Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cable extension

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Ok I need to extend the UPC cable in the bedroom. Already have multiroom set up. Anyone know the exact type of cable I need to get and will connecting a new piece with a connector mess up the HD display? I just need to add 2-3 extra feet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

you can buy one of these in jack fitzgerald in town or n Maplin, b&q or any tv shop

http://www.maplin.co.uk/f-plug-to-f-plug-leads-29536

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

skyguy19 wrote: »
    you can buy one of these in jack fitzgerald in town or n Maplin, b&q or any tv shop

http://www.maplin.co.uk/f-plug-to-f-plug-leads-29536
    This connects from my current cable and socket to the new one? Do I not need to cut the cable and re fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

have you a upc box on your wall that a cable comes from and going to a box or is a cable going straight into your tv

The UPC box is in the main room. UPC then put a splitter and ran that cable around the apartment into the bedroom where I have my second box. I moved the room around so I just nee dto extend the current cable by 3-4 feet. So I assume I nee dto cut the current cable, attach the new cable with connectors and reattach the cable port at the end to go into HD box.

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't need to cut the cable at all, just get a suitable length F-connector to F-connector extension cable and a F-joiner, e.g. http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?F_Joiner_Back_To_Back-pid286.html

Thats what I need, perfect, cheers lads

Well that didn't work! On closer inspection the cable going into the back of my hd box isn't a regular satalitte cable but a regular coaxial! Does anyone actually know which make of able is needed for best quality?

So, it's just a loose cable they 'installed' then with a regular coax connector on the end? No UPC box on the wall? That's a bit odd.

You should be able to exchange what you bought for a standard coax aerial extension lead in that case.

coylemj wrote: »
    The plug going into the hd box is co-ax but the other end is an f connector, take that existing cable out of the wall box and bring it with the hd box to the new location, then use the extender to run from the wall box to the adaper, plug the existing short cable into the other end of the adapter and the co-ax end into the hd box, probem solved.
    That'd depend on the existing cable being loose as opposed to being somehow fixed to wall / skirting board, or whatever though. It's not clear whether that's the case or not, but if it is loose that would work certainly.

EDIT: Coylemj's post disappeared before I hit the Post button :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Alun wrote: »
    That'd depend on the existing cable being loose as opposed to being somehow fixed to wall / skirting board, or whatever though. It's not clear whether that's the case or not, but if it is loose that would work certainly.

EDIT: Coylemj's post disappeared before I hit the Post button :)

Thanks Alun, I realised I was making an assumption that was probably wrong and deleted my post, you were too quick for me.

coylemj wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, I realised I was making an assumption that was probably wrong and deleted my post, you were too quick for me.
    No problem :D

By the way forzacalcio, if you're anywhere near Bray I have a "man drawer" full of surplus cables like that, so you could have one for free if you like!

Cheers for the help lads. Basically it was on the wall on one side of them room lose and now I have the TV on the other side and Im short about 2feet. So I assume I a male to male coaxial link and a cable with two male connectors on each side. Just thought that UPC HD would use more advanced cable than a regualr coaxial.

I rang UPC earlier asking about this but they kept me on hold for ages so i got fed up. Surely they should have put a connector box in the room on the floor? Strange one

By the way I cant really bring the cables back, I stupidly opened the packaging beforelooking at the connection. Its one of those packages once you cut it open, it aint closing.

You just need a good quality standard aerial extension lead, male connector one end, female the other, available at any DIY store or places like DID or Power City.

Did you get it sorted?

Sure did, a regular Female/ Female connector and male/male cable and bingo!
    Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

The end has come off the UPC cable coax cable that runs into my house.
    It's used for broadband.
    Is crimping a new connector onto the cable straightforward?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, but screwing one on is:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p8.htm http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm or similar guide. Note the amalgamating tape, grease etc are for outdoor use - you don't need anything like that for indoor.

Crimping involves buying the tools and connectors that you won't get in a consumer outlet and I've seen more first-timer screwups on crimped plugs than screwon ones. Whereas you can get the screwon ones in Power City, B&Q, Homebase, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Hi

Sorry for bringing up an old post but I have the same issue. I want to move a computer from one room to another. I was wondering do wireless versions of these cables exist?

What's the best thing to do, put a hole in the wall and run the cable through?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Hi all,

UPC are charging me an arm and a leg for cabling to a new room. I already have multiroom (2 rooms) but i want to have another room done. Does anyone know what type of cable I need, is it just coax cable, or something different to allow for HD?? any help would be great!!

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement