Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ftv

• 27-04-2005 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just to clarify the situation, if I had a friend in the UK with a sky subscription and he bought an FTV card would it work in my Irish digibox, and does it need to be authorised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

Yes It would work ok. And yes you need to get it authorised. But you could get your friend to get it authorised before he sends it on to you. But no big problem getting it authorised your self. Its just a matter of knowing his details such as his address serial number of your box and version number to. Also if you ring from ireland make sure you hide your phone number so sky dont know where you are ringing from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 screenman

Thanks for info. Just one more question, I have been told that if you register the card it will only work on the digibox it was registered with. is this true? If so would it be better for me to get my friend to register the card using my digibox no.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This was true for BBC when BBC was encrpted, but BBC works without a card thus no longer true.

It is still true for Subscription cards (i.e. Disney, Sky Sports, RTE etc), but not all subscrpition channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

screenman wrote:
    Just one more question, I have been told that if you register the card it will only work on the digibox it was registered with. is this true? ?
    FTV cards once registerd will work in any sky digital box. As watty says Subscription cards it a diffefent story. Get your friend to register the card in his box less hassel all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭denis1501

I have 2 cards, both active. I only need one. If you're stuck pm me and maybe we can do a deal.
    regards
    D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Hi,

I have an FTV card from the UK (Scotland) but haven't used it since Christmas. I tried to use it this morning and can get BBC1 Scotland and BBC2 Scotland (on 101 and 102) but ITV, C4 and C5 is telling me to contact broadcaster.
    Has the card been deactivated?
    Is there anything I can do to rectify?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

kaiphas wrote:
    I have an FTV card from the UK (Scotland) but haven't used it since Christmas. I tried to use it this morning and can get BBC1 Scotland and BBC2 Scotland (on 101 and 102) but ITV, C4 and C5 is telling me to contact broadcaster.
    Has the card been deactivated?
    Is there anything I can do to rectify?
    The card has missed one or more 'stay awake' signals.

Leave the card in the box and leave the box switched on or on standby and ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4 and five should all appear within 48 hours.

N.B. The card will go to sleep again if you don't use it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

Yeah, had the exact same thing happen to me and they all reappeared after I left the card in for a while. ITV took longest, but C4 and Five were quick to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks Sargent121 & Bazza - followed your advise and now the FTV card is back activated. Thanks for your help & feedback. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jofus

I am thinking of having either a fta or ftvsystem installed. Can anyone advise whether a system with BBC's only or a system with ITV CH4 etc works well in ROI. I have seen the latter advertised and wonder if anyone has any advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Both systems would work OK. I'd personally go down the FTV route, as I'd like the extra few channels. If possible, I'd get a relative/mate in NI or UK to get you an FTV card (only £20stg) and get a second hand digibox from Classifieds paper or soemthing, then get someone to install a dish etc. Would be fairly cheaper

byte wrote:
    Both systems would work OK. I'd personally go down the FTV route, as I'd like the extra few channels. If possible, I'd get a relative/mate in NI or UK to get you an FTV card (only £20stg) and get a second hand digibox from Classifieds paper or soemthing, then get someone to install a dish etc. Would be fairly cheaper

Thanks, On the issue of ITV systems did it work out and how long normally does a card last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jofus wrote:
    Thanks, On the issue of ITV systems did it work out and how long normally does a card last.
    The card's guaranteed to work (or to be replaced if Sky do an encryption upgrade) till December 2005 at least. I've had mine for a year with no problems swapping in and out regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

sceptre wrote:
    The card's guaranteed to work (or to be replaced if Sky do an encryption upgrade) till December 2005 at least.
    December 2005?
    From Sky's T&Cs for Freesat_from_sky "If we replace Viewing Cards within ... 3 years (if you have paid £20) of your card’s first enablement, then a replacement Viewing Card will be provided to you free of charge"
    That's May 2008 if he activates it this month etc.

iano wrote:
    December 2005?
    From Sky's T&Cs for Freesat_from_sky "If we replace Viewing Cards within ... 3 years (if you have paid £20) of your card’s first enablement, then a replacement Viewing Card will be provided to you free of charge"
    Thanks, I'm moving house and was thinking of installing a system to include all BBC's ITV's and Ch4 and 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

iano wrote:
    December 2005?
    Hmmm, that's interesting - all the stuff back along said December 05. Better though and glad to be corrected.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's why it's better if you can get a card through a mate or relative in UK, so that if the card is replaced, they can forward it to you. I dunno how this works if you pay the extreme prices from some FTV resellers as usually, you've no details of who the card was initially addressed to?

Advertisement