single lane, giving ample space in many cases for safer cycle lanes, and better bus lanes, and wider footpaths for pedestrians. It would cause great consternation for a while, but everyone would get on with it, and the world wouldn't end. O'Connell Street was reduced from a multi lane highway down to single lane plus bus lane, and we seemed to manage. The quays is the obvious next candidate. Time to shove the cars out for a change, instead of shoving the buses and the bicycles out, or hemming them into unsafe and badly designed lanes, provided purely to keep them out of the way of the throughput of private cars.

You are addressing a different point I think to the one the OP was making and the one I was answering. If there are multiple lanes and how they should be laid out is a different discussion to whether there should be multiple lanes. But since we are on the subject the most obvious problem in Dublin is the way we toll roads, the east link and the west link, 2 bridges with the potential to keep cars out of the city center and we toll both of them, incentivising people to come into the center to avoid the tolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cdebru wrote: »
    Its a turn off the quays not onto them, the traffic.management plan for that bridge has one express purpose and that is to make the bridge virtually inaccessible to traffic coming from the East Wall and the area to the east of the Malahide road that is why a series of turn bans were introduced when it was opened, the purpose is to funnel that traffic over the toll bridge.
    It is a revenue protection plan not a traffic management plan.
    The left turn ban from the quays onto the bridge means traffic wanting to access the Pearse St/Canals etc is forced further up into the bottle neck at Matt Talbot or pay the toll and double back on yourself.

I would still argue that it is an effort to keep the traffic flowing - if you allowed traffic to make that turn, the whole area would just grind to a standstill.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would still argue that it is an effort to keep the traffic flowing - if you allowed traffic to make that turn, the whole area would just grind to a standstill.

Only because there is a ridiculous toll on the relief road for the quays. If you could turn left more traffic would go that way to avoid the toll, that just highlights how stupid it is to be tolling people for doing what you want them to do stay out of the city centre.
    The toll bridges should be on the quays.

Eponymous wrote: »
    The next step on from this is as you turn to SSG North, it's a single lane with a cycle lane to the left (continuous white line). You have traffic trying to form two lanes, blocking cyclists from their lane, taxi drivers stopping suddenly to allow passengers out, again on the cycle lane and you even regularly have cars/taxis and some coaches attempting to do a U-turn to get to the front of the Shelbourne (or better yet, twice I've seen taxis just drive straight across, thus facing the wrong way to oncoming traffic).

Regarding the U-Turn on SSG North at the top of Kildare Street....many might notice the (Very Effective) line of plastic bollards to prevent segregate the traffic flows......the more observant however,will notice that there is ONE bollard strategically absent...not removed...but never installed in the first place....just the right size gap to fit a Taxi through :eek:.

Deliberate or Oversight...My attempts to get a response fro DCC have thus far come to naught....:rolleyes:

It facilitates last minute U-turns to the Shelbourne and also Right Hand Turns from Kildare St to the grazing grounds along Dawson Street...;)

I suspect DCC wish to keep The Shelbourne "onside" by ensuring that their trans-Atlantic clientele can simply raise a pinky and have a Yellow-Cab screech to a halt beside them in seconds....:p

As the Luas work progresses,Kildare St will eventually become 2-way,so I'd imagine DCC are hoping nobody raises too much of a flap until that day arrives.

Most of the issues surrounding effective and sustainable Traffic Management revert to the presence of Multi-Storey Car Parks within the City Centre,virtually all of which are accesed through Laneways,or via convoluted back-doubles along side streets.

DCC remain on notice that ANY restriction of universal Private Car access to these "facilities" will be immediately challenged in the courts and as a result will ALWAYS strive to maintain full access to the Car Parks.....Bus Gates or no Bus Gates.....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Half the road marking make no sense, and theres very little enforcement.

The is a traffic plan. Its to make the city center as unfriendly as possible for cars.

But like everything, its done half heartedly and unprofessionally. Just like the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

While I agree with the OP, I have to say that road design is pretty poor within the city, lanes disappear and merge with no warning. There are cycle lanes that are just ploughed through normal lanes without any change to how the normal lanes function, which leads to confusion. What do you do when half of the lane you're in becomes a cycle lane? is your car supposed to magically reduce it's width by 50%?

Pedestrian facilities are utterly inadequate. lights for pedestrians will remain red for prolonged periods of time, even when there is no conflicting traffic movement, encouraging people to jwalk. The lack of design means that people will ignore the lights and just cross when they can, because they don't have faith in DCC's ability to get them across the road safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

O'Connell Bridge northbound onto O'Connell Street. Vehicles in lane 2 on the Bridge seem to have a problem observing the slight kink in alignment keeping to lane 2 for O'Connell Street - instead veering over to lane 1 because they are directly facing it from the Bridge. I've seen an unmarked garda car do it.

Yeah thats a good spot. I think whats needed there is a set of broken white lines to mark out the kink in alignment, even if they have to be painted over the yellow box in the junction. Because at the moment if you are sitting in lane one next to a car in lane two if he takes off slightly faster than you then there is a chance a driver unfamiliar with the kink in alignment would drift into lane one and cause a crash. When Im on the motorbike I'm always ready to get away quick as if I'n not I run a slight risk of the car beside me drifting into lane one while I'm in it but sitting in his blind spot.
    Regarding the U-Turn on SSG North at the top of Kildare Street....many might notice the (Very Effective) line of plastic bollards to prevent segregate the traffic flows......the more observant however,will notice that there is ONE bollard strategically absent...not removed...but never installed in the first place....just the right size gap to fit a Taxi through :eek:.

Deliberate or Oversight...My attempts to get a response fro DCC have thus far come to naught....:rolleyes:

It facilitates last minute U-turns to the Shelbourne and also Right Hand Turns from Kildare St to the grazing grounds along Dawson Street...;)

I suspect DCC wish to keep The Shelbourne "onside" by ensuring that their trans-Atlantic clientele can simply raise a pinky and have a Yellow-Cab screech to a halt beside them in seconds....:p

As the Luas work progresses,Kildare St will eventually become 2-way,so I'd imagine DCC are hoping nobody raises too much of a flap until that day arrives.

Most of the issues surrounding effective and sustainable Traffic Management revert to the presence of Multi-Storey Car Parks within the City Centre,virtually all of which are accesed through Laneways,or via convoluted back-doubles along side streets.

DCC remain on notice that ANY restriction of universal Private Car access to these "facilities" will be immediately challenged in the courts and as a result will ALWAYS strive to maintain full access to the Car Parks.....Bus Gates or no Bus Gates.....:o

Yeah I had noticed that bollard missing myself. I'd thought to myself the Gardai might have removed it to give themselves a right hand turn at the top of Kildare St. Or maybe the lads who run the horse drawn carriages removed it to make their route back to base easier & quicker.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I had noticed that bollard missing myself. I'd thought to myself the Gardai might have removed it to give themselves a right hand turn at the top of Kildare St. Or maybe the lads who run the horse drawn carriages removed it to make their route back to base easier & quicker.

Incredible or what !!! :eek:

The Gap in the SSG/Kildare St bollards has disappeared...a brand new unit sits where yesterday there was (Strategic) fresh air....this can only mean one thing.......we are being watched ! :eek:.

Mind you,the brand new Bollard has already been partially yanked out of it's baseplate....I wonder by whom.....:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Slightly out of the city but prime candidate for this thread is Rathgar Road opposite the Garda station. Double yellow lines but shure park there anyway, just popping into the take away, just be a minute..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As is the one on Blackhall place heading into Stoneybatter. Bus Lane should be removed IMO as you're more likely to be delayed on the bus by idiots blocking the bus lane than there would be if it was a proper traffic lane.

Advertisement