Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It's sad really, not one person is willing to give Sherwood an iota of credit.

Sherwood's decision to bring Adebayor back into the fold wasn't his only astute decision. Look at Bentaleb, he didn't even get near the subs bench under AVB, yet Sherwood has brought him into the team and he has been a revelation at times. Look at Eriksen, he looked awful under AVB, but now that he has been given the freedom to express himself, he has quietly been putting in some excellent performance and racking up goals/assists. Look at Chadli, under AVB, I thought he might have been one of the worst transfers of the season, under Sherwood though, he has showed a bit of handy improvement. The players as a whole look a lot happier on the field, no whinging to the media like they did under AVB. Even when they got tonked by City, they were actually competitive until the sending off.

I agree with this post completely . I mean people even saw the pictures of Adebayor laughing at his own team after the LFC v Spurs game . The man has obviously come in and put a lot of spirit back into the squad . So I think he does deserve all the credit for them playing well and playing as a team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

1779251_10152176222091132_1208749377_n.jpg

Even though he has been injured, its positive to see that Enrique is having an influence on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Also,

Wooooo!

I think we could've handled a draw or even a loss yesterday - we still would've been firm favourites for 4th.

But a win opens up so many possibilities.

In order to win the title we'll need to beat all the rest of the teams in the top 7 and, I think, actually improve our results against all the rest of the league.

It's an incredibly tall order.

Getting fourth would be an utterly colossal job well done by the team.

Any higher than fourth should result in the team being showered in money and tits. Better than I even dreamed of at the start of the season.

Come what may this team has put in a huge shift this year so far. Job's far from done but we've been so good that I actually feel confident that the team won't **** this opportunity up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Spurs fixtures :
    Norwich Away
    Cardiff Home
    Chelsea Away
    Arsenal Home
    Southampton Home
    Liverpool Away

Chelsea/Arsenal/Us ... there are no easy fixtures there even though you'd expect them to beat Cardiff at home. That will separate the men from the boys ... that said with all the CL fixtures coming as well, i'd hope we can catch Arsenal who have these fixtures : Sunderland/Stoke/Swansea/Spurs/Chelsea ...

Fulham giving a good account of themselves just shows there will be NO easy games especially away from home. Lets not worry about anyone. Let them worry about us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Whilst Kolo has made a couple of serious mistakes that have led to goals, he has generally played very well over the last few weeks.

I don't understand why so many people are writing off Spurs because of Sherwood? What do they really know about the guy?? From what I can see he is doing a pretty damn good job.

We have spent many hours debating the midfield in this thread over the last few months. Gerrard and Lucas. Some people claimed Lucas was the problem and some claimed it was all Gerrard's fault. Some people claimed there was no way Gerrard could play DM and by doing so we were saying good bye to CL?? Opinions now, have they changed at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Lots of pops at utd and lads posting in their thread... I'd hold off till seasons end personally and even then, let's not become them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

From last week:
    1. Chelsea: +6
    2. Arsenal: +4
    3. City: +3
    4. Liverpool: 0
    5. Spurs: -3
    6. Everton: -5
    7. United -9.5

Updated:

1. Chelsea: +5
    2. Arsenal: +3
    3. City: +3
    4. Liverpool: +1
    5. Spurs: -2
    6. Everton: -5
    7. United -9.5

This table becomes useful when teams have played different amounts of games, because you can win and lose points here, so it's all the same really. City and Everton aren't really at a disadvantage here, there 1 game less is kind of factored in.

To be on +1 is great - I'm pretty sure this is the highest we've been since I started this table.

However, we've been close to this total before, so we shouldn't feel too optimistic. Spurs are right behind us on -2, suggesting we have no advantage on them in terms of fixture difficulty at the moment.

I was hoping that 73 points or so would be enough to take 4th and we had some room to slip a couple of points below this target.

But that was when I was still viewing United as the main competition.

Sherwood's Spurs has surprised me and I won't quite be joining in with the unbridled optimism and bravado on here until they drop away again. They've been poor for huge parts of the season and have managed to sneak wins, so I'm worried now that they seem to be playing well and scoring goals.

I usually am quite optimistic in my write-ups on these tables, but today I'm injecting a dose of realism/pessimism!

On the upside, just 2 points behind Arsenal here rather than 3 in the real table, so technically closer to 3rd than 5th if you put any credence into this table

Have I missed Morzadec's table??

I enjoyed txting some friends that are UTD fans laughing at the fact that they were -9, as you can imagine they had no idea what I was on about.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's sad really, not one person is willing to give Sherwood an iota of credit.

Sherwood's decision to bring Adebayor back into the fold wasn't his only astute decision. Look at Bentaleb, he didn't even get near the subs bench under AVB, yet Sherwood has brought him into the team and he has been a revelation at times. Look at Eriksen, he looked awful under AVB, but now that he has been given the freedom to express himself, he has quietly been putting in some excellent performance and racking up goals/assists. Look at Chadli, under AVB, I thought he might have been one of the worst transfers of the season, under Sherwood though, he has showed a bit of handy improvement. The players as a whole look a lot happier on the field, no whinging to the media like they did under AVB. Even when they got tonked by City, they were actually competitive until the sending off.

That's not true, it's been established they're playing well and are a threat to us.

As I've said, many managers, good or bad have had honeymoon periods when taking over a job. He's only in the job a couple of months. Let's see where Sherwood's Spurs are in 8-12 months time. Will Adebayor sign a new contract, get his pay day and revert back to being a lazy enigma? Will Eriksen revert back to his disappearing act after half a few good games if even that which is he's reknowned for? Chadli? Meh. AVB's made mistakes, but it's far too early to lavish heaps of praise on cheeky chappy, media darling Sherwood.

• Advertisement

Moyes tactics are evolving. Be afraid, very afraid..

BgTVr6ECQAAMbZ7.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Top Scorers

23Suarez(Liverpool)
    16Sturridge(Liverpool)
    15Agüero(Man City)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    That's not true, it's been established they're playing well and are a threat to us.

As I've said, many managers, good or bad have had honeymoon periods when taking over a job. He's only in the job a couple of months. Let's see where Sherwood's Spurs are in 8-12 months time. Will Adebayor sign a new contract, get his pay day and revert back to being a lazy enigma? Will Eriksen revert back to his disappearing act after half a few good games if even that which is he's reknowned for? Chadli? Meh. AVB's made mistakes, but it's far too early to lavish heaps of praise on cheeky chappy, media darling Sherwood.

I'll give him credit if he delivers a Top4 place ... other than that he is doing as i'd expect a squad assembled for that type of money SHOULD be doing. Adebayor is like the weather, he was immense when he left Madrid for Spurs a few years ago and like everything will be tested in the coming weeks.

Talking about SPur's flops and no mention of your friend Soldado. :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

While part of me is daring to dream, and we're definitely a team that's improving and heading in the right direction, Spurs are still far too close for us to think that 4th is ours...

I can remember in 2011 when Kenny came back, and we made a great run and had a great chance of catching Spurs for 4th. And then they came to Anfield and beat us 0-2 and that was that.

It's not the same now, teams have to catch us for 4th, not the other way around, but 3 points is very few, one of any the remaining 12 games can wipe that out.

Not being pessimistic by the way, this is a great season for us and I believe that if we keep playing like this, 4th (and maybe more) is ours. But there's still a long way to go...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

percy007 wrote: »
    He is too busy playing poker :D

If he's as good at bluffing as Sherwood, he should do well.

Still maintain Sherwood will follow the Alan Padew/Neil Warnock Enron model of success. The initial boost when they take over, the 110%, up and at 'em lads mentality. Results will wain after the initial upsurge, when the lack of depth to their methods exposes them as little more then after dinner motivational speakers

• Advertisement

billy2012 wrote: »
    Talking about SPur's flops and no mention of your friend Soldado. :P:P

What do you want me to say?

If he's flop, then the majority of Spurs signings are flops. I'm not one to quickly judge a player no matter their status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, just reading there that there's been a 40 point swing between Liverpool and Manchester United from this time last year. They were on 65 points, while we were in 9th on 36.

Moyes in!

What do you want me to say?

If he's flop, then the majority of Spurs signings are flops. I'm not one to quickly judge a player no matter their status.

Well the guys that you bigged up, Lamela and Soldado certainly are. In and around 30M each?

I just found it funny that you didn't mention either of these and brought up Eriksen ( who you don't seem to like, ) and Chadli who both cost a fraction of the above and have out preformed them aswel.

Twas only a joke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What a strange game last night. Felt like I was 10 or 11 again. We had no power in the house. Phone coverage went down before the game. Had to sit out in the car listening to 5 live and talksport just waiting for updates from craven cottage. The penalty was live alright and I was outside roaring in the car. The neighbors must though I was ****ing mad sitting in the car outside the house for two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

niallo27 wrote: »
    Had to sit out in the car listening to 5 live and talksport just waiting for updates from craven cottage.

That brings back memories!! I remember listening to midweek matches back in the 80s on the radio. There was no Sky Sports, or even 5 Live. Definately no live streaming!! I think it was BBC radio 4 that the matches were on, not sure about that though. The best place to listen I found was my dad's car. One particular night was a 2-1 win v arsenal at Anfield. I think there was a last minute cracker from Steve McMahon. Happy days!! Just like now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Chelsea'll probably wait until he does the Spurs medical and then sign him.

I'm thinking we should express an interest in some classy, promising youngsters like Wes Brown or Brad Friedel and see if Chelsea snap them up. That Robbie Keane, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Blondie919 wrote: »
    That brings back memories!! I remember listening to midweek matches back in the 80s on the radio. There was no Sky Sports, or even 5 Live. Definately no live streaming!! I think it was BBC radio 4 that the matches were on, not sure about that though. The best place to listen I found was my dad's car. One particular night was a 2-1 win v arsenal at Anfield. I think there was a last minute cracker from Steve McMahon. Happy days!! Just like now! :D

My fathers alarm clock below in his room was best for me. Was only a ****ty old thing but worked great. I remember ruddock getting sent off against west Ham and losing 1-0 at anfield for some reason. Was he the first liverpool player to get sent off under the last man rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lookin forward to seeing this on LFCTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

niallo27 wrote: »
    My fathers alarm clock below in his room was best for me. Was only a ****ty old thing but worked great. I remember ruddock getting sent off against west Ham and losing 1-0 at anfield for some reason. Was he the first liverpool player to get sent off under the fat man rule.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cartman78 wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

Ruddock wasn't fat he was big boned....ala your namesake. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pique wrote: »
    Skrtl had told Flanagan to mark Richardson, that's why.

Was Flanagan not marking Bent at the time? Seems to have been the case.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/2-1-kieran-richardson-fulham-v-liverpool/

I would have to see the 30 seconds or so leading up to the goal to back up what you are saying, but based on the goal clip alone, I hardly think Flanno could have left Bent considering how play developed.

Also, from looking at the clip, Skrtel was nowhere near Bent so its not like he could argue "Flanno, you should have got Richardson because I had Bent".

No, to me the reaction just seemed to be him looking for someone to blame for his ill-advised clearance.

EDIT: You know what, after all that, is he even giving out to Flanno at all? He seems to be motioning in the other direction? Possibly towards Mig? I watched the game with a pint or two on me and thought he was giving out to Flanno at the time but his ire seems to have been directed elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Blondie919 wrote: »

Peter Jones commentary on BBC 2, great memories.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Well the guys that you bigged up, Lamela and Soldado certainly are. In and around 30M each?

I just found it funny that you didn't mention either of these and brought up Eriksen ( who you don't seem to like, ) and Chadli who both cost a fraction of the above and have out preformed them aswel.

Twas only a joke :D

I know, still a bit grating I'd be lying if I said otherwise :)

I stand by what I said last year and previously.

Lamela is immensely talented who has been injured a fair bit and is also someone who didn't even want to leave Roma. He was also bizarrely played wide left for a good chunk of games.

Soldado scored goals at a very good rate in a team built around him and that created chances for fun down in Valencia, unlike the Spurs of the first half the season which was slow, lethargic and uncreative. That's not to say he hasn't been disappointing. I'm well aware he has. But again, I'm not one to judge players quickly for the most part. The terms world class and flop get thrown around far too quickly for my liking. Players don't always fit systems. Look at my boy at United, Kagawa. Imagine him at a Liverpool or Arsenal instead? Teams who actually play football. Mata under the current Man U set up will never fully thrive IMO, but the price tag and reputation in the EPL will see him at least get the minutes than Shinji so he should still put up decent numbers Even closer to home, look at Carroll. He's playing in the perfect set up at West Ham, built entirely around him. I could go on, on about players not suiting X team/system :P

Regarding Eriksen, I was very much open to signing Eriksen previously, but that was before the Asia-Oz Tour last summer where Rodgers first started experimenting with Coutinho as the CAM. Ever since then, yeah, I've gone off him truth be told. In saying that, I think he's disappointed, especially early doors bar one.. maybe two games. I also wanted him at Dortmund to replace the Traitor too btw, albeit he was third or fourth choice on my CAM wishlist for them. I'm chuffed neither Dortmund or Liverpool didn't end up signing Eriksen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Great to see that we have such a good reputation now with our Academy again. Added to that, Rodgers really has developed a reputation of being eager to see young players develop and isn't afraid to give them a chance. See Teixeira last night. That was quite a big situation to be bringing on a guy for his 1st ever game, a guy who was sent back from Brentford during an unsuccessful loan spell.

Having a manager capable of making those decisions, which aren't easy in the top flight of the modern game, can only bode well for us. Hearing Ibe speak of choosing Liverpool over a host of clubs, and even looking and some of the other youths such as O'Hanlon, who we really had to compete for, hopefully we have put ourselves into a great position to attract the best up and coming players, both in England and abroad.

Credit to Rafa for setting the foundations of that, but Rodgers really does seem like a great man to have in charge now from a youth perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

for me,our front two luis and danny, only league games till end of season .. not worth the risk of injury in cup ... top 4 far far more important long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭mormank

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If he's as good at bluffing as Sherwood, he should do well.

Still maintain Sherwood will follow the Alan Padew/Neil Warnock Enron model of success. The initial boost when they take over, the 110%, up and at 'em lads mentality. Results will wain after the initial upsurge, when the lack of depth to their methods exposes them as little more then after dinner motivational speakers

Not too sure about his bluffing capabilities but he is very disciplined. Was dealing a big PL Omaha game a few years ago that he was playing where he folded top house on the flop, stating that the other guy must have quads and sure enough the other guy had quads. One of the best/most disciplined folds I have ever seen at the table and I've seen alot at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I can hardly believe we have the top two scorers in the league in our team

L. Suárez Liverpool 23
    D. Sturridge Liverpool 16
    S. Agüero Man City 15
    E. Hazard Chelsea 12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Talk of being in the race for the title makes me uneasy. Call that silly if you will. I'm not of the generation that witnessed Liverpool's successes in the league in the 80's (born '84) and I'm just worried of getting my hopes up after seeing the 08/09 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Augmerson wrote: »
    Talk of being in the race for the title makes me uneasy.

That's just because you'll end up a fat bastid from all the pizza.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Lads we should be absolutely gunning for the fa cup.

This attitude of the league only and no other distractions is beginning to get ridiculous.

At the very minimum we need to be somewhat prepared for the amount of games next season whether that be europa or Champions League as that's when we'll really be tested.

So feck the "League is all that matters" mentality and lets hope for a result against Arsenal.

While I wouldn't particularly like a draw.... a draw for Arsenal would be absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Augmerson wrote: »
    Talk of being in the race for the title makes me uneasy. Call that silly if you will. I'm not of the generation that witnessed Liverpool's successes in the league in the 80's (born '84) and I'm just worried of getting my hopes up after seeing the 08/09 season.

That's why I want to see LFC in title races . I have only saw the club in one of them over the years . I'm not uneasy at all about it . I'm looking forward to each game from here on out . I think everybody else should be too .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I couldnt give a sh1t about the cup. That should be something you do as well as win the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Should be going all out to beat Arsenal tbh.

There's a full week until our next game v Swansea. Arsenal play midweek and also next Saturday so it's more of a concern for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

tok9 wrote: »
    Lads we should be absolutely gunning for the fa cup.

This attitude of the league only and no other distractions is beginning to get ridiculous.

At the very minimum we need to be somewhat prepared for the amount of games next season whether that be europa or Champions League as that's when we'll really be tested.

So feck the "League is all that matters" mentality and lets hope for a result against Arsenal.

While I wouldn't particularly like a draw.... a draw for Arsenal would be absolutely terrible.

easy to say it, but if luis or danny get injured,or both, then thats 4th gone.. who knows where we might finish if they stay injury free for the rest of our league games ..

we will all be fcking livid if they get injured on sunday ... low priority is the cup this year imo.. not saying we dont try win it,just saying leave out the two strikers who can fire us to champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I couldnt give a sh1t about the cup. That should be something you do as well as win the league :pac:

so what your saying is we should aim for the double??:)

why would you not give a sh1t about something you want to win:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Should be going all out to beat Arsenal tbh.

There's a full week until our next game v Swansea. Arsenal play midweek and also next Saturday so it's more of a concern for them.

Absolutely.

There is no need to conserve energies.

The gunners are there for the taking.

Knock them out of the cup & I forsee a mini-collapse from Arsenal & 3rd spot becomes a near certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

The problem with keeping one eye on the cup is you take one eye off the league and probably end up with neither. We need to focus on finishing as high as possible. Won't be comfortable with 4th. I think we can get third.
    On another note, it's great to see liverpool paying the way they did when I first started watching football. Playing football like this is the reason I started supporting liverpool, along with all the irish players there houghton aldo whelan. They were by far the most entertaining side and are now up there again.

Paulegend wrote: »
    so what your saying is we should aim for the double??:)

why would you not give a sh1t about something you want to win:confused:

The league would do me just fine !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When Coutinho shows up in games, we win games. And he's returning to form :)

Grayditch wrote: »

Was actually thinking about it the other day, but it's easy to forget that this was Coutinho's first time playing over the Xmas period. While it's something British and Irish players are very much used too, many on the continent aren't. Remember Silva complaining about the Xmas fixture list and no break a couple of years ago? I think Pellegrini even made mention of it last year that it took some getting used to for management and players from the continent and beyond alike. While trying to not come across as someone excusing him as I'm not, his form before Xmas was poor at any rate, perhaps I and others were a tad harsh in criticism aimed at him somewhat.

As you said, he's getting there and hopefully he pushes on through crunch time this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This forget the cup attitude is ****e tbh, go out to win every god damb game you play, the cup is there to be won so lets look to win it,players could get injured in training thats only a bull**** excuse, i for one am looking forward to knocking arsenal out anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also with Coutinho this is probably the longest run of games he has ever had at a senior level which in turn gives a good enough reason for his dips in form. The more he plays he more his body will get used to it and the longer he will go without dips hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Grayditch wrote: »

Things are really coming together in squad terms nicely. His return to form is huge. It also looks like we'll have more or less a full choice defense back over the next few games with Agger and Johnson back in full training

Enrique, Lucas and Sakho all said to be back before the end of this month. We've 10 days recovery time to the next premiership game so hopefully one or two of those will be ready and 18 days till Southampton when hopefully we'll have practically a full squad to choose from.

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement