Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2016

Options
  • 20-10-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I thought I would get this done as early as possible, most clubs are putting up their prices next year and in some cases by up to 30%, so best to get in early.

Before I get to the fixture list I would like to thank Seve and the commitee for the great year we had this year, its takes a lot of work behind the scenes to have it run as smooth as it did. I would also like to thank the guys at mygolfsociety for their help in getting the best prices possible, combined with our contacts I think we have managed to get some great rates at some of the best courses around.

So here is the list, its not 100% set in stone so if the majority want some changes we can review the list but as it stands it offers a great variety in location and course style.

We were very aware that this year some of the guys travelled great distances to attend and with this in mind we have spread the courses out a little more.

I will confirm exact prices later.

January 16th
    Rathcore

Internal Ryder Jug
    Dubs V's Non Dubs (I could use another term here !)
    This is just an idea at this stage but it should be fun and good pratcice to get the real Jug back

Febraury 20th
    Portmarnock Links (time to be confirmed)

March 19th
    Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club

April 23rd
    The Heritage

May 21st
    New Forest

June 18th
    Powerscourt East

July 23rd
    Castlemartyr Golf Club

August 20th
    Headford New

September 17th
    Galway Bay TBC

Captains Day

Please do let me know your thoughts.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

A great mix of courses. Head fort new is one of my favourites so delighted to see it there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you had me at hello :D

Super list of courses.

Best of Luck for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Looking forward to playing some courses that I haven't played before.

Any concerns about the May event being on the same weekend as the Irish Open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

From the sound of it this seems great fun and I'd love to meet you folks, too. So I'm thinking of joining.
    You wouldnt have to play all events, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 colm reilly

Great selection of courses ,would realy like to get on a few outings , just a pity all are on a Saturday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

On the ball early captain - fair play!

Good spread of courses both in style and location as you have said. Particularly looking forward to giving your home course another go. Like Poppy have played Headfort New a good few times and it's a top track.

A night out in Galway is always sure to be popular and gives me an excuse to head West. Hopefully scrubber is around this year and can show us around Galway Bay.

All in all looks set fair for another top year :)

Give it a try Boskowski - you won't regret it - great bunch of lads and lasses :pac:

Don't have to play every event but I think you have to play at least 5 to make the Ryder Jug team aka the holy grail :pac:

Boskowski wrote: »
    From the sound of it this seems great fun and I'd love to meet you folks, too. So I'm thinking of joining.
    You wouldnt have to play all events, would you?

It is great fun in all fairness. Always great comradeship, banter, golf and fun. You would be most welcome to pop along to any event. You can tag along as a visitor if there is space available or you can pay an annual sub and become a member to compete for the main prizes. If you qualify in the top ten players for the year you can make the Ryder Jug Team (but you must play 5 events, it's 5 best scores to count) and to win the captains you must have played 3 games.
    Great selection of courses ,would realy like to get on a few outings , just a pity all are on a Saturday .

We only play Saturdays. Did look at Sundays, but Saturday seems to suit most. I would prefer Sundays also as Saturday is the main day in my own club, but trust me, it's well worth getting along to even a couple.

For anyone who wants to join up, drop me a PM with the following
    Real Name
    Email
    Phone Number
    Handicap
    Club

If you are not in a club or dont have a handicap, don't let that put you off, we will sort you out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

You had me at dubs v the rest....I never pass up a chance to beat the dubs (we don't get chance too often in gaa)

Once again great selection of courses and locations. Looking forward to another great year with all the boys ( and princess) and more mighty craic and golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

What's this Ryder cup thing about PLEASE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Fair play for taking on the role and getting the courses organised so early - hoping to make a few more outings this year and make a run at the team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not making any commitments for 2016 at this stage . :D
    Here we go :rolleyes:

But class bunch of outings with many courses that would be on many peoples' and my own must play list.

On the thoughts - ( I guess you are looking for feedback). I hope :p:D

Great idea for Captain's day even if a big trip for the munster family.

The tee times that far from Galway City will be key - the logistics of getting back to hotel and getting settled got us all out a bit late in Cork. It still was a blast - but we all agreed on this.

None of this is meant to offend anyone. Everyone has done an amazing job and must congratulate all involved for looking for feedback - this sense of continuous improvement , whilst has an end point - it has been key to the success.

On the prizes, 3 prov 1s is a class prize or a GUI voucher - as at this stage we are all golfers and into our own gear - we are not a normal society in that sense.

Many of the courses listed are of modern design and picking the right tee is key - this is a joke here , but all captains have been big hitters and are mad for back tees. (lol) - some of the most enjoyable days were more traditional courses from forward tees. These are cheaper (but I am a fan of the big places as it is an all day trip )

I thinks the guidelines on pace of play were very good this year - issue these prior to first outing.

The targeting of 3 balls was very good too

The links was a great move in 2015 - maybe 2 in 2016. Great geographical spread - we still need Ulster at some stage - maybe Concra will have to come in at some stage - but there is not that many from up north involved.

Encourage additional female participation. Was a breath of fresh air in 2015.

The people who make jug team need to be rewarded - to make team is very very hard - takes massive commitment to many outings at their own expense.

There is practice involved - food - driving and then they get to pay near full rate at a top course.

Even if 20 euro toward their green fee , I think it is a fair recognition - this is just an idea that came to me , I still loved doing it , even if a bit mentally scared.

Seve and committee had too much on their hands.

Post event - the scoring should be into a spreadsheet and roles assigned prior to event - mistakes on cards at our level needs to be gone this year. All had a role in this.

If that first event could have a social aspect it would be good, getting to know people a little better will improve society.

But overall 9/10 - don't change a winning formula too much.

For those who are interested, it's worth having a look at the rules thread which gives all the information about the society that you need to know

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057510992

Seve OB wrote: »
    For those who are interested, it's worth having a look at the rules thread which gives all the information about the society that you need to know

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057510992

Captain is wrong :D

Unless it ends on 31/dec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

D'ont want to sound like fixit but i was hoping to become a fulltime member of course next year so was expecting to break my 100% boards attendance record next year(on financial grounds). But looking at that list it looks like i will have to make another visit to the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Particularly looking forward to giving your home course another go. Like Poppy have played Headfort New a good few times and it's a top track

I didn't know headford was El Capitan's home course. Still I suppose it is never too early to start grovelling 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ballyk

Particularly looking forward to giving your home course another go. Like Poppy have played Headfort New a good few times and it's a top track

I didn't know headford was El Capitan's home course. Still I suppose it is never too early to start grovelling 😇

Portmarnock Links is his home course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Will try my best to be at dubs vs non dubs.

Best of luck for your captains year golfgraffix. I'm sure you're going to enjoy every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Hi j. I am a member of galway bay and if you need anything re the club or info for staying in galway places to eat drink etc give me I shout. I have played with ye all but under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

shaunac93 wrote: »
    You had me at dubs v the rest....I never pass up a chance to beat the dubs (we don't get chance too often in gaa)

Don't get your hopes up to much! :D

Super courses again! can't wait. Dubs vs The rest is a great idea & something different than your usual scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Great list of courses. Delighted to see Galway Bay for captains prize, one of my favourites.
    They're a bit of a spin from the south west so probably won't make as many events as last year but I'll do my best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

They're a bit of a spin from the south west so probably won't make as many events as last year but I'll do my best.

I may add Tralee for November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am looking forward to Bunclody the most, I was working for Jeff Howes Golf Design back when it was being built so spent a lot of time there. It is such a good course, 5 great finishing holes

J

do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've only recently come across this thread. What does the standard be like at these outings?

I used to play a fair bit but haven't swung a club in anger the last few years.

It certainly sounds like there's a bit of craic in the society anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've only recently come across this thread. What does the standard be like at these outings?

I used to play a fair bit but haven't swung a club in anger the last few years.

It certainly sounds like there's a bit of craic in the society anyway.

We range from low handicappers to high, everyone welcome. One thing you need to be mad about golf

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Can't do better than that. You'd have to block book the day to fit everyone on the timesheet

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I didn't think you could surpass SeveOB's course list from this year, it's damn close ;) a fantastic selection of courses, about half I've already played and loved, and I think all the others are on my to play list, roll on 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Are you joking about the Dubs V's Non Dubs?

Surely Non Dubs would be so badly beaten that they wouldn't want to show up for the rest of the season :D

RoadRunner wrote: »

Surely Non Dubs would be so badly beaten that they wouldn't want to show up for the rest of the season :D

A good idea - off the top of my head , you would be at the limits to make up a full Dub team - you would, but would be tight.

As 1/2 the people who live and love Dublin are not from it.

I can think of 9 I know that thanked first post.

Are you thinking like last year a scramble for 4 ball J ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

RoadRunner wrote: »

Challenge - Accepted

Advertisement