Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's details gets entered in to DNS?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

A friend and I were talking about this earler and neither of us are absolutely sure of the correct answer. For example if my mate registers a domain on behalf of a client of his, who's information does he enter in the DNS records. His or the clients?

I know if he registers [somesite].com for [someclient] then we both imagine ownership is transferred on to the client once my mate gets paid. So there is no question of ownership there, but if they have not paid up front, then should he enter his own details and then change them later, or what?

Also surely my mate would always be an administrative contact, billing contact, but not owner of the domain, is that correct?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Short answer, it's best to have all of those details in the customers control.

Domain and hosting should either be done and dusted up front or at the end depending on how you wish to operate. At no point should you be stuck with a domain and hosting that you don't need if a client bails out, and they should not be stuck having to deal with you every year just to renew the domain or deal with hosting problems.

Advertisement