Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Life (Sub 2.5)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

a fat wedge, it is a horrible shot, can go anyway between 50 % to 80 % of intended distance

For the longest time most balls I used to hit were on the range. Fat wedges off range mats go almost full distance and actually feel okay which can lead to bad habits. I found this problem when coming back on grass. Had you been playing off winter mats recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Always a good read Fixed.

Here's my take on the fat shot. From playing numerous rounds last year with guys a couple shots lower than me I realised they make just as many bad shots as I do in a round. The difference is they recover well and have the ability to make birdie on the next if they need to get one back. I've stopped beating myself up after a bad shot to concentrate on not compounding it with my next.

On a side note I have my own Payne Stewart story to share.

When I was 11 and just taking up the game I was out on a Tuesday afternoon with my dad during the school holidays. The course was empty but we scampered around to get in before the light faded. After we played our second on the 18th I saw a lone golfer back on the tee. We scurried off to the edge of the fairway and waived him through. It was so dark I could barely make out the silhouette of a golf swing from our spot about 240yrds off the tee. Then I heard this almighty crack, I'd never heard anything like it before on a golf course. The ball seemed to stay in the air forever before landing about 30yrds beyond us. Don't forget this is back in the day of persimmon drivers and balata golf balls. He ran up the fairway to play out the final hole with us and introduced himself as Payne Stewart. After we played out the last he shook my hand and thanked me for waiving him through. I was a fan of his from that point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Senecio wrote: »

On a side note I have my own Payne Stewart story to share.

When I was 11 and just taking up the game I was out on a Tuesday afternoon with my dad during the school holidays. The course was empty but we scampered around to get in before the light faded. After we played our second on the 18th I saw a lone golfer back on the tee. We scurried off to the edge of the fairway and waived him through. It was so dark I could barely make out the silhouette of a golf swing from our spot about 240yrds off the tee. Then I heard this almighty crack, I'd never heard anything like it before on a golf course. The ball seemed to stay in the air forever before landing about 30yrds beyond us. Don't forget this is back in the day of persimmon drivers and balata golf balls. He ran up the fairway to play out the final hole with us and introduced himself as Payne Stewart. After we played out the last he shook my hand and thanked me for waiving him through. I was a fan of his from that point on.

that is a great story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Great story Senecio! Fix can I just add you say you find this game hard! Don't beat yourself up! you are a single figure handicapper and a low one at that and even on your bad days I'd say you break 90 easily.

I'm playing this game 10 years although Im only a member of a club 4/5 yrs. Im playing off 20!! which is disheartening but I still love it! I had my best ever round last year and shot an 86 without thinking but I remember every bit of it :D had my first eagle and first every time to have 2 birdies in a round all these things happened in different rounds by the way. I find this game hard but still come back!! I have all the shots its just getting them together and constant.

To me single figures is a pipe dream! I've had tonnes of lessons spent endless hrs on the range and on the course practising, big money on my golf clubs etc..... still off 20! :( but seen some good improvement last year. But I still will chase that pipe dream and probably will be always chasing it!!

But one thing I said I'm going to do this year is relax and enjoy it more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Benny - 86 is a great score in golf (fair play), In fact anyone breaking 90 for the first time is doing something you should never forget. I think if you have hit a wall, record your stats, over a few round and work out exactly what is going wrong.
    We tend to not take on the weak parts of the game , and hide at ranges banging balls. I fell into this trap , it paid off in ball striking, but I ended up with injuries and had to ban myself from the range for a few months.

I think a big issue with consistency is being consistent with what you do. There is a time for change of swing , change of equipment - but there is also a point you accept your game , understand what your game is and then make tiny improvements slowly. I think as amateurs we make the mistake of making big changes too often and at the wrong time.

I go to The Irish Amateur Open every year in Royal Dublin, it is a terribly difficult event, in horrible conditions and most golfers are at +1 to +4 of a handicap , yes, another planet of golf. It is effectively their full time effort. It is a full time job for some. I remember being a bit saddened at how many were just going through the motions. It wasn't fun. It just made me curious about that edge you get to when the game is not fun, you are at a limit of your ability. I haven't got there yet , but an area that I am interested in. The limits of our ability.

The other strange thing is, do we know what our limits are ? do we know when we are there ?

Anyway , that is all a bit abstract.

At our level, easier to say, I haven't practiced my putting or short game in 3 weeks, I should maybe go out and do 3 hours this week and the next 2 after that. Then like some sort of magic - you putt and chip better, it is as simple as you want it to be too.

Another one is the weather is too bad to do anything - if you want to get better , forget the weather.
    There is the range, there is indoor putting etc.
    If you have time set aside for golf - do something to do with golf.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    For the longest time most balls I used to hit were on the range. Fat wedges off range mats go almost full distance and actually feel okay which can lead to bad habits. I found this problem when coming back on grass. Had you been playing off winter mats recently?

Yes roadrunner , has been a good bit of range work. And you only see your real divot on the course. Now in fairness not a good time to judge ball striking. (well you could put forward an argument it is a real test of strike).

But, I'm an awful digger very steep and a little over the top. So these conditions will catch my wedges out.

Now the good news , with enough speed and the right ground you get away with it in summer, but still an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

As Moe Norman apparently used to say, bacon slices, not pork chops :D

Have been working too much – so with a day off and free, I was determined to play a full round of golf. A ball, a score, a real round, and wind face burn to show after.

But when I looked around, actually getting a game of golf, is not that simple at present. This is not normally an issue for me – links golf is normally in full play (or 80% there).

Every Links I checked or rang was closed, partially closed, part out of service, very unusual. You know you are in a serious bit of trouble when Corballis is closed. Corballis is like kryptonite against bad weather.

I didn’t fancy paying big money for Portmarnock Links or The Island, so tried Rush “full”, then a final idea came into my head. Sutton – rang, the pro told me “not one person on course” – but fully open, why not.

A tiny course at 5766 Yards (2 nines), but a golf course. Just hadn’t a clue what to except condition wise, weather about 6 degrees and 10 m/sec + wind – on the edges of crazy, but never stopped me yet.

I posted in the other thread for goals 2016, that I want a few eagles this year, so you may as well practice for that in a practice round? – being a little bit more aggressive is actually a skill in itself, you are not being crazy aggressive,
    but if there is no danger – enjoy the game, take a chance and get use to taking on longer shots in practice rounds. It is the same with every part of this game – you need to practice taking stuff on more, if you are going to take stuff on more !

The wind from the North was strong and cold on the first, so at 310 yards and playing like 260 yards, I said, for the fun, let us go for this green , great drive over the back – this going for things is fun when it works , was funny it worked on first hole out (put a smile on my face). Then the chip was easy enough and ended up about 1 cm short from my first eagle of the year – silly stuff.

Then the trappings of this approach was there on 3, short par 5 – a nine going for it (lol). Didn’t take my medicine 3 times – but a practice round, is practice (you tell yourself after a 9).

Was hitting the ball well besides that hole – and have to say 4, is a brilliant hole there – hard to play if you don’t know hole well. Water comes into play on lay up and on green. Maybe the best hole on course, along with 7, 8 and 9.

If people have ever gone past on the DART – the DART almost comes into play, the course is on a tiny little plot, in a stunning and very affluent part of Dublin. I’ve many memories of going past on the train as a youngster and looking in – in curiosity, maybe misplaced envy if being honest. The 6th is a funny hole and only 95 yards or shorter – there was a silly water hazard there that looked out of place – they have now removed that. It is an interesting test – to hit maybe a 70/80 % wedge and pick an exact spot on a very tricky fast green.

Sutton was absolutely bone dry – the greens are very nice, but sadly have way too many pitch marks and damage (was surprised at the pitch marks) – they are still great fun to putt on – and the best greens I’ve played this winter (haven’t played the top courses this winter yet).

I loved today – and played great stuff outside of the 3rd, first time around (BTW – you play 9 holes twice)

2nd time around – I did something I haven’t done in ages and went for a longish par 4 (348 yards), again only playing like 280- 300 – ran onto green , got a great buzz out of that , an eagle putt – tap in bird.

So great fun, a day that looked like nothing would happen at all golf wise. Days like that, that surprise you are great. You do have to take a chance – and just go for it in Ireland with golf.

I ended up 11 over, not a great score – but lots of great stuff in there – the 9 was just one of them things. 3 birds, two great eagle chances, but a round of golf, nice weather at times and the place totally to myself.

The last hole was a great little sign for me. Into wind, 376 yards (index 1/6), perfect drive, a great 4 iron onto green, a 2 putt from 60 feet. Every part of that hole was a level of golf, I genuinely couldn’t have dreamt of, as I looked in from the DART as a young lad.

My driving has been poor and inconsistent the last while. In fairness, not a great time to be thinking too much about your game – or is that an excuse?
    Lads are posting rounds in low 70s in “how did you score thread”. So clearly guys are playing great golf this time of year – I congratulate them.

Was listening and watching a good bit around the time of Christy O’Connor’s passing – genuinely a guy who seemed a part of my golfing life. Not being overly glib there – between the clinics, the Opens the exhibitions the courses I played. The first top courses I played were Christy O’Connor courses, Glasson and Mount Wolseley. I’ve been very lucky to play some of the best courses in Ireland now – but you never forget the first time out on a top course – that almost childlike excitement is still there today– I genuinely look forward to playing golf in Kerry and Donegal for example, I look at pictures of course in far off places that I would love to play, but never will.

Anyway – there was one piece where Christy explained the backswing - he said the club has to stop at some stage , so there is no point in being too fast – there was also a great piece 4 minutes into this You Tube how he shows transition – this sums up where many problems in this game are.

I’m just in too much of a rush – now I’m 100 miles an hour in everything I do, this is a major advantage in most things – and there is nothing wrong with swing speed, if gives me great distance etc. But the problem is the speed is all over the swing, resulting in over swing and disconnection before I ever get a chance to hit the ball well. It is all too big and lose and fast and OTT and uncontrolled.

I’ve watched a good few low players now – none of them are like that, they are far more within themselves, control, timed and power and speed at the right time. So either they are wrong or I am wrong – the answer is in my face.

I’ve tried to slow it down – but it seems to knock everything out of synch, you could almost say my natural swing, is just too fast. There is nothing wrong with that most of the time – but it makes things very very unpredictable.

Today at the range – I just said – a little, tiny bit, slower (now would be still fast for most), but just give yourself a chance , to get wide , a little shorter, a little more connected a little more controlled – was absolutely nailing it, it is all in the head isn’t it .

I’ve been reading about this monkey in the head, that the sports psychologist Steve Peter’s goes on about it – Padraig goes on about it, Steve Gerrard goes on about it in his Autobiography. I don’t think the monkey would last with the inner me – he couldn’t handle it.

Anyway – out in the morning (looks unplayable), even the inner self wouldn’t go out in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I’ve tried to slow it down – but it seems to knock everything out of synch, you could almost say my natural swing, is just too fast. There is nothing wrong with that most of the time – but it makes things very very unpredictable.

Today at the range – I just said – a little, tiny bit, slower (now would be still fast for most), but just give yourself a chance , to get wide , a little shorter, a little more connected a little more controlled – was absolutely nailing it, it is all in the head isn’t it .

A good range drill I was given last year to slow down my back swing was to place a ball (ball b) about 6 inches behind the ball you're about to strike (ball a). As you begin your back swing you'll push ball b back of the mat and it should only roll/trickle off rather than de-shin anyone standing behind you. It can also be used a a guide to determine if you're starting too far on the outside or inside depending on where it rolls to as it should just roll back straight.

Time has flown – I’m 1/3 into the year I have put aside for this – and it hasn’t been a time to expect, make, or see progress in your game or anyone’s game. 6 holes here, range, 12 holes – and then the odd 18 in terrible wind and rain and cold. I do find the times when I have no reference or indicator of my game difficult and frustrating. I know many good golfers – just play and let it happen, but I’m just not made like that. It is the score, the number of pars, the number of blow ups, the number of birdies, the number of putts missed. The only positive – I still love it.

So was looking for a sense of where my game was (again) – but there hasn’t been a time when all the parts of my game are right – short game practice is patchy at best – putting green not in ideal condition and sunlight (whilst improving) is just not there yet.

It is just a case of frustrating patience – but you still look to see how the 6 / 9 holes are scoring versus the last day - they haven’t been spectacular – at one stage I had a very very bad hook on the driver – I worked on basics and went for a slightly heavier shaft and slowed it down a tad. It seems to have come around – if gone slightly fading/odd slice.

I have put in more work this winter than any other year, it hasn’t been easy, it has been cold, it has been poor golf and it has been incredible wind, on many occasions alone. As no one else would even consider it. You do question is there any value in that type of golf – I think I’m making up for the 30 odd years I never played golf in the winter. Yet I bump into gents and play a few holes – in their 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. This game has a way of getting a grip that is impossible to grasp at times.

So with under 3 hours of daylight – got out today and was thinking I could try get 18 in and a score (in the end I didn’t push my luck at home and got 14 at ease), it was much stiller than it has been but still a 2 club wind and winter flight out there , but actually playable.

By the 2nd hole (even if a 3 putt) – I just knew my game was there – I knew what I was doing, what club I was using and what I was trying to do. I was making pars fairly easy and had 6 birdie putts in 14 holes, I’ll be honest, was a thrill. The best thing about it was I was 2 over and that was with 3 lip outs. It was the first time in a while I felt level par was on – but not panicking that I was near level.

So a great day, at the 2nd office. I still need big work on wedges and had 3 bad ones from that 80 to 50 yard range.

It got cold as the sun went down – but finished with 4 pars and 4 birdie putts.
    All on good lines - a few would drop on another day.

For all the hard days where things look a bit lost – you need a day like that to keep you going.

When you start believing your own bull****, you hit Corballis to be well and truly humbled – 12 over. It was a very tough wind, but the short game was poor and missing a lot of 3-4 footers. I won my first ever brand new pack of prov1s at Boards outing and it was at least an achievement to go home with, the same brand new ball I started with.

But was a great week of golf – I could see in practice I was getting that 1 over par for 6/9 with ease , there was no real brilliant golf – but I was hitting a very good shot after the bad ones – I’m at last beginning to accept that a par is a par, it doesn’t have to be regulation all the time, it is just hard to see you are getting better at making pars from non-ideal situations - maybe I need game golf (lol) , to go with the laser and GPS, who would have imagined. :D

Corballis is stunning at the moment – the fact you have it to yourself is part of the pleasure. The course is showing signs of all the play it has had over the winter – the divot situation is as bad as I have ever seen it , ended up playing 4 shots from deep divots in one round – sad , the urban legend is, that people treat Corballis poor, because it is not their own course and it is public.
    Ok , it is a public course – but you would imagine most golfers playing winter links golf , understand golf – to play Corballis , you need to understand golf.

Anyway, got to 4 handicap – and have 1.7 more strokes to target. It still feels a massive task. Because I have never felt truly comfortable under 6. I genuinely still feel like an imposter, with the sort of self-styled OTT swing.

But recently I was looking at a few photos of top pros – many of them like Lowry, Bubba, Daly, Darcy have totally unorthodox positions and swings - now I won’t loses the run of myself , none of them – top a 3 wood, have a duck hook , then follow it with a slice.

The only positive – I’ve sort of, have to accept what I got at this stage, I know I’m not going to have a lovely swing , be a solid consistent low handicap player , I’m going to be a lad that can go out and have a 74 one day and 84 the next – I’ll never look like a real low player. I watched a scratch player the other day, so much composer, solid stance, perfect tempo, very slow in everything, looks the part. I’m still a stand up and trash it and see what happens player. It just seems all wrong for where my game is supposed to be.

Anyway – I’ve had time to reflect on why I’m scoring well at the moment. A couple of rounds in the 2 to 4 over range.

My distance with driver when not hooking – is placing me in my strong area – 9 iron to 5 iron. The wind and low temperature carry, ironically enough, is placing me in the place I like to be. 190 to 130 yards.

This means – I’m hitting many greens and bypassing the short game. When I do miss a green – I’m using a putter or a 9 iron – as I can do this on links. It is, sort of a way of scoring – but very limited and very exposed when things change a little or the short game comes into play.

I’m good from bunkers – but have little or no game from 30 to 80 yards – I can hit the odd full S/W well. Very unusual game for a low handicap player – ok I’ve said it, I’m a low handicap player now – just feels very strange to still say that.

I decided to look at what is happening in this weak area – 80 to 30, just the inconsistency in strike, divot and in particular, divot depth is ridiculous, now this is an issue over all my clubs, but on the more delicate – not full power shots – the impact of this is dramatic – disappointing and if being honest , very embarrassing.

Besides that, I’ve also started missing short ones again - basically not enough work in this area – and I can fix this, as did at end of last year.

So that seems very negative – but to me it is a positive , for so long I was going along and not knowing if I was doing the right thing or exactly where the work is needed.

If I go out and work on short game for 1 month – I think I can get another big cut by end of April.

With the weather and wind – early year cuts are a real target for me.
    All the winter work – the games in wild weather – the doubts – the balls hit – the rain. You then go out and you have one of your best rounds ever, it still gives you that little buzz, the ability to still surprise yourself is a beautiful thing in golf. I hope I have that feeling a few more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Congratulations on hitting the new low Fix. Maybe you need to drop the quest to be this guy Fix (though would be nice to be making the putts) :)

Read this article recently & found it interesting.

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/deliberate-practice-an-example-lesson/

I always want to experience new things in golf - so after my recent good golf, I felt something was around the corner. :D

Didn't know it was the shanks - yes, have never had them before and hit 2 of them in a round last week and then 4 this week , then another 3 and about 12 at range. :eek:
    Fascinating experience, particularly if they are totally new.

After big cuts , I tend to take the foot off the pedal and play poor for a while after, but this is hilarious.
    Not sure if it I mental - feel I'm standing too close to the ball a little restricted in the body and not getting hips moving.

Got out today in the awful conditions (rain and gale) and at least was 2 over for 6 (great in weather) , with just one poor poor almost top swing. Had an eagle putt on first. This is a hole I will be targeting eagles this year , but thinking about eagles and shanks, is like the current mix we have trying to form a government with.

So in the next few weeks - I'm going to have the biggest break I have had from the game in 4 years. (about 3 weeks holiday).
    Not sure how that will go - a break is no harm , let the foot come off the pedal and come back 100 % again.
    I bet I probably sniff a course out somewhere.

Jesus the weather is Bad - I think when you are hitting shanks , you see easier how bad the weather is, you see how crazy you are to be out playing golf a bit more.

This game is never mastered , when you think you have it, when you gain control, when you see the shots easy - it is so easily taken away.

Yes - time for a break, time to see other places and ideas.

PS. Was just thinking on the course today about a few years ago.
    I was at the ACC in Sligo, the 2 lads I was with in a 3 man team got the shanks - about a day each, It was funny for me as I had never had them. It was devastating for the team score :D

I was in the boozer that night , Gilroy's Enniscrone, craic was unreal. I was talking to a fairly cocky lad off 5/6 - I was a very insecure 6 (still am) at the time, I told him about my team and our problems with the shanks - he said to me straight up - "I'd get new team mates and wouldn't play with them" , (lol) - I was laughing and said straight up to him - " real golfers are ****". (:D)

I hope not to be like that at some stage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Don't mention that word ever again

• Advertisement

Otherwise known as the unmentionables.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

best of luck suppressing those fúckers Fix

I had one around 4 years ago and it still haunts me when I have to play a full PW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Got them before on a cracking course I wanted to play for years (pga in naas) worse thing was I was smashing the driver leaving wedges in (was in a society) and it came out of the blue with my wedges still get the shivers thinking about it!!

I could sort it and had to get a lesson turned out to be something simple that I never did before cant remember now and to be honest dont want too :D

Glad you can laugh about it Fix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Try having them for two seasons as a young lad. Jesus that was a hard two years. Broke my bloody heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

For some strange reason I get them a lot in the range off mats with shorter clubs..especially playing pitches.

Thankfully (touch wood, drop to knee and pray etc) they don't follow me to the course usually. Is annoying though as means I can't really practice my pitching unless I can get to a course or at least some grass bays

• Advertisement

Playing after 6 pm today - and two rounds without "The word that cannot be spoken" :)" - in fact, signs of the form I had coming back. The driver is suddenly one of the best clubs in the bag - long in fairway, leaving 8 iron down in.

Trying to fit in as much (golf) work as possible, before the school breaks / holidays etc.

Hit the short game area for 2 hours for the first time this season - yes, I know; it has been cold and horrible the last while - but, for what I'm trying to do, you can't be going to the short game area for the first time in mid March. I know that is normal for most golfers - but , I only have 7 months to go. It is the plan to hit the early season in full form. In fairness , I've done well to almost do that already, I know I'm not sharp yet - but I am in the best shape I have been this early in year.

I decided to take an honest look at my dreaded area of 80 to 30 yards. I use a SW in this area and it has a bounce of 12. I'm a real digger with the wedge and this leads to very inconsistent strikes , I've tried everything from down the grip, stance width, lower to ground wider draw back, stand tall, ball forward/back , weight distribution - it just ends up being too many ways with so many variables - I just need to spend a few days/weeks at it, or money with a pro. I also think the ground hardening up helps all my game - It also gives me too many easy options along the ground on links courses (putter - 9 iron etc).

With ball a little more towards left foot and a sort of shallowing of my angle of attack - I can get results to the one distance (say 50 y), the i do find the high bounce then gives me problems with this swing - but when I hit one to 30 yards by changing grip positions - I find it hard to get the 50 yard set up perfect.

Aaaahhhh - it is all excuses in a way - If I went out and hit 2000 to 3000 wedges , I think I would get it , by shear dog headed determination. "Just Do It" - as Nike said.

But with this game, sometimes you need external help, you need a 3rd eye , you need a sounding board. It would transform a very weak part of my game if I could get it right. I will get it , but it is looking like mid to late April for this work - will help when the evenings come in.

On the long game - a hook is coming in when I don't give myself time to get inside - but , I know with my disconnection - this is something I will never solve - but reduce recurrence and diminish impact is a realistic goal.

Overall great signs - If I could sort 3 things - I could get serious places in late April / early May - In order
    • Short Putts (inside 4 feet)
    • Wedges
    • Snap Hook

The positive is , the first 2 there are not exactly the hardest part of the game, well they shouldn't be - will just take good old fashioned , hard graft, sore hands and blisters.

It is exciting stuff , I can see a par/near par round or lower in early May (But we know golf is never that simple :D)

Not sure where this burst of positivity has come from - nice change , something in the drink, the evening light, or perhaps just seeing the ball do what you expect it to do - more often.

I'll post when this something good in theory, actually materialises. :D

A big break from the game for me, 3 weeks.

Was an incredible few weeks in the Caribbean and one of them times in life you use to reset things. Career, life, golf, family, goals.

You have much time to think when the sea is perfect and warm, the sunsets are memorable. You are reminded that the worries we have in the first world are totally and utterly irrelevant when you see the daily struggle people have in a developing country.

We underestimate our freedoms and wealth, the ridiculousness of worrying about golf and handicaps and the shanks.

So back to worrying about the shanks. I was hoping by using enough rum and food to change everything in my body and mind - I would come back to a person not able to hit a shank, how wrong was I !

A couple of games since back and I'm hitting about 3 shanks a round - I did manage a practice round today, without a shank. This is really crazy, because anyone who has played with me, knows that me shanking a say mid iron, is very very unusual , touching on never happened before.

Anyway - is funny, but at some point it will not be funny as my handicap is going up quick and I'm also hooking everything.

So strange times, If something doesn't happen quick - I'll be off to a pro - this was not part of the plan for this part of the season.

Anyway - no need for panic - because the worst thing you can do about shanks is worry about shanks. :D

If all fails - I will think of that trade wind over perfect turquoise sea.

It is only a game, it is only our hobby.
    (Or is that head in sand)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Was an incredible few weeks in the Caribbean and one of them times in life you use to reset things. Career, life, golf, family, goals.

You have much time to think when the sea is perfect and warm, the sunsets are memorable. You are reminded that the worries we have in the first world are totally and utterly irrelevant when you see the daily struggle people have in a developing country.

We underestimate our freedoms and wealth, the ridiculousness of worrying about golf and handicaps and the shanks.

So back to worrying about the shanks. I was hoping by using enough rum and food to change everything in my body and mind - I would come back to a person not able to hit a shank, how wrong was I !

A couple of games since back and I'm hitting about 3 shanks a round - I did manage a practice round today, without a shank. This is really crazy, because anyone who has played with me, knows that me shanking a say mid iron, is very very unusual , touching on never happened before.

Anyway - is funny, but at some point it will not be funny as my handicap is going up quick and I'm also hooking everything.

So strange times, If something doesn't happen quick - I'll be off to a pro - this was not part of the plan for this part of the season.

Anyway - no need for panic - because the worst thing you can do about shanks is worry about shanks. :D

I am currently enduring a 6 month dose of the shanks myself! Nowhere near as low a handicapper as you but still it is infuriating and saps the confidence. I think I'm standing too close to the ball. My Pro thinks it's my hands coming out of the way down.

All I know is if I'm a little further away they don't come out any more so that's what I'm going with!

We underestimate our freedoms and wealth, the ridiculousness of worrying about golf and handicaps and the censored.

So back to worrying about the shanks. I was hoping by using enough rum and food to change everything in my body and mind - I would come back to a person not able to hit a censored, how wrong was I !

A couple of games since back and I'm hitting about 3 shanks a round - I did manage a practice round today, without a censored. This is really crazy, because anyone who has played with me, knows that me censored a say mid iron, is very very unusual , touching on never happened before.

Anyway - no need for panic - because the worst thing you can do about shanks is worry about censored. :D

Fixde(sic) that for you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slingerz wrote: »
    I am currently enduring a 6 month dose of the shanks myself! Nowhere near as low a handicapper as you but still it is infuriating and saps the confidence. I think I'm standing too close to the ball. My Pro thinks it's my hands coming out of the way down.

All I know is if I'm a little further away they don't come out any more so that's what I'm going with!

When I was about 17 years old, I went through them for 3-4 months. Like you, standing a little further away/Lining the ball up with the toe of the club and then I found I was hitting it out of the middle. So i was also probably throwing my weight forward as well.

What you need to get back is confidence and when your confidence is back, you'll naturally get back to your normal swing and everything will be right again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I went through 9 months of them last year and almost back to double figures. Drive straight down the middle, 9 iron out of bounds, rinse and repeat.

Balance, too much from inside, throwing shoulders at ball, heard everything. I think it was a combination of several factors that made me do it and thus harder to fix.

Finally shook them by learning to intentionally hit the ball out of the toe of my irons (DON'T address at the toe). Once I could do that I could then hit it out of the middle, comfortable in the knowledge that if they started I could just move to the toe again for the next few shots. Once I knew I could do that, I stopped hitting them.

Anyone who asks "Are you standing too close to the ball?" is worthy of a full 6-iron in the behind, if not a 5. Fully released through impact. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The words shank should be added to the swear filter on boards, even just seeing the word gives me the jitters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I can 100% guarantee a <censored> when at the range and trying to pitch off mats.
    It's uncanny. Thankfully (touch loads of wood) it doesn't follow me to the course.
    I reckon if I was trying to intentionally do it I wouldn't be able :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Never had it before until last month after I read fix's post, then it started very next day. Can this thread be locked or removed or something? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Because of your blatant overuse of the word shank, you are destined to be cursed with the shanks for the rest of your life, :pac::D, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rikand wrote: »
    When I was about 17 years old, I went through them for 3-4 months. Like you, standing a little further away/Lining the ball up with the toe of the club and then I found I was hitting it out of the middle. So i was also probably throwing my weight forward as well.

What you need to get back is confidence and when your confidence is back, you'll naturally get back to your normal swing and everything will be right again :)

your bang on with regards to confidence i found mine was shot completely. lessons seem to have made the <censored/> worse as well.

Simply standing further away is going to be my modus operandi for the moment anyway
    newport2 wrote: »
    I went through 9 months of them last year and almost back to double figures. Drive straight down the middle, 9 iron out of bounds, rinse and repeat.

Balance, too much from inside, throwing shoulders at ball, heard everything. I think it was a combination of several factors that made me do it and thus harder to fix.

Finally shook them by learning to intentionally hit the ball out of the toe of my irons (DON'T address at the toe). Once I could do that I could then hit it out of the middle, comfortable in the knowledge that if they started I could just move to the toe again for the next few shots. Once I knew I could do that, I stopped hitting them.

Anyone who asks "Are you standing too close to the ball?" is worthy of a full 6-iron in the behind, if not a 5. Fully released through impact. :D

Learning to hit out of the toe seems to be a longer term solution really! standing further back from the ball seems a lot simpler and quicker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Learning to hit out of the toe seems to be a longer term solution really! standing further back from the ball seems a lot simpler and quicker!

I wanted a long term solution, believe me!

Standing further away only helps if you are already standing too close to the ball, which a lot of people with this condition are not. If you are standing correctly already and something else is pushing your club-head heel closer to the ball at impact then you've just introduced an additional setup error to get around an existing and still unaddressed swing flaw. Plus standing further away will probably cause you to swing on a flatter plane which is not good for this condition.

Anyway, I didn't say the word and I'm not going to think/talk/write/read about this topic any more. Good luck with sorting it out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Simply standing further away is going to be my modus operandi for the moment anyway

I've gone through some wicked spells of the unmentionables last year and the year prior and wouldn't wish them on the cheaters in the game even. They're truly confidence destroying shots with devastating consequences to one's score.

Golf is one frustrating sport and no more so than when faced with the debilitating disease of the censored. As such I'd akin standing further away from the ball as a band aid which is unlikely to be effective on such a sever infection and in some cases make them even worse.
    I've gone through different stages of them over the years and each time was something different so you really need professional help to prevent guess work and unnecessary tampering with your swing. Once you know the specific cause your confidence will automatically increase and you can then concentrate on fixing the issue without wasting time on trial and error and always watching what's out at a 45 degree angle to the ball.

:D

Loving the posts - I show an incredible level of naivety at times in certain areas of golf for a lad trying to get to the handicap I'm trying to. I didn't know people were so serious about not even mentioning the unmentionables. :P

I'm actually enjoying it :p, the fear, the challenge, the uncertainty of it all :D - I'll come back to you in 3 weeks and my song may have changed. :o

Got out today for 14 - played without one shank , I'm beginning to think it was an over the top action if that is possible ?

I seem to be bringing the ball back around from the pull and concentrating on a little drop into slot prior to attacking ball.

I played well but scored horrendously (8 over for 14) - everything is just rusty, I have faith - I did sense I was trying to stand further from the ball - but I'm also working on swing path - so the hazards mentioned above of changing too much is true.

Anyway - today wasn't about score - it was about rebuilding.
    All good :D

DO NOT CLICK

Going out to buy these if things not sorted in 3 weeks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2016-F2-SE-ANTI-SHANK-IRONS-4-PW-STEEL-SHAFTS-NONE-SHANK-GOLF-CLUBS-/331775840628

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm actually enjoying it .

You are a strange strange man fixde!! Only person I ever heard to say they enjoy having the unmentionable!

Suffered them early last year with my wedges, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Tongue in cheek Shauna. :)

Tongue in cheek !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Tongue in cheek Shauna. :)

Tongue in cheek !

I'd wanna hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

:D

Loving the posts - I show an incredible level of naivety at times in certain areas of golf for a lad trying to get to the handicap I'm trying to. I didn't know people were so serious about not even mentioning the unmentionables. :P

I'm actually enjoying it :p, the fear, the challenge, the uncertainty of it all :D - I'll come back to you in 3 weeks and my song may have changed. :o

Got out today for 14 - played without one shank , I'm beginning to think it was an over the top action if that is possible ?

I seem to be bringing the ball back around from the pull and concentrating on a little drop into slot prior to attacking ball.

I played well but scored horrendously (8 over for 14) - everything is just rusty, I have faith - I did sense I was trying to stand further from the ball - but I'm also working on swing path - so the hazards mentioned above of changing too much is true.

Anyway - today wasn't about score - it was about rebuilding.
    All good :D

DO NOT CLICK

Going out to buy these if things not sorted in 3 weeks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2016-F2-SE-ANTI-SHANK-IRONS-4-PW-STEEL-SHAFTS-NONE-SHANK-GOLF-CLUBS-/331775840628

Anything is possible Fix, as the old saying goes, there are a hundred and one ways to hit a shank, but the end result is the same.
    It usually is easily sorted with a visit to your pro and it helps if he utilises a launch monitor and high speed camera, but for some they prefer to suffer in silence;):pac:

Whatever (9,999)

• Advertisement

So got out for 14 today, at times it was horrible squally showers and a hard cross wind, then a sudden burst of calmness at times. I was 6 over for first 7 (had a lost ball) – but level for the next 7. So a run of decent golf with not even a hint of a shank. I hit one bad drive and one bad 5 iron, but besides that, there were signs of a game coming back. Last hole 170 yards into a cross wind, I hit a perfect 6 iron to 20 feet and holed it – played that hole, in conditions, about as well as I can or ever will play golf.

Two more rounds and my game should be there.

This post marks a daft post – 10,000 posts on boards and 99 % were total rubbish. It has been fun, but an awful waste of time and effort (lol). I have met some terrific people and had incredible golfing experiences as a result.
    If I had taken a putt, for every one of those posts, what would my handicap be now?

I’ve enjoyed the last few years on here. I learnt so much about a game I knew very little about really. I loved golf, but was very inexperienced. You realise how important experience in golf is, when you have a bit of it. The great thing about golf is how you can almost always improve once the body holds up. Even if the body fails, you can be clever with your game too.

During the week I watched a bit of J.B Carr (over 60 interclub), I genuinely found it inspiring, guys over 60 still having fun, but being competitive. It reminded me what the game is about, friendship, fun and exercise. Chasing scores and targets in golf can be somewhat perfunctory.

If you play golf, just to improve all the time, it sort of misses the point. I guarantee that, the men of 60 + were not turning to each other going, do you remember the time that you were off 9, or do you remember the time you had a 78.

I was listening and talking to them, they were talking about life, getting away with the lads, having a few pints after, the wisdoms that young people need about the world and the insignificance of some of the concerns that you have, become all too apparent.

The flag at the clubhouse was once again at half-mast today.

So this will definitely be the last golf project I take on – I’ve done enough, said enough, practiced enough, tried enough, written enough, thought enough, doubted enough, achieved enough (after this target).

At times during the last few years, I realised that my ability in this game was very limited, the amount of effort I had to put in was way too much and time consuming. I enjoyed the challenge and it was nice when easy progress was there to be made.

But you get to a point – when you see that you are very very close or at your limits.

At times in the various projects to improve, I was wondering why I was pushing it so far, I realised I was trying to prove something to someone, but in reality, there is no someone – it is just your inner self.

Now – there is not a chance in hell I am throwing the towel in – I have 5 months, I accept I am speaking the language of weakness, this in reality can be the start of a downfall in golf.

But, acceptance and being happy with your game is a point in time that with the dreaded experience, you realise is a beautiful and delicate moment.
    So, I’ve clearly had time to reflect lately about it all – you sort of realise that once you have made yourself happy with your game, that is it, that is the real secret to enjoy this incredibly brilliant sport. A game for life, a game that gives you your little space on the earth, when you can be with friends or get away from it all.

When the flag is at half mast, you don’t go, do you remember that 6 iron he hit into 18. You go, he was a great Dad, friend, he was good company, good fun, he loved his golf.

So for all the practice and chasing scores – it is the time by the ocean with close friends and a few pints after I will remember about this game. The seas, the sounds, the sights, the sun.

A number is just a number.

(10,000) :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

So got out for 14 today, at times it was horrible squally showers and a hard cross wind, then a sudden burst of calmness at times. I was 6 over for first 7 (had a lost ball) – but level for the next 7. So a run of decent golf with not even a hint of a shank. I hit one bad drive and one bad 5 iron, but besides that, there were signs of a game coming back. Last hole 170 yards into a cross wind, I hit a perfect 6 iron to 20 feet and holed it – played that hole, in conditions, about as well as I can or ever will play golf.

Two more rounds and my game should be there.

This post marks a daft post – 10,000 posts on boards and 99 % were total rubbish. It has been fun, but an awful waste of time and effort (lol). I have met some terrific people and had incredible golfing experiences as a result.
    If I had taken a putt, for every one of those posts, what would my handicap be now?

I’ve enjoyed the last few years on here. I learnt so much about a game I knew very little about really. I loved golf, but was very inexperienced. You realise how important experience in golf is, when you have a bit of it. The great thing about golf is how you can almost always improve once the body holds up. Even if the body fails, you can be clever with your game too.

During the week I watched a bit of J.B Carr (over 60 interclub), I genuinely found it inspiring, guys over 60 still having fun, but being competitive. It reminded me what the game is about, friendship, fun and exercise. Chasing scores and targets in golf can be somewhat perfunctory.

If you play golf, just to improve all the time, it sort of misses the point. I guarantee that, the men of 60 + were not turning to each other going, do you remember the time that you were off 9, or do you remember the time you had a 78.

I was listening and talking to them, they were talking about life, getting away with the lads, having a few pints after, the wisdoms that young people need about the world and the insignificance of some of the concerns that you have, become all too apparent.

The flag at the clubhouse was once again at half-mast today.

So this will definitely be the last golf project I take on – I’ve done enough, said enough, practiced enough, tried enough, written enough, thought enough, doubted enough, achieved enough (after this target).

At times during the last few years, I realised that my ability in this game was very limited, the amount of effort I had to put in was way too much and time consuming. I enjoyed the challenge and it was nice when easy progress was there to be made.

But you get to a point – when you see that you are very very close or at your limits.

At times in the various projects to improve, I was wondering why I was pushing it so far, I realised I was trying to prove something to someone, but in reality, there is no someone – it is just your inner self.

Now – there is not a chance in hell I am throwing the towel in – I have 5 months, I accept I am speaking the language of weakness, this in reality can be the start of a downfall in golf.

But, acceptance and being happy with your game is a point in time that with the dreaded experience, you realise is a beautiful and delicate moment.
    So, I’ve clearly had time to reflect lately about it all – you sort of realise that once you have made yourself happy with your game, that is it, that is the real secret to enjoy this incredibly brilliant sport. A game for life, a game that gives you your little space on the earth, when you can be with friends or get away from it all.

When the flag is at half mast, you don’t go, do you remember that 6 iron he hit into 18. You go, he was a great Dad, friend, he was good company, good fun, he loved his golf.

So for all the practice and chasing scores – it is the time by the ocean with close friends and a few pints after I will remember about this game. The seas, the sounds, the sights, the sun.

A number is just a number.

(10,000) :D:o

Well written post and everything but God you're not dying or anything!

To be honest what you wrote there is something I couldn't identify with in terms of golf really, I play to get better and I think the day I stop trying to get better is when I'd quit the game. Don't get me wrong I love playing with my friends and having a bit of craic on the course and I've made some great friends through golf but first and foremost the most thing I enjoy about golf is trying to get better at it and to constantly try to improve.

I often question whether I'll be motivated to play when I reach an age where I just realise that I'm not going to be able to improve any further. I suppose the chances are by the time I've reached that age my priorities will probably have changed a nice bit and I may play golf more for the social aspect than the competitive aspect like I do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good man Fix.

Enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

And only 5000 of them were look at me threads Fix:):):)

Here's to the next 10,000. Great reads.Keep it up:)

I love this game.

Out today in gale and rain. Played out of my skin and had my best round of year . Got up and down from everywhere and everything.

Back to 4.

Life in the old dog yet.

So things have not gone well the last month or so - The irony is I have been at my lowest handicap - but I just haven't being doing much right.

I just could put my finger on it. (or get a grip of it)

Ball striking was poor - short game poor - but my game will fall apart if my mid game is poor and it was - I just couldn't hit a mid to low iron well at all - it just all felt awful.

I was thinking of back to lessons - what is wrong - but at this point in the game you think you can work your own problems out ?

But tonight I found something - I know it was at the range, and a range find is only as good as your next score , but this was a serious find.

I have been under a bit of pressure in a few parts of real life outside of golf. I'm not sure if this was contributory - but.

On the range I did a sort of nct - what is it , suddenly I could feel how tense my grip was - it was actually painful. This tension was in arms - almost full upper body.

I remembered all the old tips about holding the grip like a tube of toothpaste - I'm not sure I ever believed them, I almost had them in the cupboard of the old pro tips (but must by truth in some of them)

Anyway - the next 30 balls , were a pleasure , that buttery feeling of a perfect iron - the ball speed and strike seemed effortless.

Now it could be the new golf idea placebo - the sort of swing idea that distracts you from your inner 22 swing thoughts.

So at end - did same for driver - perfect drives that looked much longer.

Then - I said ok - a draw around the 160 pole , a fade, a draw, a fade, :eek: (all perfect)

I was gifted with that feeling of perfect control and perfect strike and the ball on a string - it is a short time in this game you get that - was an incredible buzz.

It couldn't be just the grip - but if you find something go with it.
    :p

• Advertisement

So after the terror, pain and laughs of two months of shanks and snap hooks, over the top swings – something happened between the dreams and the nightmares.

Well, very worryingly – for a while and justifiably, I sort of gave up. I went ok, you have had an amazing run – won many times in the last 18 months – had an under par “practice round” - had a few on the edge of level and had eagles, a hole in one, and an amazing time.

But – when you think like that it is a slippery slope. In fairness – I know I’m near the very very limits now – I just don’t have a consistent action, swing, or approach to the game to be a very low player – I have determination, time and effort – but , sadly, that only gets you so far. When you see real low players – they have something else. It is hard to define that in a generality – so the word is “class” – when we lack measurable parameters, we have simple words that define sport, skill and life.

And – By limits what do I mean ? – when, I entered this thread and formal handicapped golf about 3 years ago – I was told by a friend on here (is possible to have a friend on here (lol)) – that I was extraordinarily naïve about the handicap system. I found that very cynical and saddened me a bit. People go on about your prize being your handicap – I hate that concept.

When I was younger – it was about winning, winning everything you could. It sort of is something that is me – I’ve let that go a little and see the joy in playing the game for fun. But we all know that cynical friend of mine has a point – sadly there is such a thing as a “ good 14”, “a good 16”, “ a good 4”.
    This sadly was confirmed to me the other day, when I had the pleasure of playing with a man in his 80s off 14. Terrific golfer. All his distance gone by age and sickness, but a determination to be the lowest golfer he will be for every day of his life. It was a privilege to play with him.

I asked him about the game – he said “golf is ****ed” – “Why Paul ? “ . “Well golf was about me and you coming down here and competing equally and a man of my age could play with a young man like you and enjoy playing with a low player on an equal footing. I said what do you mean – “ the prizes are too big” , some people see picking up winnings is what the game is about. “Jaysus Paul I said – that is a bit sad” – “ well see that ****er there “ – “ yes (Had walked in , in bad weather)” . “ He had 12 points after 4 holes – and can hit the ball 270 yards and is off 21” – he picks big events, wins them and it is all a joke.

It saddened me a bit – why would a man that age care anyway , he reminded me of myself to be honest – But for me the handicap system has worked – I won lots, but know my days of winning are going to be few and far between now. Well - I don't know that for sure yet.

(sorry that was a massive digression)

Anyway ; What was I saying………
    Yes my game turned -I just started scoring – it wasn’t nice scoring, but it was scoring. Sort of embarrassing golf for a single figure player, no, not sort of embarrassing, was very – honestly could do anything on a course from nail a 5 iron to 6 feet to shank – top – mi**** – almost miss it (“****”). But was making loads of putts and getting up and down from hell, 4/5 times a round. I was even getting up and down from shanks :D - the shanks were great for my short game :p

Then about 2 weeks ago there was a turn. I sort of opened up everything, got a single swing idea of inside in my head – and bang, some of the best shots in ages. Now – too much inside is trouble too – but seems to be a better place for me. With the air heating up and course firming up – the ball is genuinely going miles ( I mean 300 yards with run etc – a couple out to 320:eek:), People say distance means nothing - but the amount of birds I’m getting has doubled. The confidence a few birds gives to a round is amazing – this game can turn on that. Eagle puts coming up way more – two days in a row missed by an inch – tap in birds are easy and fun.

But that was not just it – I started making putts – too, lots of them – from about 10 feet to 3. My weak area. Just started concentrating way way more on hole and forgot about bloody path and arms and face angle and big breaks that are not there. The hole high side or low side bang.

And I’m still having horror shots – embarrassing, terrible stuff. Still can’t play from 90 to 30 yards. But in the 70s all the time now and 75 or less more often.
    And the cuts are coming – now off 3.9 without having a great round – good scoring and that, but not a great rounds.

I have to say there is something satisfying about that figure – I’m 1.5 away from target – far way to go at the teriible rate of 0.1s , but feel something big is on the way. (under par round or something) . I may not look “class” – but that would be class for me.

"a bad 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Nice post Fixde, if you said to me, you won't win another prize for the next 5 yrs but I'd get down to 5. I'd take the right arm off you. Unfortunately not everyone wants their HC to go down.
    Another thing that creeps up in your posts is the look of the swing. You like this, the science of the modern golf is now saying it's all about impact. We'd all like to swing the club like Adam Scott but fortunately we are all different. Your scoring well and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you hit 18 GIR or got up and down 18/18. No pictures on the scorecard. Keep it going.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Nice post Fixde, if you said to me, you won't win another prize for the next 5 yrs but I'd get down to 5. I'd take the right arm off you. Unfortunately not everyone wants their HC to go down.
    Another thing that creeps up in your posts is the look of the swing. You like this, the science of the modern golf is now saying it's all about impact. We'd all like to swing the club like Adam Scott but fortunately we are all different. Your scoring well and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you hit 18 GIR or got up and down 18/18. No pictures on the scorecard. Keep it going.

Thanks Ben,
    I am cognisant of that - but,,,,,,,,,,,

Of course I know I'm never going to be a classical golfer - but behind that , we need to understand what causes our very very bad shots. If you have a very disconnected swing that is inconsistent - you are never going to be a low player.
    Yes live with your swing , but understand what causes the real bad one that causes a 7/8.

Being low is about being consistent too - I'm generally scoring low by overpowering a course, playing well on certain courses in a certain way. Yes it will get you a low handicap - but this is nearly a debate for a full thread.

I think you can get to a low handicap in a certain way - ( I know that is a little perhaps controversial).

But - I think there are different types of low players. Maybe one for a pint to talk over.

Hard to explain.

Like on here - people go on and on about short game and putting - I think that is a total lack of understanding of certain types of games and the importance of the long and mid game for some. If you hit GIRs - you don't need a short game at all.

Another days debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Like on here - people go on and on about short game and putting - I think that is a total lack of understanding of certain types of games and the importance of the long and mid game for some. If you hit GIRs - you don't need a short game at all.

Another days debate.

100% agree with this. Started tracking my shots over the last five or six rounds and was shocked by the correlation between solid driving and good scores for me. My chipping has been quite good and i'll get up and down (or take two putts) almost all the time from around the green but found that days where I was missing off the tee it was impossible for me to get around in anything other than to my handicap. Played yesterday from the back tees in my club and was spraying the driver for the first 11 holes and made bogey on each all the way round. Last 7 I was able to turn the driver on and just by virtue of hitting solid drives suddenly went on a run of pars and finished off 12 over. Went out this morning and played nine but hit every fairway with good distance and was one over because I hit 6 greens in reg. For me when I look thru the notebook at the shots i've hit it's clear that the long and mid games are they keys for me to score well rather than chipping and putting

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Thanks Ben,
    I am cognisant of that - but,,,,,,,,,,,

Of course I know I'm never going to be a classical golfer - but behind that , we need to understand what causes our very very bad shots. If you have a very disconnected swing that is inconsistent - you are never going to be a low player.
    Yes live with your swing , but understand what causes the real bad one that causes a 7/8.

Being low is about being consistent too - I'm generally scoring low by overpowering a course, playing well on certain courses in a certain way. Yes it will get you a low handicap - but this is nearly a debate for a full thread.

I think you can get to a low handicap in a certain way - ( I know that is a little perhaps controversial).

But - I think there are different types of low players. Maybe one for a pint to talk over.

Hard to explain.

Another days debate.

Agree totally with you on the consistency and overpowering courses. Your right there are many low guys but the ones that get down and stay down have a better consistency in all areas, swing tempo, short game, those horrible middle shots. It does look very easy to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement