Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

1-0 Spain keeper fumbled ball into the net from Fabregas shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

That's PEPEesque. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yeah you are definitely right , I think he got his journalism degree in a lucky bag .

Fanning's generally a very good writer. He had the blinkers on for this one though - he's had a hard on for Rafa for a long time. Very unfair piece overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Is that Rodgers quote post Sunderland/Swansea taken out of context? Because its pretty damning from a reality perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Is that Rodgers quote post Sunderland/Swansea taken out of context? Because its pretty damning from a reality perspective

Probably, the whole article lacks context.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/swanseas-cool-design-unpicked-by-oneill-6293159.html

Not too sure how it could have been taken out of context, he either said it after a 2-0 loss or he didn't :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Borini just scored for Italy u21 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Blatter wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/swanseas-cool-design-unpicked-by-oneill-6293159.html

Not too sure how it could have been taken out of context, he either said it after a 2-0 loss or he didn't :pac:

In the article you quote, it does reference O'neill being almost apologetic, and it being easy to forget Sunderland won, so perhaps not as bad as it seems. in all honesty though I don't remember the game.

While I do back Rodgers, it with a degree of sceptism and those quotes certainly don't flatter him. I do wish he'd turn the dial down on the cringiness though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

mosstin wrote: »
    Fanning's generally a very good writer. He had the blinkers on for this one though - he's had a hard on for Rafa for a long time. Very unfair piece overall.

He is a clown he only ever writes what he wants others to believe . I have never saw a balanced article from him ever . Sure at one stage he had to apologise to Carragher over his crappy writing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

In the article you quote, it does reference O'neill being almost apologetic, and it being easy to forget Sunderland won, so perhaps not as bad as it seems. in all honesty though I don't remember the game.

While I do back Rodgers, it with a degree of sceptism and those quotes certainly don't flatter him. I do wish he'd turn the dial down on the cringiness though

Yeah, I was interested about that and thought Swansea must have played them off the park but then I looked at the BBC match report and it says it took Swansea until the 57th min to hit the target.
    Despite Swansea's dominance of possession, Sunderland stopper Mignolet was not tested until the 57th minute when he palmed away Sigurdsson's free-kick.

He does like to talk a lot, constantly sucking up to fans while over hyping any sort of progress, and no doubt it works on a lot of people but I'm always wary of people that constantly feel the need to do it.

I suppose this time next year we will be closer to knowing if he's all talk or whether he can back it up with clear and obvious progress.

• Advertisement

The context that is lacking is the praise that was heaped on Swansea at the time, it's quite a surreal piece and reading Rodgers, Vorm and even O'Neill you'd swear Swansea had won. It's nearly a more general piece with 1 bloody paragraph about the game. Strange article.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ollie1 wrote: »
    1-0 Spain keeper fumbled ball into the net from Fabregas shot.

Bib theory had Luis starting in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bib theory had Luis starting in goal?

Brilliant :D

Uraguay had feck all of the ball but threatened spain more, spains goal was a complete howler. Cavani is having a poor game, if he was on song uraguay could well be winning. Spain 2-1 now though, so odd watching a team with no striker.

He is a clown he only ever writes what he wants others to believe . I have never saw a balanced article from him ever . Sure at one stage he had to apologise to Carragher over his crappy writing .

As opposed to writing what? He's giving an opinion. It's different to yours and in this case different to mine too but I think he's a very good writer.

Yeah, I was interested about that and thought Swansea must have played them off the park but then I looked at the BBC match report and it says it took Swansea until the 57th min to hit the target.

He does like to talk a lot, constantly sucking up to fans while over hyping any sort of progress, and no doubt it works on a lot of people but I'm always wary of people that constantly feel the need to do it.

I suppose this time next year we will be closer to knowing if he's all talk or whether he can back it up with clear and obvious progress.

Rodgers can only give answers to the questions asked and journalists often cherry pick the answers. I'd be surprised if he didn't mention about the lack of goal threat or not converting possession to goals, but given the context and the heavy praise Swansea got at the time, Fanning is quoting unfairly and totally out of context. He was pro-Rafa and didn't want Kenny gone, I don't see the need to outright slate Rodgers like he did in that article.

The year before Blackpool were the darlings of the press, you could easily cherry pick quotes from Holloway to make him look foolish now. (He's a richer source of material in fairness)

The quotes show how much of a hatchet piece it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Maybe they were brilliant that day despite losing? :confused:

As opposed to writing what? He's giving an opinion. It's different to yours and in this case different to mine too but I think he's a very good writer.

A good writer wouldn't have to apologise for an article he wrote about one of our players that was full of slander . A good writer wouldn't try to have a pop like he has done at BR . If we had of won those two games he would have waited until we lost a game or two to slate . He's writing with an agenda and it comes across as a rant . Thats not the traits of a good columnist . A good columnist will research their work and try to highlight good and bad points in his articles but Fanning just puts a negative spin on everything because he seems to have taken a dislike to BR .

A good writer wouldn't have to apologise for an article he wrote about one of our players that was full of slander . A good writer wouldn't try to have a pop like he has done at BR . If we had of won those two games he would have waited until we lost a game or two to slate . He's writing with an agenda and it comes across as a rant . Thats not the traits of a good columnist . A good columnist will research their work and try to highlight good and bad points in his articles but Fanning just puts a negative spin on everything because he seems to have taken a dislike to BR .

This is irrelevant to whether he's a good writer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fanning is a Rafalite for which there is no known cure. I doubt he'll ever get over him being sacked.

This is irrelevant to whether he's a good writer or not.

How is it irrelevant ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Suarez the only non-defender to play the full 90! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's bomb proof dontchaknow!

This Generation is probably the Poorest I've seen of Brazil. No Pomp. No Magic.

And Ronaldinho? I'd rather play Kaka.

I don't follow Brazil much, but does anyone know if they have a better Striker than Luis Fabiano?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't follow Brazil much, but does anyone know if they have a better Striker than Luis Fabiano?

Damiao is probably better.

Fizman wrote: »
    Suarez the only non-defender to play the full 90! :mad:

I have a feeling, Gerrard and Glenjo would get 90 as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

is Lucas in the Brazil squad?

Jayob10 wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Slander? All Fanning said was that Carra wanted rid of Benitez. Carra had no problems with Bascombe saying the very same things Fanning said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I know im off topic, but watch the England hype machine go into overdrive if they manage to keep this lead.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jayob10 wrote: »

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Here's the video from the Arsenal second half. The Liverpool clip in there is just before we conceded the goal. Showed how we had a easier time maintaining position for the most part and if we had just kept hold of the ball for a bit longer it would have been huge. Next time we got the ball back from Glen knocking it out was from having to kick-off at 2-1.

https://vimeo.com/59009390

WealthyB wrote: »
    Slander? All Fanning said was that Carra wanted rid of Benitez. Carra had no problems with Bascombe saying the very same things Fanning said.

There were moments on the field this season that left many convinced that the dissatisfaction with the owners and the broken promises had now fractured the dressing room. During theMerseyside derby at Goodison Park, Torres made a dismissive gesture towards Jamie Carragher which was, some believe, a reflection of their personal relationship.

Carragher was vocal again last week. Torres' sale might have been for the best if "he didn't 100 per cent want to be here". Nobody can question Carragher's desire to be at the club but many now have to ask if he should be.

It was "time for a change" he said when Benitez was sacked, even if the change only made things worse. Then, like now, he made some conciliatory public noises, but his private view reportedly was different.

Most, if not all, of those who contributed to the psychodrama at Liverpool have left. Carragher is the issue that needs to be confronted by Dalglish who has the powerbase to do it, a powerbase that may have intimidated those who felt he shouldn't get the job last summer.

That bit in bold is why he had to apologise , to me its seems like Fanning believes Carragher played a part in messing LFC up which is far from the truth . It could also be the Jamie rated Roy too we will never know what happened with the players of the club when Rafa was sacked. The lack of investment on players and selling our best players messed us up .

At the time of Benitez's sacking a few our players including Stevie had said maybe it was time for Benitez to move on . This could have all been a smoke screen by them to get fans to support the new manager .

Johnson is holding his hamstring at the moment in the england game fuuuuuuuuuu

I have a feeling, Gerrard and Glenjo would get 90 as well. :(

Bloody well, knew it!

Hodgson is not doing us any favors, the CAD!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

klose wrote: »
    Johnson is holding his hamstring at the moment in the england game fuuuuuuuuuu

He played the whole game though? Didn't see it myself though so don't know how he looked.

• Advertisement

Liverpool expect Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling to be fit for Monday night's game against West Brom.

Both players withdrew from international duty this week, Sturridgepulling out of England's friendly against Brazil with a thigh injury suffered during Sunday's draw at Manchester City.
    Sterling was on the bench for that game despite a dead leg which forced him to miss the England U21 side's victory over Sweden on Tuesday.

But, according to Anfield coach Mike Marsh, both injuries are short-term.

"They've both been in for treatment," Marsh told the club website. "They were not available to play for England due to the injuries they've picked up.

"Raheem's has been a bit more long standing - in old school terms, he's got a dead leg - and Daniel picked his up at the weekend.

"But with a bit of luck and treatment hopefully they'll both be available for Monday night."

gafferino wrote: »
    He played the whole game though? Didn't see it myself though so don't know how he looked.

Around 90 minutes he was holding it but played out the final 3 minutes grand, hopefully hell be alright. We are not playing wba till next monday so im not too pushed with glen and steven playing the full 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Legal point of order:

It would be libel, not slander as libel is a recorded form of defamation and slander isn't!

Here endeth legal sermon!:p

murpho999 wrote: »
    Legal point of order:

It would be libel, not slander as libel is a recorded form of defamation and slander isn't!

Here endeth legal sermon!:p

Away with ye, Legal Nazi. ;)

Away with ye, Legal Nazi. ;)

A perfect example of libel as everyone knows it's illegal to be a Nazi!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Good comeback. Raif got BURNED.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Better check that again if you are talking about here in Ireland. :p

Kess73 wrote: »
    Better check that again if you are talking about here in Ireland. :p

...yes and some South American countries but we don't talk about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

...yes and some South American countries but we don't talk about that!

Also not illegal to be one in England, Wales, Scotland, the US.................;)

And leave those South American countries alone. Am pretty sure that Magneto sorted things out down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

There were moments on the field this season that left many convinced that the dissatisfaction with the owners and the broken promises had now fractured the dressing room. During theMerseyside derby at Goodison Park, Torres made a dismissive gesture towards Jamie Carragher which was, some believe, a reflection of their personal relationship.

Carragher was vocal again last week. Torres' sale might have been for the best if "he didn't 100 per cent want to be here". Nobody can question Carragher's desire to be at the club but many now have to ask if he should be.

It was "time for a change" he said when Benitez was sacked, even if the change only made things worse. Then, like now, he made some conciliatory public noises, but his private view reportedly was different.

Most, if not all, of those who contributed to the psychodrama at Liverpool have left. Carragher is the issue that needs to be confronted by Dalglish who has the powerbase to do it, a powerbase that may have intimidated those who felt he shouldn't get the job last summer.

That bit in bold is why he had to apologise , to me its seems like Fanning believes Carragher played a part in messing LFC up which is far from the truth . It could also be the Jamie rated Roy too we will never know what happened with the players of the club when Rafa was sacked. The lack of investment on players and selling our best players messed us up .

At the time of Benitez's sacking a few our players including Stevie had said maybe it was time for Benitez to move on . This could have all been a smoke screen by them to get fans to support the new manager .

That bit in bold is not why he had to apologise, and it's not even close to libel or slander as you incorrectly called it. Fanning backed down over the same allegations that he let Bascombe make, namely that Carra wanted rid of Benitez or in the vaguer terms that Bascombe used, that Rafa had lost the support of senior players in the dressing room. If it was a smoke screen Carra was happy to let Bascombe run with with the same story. Why Fanning backed down I don't know, but he did nothing that Carragher's autobiographer didn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Far from an expert on Brazilian football but don't think that was a full strength team they had out there tonight was it? Thiago Silva, Dede, Marcelo, Lucas x2, Ganso, Hulk, Willian, Leandro, all players that would have a claim to be starting probably? Could be a lot more too, agree though, they were very disappointing tonight.

That bit in bold is not why he had to apologise, and it's not even close to libel or slander as you incorrectly called it. Fanning backed down over the same allegations that he let Bascombe make, namely that Carra wanted rid of Benitez or in the vaguer terms that Bascombe used, that Rafa had lost the support of senior players in the dressing room. If it was a smoke screen Carra was happy to let Bascombe run with with the same story. Why Fanning backed down I don't know, but he did nothing that Carragher's autobiographer didn't do.

The reason Fanning backed down was because he made alot of allegations and he knew there was no truth in them . Why else would he back down with an apology and a donation to the HFSG .

If he was right then he should have proved it but he didn't . Carragher and LFC's legal team wanted to bring it to court but he didn't want to ? Either he was telling some amount of porkies or was led up the garden path by a source . He has an agenda and that is to blame anybody he can for Rafa's sacking be it Purslow , Players , Hicks and Gillett and even the man on the moon .

I haven't read his agenda driven crap in years and I don't think I will ever read it again . He seems to revel in the misery of our recent history so he can spew out his agenda driven crap time after time .

After the last couple of years following this club I prefer to look at the positives and see how they will benefit us in the long term . The manager needs time to bed his system and "mentality" into the club . It's no coincidence that Rafa's best season came 4 years into his reign when he had laid his own foundations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Looks like Fanning has done a very good job here lads.

got you (us) all talking about him and his piece.

He's a paid journalist - that doens't mean he has to give fair and unbiased pieces that everyone likes, or agrees with, it means he has to provide copy that will sell papers, get tongues wagging and waiting to see what comes next.

He is under no obligation to research his pieces, or to present "both sides" of any story he is writing. His job is to create a narrative that will sell papers. Same way papers choose a political side at election time - they push candidates from a certain party, they have no obligation to do anything different.

Oh, and don't forget. His father gave him many, many helping hands along his career path.

Doin Fanning is pretty good at what he does. I don't agree with his methods, but they are what they are.

It's funny though, football fans' view of journalists is fairly fickle. One week a journo will be "relaible, always checks his facts, is fair and balanced" until he writes a piece that the majority don't agree with - then he and his paper get slated.

I personally know a journalist who writes for The Sunday World. He covers a certain team (NOT Liverpool), and the fans of that team all thought he was great, until one time he dared to criticise their manager in print. He the started receiving emails calling him a "bitter fan of team XX (crosstown rivals) which he is FAR from being).

Weird. I'm not saying Fanning is in that boat, but it's kind of the same thing. Journo writes a couple of "negative" pieces about a club, and suddenly he's an enemy. Football fans just don't like people being negative about the club they support.

Perfectly natural.

Bundesliga outfit Hamburg concede that in-demand forward Heung-min Son could be sold if a suitable offer is put to them.

South Korea international Son is said to be interesting a number of clubs in the Premier League, with Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all said to be keen.

Reports suggest that Spurs sent scouts to watch the 20-year-old in action on Wednesday as he appeared for his country in a friendly date with Croatia at Fulham's Craven Cottage.

It has been suggested that Hamburg would be looking for around £10million for their highly-rated frontman.

General manager Frank Arnesen has refused to speculate on a price, but admits a tempting bid could force the club's hand.

He is, however, hopeful that fresh terms can be agreed with Son, allowing him to remain in Germany for the foreseeable future.

Arnesen told Hamburger Morgenpost: "Of course we have an acceptance limit.

"But Sonny is a very young and great talent. We have the ambition to sign new terms with him and will be in a position to hand him a good deal.

"I am sure we can find a solution to keep hold of him for longer than the end of his current deal (which expires in June 2014)."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement