Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 2.5)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

So got out for 14 today, at times it was horrible squally showers and a hard cross wind, then a sudden burst of calmness at times. I was 6 over for first 7 (had a lost ball) – but level for the next 7. So a run of decent golf with not even a hint of a shank. I hit one bad drive and one bad 5 iron, but besides that, there were signs of a game coming back. Last hole 170 yards into a cross wind, I hit a perfect 6 iron to 20 feet and holed it – played that hole, in conditions, about as well as I can or ever will play golf.

Two more rounds and my game should be there.

This post marks a daft post – 10,000 posts on boards and 99 % were total rubbish. It has been fun, but an awful waste of time and effort (lol). I have met some terrific people and had incredible golfing experiences as a result.
    If I had taken a putt, for every one of those posts, what would my handicap be now?

I’ve enjoyed the last few years on here. I learnt so much about a game I knew very little about really. I loved golf, but was very inexperienced. You realise how important experience in golf is, when you have a bit of it. The great thing about golf is how you can almost always improve once the body holds up. Even if the body fails, you can be clever with your game too.

During the week I watched a bit of J.B Carr (over 60 interclub), I genuinely found it inspiring, guys over 60 still having fun, but being competitive. It reminded me what the game is about, friendship, fun and exercise. Chasing scores and targets in golf can be somewhat perfunctory.

If you play golf, just to improve all the time, it sort of misses the point. I guarantee that, the men of 60 + were not turning to each other going, do you remember the time that you were off 9, or do you remember the time you had a 78.

I was listening and talking to them, they were talking about life, getting away with the lads, having a few pints after, the wisdoms that young people need about the world and the insignificance of some of the concerns that you have, become all too apparent.

The flag at the clubhouse was once again at half-mast today.

So this will definitely be the last golf project I take on – I’ve done enough, said enough, practiced enough, tried enough, written enough, thought enough, doubted enough, achieved enough (after this target).

At times during the last few years, I realised that my ability in this game was very limited, the amount of effort I had to put in was way too much and time consuming. I enjoyed the challenge and it was nice when easy progress was there to be made.

But you get to a point – when you see that you are very very close or at your limits.

At times in the various projects to improve, I was wondering why I was pushing it so far, I realised I was trying to prove something to someone, but in reality, there is no someone – it is just your inner self.

Now – there is not a chance in hell I am throwing the towel in – I have 5 months, I accept I am speaking the language of weakness, this in reality can be the start of a downfall in golf.

But, acceptance and being happy with your game is a point in time that with the dreaded experience, you realise is a beautiful and delicate moment.
    So, I’ve clearly had time to reflect lately about it all – you sort of realise that once you have made yourself happy with your game, that is it, that is the real secret to enjoy this incredibly brilliant sport. A game for life, a game that gives you your little space on the earth, when you can be with friends or get away from it all.

When the flag is at half mast, you don’t go, do you remember that 6 iron he hit into 18. You go, he was a great Dad, friend, he was good company, good fun, he loved his golf.

So for all the practice and chasing scores – it is the time by the ocean with close friends and a few pints after I will remember about this game. The seas, the sounds, the sights, the sun.

A number is just a number.

(10,000) :D:o

Well written post and everything but God you're not dying or anything!

To be honest what you wrote there is something I couldn't identify with in terms of golf really, I play to get better and I think the day I stop trying to get better is when I'd quit the game. Don't get me wrong I love playing with my friends and having a bit of craic on the course and I've made some great friends through golf but first and foremost the most thing I enjoy about golf is trying to get better at it and to constantly try to improve.

I often question whether I'll be motivated to play when I reach an age where I just realise that I'm not going to be able to improve any further. I suppose the chances are by the time I've reached that age my priorities will probably have changed a nice bit and I may play golf more for the social aspect than the competitive aspect like I do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good man Fix.

Enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

And only 5000 of them were look at me threads Fix:):):)

Here's to the next 10,000. Great reads.Keep it up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I love this game.

Out today in gale and rain. Played out of my skin and had my best round of year . Got up and down from everywhere and everything.

Back to 4.

Life in the old dog yet.

So things have not gone well the last month or so - The irony is I have been at my lowest handicap - but I just haven't being doing much right.

I just could put my finger on it. (or get a grip of it)

Ball striking was poor - short game poor - but my game will fall apart if my mid game is poor and it was - I just couldn't hit a mid to low iron well at all - it just all felt awful.

I was thinking of back to lessons - what is wrong - but at this point in the game you think you can work your own problems out ?

But tonight I found something - I know it was at the range, and a range find is only as good as your next score , but this was a serious find.

I have been under a bit of pressure in a few parts of real life outside of golf. I'm not sure if this was contributory - but.

On the range I did a sort of nct - what is it , suddenly I could feel how tense my grip was - it was actually painful. This tension was in arms - almost full upper body.

I remembered all the old tips about holding the grip like a tube of toothpaste - I'm not sure I ever believed them, I almost had them in the cupboard of the old pro tips (but must by truth in some of them)

Anyway - the next 30 balls , were a pleasure , that buttery feeling of a perfect iron - the ball speed and strike seemed effortless.

Now it could be the new golf idea placebo - the sort of swing idea that distracts you from your inner 22 swing thoughts.

So at end - did same for driver - perfect drives that looked much longer.

Then - I said ok - a draw around the 160 pole , a fade, a draw, a fade, :eek: (all perfect)

I was gifted with that feeling of perfect control and perfect strike and the ball on a string - it is a short time in this game you get that - was an incredible buzz.

It couldn't be just the grip - but if you find something go with it.
    :p

• Advertisement

So after the terror, pain and laughs of two months of shanks and snap hooks, over the top swings – something happened between the dreams and the nightmares.

Well, very worryingly – for a while and justifiably, I sort of gave up. I went ok, you have had an amazing run – won many times in the last 18 months – had an under par “practice round” - had a few on the edge of level and had eagles, a hole in one, and an amazing time.

But – when you think like that it is a slippery slope. In fairness – I know I’m near the very very limits now – I just don’t have a consistent action, swing, or approach to the game to be a very low player – I have determination, time and effort – but , sadly, that only gets you so far. When you see real low players – they have something else. It is hard to define that in a generality – so the word is “class” – when we lack measurable parameters, we have simple words that define sport, skill and life.

And – By limits what do I mean ? – when, I entered this thread and formal handicapped golf about 3 years ago – I was told by a friend on here (is possible to have a friend on here (lol)) – that I was extraordinarily naïve about the handicap system. I found that very cynical and saddened me a bit. People go on about your prize being your handicap – I hate that concept.

When I was younger – it was about winning, winning everything you could. It sort of is something that is me – I’ve let that go a little and see the joy in playing the game for fun. But we all know that cynical friend of mine has a point – sadly there is such a thing as a “ good 14”, “a good 16”, “ a good 4”.
    This sadly was confirmed to me the other day, when I had the pleasure of playing with a man in his 80s off 14. Terrific golfer. All his distance gone by age and sickness, but a determination to be the lowest golfer he will be for every day of his life. It was a privilege to play with him.

I asked him about the game – he said “golf is ****ed” – “Why Paul ? “ . “Well golf was about me and you coming down here and competing equally and a man of my age could play with a young man like you and enjoy playing with a low player on an equal footing. I said what do you mean – “ the prizes are too big” , some people see picking up winnings is what the game is about. “Jaysus Paul I said – that is a bit sad” – “ well see that ****er there “ – “ yes (Had walked in , in bad weather)” . “ He had 12 points after 4 holes – and can hit the ball 270 yards and is off 21” – he picks big events, wins them and it is all a joke.

It saddened me a bit – why would a man that age care anyway , he reminded me of myself to be honest – But for me the handicap system has worked – I won lots, but know my days of winning are going to be few and far between now. Well - I don't know that for sure yet.

(sorry that was a massive digression)

Anyway ; What was I saying………
    Yes my game turned -I just started scoring – it wasn’t nice scoring, but it was scoring. Sort of embarrassing golf for a single figure player, no, not sort of embarrassing, was very – honestly could do anything on a course from nail a 5 iron to 6 feet to shank – top – mi**** – almost miss it (“****”). But was making loads of putts and getting up and down from hell, 4/5 times a round. I was even getting up and down from shanks :D - the shanks were great for my short game :p

Then about 2 weeks ago there was a turn. I sort of opened up everything, got a single swing idea of inside in my head – and bang, some of the best shots in ages. Now – too much inside is trouble too – but seems to be a better place for me. With the air heating up and course firming up – the ball is genuinely going miles ( I mean 300 yards with run etc – a couple out to 320:eek:), People say distance means nothing - but the amount of birds I’m getting has doubled. The confidence a few birds gives to a round is amazing – this game can turn on that. Eagle puts coming up way more – two days in a row missed by an inch – tap in birds are easy and fun.

But that was not just it – I started making putts – too, lots of them – from about 10 feet to 3. My weak area. Just started concentrating way way more on hole and forgot about bloody path and arms and face angle and big breaks that are not there. The hole high side or low side bang.

And I’m still having horror shots – embarrassing, terrible stuff. Still can’t play from 90 to 30 yards. But in the 70s all the time now and 75 or less more often.
    And the cuts are coming – now off 3.9 without having a great round – good scoring and that, but not a great rounds.

I have to say there is something satisfying about that figure – I’m 1.5 away from target – far way to go at the teriible rate of 0.1s , but feel something big is on the way. (under par round or something) . I may not look “class” – but that would be class for me.

"a bad 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Nice post Fixde, if you said to me, you won't win another prize for the next 5 yrs but I'd get down to 5. I'd take the right arm off you. Unfortunately not everyone wants their HC to go down.
    Another thing that creeps up in your posts is the look of the swing. You like this, the science of the modern golf is now saying it's all about impact. We'd all like to swing the club like Adam Scott but fortunately we are all different. Your scoring well and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you hit 18 GIR or got up and down 18/18. No pictures on the scorecard. Keep it going.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Nice post Fixde, if you said to me, you won't win another prize for the next 5 yrs but I'd get down to 5. I'd take the right arm off you. Unfortunately not everyone wants their HC to go down.
    Another thing that creeps up in your posts is the look of the swing. You like this, the science of the modern golf is now saying it's all about impact. We'd all like to swing the club like Adam Scott but fortunately we are all different. Your scoring well and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you hit 18 GIR or got up and down 18/18. No pictures on the scorecard. Keep it going.

Thanks Ben,
    I am cognisant of that - but,,,,,,,,,,,

Of course I know I'm never going to be a classical golfer - but behind that , we need to understand what causes our very very bad shots. If you have a very disconnected swing that is inconsistent - you are never going to be a low player.
    Yes live with your swing , but understand what causes the real bad one that causes a 7/8.

Being low is about being consistent too - I'm generally scoring low by overpowering a course, playing well on certain courses in a certain way. Yes it will get you a low handicap - but this is nearly a debate for a full thread.

I think you can get to a low handicap in a certain way - ( I know that is a little perhaps controversial).

But - I think there are different types of low players. Maybe one for a pint to talk over.

Hard to explain.

Like on here - people go on and on about short game and putting - I think that is a total lack of understanding of certain types of games and the importance of the long and mid game for some. If you hit GIRs - you don't need a short game at all.

Another days debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Like on here - people go on and on about short game and putting - I think that is a total lack of understanding of certain types of games and the importance of the long and mid game for some. If you hit GIRs - you don't need a short game at all.

Another days debate.

100% agree with this. Started tracking my shots over the last five or six rounds and was shocked by the correlation between solid driving and good scores for me. My chipping has been quite good and i'll get up and down (or take two putts) almost all the time from around the green but found that days where I was missing off the tee it was impossible for me to get around in anything other than to my handicap. Played yesterday from the back tees in my club and was spraying the driver for the first 11 holes and made bogey on each all the way round. Last 7 I was able to turn the driver on and just by virtue of hitting solid drives suddenly went on a run of pars and finished off 12 over. Went out this morning and played nine but hit every fairway with good distance and was one over because I hit 6 greens in reg. For me when I look thru the notebook at the shots i've hit it's clear that the long and mid games are they keys for me to score well rather than chipping and putting

Thanks Ben,
    I am cognisant of that - but,,,,,,,,,,,

Of course I know I'm never going to be a classical golfer - but behind that , we need to understand what causes our very very bad shots. If you have a very disconnected swing that is inconsistent - you are never going to be a low player.
    Yes live with your swing , but understand what causes the real bad one that causes a 7/8.

Being low is about being consistent too - I'm generally scoring low by overpowering a course, playing well on certain courses in a certain way. Yes it will get you a low handicap - but this is nearly a debate for a full thread.

I think you can get to a low handicap in a certain way - ( I know that is a little perhaps controversial).

But - I think there are different types of low players. Maybe one for a pint to talk over.

Hard to explain.

Another days debate.

Agree totally with you on the consistency and overpowering courses. Your right there are many low guys but the ones that get down and stay down have a better consistency in all areas, swing tempo, short game, those horrible middle shots. It does look very easy to them.

