Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIDL Satellite System: Multiple Satillite Reception without moving dish.

Options
  • 01-02-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has successfully added LNBs to the single LNB LIDL digital satellite system. I'm particulary interested in receiving the Hotbird satellites @ 13 degrees and the Astra satellites 2A/B/D @ 28.2 degrees (without having to move the dish).

It would seem that the receiver can handle this enhancement as you can specify which LNB a TV station is tuned through. Additionally the receiver supports automatic switching of LNBs through its DISeqC interface.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

I have 3 LNB's (13E 19E and 28E) on the one dish feeding into a Lidl reciever via a manual switchbox

I will probably upgrade to a diseq switch or even a Diseq motor once Ive got my head around how to set one up :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Thanks for that; what type of dish do you have and where did you get the multi-LNB holder from? I've been looking for a multi-LNB (universal) holder in Ireland but can't get one anywhere.....

I've got my DISeqC switch already; you shouldn't find it difficult to set up, just take three cable feeds from each LNB to switch and connect switch output to receiver. On the LIDL receiver side you just need to specify which LNB (1/2/3) to use for each channel on the 'Edit' channels menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

taung wrote:
    Thanks for that; what type of dish do you have and where did you get the multi-LNB holder from? I've been looking for a multi-LNB (universal) holder in Ireland but can't get one anywhere.....

I've got my DISeqC switch already; you shouldn't find it difficult to set up, just take three cable feeds from each LNB to switch and connect switch output to receiver. On the LIDL receiver side you just need to specify which LNB (1/2/3) to use for each channel on the 'Edit' channels menu.

Hi
    I made one out of "mecano" type metal strip used in building industry and "mupro" plumbing clamps, perfect fit for 40mm collar. Not very heavy. Long bolts with extra locknuts give diff height adjustments etc.,
    search for my posts under "multi lnb" here. 4 satellites on 3 LNBs.
    I was sad enough to take a photo before installation ...available if wanted.
    Again as a novice ,all done with help from the guys here.

t

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

tapest wrote:
    I was sad enough to take a photo before installation ...available if wanted.

Please, I'd like to have a look as I'm thinking of doing it myself...

Hi Tapest,

Checked out your postings, well done there. Could you please post photo of your meccano holder so as I don't have to re-invent whell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

taung wrote:
    Hi Tapest,

Checked out your postings, well done there. Could you please post photo of your meccano holder so as I don't have to re-invent whell?
    Would be interested in the photo too. What is the proper name for the meccano strip, btw? (just in case it is not understood by the salesperson).

I've purchased the following items last night;

HeleKapbeugels.jpg (Wavin Pipe Clips, 0.79, Woodies)
    p2334446_x.jpg (Carpet Cover Strip, 3.69, Woodies)

I will attempt to make a home-made multi-LNB holder (see attached gif for pre-liminary deisgn) over the weekend and will let you know how I got on......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Some nice ideas by the people here making home made LNB brackets. Good stuff lads, I like inventiveness (not sure if that is an actual word but you know what I mean smile.gif).

inigo wrote:
    Please, I'd like to have a look as I'm thinking of doing it myself...

taung Hi Tapest,

SkepticOne
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taung
    Hi Tapest,

Would be interested in the photo too. What is the proper name for the meccano strip, btw? (just in case it is not understood by the salesperson).

OK Guys ...You asked for it. Sorry about delay in getting back to you. I filed them away too well and had trouble locating them.
    The mecano strip I used comes in a roll, and diff widths. Single lengths are available for car shops but are heavier / more rigid.
    The stuff I used is from builders yard... And the central " U " to wrap around LNB arm is the top half of an electrical "saddle" used to hold metal conduit to wall. And the beauty is they're all galvanised,so no rusting. Get rust proof bolts or if you used "Threaded Bar" (widely available) spray with galvanise spray or nearly as good women's hair spray ( the cheapest and stickier the better)

Note I cut 3 slots in mecano strip to give adjustment and bent the strip where the "U" is in vice (vicegrip and a small piece flat steel will do) to roughly the same off-set angle as LNB is on original arm.
    If doing it again I would cut the slots as long as possible.
    For your measurments, I found from central astra 1 LNB, astra 2 and hotbird LNBs are 5" and 3" distant from central LNB, LNB centre to LNB centre....That's your rough starting point. Strip is too long at 12 "
    Hopes this helps
    Sorry about being long winded
    Once again I'm a newbie...can't get any time to play with the sats. The above only possible with generous help from the guys on boards...and their inexaustable patience.

NOW I know I'm going to regret the following....I have a little strip left ..I said a little..,if anyone in Dublin is in need and can't get any, but please try yourself

tapest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fantastic adaption. My multi LNB arm is homemade as well but I have a Lenson Heath dish!

• Advertisement

snaps wrote:
    Fantastic adaption. My multi LNB arm is homemade as well but I have a Lenson Heath dish!

Thx for compliment...but the lads here helped.
    "Lenson Heath dish!" Whats the diff.??..should still work
    I really should take it down again, and using it as guide make another one to exact measurements, thus saving weight.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dublinli

does the ready made lnb holder not do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Thanks for those photos. I'm glad to see that the dish handles those three satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Real nice bit of modding Tapest.

dublinli wrote:
    does the ready made lnb holder not do the job

Yes ..If you want to receive ONE satellite...but if you want to receive more....
    As I say " Why have a hundred channels you can't understand, when you can have a thousand" lol
    t

Got my home-made multi-LNB system up and running without too much bother. The calculated distance between the LNBs had to be reduced from 21.36 [cm] to about 19 [cm] and I had to put Astra 2 LNB shown on left below higher up than the Hotbird LNB (I guess Astra 2 has a lower orbit?).

So thanks for your inspiration Tapest and a very big thanks to those 'professional' guys at Zintek Systems in Tallaght for giving me the following advice;

1. The LIDL dish will fall over if you put more than one LNB on it
    2. The LIDL dish doesn't have sufficient gain for more than one LNB
    3. There is no such thing as a 'universal' multi-LNB holder.

The Hotbird signal was coming in at 70% strength and the Astra 2 signal (BBC) was a whopping 92%!!!

Here's hoping it won't be long before RTE/TV3/TG4/UTV(ITV)/C4 go Free-To-Air and I can get rid of ntl: altogether!

taung wrote:
    Got my home-made multi-LNB system up and running without too much bother. The calculated distance between the LNBs had to be reduced from 21.36 [cm] to about 19 [cm] and I had to put Astra 2 LNB shown on left below higher up than the Hotbird LNB (I guess Astra 2 has a lower orbit?).

So thanks for your inspiration Tapest and a very big thanks to those 'professional' guys at Zintek Systems in Tallaght for giving me the following advice;

The Hotbird signal was coming in at 70% strength and the Astra 2 signal (BBC) was a whopping 92%!!!

Here's hoping it won't be long before RTE/TV3/TG4/UTV(ITV)/C4 go Free-To-Air and I can get rid of ntl: altogether!

Ah Shucks!!!
    Hee Hee! Don't ya just love it.
    I have 2 bones to pick with you...lol
    a) Your effort is prettier than mine.....so take it down immediately.
    b) What about the big hole in the middle where the original LNB goes. One more LNB and Astra 1@ 19 degrees is there for the begging
    t

This is only Mark I, wait 'till you see Mark II !!!

Nothing on Astra @ 19 degrees that interests me, hence no middle LNB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Good job! I was always wondering if that setup would work (never fancied forking out for a motorised system). Time to pick up an extra LNB in the next Lidl 'giveaway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

I cant find the Astra 2 signal ( when pointing at Astra1 ), given up and pointed the dish at Astra 2 and within minutes Astra 1 was there , now happy to have Astra 1 & 2 working ( both at 93%) but cant get Hotbird while Im pointing at the blasted Astra 2 :confused: ??
    I have a sat finder but is there a trick to finding Astra 2 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

with one LNB you can only receive one satellite at any one time.

pjq wrote:
    I cant find the Astra 2 signal ( when pointing at Astra1 ), given up and pointed the dish at Astra 2 and within minutes Astra 1 was there , now happy to have Astra 1 & 2 working ( both at 93%) but cant get Hotbird while Im pointing at the blasted Astra 2 :confused: ??
    I have a sat finder but is there a trick to finding Astra 2 ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Excellent work Sir, there has always been a problem sourcing brackets as they are usually specific to a particular dish but your solution overcomes this.

Your other comments about "dish falling over" gave me a good laugh

taung wrote:

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement