Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 2.5)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

This has been posted before but it's one of the best reads I've seen on improving.....especially if you're in that place where a green hit is a bad shot !
    http://www.golfwrx.com/82327/golfers-have-ridiculous-expectations/

This one is good too.....
    http://montescheinblum.com/blog/2015/03/31/a-huge-reason-golfers-dont-get-better/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure my Ryder Jug captain will be happy with this. :D

But went for a lesson today.

First one in about 6 months. In that time - I've played my best golf.

But my plan was to stay clear from that stuff till season over. I don't think the changes will be as dramatic this time around. I hope :) .

People might go , your nuts - but as I said earlier - my swing is still poor, technically. You are never ready to ever see your swing on camera - and "jaysus" when you do see it - all your fake internal images of a swings like Luke Donald and Kaymer go out the window. :)
    Terrible stuff - all arms , very poor shoulder turn and horrible steep.

Got into an interesting discussion about why I swing like that - is it a flexibility issue , this will have to be investigated in the winter.
    As a result, ball is low and left , or OTT - very limited ball flight.

So what! - the score is all that counts isn't it - isn't it ?

Well - the problem with flaws that you are managing or adjusting clubface to correct is - they get you under pressure, they get you in a medal , they get you on a new surface, they get you in the end.

I guess - I have a natural curiosity in me , of how good a golfer I can be. Within reason.
    I know I can work on things way quicker now, I'm starting from good posture - perfect grip - ok width on the way back, good speed and good hands, good ball position. Lots of good stuff there.

So - not doing anything big now - but just wanted to do today, to have a start of a plan.
    I want to do a root and branch review of everything - put all in the mix and see what I will be able to do and what is of most value.

I have a contact for short game now too. Paddy Devine Royal Dublin - perfect for me and on real greens, I like.

People have also said - go out and just do the short game yourself - but from my own observations , and from something John Kelly said to me a few years ago ( I hardly believed him at the time) - if you have a flaw in your swing or path, it can catch you out in even your chipping and putting. :eek:

I seem to get more out of someone saying something to me about the game, than I can come up with myself , I normally go out to a short game area - get better , but then doubt my angle of attack , path , using bounce , shaft angles , grip - even someone with credibility going "cop on", "do this", "you can do it", works for me.

I guess even pros at the highest level need that - so a lad struggling off singles certainly needs it, I guess.

After all that - it was a stunning day on the East coast - with a wild wind. Went out and played 9, 3 over. Played well to score that in the conditions.

Everything in the mix again - some great shots - some very poor - some great up and downs and a few 6 footers missed.

Still enjoyed every second of the day. Nice to have another target

Back to real work for a week.

Will update in a few weeks.

Was a strange time to start a challenge like this. Getting darker and colder and time and light are diminishing by the day.

But in reality, it is a year long challenge. I like that the challenge is difficult now, at this time - the course is changing - the temperature is changing - the clubs are changing (PW 115 yards today).

I made a big mistake last time out, of not controlling the pace of change - this time around - I'm more ready.

Have had much on in relation, to real work.
    House work,
    Golf Stuff,
    Family Stuff,
    Sport Stuff (Rugby and Football).

All a bit crazy and not sure how I am fitting it all in.

But - I'm enjoying it.

The weather we have had for the last few weeks has been amazing, Just getting out and playing say 6 in the hour I've had - has been a joy.

I can't believe I'm loving this game so much - still , when do you hit that wall - I'm not looking forward to that. The one positive of my golfing journey so far has been the enjoyment.

The people
    The places
    The opportunities
    The courses
    The days
    The nights
    The memories

I was also thinking about all that golfing goals we see here that seem to fade away.

I was also thinking about the flaws of my rotation and swing plane - the inconsistency of my ball striking , the weakness of my short stuff.

The 9 holes I have played - I'm just stuck - 2 to 3 over , lots of GIR , poor driving - not making much on greens (but pole forked).

But - I hit a 3 wood today 245 yards - that there is not a chance I could of dreamed of hitting 2 years ago.

If only we could replicate that feeling on demand. For some strange reason you have these moments , you see the shot , you have a plan , it hits the middle , the power is not forced.

This game is still a mystery - it is the dream that you will some day get that the secret to unravel that mystery - that drives us all on.

Next year is a leap year - I've one extra day.

But - for the moment , I'm enjoying the weather , the reality that it is just a game. But just so bloody enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

Searching for the perfect swing the Holy Grail
    What is the perfect swing what some pro tells you at the range,
    So many different swing types on tour,
    Rory so called perfect swing
    Bubba cant teach that swing
    Jim Furyk what the Furyk
    But it all works,
    If you have the talent and put the work in you will reach your goal but never have the Perfect Swing

Well that is the most frustrating round I've had in a long long time.
    79 (8 over).

FIR 72%
    GIR 56 %
    Putts 31 (1 3 putt)

1 month ago - I had my lowest handicap - my first hole in one and couldn't miss a putt and was winning stuff.

1 month later - I've lost my driver - my handicap is going up and I can't hole anything or win anything.

But that is the problem with me and my game - the ups are too up and the downs are too down.

Was listening to Rotella in the car the other day , he was talking about creating a more moderate reaction to performance. This is a serious weakness in me. But your personality has to play some part in it too ?

But it is horrendously frustrating when on a day like today I had - a birdie putt on 1,2,3, 4, 5, 6 ,8 ,11,13,14,15,17,18

I made zero - no Birde in 13 efforts.

Of these 6 were good chance - 2 gilt-edged.

Of these most were on edge, but not exactly hitting cup.

Now - greens are almost recovered from pole forking are a bit too slow, it is nearly winter conditions - but still , very very very annoying.

But the positives - Not sure I will hit the ball much better - two bad holes were just irons that I creamed and got in bad trouble.

I do know my wedges are miles better than last year , but hit the odd thin one and they can improve much much more again, that would make some of the above birdie putts closer.

My 3 wood and Hybrid is a total new dimension to my game and - it is nice to have clubs in the 230 to 260 range that I never had, I have managed to flatten these clubs at impact and I'm loving this new part of the game.

It has been a lovely end of season (except greens) - still to gentle conditions the course is playing easy for the time of year.

It is a long process I have committed to and winter work is on the way.

I just know somewhere there is a day like today , where I will score a hatful of brides.

But, more work needed on game and mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well thats golf for you. A friend of mine says no matter how well you play remember you only have a lend of it.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well thats golf for you. A friend of mine says no matter how well you play remember you only have a lend of it.

I'm beginning to think there is some weird truth in that.
    I mean, I've gone around in 2 to 5 over playing way way worse .

So you got to just ride out storms like this.

I guess If I was banging ball all over course it would be far more worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thats another thing. I remember playing what felt like I could hardly hit a half decent shot but strung together one par after another. Somehow I got it there. Then I had days where it felt like I hit it fantastic (by my standards) and went home with 28 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

79 Fix!

There was a time when that was your raison d'etre and shooting it was a cause for celebration :)

Smile and move on for tomorrow will always be better :)

79 Fix!

There was a time when that was your raison d'etre and shooting it was a cause for celebration :)

Smile and move on for tomorrow will always be better :)

Agree The Big - exact idea went into my head around the 13th - Obvioulsy breaking 80 means nothing to me now , so a good sign.

Two of us thinking exactly the same again, like the time we were thinking it would be good to play golf night before Boards Outing, get a bus to Malahide , stay up 1/2 the night , and play Boards Outing next day - great minds ................................... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Agree The Big - exact idea went into my head around the 13th - Obvioulsy breaking 80 means nothing to me now , so a good sign.

Two of us thinking exactly the same again, like the time we were thinking it would be good to play golf night before Boards Outing, get a bus to Malahide , stay up 1/2 the night , and play Boards Outing next day - great minds ................................... :p

Haha, nealry ended up in Cavan that night.

Have to detach from outcomes, that's the secret. At least according to Deepak. Just read Golf for Enlightenment. Interesting but may be a step too far for some. Going through my spiritual phase at the moment so I was in the right place for it :)

Just a friendly reminder to watch out for injury. Last thing I was expecting but 8 days without holding a golf club for me and looking like at least another 8 :(

Was sure I was too young for tendonitis but it must be creeping up on me :p

Another good reminder to keep the attitude in check is to be thankful you're are able to play at all no matter how bad :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It'll come right Fix, you definitely have the game for it.

BTW where did you get the Rotella audio book to listen to in the car? I really need to get my hands on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Well that is the most frustrating round I've had in a long long time.
    79 (8 over).

FIR 72%
    GIR 56 %
    Putts 31 (1 3 putt)

Interesting stats Fixed! My last 3 rounds in comparison for someone at a similar level

Round 1 (78 - 7 over)
    FIR 46%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 34

Round 2 (77 - 6 over)
    FIR 46%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 36

Round 3 (78 - 7 over)
    FIR 46%
    GIR 72%
    Putts 35

Whilst my fairways hit is low, its obviously not the issue as I'm still in a position to hit greens. I'm just not making enough putts, be they for birdie or an up and down par.

I know what I'll be working on over the winter.

Best of luck with your challenge. As I said earlier in the thread I will be keeping a keen eye on your progress.

Will send on to you Charlie.

I wouldn't be a big reader . Sounds a bit too intellectual for me the big. Was thinking of 2pak when you posted that, Internet is amazing.

Did read books charlie, but car idea a good one. Maybe on a trip to a golf outing.

They do work. But can be a short buzz of energy just after a read / listen.

There is a reality that you tend to drift back to yourself or natural state.

:)

What a mental week of golf – I am fully committed to the fact the thread will be calmer this time and will be taking a break for a few weeks with kids off etc, no harm an odd break, even if I love the ups and downs of the challenge.

So have been squeezing in as much as possible over the last week, firstly coming up to the jug. But also you can see late afternoon golf is going, going, gone.

I wanted to end season having a true feel of where my golf is, so have been recording stats too for a change. I guess your golf is where your handicap is – isn’t it? Well it is, but I’m in a period of a new low handicap and that is always a big transition for many golfers.

3 hours came free today, looked out and said, is cold, but would love to get a round in to get yesterday out of my system.

The day started on another major positive, with Boss Hole in One watch arriving- daughter wants to keep it :). Got to listen to Rottella again and got great support on here for what is ahead.

Got to the course – only 7 people in sight, very end of ladies day – had 2 hr 30 m to sunset and set off with the intention to record stats and play as many holes as fast as possible, without impacting on score. It has been covered here also the risk with stats , particularly putting – when a missed GIR can leave you a very easy 1 putt on the way – this is a particular feature of links courses were a pin can be next to an apron, that is as good as a putting surface.

The great thing about playing half decent golf, is how much faster it can be – Drive – green – putt (with me 2nd putt) – but got 6th hole finished in 45 mins. Mental, but very enjoyable and actually a bit of a work out. You are going at such speed, you don’t have time to overthink, the hole, your swing, the hazards – you go into a zone. It is metronomic.

The greens again had been heavily sanded, so not a day to be even thinking about putting – funny enough, the sand keeps the ball straighter, but very hard to judge pace. I got some great lines from the laddies’ day marks earlier in the day.

I would have loved to have had perfect greens today – because again, basically hitting the ball as well as I think I will ever hit it. Hitting GIR (or just off green) seemed just easy, was cold and a noticeable distance of a club loss on most shots – 2 clubs lost into the wind. There is still a mental battle to hit a 6 iron when you were hitting an 8 to a hole in one only a month ago. Did I mention hole in one again ( :p:D)

On 10 a par 3, I hit a 6 iron, my best shot of the day – it was just the perfect club, perfect flight, very powerful into the wind to 7 feet – missed putt :rolleyes: – but was thinking at the time , everything about that shot was at a level I could only have dreamt of 2 years ago. Missing the putt was painful. I know, I know, 7 feet, sanded greens, pro stats, move on………………………… But – it deserved more.

Again – on about 13 I was thinking of what a few people have said on here, unrealistic expectations of golfers. I started to realise that 4/5/6 over on poor greens in near winter conditions is very very good golf. But at the same time, if I want to get to my goal – I am going to need to have an expectation of easy par rounds. The truth is, there is a big difference in par rounds and mid low handicap rounds. A big difference, bigger than the pure numerics.

I can still see the problems in my game – 80 to 50 yards I’m poor – thin or short, lacking any confidence and unsure on bounce, ball position and swing, is sad, as I end up in this place a good bit - and on every par 5 I’m in that zone. If I do hit a good one, it is 10 feet if good and it makes that putt that bit harder.

But today – I putted better – I has hitting at cup, lip or in. And on 5 after 48 holes of golf, got a bloody bird – thank feck, was actually a remarkable period of golf, easily had 20 chances (10 good).

I loved today and was going so fast, I seen I was going to get a full round in, again it was going to be another round, around 5 over – but one that could easily be par.

But – you can also fool yourself – 4/5 over is a long way from par.
    It is better wedges, a little better on the greens.

On 18 I played my worse hole, awful OTT drive into deep right rough, was a poor enough lie , decided to swing all out and try a runner onto the green with 7 iron, creamed it to 45 foot.

The 45 footer, never looked like it as going anywhere else.
    The worst hole I played – a bird (Lol)

Holes like that make this game the mystery we love.

Happy with my lot – a Reserve Rioja tonight – a qualifying comp in am. I'm a very lucky man.

Score 75 (4 over)

FIR 43 %
    GIR 39 % (NB 72% yesterday :confused:) (many on edge)
    Srambling 45 %

Putting
    29 Putts
    1.61 per hole
    1.71 per GIR

Unusual stat of day – Round time 2hr15min – Hilarious.

Thanks again to all - back in a few weeks - unless a dramatic cut or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Don't know if you are using a website for your stats but I changed from today's golfer handicap tracker to freegolftracker.com and find it very good. You have to enter some Irish course details yourself as it mainly has american course but only takes a couple of mins.
    I like the fact you can track 9 holes as well as 18. Captures gir/fir/drives left or right/putts/penalties/up and downs/sand saves some other things like drive distance/1st putt distance/golf ball used are available but I don't use them myself...plenty of graphs and the like on it too. Best of all it's free...in case anyone is wondering I have no connection to the site I just find it very good.
    Good luck with your goal fix hope this post helps ye

So have had much stuff on - House work, work, real life and a U2 gig in the mix too - what a concert.

Still, have used whatever time I had, to hit range and play between 10 to 14 holes when I've got the time.

Played in Boards outing at weekend and was swinging like a "gorilla" as one of the lads said :o:p:D. Still had 31 pts, but was most inconsistent striking I have had in a year or so. Went from Thin , to fat, to OTT , to hook to slice. :eek::D

Got it together for last few and played them well enough, except on drive that was so out of time and path , I almost missed ball. :eek:

I can only put this down to the work I have been doing at range, I'm working on my width and rotation - I was looking at the club position at top of backswing and is so steep it is unreal

top-of-golf-swing-drill2.jpg

I would basically be on the right hand side of these 4 pictures.
    So at range I'm working on more rotation and less arms. It is a major change for me - and feels very unnatural .

But - there is no doubting, I will struggle to be consistent with my current golf swing , so at another point, where I have to decide to work with what I have , or go for a big push at this over next 3 months.

I'll be honest and admit - it has been remarkable the scores I got and handicap I got to , with such poor fundamentals. I'm basically using my hands and arms all disconnected.

So played my own place 2 days this week. Was a strong cross wind and an empty course - basically 2 hours of light both days and was very very enjoyable.

It seems funny that with a cross wind - I can commit to one side of the course, this seems to get me working more from the inside and the ball even leaves the path heading right, rather than an ugly low pull.

On the first day I was 1 over for 10 holes - basically couldn't play any better,
    On the second day I was 5 over for 14 holes - with another awful OTT swing.

So - I can live with the swing I have , but it is the uncertainty it threatens me with, is the real fear - because when I get into a run of disconnected OTT swings, anything - I mean anything, can happen.

So some thinking ahead - loved every minute of the golf I played this week.
    But - I know there are choices ahead.

A qualifying competition this Friday - will be interesting , as CSS will be low.

But, off to get another U2 ticket first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So have had much stuff on - House work, work, real life and a U2 gig in the mix too - what a concert.

Still, have used whatever time I had, to hit range and play between 10 to 14 holes when I've got the time.

Played in Boards outing at weekend and was swinging like a "gorilla" as one of the lads said :o:p:D. Still had 31 pts, but was most inconsistent striking I have had in a year or so. Went from Thin , to fat, to OTT , to hook to slice. :eek::D

Got it together for last few and played them well enough, except on drive that was so out of time and path , I almost missed ball. :eek:

I can only put this down to the work I have been doing at range, I'm working on my width and rotation - I was looking at the club position at top of backswing and is so steep it is unreal

top-of-golf-swing-drill2.jpg

I would basically be on the right hand side of these 4 pictures.
    So at range I'm working on more rotation and less arms. It is a major change for me - and feels very unnatural .

But - there is no doubting, I will struggle to be consistent with my current golf swing , so at another point, where I have to decide to work with what I have , or go for a big push at this over next 3 months.

I'll be honest and admit - it has been remarkable the scores I got and handicap I got to , with such poor fundamentals. I'm basically using my hands and arms all disconnected.

So played my own place 2 days this week. Was a strong cross wind and an empty course - basically 2 hours of light both days and was very very enjoyable.

It seems funny that with a cross wind - I can commit to one side of the course, this seems to get me working more from the inside and the ball even leaves the path heading right, rather than an ugly low pull.

On the first day I was 1 over for 10 holes - basically couldn't play any better,
    On the second day I was 5 over for 14 holes - with another awful OTT swing.

So - I can live with the swing I have , but it is the uncertainty it threatens me with, is the real fear - because when I get into a run of disconnected OTT swings, anything - I mean anything, can happen.

So some thinking ahead - loved every minute of the golf I played this week.
    But - I know there are choices ahead.

A qualifying competition this Friday - will be interesting , as CSS will be low.

But, off to get another U2 ticket first.

Ah here Fix, you have well & truly tumbled down the rabbit hole :D

“About a 5 when everything goes very well!”

There was almost a request for forgiveness in the weather today. There was a stillness and warmth felt, that has not been, in what feels like months. The sea was loud and angry from the weeks of unrest, a mist was floating over Dublin Bay – stunning.

Maybe because conditions were too good – I birdied the first, then I start thinking about how easy this game is, then I hooked a 3 wood into water on 2 and the little man in the head, started talking to me about …………………… “you’re not really up to this ? ” , “are you ?”,…………. “go away little man”, “go away”………”you’re right little man”…………..

So a very strange piece of psychology to actually not have to deal with wind – jumping a 3 club change at once, in one day, is a welcome challenge, and to actually aim at the pin, is a new feeling.

It has been bits and pieces, but somehow managed to win a competition a few weeks ago, with just pure ignorance in awful wind. Again, a different sport to real golf – but a sort of strength I have. I’m not sure the ability to play in that wind is of that much value in the overall picture. My goal is to get to 2.5, not be good mid-winter, against a field struggling play in high winds.

In that last month ,I think I have come around to realising, that I will have to live with the flaws in my swing that are there - I can sort of play off 6 to 9 comfortably, with what I have. I know I will have days it falls apart due to my swing path issues. So, will never be a very steady low handicap player.

As my clubs get shorter – the steepness becomes more and more pronounced, My short cubs can be just powered through the turf , or can end being fat / thin. This then places me in two minds – is this going to be too steep, then I try be a little shallower and I hit them thin.

It just doesn’t sound like a player who could ever dream of getting down to 3.
    So – I don’t need a total revamp – I can get the ball to good positions from very far away, I just have rounds were I can have 4/5 bad shots from 140 to 60 yards. It is horrible in a way – As I can play a round of perfect long game and walk away with an 80, or worse.

So people always give me the lecture on the short game – of course they are right, but there can be other fundamental flaws in your swing , that have nothing to do with the short game – yes the short game can get you up and down , I’m always thinking of the wedge that put me 20 yards away from 100 yards.

Considering the weather, the light, and considerable work I have on. I’ve done well to keep everything going. My main swing thoughts is get wide, drop and approach inside to ball if I can. If get inside too quick at the start, I’m normally OTT or sometimes I can be too much inside and a good bit of hook. So to sum up, inconsistent – but in the course in play / left of green (typically).
    So – accepting your flaws, is a big part of this game too – I know I can put work into short game and putting – and made massive progress last season. But behind this, I fear that the fundamental flaws in my swing are my real limitation – I fear this limitation could place me at my current limits (about a 5) with hard hard work.

That is why I always struggle with accepting the game I have, I know the limitations of it. Yes there is power / distance, but there is very little finesse. There is limitations in ball flight, inconsistent strike.

But, “Jaysus” – I’m only an improving hacker having a bit of fun, I love playing golf – there is no point worrying too much about all that.
    So a thoughtful day, have a sort of plan in my head – and will have a short game coach in January.

Joined up with 2 gents (about 70) for last 4 holes and had 4 pars with the dark descending. One of them turned to me and asked me am I off 3 or 4 – sometimes a little compliment like that is important in the head of an insecure low handicap player. Anything that helps that little man in your head have answers – when he inevitably comes back.

“you’re not up to this are you?” – “ I am, you ****er” .

Was watching a very good documentary about Payne Stewart last night, much of the documentary was about him turning into the golfer he ended up, the prior failure, the uncertainty, the getting in his own way, the disappointment, and the doubt.

It is amazing how even at the highest level of golf, the mind is still one of the biggest parts of this game. I never knew that for certain before, I doubted it, but you learn that the hard way.

4 years ago now, I was off 12, in a society, wasn’t really a golfer – was just a Dad looking for something else, I knew I had something in me I needed to get out. The journey started. I’m not sure now the journey was just about golf. 4 years, and still working hard – Jesus this game is so hard, this game is so hard for most, but seems even harder for me.

It is only a game, a game we love, If you are enjoying this game, does it matter what you play off? I’ve seen young and old, skilful and not, enjoy golf as much as each other. There is nothing like it. You see lads off 28 with goals, maybe break 90 – there have been posts on here about first birdies, 2 birdies in a row, an eagle, lowest ever round. There is something special about that hope, that time you know when there are easy improvements, low hanging fruit. Then there are the days you play a level that is outside what you imagined was possible ……. They are the ones we never forget. You remember the day, the weather, the people, the course, the shots, the feeling. I’ve been lucky to have many of those days over the last 2 to 3 years. I hope there are more to come in 2016.

I often feared, when that glorious time, of easy handicap reductions and best days on a course, come to an end, when the goals are too hard, when is there is no longer low hanging fruit……………..Does the game become less of a joy – a loss of hope is a terrible thing.

But the good news for me– there are still easy shots out there, I’m seeing it now. There is much to be grateful, hopeful and optimistic about.
    With the recent global warming, Christmas, work and life – it has been just 6 holes when I can, when the light will let. A bit of a flaw of mine still – I love to play the 6 holes and see the score, some days I’ll hit 1 ball as a test of real score. It was a tip I got on here from Space, break your (competition) rounds up, set small goals into parts of a round. I have found this useful overall, even practice, 6 holes level par, is a great target. 1 over is great golf, 2 over acceptable, 3 over recoverable, 4 over (you’re not great at this game are you).
    So – in the 6 hole sets I’ve played, I have been 1 over, 3 over, 2 over, 1 over. It is good golf, but there seems to be a barrier to get to par or under. Is this barrier mental, physical or both? Am I being too hard? It is very soft in parts out there, not perfect greens, winter – “relax and keep enjoying your luck to play, you idiot!”.

I’m happy/delighted with most aspects of my game, but there is one bad shot that is always a factor , a fat wedge, it is a horrible shot, can go anyway between 50 % to 80 % of intended distance, horrendously bad, relative to everything else going on. The real painful aspect is, I’ve normally hit a great drive and am in perfect position – I’d almost prefer to be 130 yards out hitting a full PW. It seems to be my inability to control lower tempo and angle of attack. I sense club length plays a part, I’m working on ball position to help………..more work required.

Now, in fairness, it is mid-winter, I’m playing surfaces very soft (for a links), but that is not the point, I definitely sense in my mind when this shot is going to happen, it is a problem in my game, a problem if I can solve, would have a dramatic impact on scores, it is that level par 6 hole i’m looking for, maybe slipping under par with a little more ease.

But today, overall, I seen something very positive, I was level after 6 with 2 , yes 2 of “them wedges” from 100 yards or less, one, I scrambled a par and other a bogey. The rest of my game was about as perfect as I will ever get it.
    Today I was lucky and played on to get 8 in, again, on last a horrible fat wedge. You could hide behind “winter conditions”, but this is far more serious issue, it needs to go.

But – I seen something today – that 1 over for 8 was easy, with 2/3 bad shots that hopefully can be solved. It is disappointing, But, I felt comfortable, within myself, in control at level par and under for a short while. I knew my distances, I was driving long and straight, putting well, hitting perfect mid-range shots, I hit a draw to a LHS pin on demand.

So – another happy day at the course. The light faded, but there is that hope and light there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

a fat wedge, it is a horrible shot, can go anyway between 50 % to 80 % of intended distance

For the longest time most balls I used to hit were on the range. Fat wedges off range mats go almost full distance and actually feel okay which can lead to bad habits. I found this problem when coming back on grass. Had you been playing off winter mats recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Always a good read Fixed.

Here's my take on the fat shot. From playing numerous rounds last year with guys a couple shots lower than me I realised they make just as many bad shots as I do in a round. The difference is they recover well and have the ability to make birdie on the next if they need to get one back. I've stopped beating myself up after a bad shot to concentrate on not compounding it with my next.

On a side note I have my own Payne Stewart story to share.

When I was 11 and just taking up the game I was out on a Tuesday afternoon with my dad during the school holidays. The course was empty but we scampered around to get in before the light faded. After we played our second on the 18th I saw a lone golfer back on the tee. We scurried off to the edge of the fairway and waived him through. It was so dark I could barely make out the silhouette of a golf swing from our spot about 240yrds off the tee. Then I heard this almighty crack, I'd never heard anything like it before on a golf course. The ball seemed to stay in the air forever before landing about 30yrds beyond us. Don't forget this is back in the day of persimmon drivers and balata golf balls. He ran up the fairway to play out the final hole with us and introduced himself as Payne Stewart. After we played out the last he shook my hand and thanked me for waiving him through. I was a fan of his from that point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Senecio wrote: »

On a side note I have my own Payne Stewart story to share.

When I was 11 and just taking up the game I was out on a Tuesday afternoon with my dad during the school holidays. The course was empty but we scampered around to get in before the light faded. After we played our second on the 18th I saw a lone golfer back on the tee. We scurried off to the edge of the fairway and waived him through. It was so dark I could barely make out the silhouette of a golf swing from our spot about 240yrds off the tee. Then I heard this almighty crack, I'd never heard anything like it before on a golf course. The ball seemed to stay in the air forever before landing about 30yrds beyond us. Don't forget this is back in the day of persimmon drivers and balata golf balls. He ran up the fairway to play out the final hole with us and introduced himself as Payne Stewart. After we played out the last he shook my hand and thanked me for waiving him through. I was a fan of his from that point on.

that is a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Great story Senecio! Fix can I just add you say you find this game hard! Don't beat yourself up! you are a single figure handicapper and a low one at that and even on your bad days I'd say you break 90 easily.

I'm playing this game 10 years although Im only a member of a club 4/5 yrs. Im playing off 20!! which is disheartening but I still love it! I had my best ever round last year and shot an 86 without thinking but I remember every bit of it :D had my first eagle and first every time to have 2 birdies in a round all these things happened in different rounds by the way. I find this game hard but still come back!! I have all the shots its just getting them together and constant.

To me single figures is a pipe dream! I've had tonnes of lessons spent endless hrs on the range and on the course practising, big money on my golf clubs etc..... still off 20! :( but seen some good improvement last year. But I still will chase that pipe dream and probably will be always chasing it!!

But one thing I said I'm going to do this year is relax and enjoy it more ;)

Benny - 86 is a great score in golf (fair play), In fact anyone breaking 90 for the first time is doing something you should never forget. I think if you have hit a wall, record your stats, over a few round and work out exactly what is going wrong.
    We tend to not take on the weak parts of the game , and hide at ranges banging balls. I fell into this trap , it paid off in ball striking, but I ended up with injuries and had to ban myself from the range for a few months.

I think a big issue with consistency is being consistent with what you do. There is a time for change of swing , change of equipment - but there is also a point you accept your game , understand what your game is and then make tiny improvements slowly. I think as amateurs we make the mistake of making big changes too often and at the wrong time.

I go to The Irish Amateur Open every year in Royal Dublin, it is a terribly difficult event, in horrible conditions and most golfers are at +1 to +4 of a handicap , yes, another planet of golf. It is effectively their full time effort. It is a full time job for some. I remember being a bit saddened at how many were just going through the motions. It wasn't fun. It just made me curious about that edge you get to when the game is not fun, you are at a limit of your ability. I haven't got there yet , but an area that I am interested in. The limits of our ability.

The other strange thing is, do we know what our limits are ? do we know when we are there ?

Anyway , that is all a bit abstract.

At our level, easier to say, I haven't practiced my putting or short game in 3 weeks, I should maybe go out and do 3 hours this week and the next 2 after that. Then like some sort of magic - you putt and chip better, it is as simple as you want it to be too.

Another one is the weather is too bad to do anything - if you want to get better , forget the weather.
    There is the range, there is indoor putting etc.
    If you have time set aside for golf - do something to do with golf.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    For the longest time most balls I used to hit were on the range. Fat wedges off range mats go almost full distance and actually feel okay which can lead to bad habits. I found this problem when coming back on grass. Had you been playing off winter mats recently?

Yes roadrunner , has been a good bit of range work. And you only see your real divot on the course. Now in fairness not a good time to judge ball striking. (well you could put forward an argument it is a real test of strike).

But, I'm an awful digger very steep and a little over the top. So these conditions will catch my wedges out.

Now the good news , with enough speed and the right ground you get away with it in summer, but still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

As Moe Norman apparently used to say, bacon slices, not pork chops :D

Have been working too much – so with a day off and free, I was determined to play a full round of golf. A ball, a score, a real round, and wind face burn to show after.

But when I looked around, actually getting a game of golf, is not that simple at present. This is not normally an issue for me – links golf is normally in full play (or 80% there).

Every Links I checked or rang was closed, partially closed, part out of service, very unusual. You know you are in a serious bit of trouble when Corballis is closed. Corballis is like kryptonite against bad weather.

I didn’t fancy paying big money for Portmarnock Links or The Island, so tried Rush “full”, then a final idea came into my head. Sutton – rang, the pro told me “not one person on course” – but fully open, why not.

A tiny course at 5766 Yards (2 nines), but a golf course. Just hadn’t a clue what to except condition wise, weather about 6 degrees and 10 m/sec + wind – on the edges of crazy, but never stopped me yet.

I posted in the other thread for goals 2016, that I want a few eagles this year, so you may as well practice for that in a practice round? – being a little bit more aggressive is actually a skill in itself, you are not being crazy aggressive,
    but if there is no danger – enjoy the game, take a chance and get use to taking on longer shots in practice rounds. It is the same with every part of this game – you need to practice taking stuff on more, if you are going to take stuff on more !

The wind from the North was strong and cold on the first, so at 310 yards and playing like 260 yards, I said, for the fun, let us go for this green , great drive over the back – this going for things is fun when it works , was funny it worked on first hole out (put a smile on my face). Then the chip was easy enough and ended up about 1 cm short from my first eagle of the year – silly stuff.

Then the trappings of this approach was there on 3, short par 5 – a nine going for it (lol). Didn’t take my medicine 3 times – but a practice round, is practice (you tell yourself after a 9).

Was hitting the ball well besides that hole – and have to say 4, is a brilliant hole there – hard to play if you don’t know hole well. Water comes into play on lay up and on green. Maybe the best hole on course, along with 7, 8 and 9.

If people have ever gone past on the DART – the DART almost comes into play, the course is on a tiny little plot, in a stunning and very affluent part of Dublin. I’ve many memories of going past on the train as a youngster and looking in – in curiosity, maybe misplaced envy if being honest. The 6th is a funny hole and only 95 yards or shorter – there was a silly water hazard there that looked out of place – they have now removed that. It is an interesting test – to hit maybe a 70/80 % wedge and pick an exact spot on a very tricky fast green.

Sutton was absolutely bone dry – the greens are very nice, but sadly have way too many pitch marks and damage (was surprised at the pitch marks) – they are still great fun to putt on – and the best greens I’ve played this winter (haven’t played the top courses this winter yet).

I loved today – and played great stuff outside of the 3rd, first time around (BTW – you play 9 holes twice)

2nd time around – I did something I haven’t done in ages and went for a longish par 4 (348 yards), again only playing like 280- 300 – ran onto green , got a great buzz out of that , an eagle putt – tap in bird.

So great fun, a day that looked like nothing would happen at all golf wise. Days like that, that surprise you are great. You do have to take a chance – and just go for it in Ireland with golf.

I ended up 11 over, not a great score – but lots of great stuff in there – the 9 was just one of them things. 3 birds, two great eagle chances, but a round of golf, nice weather at times and the place totally to myself.

The last hole was a great little sign for me. Into wind, 376 yards (index 1/6), perfect drive, a great 4 iron onto green, a 2 putt from 60 feet. Every part of that hole was a level of golf, I genuinely couldn’t have dreamt of, as I looked in from the DART as a young lad.

My driving has been poor and inconsistent the last while. In fairness, not a great time to be thinking too much about your game – or is that an excuse?
    Lads are posting rounds in low 70s in “how did you score thread”. So clearly guys are playing great golf this time of year – I congratulate them.

Was listening and watching a good bit around the time of Christy O’Connor’s passing – genuinely a guy who seemed a part of my golfing life. Not being overly glib there – between the clinics, the Opens the exhibitions the courses I played. The first top courses I played were Christy O’Connor courses, Glasson and Mount Wolseley. I’ve been very lucky to play some of the best courses in Ireland now – but you never forget the first time out on a top course – that almost childlike excitement is still there today– I genuinely look forward to playing golf in Kerry and Donegal for example, I look at pictures of course in far off places that I would love to play, but never will.

Anyway – there was one piece where Christy explained the backswing - he said the club has to stop at some stage , so there is no point in being too fast – there was also a great piece 4 minutes into this You Tube how he shows transition – this sums up where many problems in this game are.

I’m just in too much of a rush – now I’m 100 miles an hour in everything I do, this is a major advantage in most things – and there is nothing wrong with swing speed, if gives me great distance etc. But the problem is the speed is all over the swing, resulting in over swing and disconnection before I ever get a chance to hit the ball well. It is all too big and lose and fast and OTT and uncontrolled.

I’ve watched a good few low players now – none of them are like that, they are far more within themselves, control, timed and power and speed at the right time. So either they are wrong or I am wrong – the answer is in my face.

I’ve tried to slow it down – but it seems to knock everything out of synch, you could almost say my natural swing, is just too fast. There is nothing wrong with that most of the time – but it makes things very very unpredictable.

Today at the range – I just said – a little, tiny bit, slower (now would be still fast for most), but just give yourself a chance , to get wide , a little shorter, a little more connected a little more controlled – was absolutely nailing it, it is all in the head isn’t it .

I’ve been reading about this monkey in the head, that the sports psychologist Steve Peter’s goes on about it – Padraig goes on about it, Steve Gerrard goes on about it in his Autobiography. I don’t think the monkey would last with the inner me – he couldn’t handle it.

Anyway – out in the morning (looks unplayable), even the inner self wouldn’t go out in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I’ve tried to slow it down – but it seems to knock everything out of synch, you could almost say my natural swing, is just too fast. There is nothing wrong with that most of the time – but it makes things very very unpredictable.

Today at the range – I just said – a little, tiny bit, slower (now would be still fast for most), but just give yourself a chance , to get wide , a little shorter, a little more connected a little more controlled – was absolutely nailing it, it is all in the head isn’t it .

A good range drill I was given last year to slow down my back swing was to place a ball (ball b) about 6 inches behind the ball you're about to strike (ball a). As you begin your back swing you'll push ball b back of the mat and it should only roll/trickle off rather than de-shin anyone standing behind you. It can also be used a a guide to determine if you're starting too far on the outside or inside depending on where it rolls to as it should just roll back straight.

Advertisement