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    100% agree with this. Started tracking my shots over the last five or six rounds and was shocked by the correlation between solid driving and good scores for me. My chipping has been quite good and i'll get up and down (or take two putts) almost all the time from around the green but found that days where I was missing off the tee it was impossible for me to get around in anything other than to my handicap. Played yesterday from the back tees in my club and was spraying the driver for the first 11 holes and made bogey on each all the way round. Last 7 I was able to turn the driver on and just by virtue of hitting solid drives suddenly went on a run of pars and finished off 12 over. Went out this morning and played nine but hit every fairway with good distance and was one over because I hit 6 greens in reg. For me when I look thru the notebook at the shots i've hit it's clear that the long and mid games are they keys for me to score well rather than chipping and putting

I got down to 8 , with no short game or putting - All long game. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

There are numerous ways to look at this. I started off golf with a handicap of 10 because of my Pitch n Putt skills. I could play to this as well with absolutely no long game. Biggest club I could hit off the tee was a 5 wood but got a lot of pars by getting up and down. I had visions of improving the long game and getting much lower but I found it's not as easy as it sounds.

Stunning evening with a strong breeze – feeling a bit wrecked with too much work lately. An unusual complaint.

When I started out on these “projects”. I got a great tip from Space here – I was looking at a round in total, almost from the 2nd – 3rd hole. The tip was to break down the round into parts – be it 3 holes – 6 holes. Whatever.

So a target for me is always – after 6 holes if I am 1 over I am going well – 2 over recoverable – level great going – under …………..well, we can all lose the run of ourselves.

I realised that I haven’t mentally pushed on – it is a brave golfer – ok, a good golfer that thinks that under par should ever be part of his round or mentality – most guys when under panic, fall apart and think about the European tour (lol).

But it is summer out there – the turf is hard, suits my angle of attack, the driver is going miles, if you don’t take on under par now – you never will in this game.

So I knew it was there today – wasn’t perfect, but getting up and down and striking the ball well. The greens are a little slow at present – the growth has been unreal and in the evening the growth can be sensed in a putt.

I had 5 makeable birdie puts and made 1. Not great, but slipped under par for the 9. I’ve done that a good few times before – but this was a little different, it was very easy and as bad a score as I could have had.

The 3 bad holes I had – 60 yards out – missed green, 90 yards out missed green, 100 yards out missed green – got up and down on them all. It really highlights how poor my wedges are.

It really is a little scary what sort of score would be on if I could hit wedges – I can obviously hit wedges, but just very inconsistent.

It is my own fault – well, a few things going on with club I use (bounce), tempo, angle of attack etc – but nothing honest practice wouldn’t sort.

So – what did I get out of it? I need harder targets – to get to 2.5 – you can’t fear under par. You can’t get over excited over birdie putts – Eagles putts should be part of your game. I’ve had about 5 eagle putts in last 3 weeks and made none.

You need to have a confidence, comfortableness and a sort of cockiness about it - which I never had. I’m not sure it is something I will ever have – but the more you do it, the more you feel ok the next time.

But – feck it, I should be proud of that golf in a strong wind I was under par for 9. 3 bad shots all round. 6 girs (3 others on edge), no bogeys. But I know there is 2 or 3 more shots there.

We always know there are easy shots there when we are amateurs – just trying our best. Not knowing what that best is. I wonder do you ever find out what your best is ?

I’m not even sure I want to know the answer to that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Glad to hear something I've said on here helped someone Fix (actually shocked to hear might be a better term)

The progression in your golf has been fantastic & well done for the effort. I wish I could apply myself in the same way...think I need a new job :(

Got myself to the range last Sunday & actually felt really productive. Thinking of your short range woes, I picked a target maybe about 60-70yards away & tried to hit at it in multiple different ways with different clubs (gap wedge, lob wedge, 7 iron, low fade, high draw, etc...) found it a really useful thing to practice as in theory it should make me think a bit more creatively around my short game & give me a few different options that I can tap into when on the course

Now, you just need to translate this form onto a parkland course & get yourself a bleedin boards win!

I normally have a dip of form after any breakthrough in handicap – making progress numerically for me, has far too big an impact on my motivation and subsequent confidence. I suppose I have been very lucky to always be going down in the last 3 years. So it is always a new achievement, a new low. It is a great complaint in a way.

But – I didn’t see the last month coming at all. How could you be at your lowest ever handicap and be playing your worst ever golf – well, worst in 5 years.
    It really is a perplexing game – each time I would restart a new round going, ok the last one was an aberration – was just a bad day, a once off, stay positive this will pass.

But – was incredible stuff – started with shanks, then putting went again, then was over the top, adjusting swing, plane, grip – and suddenly you are a mess. Had 3 rounds in a row in the low twenties Stableford. I genuinely got a bit depressed about it all. Ridiculous, as a game shouldn’t really have an impact on you as a person. Should it – I don’t know the true answer to that. It should be no. But I have seen rage on a golf course that is very hard to understand. Can this game actually bring you down, off the course, when it goes that wrong?

I’m hoping the answer to that is no. I actually was swinging so poor – I got an injury swinging a golf club. Mad stuff. I needed time out – away, but I had too many commitments with societies, club and charity events. I sort of decided to play it out and grind it out. I’m not sure this was the right thing – how can you take a break from golf in that weather – them conditions and so much good stuff on.

So about 10 rounds into this run – I stopped playing on a course - hit the range instead. About a week after I hit Corballis, I was thinking – If I hit a course that I felt comfortable on, hitting unusual clubs – it could reset the brain – it was desperate stuff. It didn’t work – lol. I lost 7 balls. I still loved the round. Note to self – never try find your game in Corballis. Too many good balls now in the outrageous long marram.

Behind all these problems – my swing felt very wrong – very restricted, a swing without width, without timing, with a slashing tempo, a lunging anger.
    Went a good few rounds were a par was a great score – you miss pars when they are gone. You miss birdies even more, and eagle putts are for the Gods and pros.

Not sure that stubbornness is anything to be proud of – But I suppose the one thing I did was stick it out. Not sure that was the right thing. In hindsight – it probably wasn’t. I got that advice from many people I respect and many people a lot wiser than me.

And then it happened………….

It has been truly stunning (as we know) the last few weeks. How could you seriously stop playing in that when you can? “Take a break” – take a melted Kik Kat at the bottom of your bag.

I was on the first heading for what was now my usual Bogey or double on an easy first hole.
    Things were incredibly slow out there, as the summer golfers hit the courses with their shorts – Sun cream – slow play and shanks. At least I felt comfortable (lol)

But I met up with an older gent I play a few holes with, late 70s – he has followed my progress and to be honest – one of these blokes you just feel great after they talk to you. Some of these guys have seen it all – played to very low handicaps – had great careers and full lives. The one thing that golf has shown me – is how we underestimate our elders.

He asked me how I was getting on – “terrible”.

“Couldn’t be true – you’re a total natural swinger”.

I smiled.

“No, it is bleeding terrible”.

“Show me”.

Next tee stood up.
    “Your whole body is pointing right”

So there you go.

I don’t know if it was the chat for the next holes – I’m a romantic, but this idea you meet an oracle on the course and life is happy ever after is outrageous.

Par – Par - Bogey – par – Bird – Bird.

Best striking in well over a month.

I finished – it was enough – don’t push your oracle luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

But I met up with an older gent I play a few holes with, late 70s – he has followed my progress and to be honest – one of these blokes you just feel great after they talk to you. Some of these guys have seen it all – played to very low handicaps – had great careers and full lives. The one thing that golf has shown me – is how we underestimate our elders.

Great post Fixde. I love meeting people like that and wouldn't it be a great goal to end up like that!

Well done on finding your mojo too!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I normally have a dip of form after any breakthrough in handicap – making progress numerically for me, has far too big an impact on my motivation and subsequent confidence. I suppose I have been very lucky to always be going down in the last 3 years. So it is always a new achievement, a new low. It is a great complaint in a way.

But – I didn’t see the last month coming at all. How could you be at your lowest ever handicap and be playing your worst ever golf – well, worst in 5 years.
    It really is a perplexing game – each time I would restart a new round going, ok the last one was an aberration – was just a bad day, a once off, stay positive this will pass.

But – was incredible stuff – started with shanks, then putting went again, then was over the top, adjusting swing, plane, grip – and suddenly you are a mess. Had 3 rounds in a row in the low twenties Stableford. I genuinely got a bit depressed about it all. Ridiculous, as a game shouldn’t really have an impact on you as a person. Should it – I don’t know the true answer to that. It should be no. But I have seen rage on a golf course that is very hard to understand. Can this game actually bring you down, off the course, when it goes that wrong?

I’m hoping the answer to that is no. I actually was swinging so poor – I got an injury swinging a golf club. Mad stuff. I needed time out – away, but I had too many commitments with societies, club and charity events. I sort of decided to play it out and grind it out. I’m not sure this was the right thing – how can you take a break from golf in that weather – them conditions and so much good stuff on.

So about 10 rounds into this run – I stopped playing on a course - hit the range instead. About a week after I hit Corballis, I was thinking – If I hit a course that I felt comfortable on, hitting unusual clubs – it could reset the brain – it was desperate stuff. It didn’t work – lol. I lost 7 balls. I still loved the round. Note to self – never try find your game in Corballis. Too many good balls now in the outrageous long marram.

Behind all these problems – my swing felt very wrong – very restricted, a swing without width, without timing, with a slashing tempo, a lunging anger.
    Went a good few rounds were a par was a great score – you miss pars when they are gone. You miss birdies even more, and eagle putts are for the Gods and pros.

Not sure that stubbornness is anything to be proud of – But I suppose the one thing I did was stick it out. Not sure that was the right thing. In hindsight – it probably wasn’t. I got that advice from many people I respect and many people a lot wiser than me.

And then it happened………….

It has been truly stunning (as we know) the last few weeks. How could you seriously stop playing in that when you can? “Take a break” – take a melted Kik Kat at the bottom of your bag.

I was on the first heading for what was now my usual Bogey or double on an easy first hole.
    Things were incredibly slow out there, as the summer golfers hit the courses with their shorts – Sun cream – slow play and shanks. At least I felt comfortable (lol)

He asked me how I was getting on – “terrible”.

“Couldn’t be true – you’re a total natural swinger”.

I smiled.

“No, it is bleeding terrible”.

“Show me”.

Next tee stood up.
    “Your whole body is pointing right”

So there you go.

I don’t know if it was the chat for the next holes – I’m a romantic, but this idea you meet an oracle on the course and life is happy ever after is outrageous.

Par – Par - Bogey – par – Bird – Bird.

Best striking in well over a month.

I finished – it was enough – don’t push your oracle luck.

No shanks then???:pac::D;)

Except when you quoted that post. Lol

Except when you quoted that post. Lol

Ah jees, sorry man:p

Had a decent break for me the last while.

Before the break the game was in very poor condition - with a solid hook / snap hook.

Haven't put my finger on why this had come in - only way out of the hook has been a slight delay in swing to let club get to a better position prior to strike. The body alignment also a factor.

Got out today for a full 18 and it is still poor all around - about 8/9 over for 18.
    It is poor, but - if you can believe that is a slight improvement. :eek:

Was out with a lad I play with about every 6 months at a charity event (friends 20 years) - he said he never seen me struggling so much for a par. :eek:

At that rate my handicap will be going up for a while yet.

I've been very busy - work - kids - holidays etc. I've neglected my game to be honest. But prior to that - I sort of lost my motivation , I was enjoying golf - but turning away from practice. It was a sort of catch 22 - when you are striking the ball poor - it is hard to watch yourself practice :D.

This week I said , ok, back to basics , back to the grind, lines of divots and damaged turf and swing and repeat and understand the cause of the flaws.

Get the short game work in - enjoy the putting green again.

It is simple improving in this game when you are honest with your inner mind and self.

So - I feel the motivation coming back , I know I am nowhere near my handicap or game , but slight turn the last few days - played 9 in 2 over the other day with back to back birds - that was a major sign of hope.

So 3 months to go - If I was a betting man I'd say I'm looking like Iceland V England at this point.

A chance to get to under 2.5 - but I'm looking in trouble at the moment.

A big day needed , a turn, a decent round even - an under par 9 maybe.

Today - I hit a perfect drive near 300 yards - almost holed the wedge - then a tap in bird , I wish I could find that golfer. :)

• Advertisement

Before the break the game was in very poor condition - with a solid hook / snap hook.

Haven't put my finger on why this had come in - only way out of the hook has been a slight delay in swing to let club get to a better position prior to strike. The body alignment also a factor.

Got out today for a full 18 and it is still poor all around - about 8/9 over for 18.

Was out with a lad I play with about every 6 months at a charity event (friends 20 years) - he said he never seen me struggling so much for a par. :eek:

I've been very busy - work - kids - holidays etc. I've neglected my game to be honest. But prior to that - I sort of lost my motivation , I was enjoying golf - but turning away from practice. It was a sort of catch 22 - when you are striking the ball poor - it is hard to watch yourself practice :D.

This week I said , ok, back to basics , back to the grind, lines of divots and damaged turf and swing and repeat and understand the cause of the flaws.

It is simple improving in this game when you are honest with your inner mind and self.

So - I feel the motivation coming back , I know I am nowhere near my handicap or game , but slight turn the last few days - played 9 in 2 over the other day with back to back birds - that was a major sign of hope.

So 3 months to go - If I was a betting man I'd say I'm looking like Iceland V England at this point.

Today - I hit a perfect drive near 300 yards - almost holed the wedge - then a tap in bird , I wish I could find that golfer. :)
    You can, be the ball;):pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Reminding of this article Fix

If It’s Not Fun, Why Play? – Practical Golf
    http://practical-golf.com/if-its-not-fun-why-play/?mc_cid=edcef58dae&mc_eid=ead8edc144

Hit Corballis today for 12 - wow , just wow, as you can imagine. Was a nice fast 12 ;) - to start, as was alone. But a bit slower as had pleasant company for the last nine.

You don't get days like that too often in Ireland. The gentle sea waft was welcome to cool the 30 degree heated Links surfaces. The rare mirage over that browning links surfaces, a sort of 80s Open look - it seemed appropriate the week that was in it.

Game still a strong pull and a lunging angry out of plane swing.

I just haven't found my swing in what is now - what, 4 months. This period has given me one thing. A gratefulness for good golf when it is there, you can wake up one day and it is gone.

A combination of stubbornness, time constraints and the vicissitudes of life, prevented me from taking any (real) action to resolve my game.

I tried , I tried hard. But it seems a physical change. I'm genuinely about an 8 or 9 handicap player at present.

So I started off today with the normal - pull , then another pull, then a bladed wedge. Terrible stuff.

On my 3rd hole - met a nice lad , you have the normal chat - what you off , his answer a little surprise "I'm trying out on Euro Pro Tour" :eek:

He asked me my handicap - I embarrassingly told him, followed with an almost confessional explanation of my game being in bits :D

I played the first hole with him with a massive pull - but halved the hole with a 70 foot 2 putt. I was in a match (in my own head) , you may as well in your own head when you play against a pro for the first time :D

On the 2nd we halved in bad bogeys - then onto the famous 3rd (it was a very strange sequence of holes due to a big crowd out there) , I won the 3rd with a par.
    And - I just couldn't believe how well I was playing. I'm not a big believer in raising your game to the situation - but this was one of the first times I had a real sense of that. I was getting up and down , holing 6 to 8 foot putts , hitting good tee shots.

We had a great game - and I ended up winning 3 up - in my own game in my own mind (lol)

I know it means nothing in the full scale of things - but I got around that 9 holes in level par. It is the best I have played in months.

I know I'm not fixed - but at least I could fight again.

Today - was a day that had everything. A great course, a chance meeting, great golf, incredible weather, great memories - the days we need in our slumps to keep us going. The reason we love this bloody game.

Was away on holidays and had a considerable break from golf again. I was hoping when I came back that by some form of magic, my game would be back. My oh My. I played my first 15 holes back, in 18 over par. Next day 6 holes in 9 over par and today 6 holes in 7 over par. Crazy stuff.

This is an incredible fall in form in say 4 months. Mainly a snap hook – pull – lost ball.

Then to add to that – when I don’t practice my short game and putting, it falls off very fast.

So I walked straight off the course and arranged a lesson. Ridiculous that I let it go that long. I just had too much on and summer is not a great time for me golf wise (family, work etc.). The lesson was excellent – was more like therapy, I had chopped and changed so much from the time I got the shanks – there really was very little left of what was my swing. I wish I had just gone to someone sooner. I made the mistake of listening to every person that said something – some was good info, but too much info, is like that mistake we can make of watching too many You Tube golf tips.

Using video footage – I could see that there were plenty of good things there – but minor stuff like a weak stability and core over the ball was cause me to lunge. A couple of simple swing thoughts later I was hitting the ball very well. But – we all know there can be a lesson placebo.

On the way home from range I had a chat with myself, why had all this happened.

In the last few years, I went about this project in reverse in a way (long game before short) – At the start I worked hard on my swing, I hit an incredible amount of balls and it made me a good driver of the ball and iron player. This got me to a point – but eventually I hit a wall – I realised I was just going to the range as a habit to kill balls, in fact, I was even getting injuries from it. At that point, I totally rejected the range, I worked on short game, on course practice and my handicap just tumbled down.

But – still talking to myself on the way home – I realised, like with most things with me, I didn’t have balance in my practice. It was all long or short – it strangely enough worked for me at times, but it means it is from one crisis to the next, long problem, short problem, long problem, short problem.

But – sure that is the reality for most of us on here – it is only a hobby – a game, we only have so much time. In reality we are always picking a part of our game to work on to the detriment of the other part. You can look at any part of the game and that will happen – bunker play – putting – wedge play etc. If you neglect it – it finds you on the course.

Some people are very lucky in life – or in parts of life. These things are a little easier. They can walk away from a sport, a game, a skill and it is just there. Sadly for us mere mortals – this is not the case.

Looking along the range – a thing I hadn’t done in a long time. You could see the frustrations of all the different ages. Girls and Boys beginning, children and Dads frustrated with each other, older gents hitting the ball fantastic. Pros giving lessons about the same basics again and again and again. The grip, the stance, the ball position.

As I was leaving a guy approached me and said – you are hitting the ball fantastic, would you mind having a look at something – I laughed to myself. If only he knew the reality.

I always wanted to be that crazy old bloke giving the tips at a range – I am at serious risk of failing to meet my target now, but at least I can be that crazy range bloke now.

18 over for 15 holes – Lol.
    Range guru. :D

I was never a big believer in that your state of mind plays any part in your golf game. After much advice from people on Boards here – I opened my mind and looked into a few elements of the game, like Bob Rotella - very soon after, I had my best ever rounds and broke the tough barrier of under the 5 handicap.

I’ll never forget those days – sure, they are still fresh in my mind as only in the last 12 months of this project. When I would make a big move in the game – I would call up to my Dad’s and tell him about the round. He was the man who first gave me the love of this amazing game. He showed me the great sights you get to see along the coast, when you fully embrace that golf is not just a game. It is “Heaven on earth” – as he would advise me. How right he was, how right he still is.

My Dad had a long term illness the last 10 years, he couldn’t play golf – but still loved talking about it. He was the one, who told me that I could do anything if you try hard enough in life. He wasn’t a conventional club golfer, he was from a time when, work golf societies started to form and break down the strange class based system of golf in Ireland.

We had an amazing life together, we were best friends, interested in the same things - sport, golf, music, science and the arts. Even if I didn’t have a mind as beautiful as his – I was still fascinated by his range of skills – not to mention, him being a fantastic role model, father, grandfather, husband and man.

Over the last 3 months as there were signs he was on the final journey – my own golf game fell apart. We were spending increasing time (as a family) up to 24 hours a day towards the end, being with him on them last precious, sad and at times fun days. We sang songs, read poetry, told stories and said the things that needed to be said. As a family and as a friend we have no regrets. Not all are so lucky in life.

When you have a great relationship with a father – we idolise them. We think that they are the best in the world. I can only hope my children and I, have anything near what my Dad had with his.

At one point, I was up in the hospital – my Dad turned to me and said, please go out and practice and play 9 holes. I went down to the course and in pure anger, hit the ball as hard as I had all season, drive and 9 iron over the back of a par 5.

So after a crazy few weeks – it is over. My life will never be the same again – but I’m so grateful for every day I had him. We had amazing days In Deer Park and on the tougher journey out to Corballis – all without a car and using at the time, very slow public transport and I remember waking and walking and walking. But it made the pint for him and the Coke for me all the more pleasurable.

So today – I had to hit a course on our coast. A coast we spent so much time together – playing golf or on the beach or at an Irish Open. Dreaming about a life past the realities of houses and factories.

I hit Corballis and I am so thankful I did.

It was perfect and I had it to myself and his memory, in perfect links conditions with dream like views across Howth Head and Lambay Island.

I played well enough in a 2 club wind. Front nine 6 over, back nine 1 over. But it wasn’t about the score – it was about what that coast meant to me and him and our friendship.

I know it is a long way from what the target for this project was – but it is a level of golf I dreamed of when I was not even in a club and just had this idea in my head I would like to test myself at golf. My Dad always told me I could do it. And he was so proud of what I had done to get to single figures.

When your mentor, friend and encourager is gone in life – it is a scary place.
    But – I hope the template he gave, holds in me and I can now live up to it and pass on as he did.

“Heaven on earth”.

2qwk3me.jpg

2rrwd2b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Lovely words Fix, thoughts are with you and your family at this tough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Beautiful post Fix, thoughts are with you.

Beautiful words fix and sorry for your loss, my father passed on the 1st of September 12 months ago and after reading your piece I'm reminded of how lucky you are to have such an influential figure in your life, he'll live on in you, take care buddy.

Thanks Fixde for the lovely post. Sorry to hear about your Dads passing. It always came across in your posts how much you admired your Dad. Thoughts are with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I always knew my parents loved me but not how much until I held my first child in my hands nearly 6 years back now. I became aware of how they must have felt for me when I held my son. It blew me away, humbled me, moved me beyond what I thought was possible.

My thoughts with you and your family at this time. You are very lucky to have a great relationship with your father as not all have that. You have a treasure trove of great memories which can never be taken away.

Advertisement