Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ISSF Rules

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno thirdfox, that was the entire content of the email. I did follow up:
    Thanks for the reply Mr.Anderson; that rule does look workable (though for the record, without the word "actively", the phrase "before the shot is released" would not have prevented static weights from being banned; but I'm sure this point was raised earlier).
    I've passed this on to other Irish ISSF shooters.
    Is there a timetable for when the other rules will be finalised and released? Will there be a period of time for comment and review?
    With regards,

And got this response:
    The 2013 ISSF Rules will be presented to the ISSF Administrative Council for final approval on 13 November. Within a couple of weeks after that, the new rules should be posted on the ISSF website where a complete edition of the rules will be available.

From the ISSF Website, with permission:
    REPORT ABOUT ISSF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND ISSF ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

On 12 and 13 November 2012 the ISSF Executive Committee and the ISSF Administrative Council met for their second meetings this year in Acapulco, MEX. These meetings dealt with the completion of the Technical Rules for the next Olympic Cycle 2013 to 2016. During these very important meetings the detailed rules for the Finals in all Olympic Events as of 1 January 2013 were discussed and finalized. Many discussions with athletes and coaches regarding the new rules helped to develop excellent solutions and some compromises that will help the shooting sport move forward in reaching one of his goals in becoming a more spectator and media friendly sport. We are very pleased that all decisions to approve the new technical and Finals rules were unanimous. This once again shows that the shooting sport is united and works for the benefit of the sport and the Olympic Movement.

The new rules will be published in the next days on the ISSF website and ISSF looks forward to using the new rules in all 2013 Championships.

...continues

Hmmmm. That's a few miles more upbeat than the general reception amongst most shooters would have allowed for, I would warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

National Federations now have the new rules and they're to be published on the ISSF website this week

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Sparks wrote: »
    Hmmmm. That's a few miles more upbeat than the general reception amongst most shooters would have allowed for, I would warrant.

I think "unanimous" must lose or gain something in translation from the Mexican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    I think "unanimous" must lose or gain something in translation from the Mexican.

Feckin' Babelfish...

From the ISSF website, with permission:
    NEW ISSF 2013-2016 RULES: COMPETITIONS WILL START FROM ZERO, AND END IN A DUEL

After more than two years of work by ISSF bodies, the ISSF Administrative Council unanimously approved the new ISSF rules on 13 November 2012, that open a new chapter for the Shooting Sport Olympic events.

The new rules feature many important changes designed to increase Shooting’s appeal to youth and make it more spectator and media friendly, as well as to keep competitions fair and equal.

New Shooting Finals start from zero, feature eliminations, and end up in a duel
    Major changes include new Finals for all Olympic events. The new rules contain new Finals formats for all Olympic events where all finalists start from zero. This means that qualification’s score will not be carried into the final anymore, making the scoring system immediately understandable for the spectators.Furthermore, all Finals feature eliminations, and end with duels between the two best athletes to decide the gold and silver medals. This step was taken to engage a worldwide public by attracting spectators and fans through an appealing and easily understandable competition format. Detailed rules for all new Finals are included in the 2013 Rules which are already published on the ISSF website. These new Finals will be used in all 2013 ISSF Championships. The new ISSF Rules also include small increases in difficulty in Skeet and Double Trap, the separation of sighting and match firing in 10m and 50m rifle and pistol events, a new position order for 50m Rifle 3 Positions events and a provisional test of decimal scoring for 10m Air Rifle and 50m Prone Rifle events. The Final for the 50m Rifle 3 Positions events is now a 3 Positions Final, not a one-position Final like it use to be, and will include changing times from one position to the other. New skill elements like reverse doubles on stations 3 and 5 in Skeet and making rapid position changes in 3-position rifle Finals will add interest. Both 25m Pistol Finals will use hit-miss scoring to encourage more spontaneous spectator reactions.

The entire ISSF family participated in the development of new Rules
    The ISSF tried to involve the entire ISSF family in developing the 2013 ISSF Rules. ISSF Section Committees not only made initial proposals, but they were given multiple opportunities to review rules drafts. The Athletes and Coaches Committees not only contributed ideas, but were involved in evaluating the rules. Elite athletes and national coaches were especially active in developing the new Finals Rules. In some cases, difficult compromises had to be worked out to meet the diverse aims of these vital ISSF constituent groups. The ISSF is especially pleased that so many National Federations, industry members, athletes, coaches and even shooting fans were able to participate in making the 2013 ISSF Rules and help make the new rules stronger and more effective.

Decimal Scoring for 10m Air Rifle and 50m Prone Rifle.
    With so many highly skilled athletes competing in these events today, it has become even more important to have qualification competitions that truly advance the best athletes to the Finals. Making it to the final is frequently a matter of one shot that scores a 10.0 or a 9.9; the difference between making or not making a Final can be less than one-fourth of a millimeter on that one shot. Decimal scoring virtually eliminates the decisive role that one close shot can play in deciding finalists and provides a far more accurate way to decide the best shooters in the qualification. The ISSF plans to use decimal scoring in the 10m Air Rifle Men, 10m Air Rifle Women and 50m Prone Rifle Men events in the 2013 World Cups. This will be evaluated at the end of the 2013 Championship season and decisions will then be made on whether to use decimal scoring for those events on a permanent basis or to use decimal scoring for all 10m and 50m elimination and qualification competitions. Decimal scoring requires either electronic scoring targets or electronic scoring for paper targets. National federations or shooting clubs are not required to use decimal scoring, but many that have electronic scoring available will find that it adds fairness and interest to these events. In addition to these changes, the position order in 50m 3 Positions Rifle is changed from prone-standing-kneeling to kneeling-prone-standing to bring the qualification order in line with the order that will be followed in 3-position rifle Finals.

Shotgun events are changing
    Both Skeet and Double Trap qualification rounds have changes designed to add additional difficulty to these events that now have so many high scores. The target throwing distance in Skeet is increased from 66m +/- 1m to 68m +/- 1m. In addition, the firing order is changed so that the two station 4 doubles will be fired after station 7 and just before station 8. This means that the most difficult targets must be shot near the end of a round of Skeet instead of in the middle. Double Trap qualification is changed from three series of 50 targets (25 pair) or three series of 40 targets for women to five series of 30 targets (15 pair) for men and four series of 30 targets for women. What makes Double Trap more difficult is that random schemes will now be used to determine the target combinations that are thrown (scheme A, B or C).

Changes in Rifle Equipment Rules
    The 2013 Rules include many small changes regarding rifle clothing and equipment. The ISSF objective in adopting these changes is two-fold: 1) to limit the use of performance-enhancing clothing and equipment while maximizing the tests of skill, training and performance in rifle events, and 2) to keep competition conditions as equal as possible for all rifle shooters. These changes were made because the ISSF feels recent trends in the development of Rifle clothing, equipment and accessories are in danger of going too far in providing performance-enhancing capabilities. The 2013 ISSF Rules place reasonable limits on how far the development of performance-enhancing rifle equipment can go.

Separate Sighting and Match Firing Periods
    Sighting shots are part of the pre-competition warm-up process in Shooting. The new rules require sighting shots to be fired in a 15-minute “Preparation and Sighting Period” before competition or match firing starts. This new change will eliminate confusion for spectators, by completing warm-ups before the competition starts.

New ISSF Rulebook
    The new 2013 ISSF Rulebook, which will be effective from the 1st of January 2013 and used for all the 2013 ISSF World Cup Stages, is available for download at: http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rules/english_rulebook.ashx

FFS. I got hooked on the sport because it's basicly competing against yourself; and they go and turn it into a completely different sport in the finals. :mad: Idiots :mad: I mean, if you want to shoot the Bianchi Cup, go shoot the Bianchi Cup, don't **** over a different sport to try to emulate one that people go to you for an alternative to in the first place!

Gah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I can't say I like it. Also, starting the 3x40 in kneeling? That's going to be weird... Also the decimal scoring seems odd. Oh well, 300m is where the sport still exists I guess.

Some reasoning included in this letter. Can't say I agree with most of it, though the reasoning for the seperate sighting/match times seems reasonable enough. Mind you, the attitude and tone throughout the entire letter, not to mention the outright deception that the "entire ISSF Family"* was involved is something that ought to result in someone at the top table being given a clip round the ear. :mad:

*only true if you are *very* specific about who you regard as "the ISSF Family", and define it as everyone on a committee wearing a blazer and who hasn't actually shot in the past decade... as the protest resignations from the Athlete's Committee showed.

• Advertisement

From the ESC's homepage:
    Sheffield, 29 November 2012

Dear shooters and coaches,
    First of all I would like to thank you for your support to the ISSF “back to zero rule” petition: more than 2000
    signatures and almost 20 Olympic champions. It was a great result. Our aim was to make our voices heard and become an
    active part of the changing rule process, and thanks to your tremendous help we succeeded. In this regard I would like to
    apologize for my late communication of recent events but unfortunately I could not extrapolate all the email addresses
    from the Petition website and get in touch with all of you. I am thankful to President Lisin that allowed me to use the
    European Shooting home page.

As you probably know, a couple of days after I put the petition online I was invited by ISSF to participate in the new
    3p final test in Munich that had previously been scheduled for 10th-12th October. I accepted their offer as I felt that,
    as well as gaining first hand experience of the new format, I would also have the opportunity to meet with and exchange
    views and opinions with the ISSF leaders. Those present included Secretary Franz Schreiber, Vice-President Gary Anderson
    and some members of the Technical Commission. Also present were other invited international shooters including myself,
    several from the German team, the American Jason Parker, the Belarus Shcherbatsevich and the Swiss shooters Beyeler and
    Loretan.

Although the meeting was constructive, our main concern with the new format was the “back to zero rule”. The reason
    for this is because of the imbalance it creates between luck and skill. However the ISSF would not negotiate their
    position on the “back to zero rule” telling us that such decision was already made and out of the question. In
    view of this we pressed for an increase in the number of shots in the final since the more we shoot the less the luck
    component is decisive.

After two days of frank and open discussion this consensus was hard won with both sides compromising on positions on
    which they felt strongly. The final decision was the following:
    3p final: 45 (15x3) shots, increased from 30 (previous proposal)
    All other disciplines: 20, increased from 10

At the meeting in October I also suggested the following changes might improve participant and spectator experience -­

‐ FOR THE SHOOTER: introduction of the decimal scores in the qualification round. At present the qualification process
    in order to gain access to the final is not sensitive enough for air rifle and prone. For example the difference between
    making the final and not making the final is often so small that it is as likely to have arisen by chance as by skill.
    The final score could just be the difference between shooting a 9.9 rather than a 10.0. In order to provide evidence
    for this proposal I collected all the World Cup rankings of the last Olympic cycle and calculated the average number of
    shooters that did not qualify for the final but scored within 1 point from the last finalist. Air rifle men and women and
    prone were by far the most problematic events (an average of 10 shooters out of the final but within 1 point in air rifle
    and an average of 7 shooters in prone, all the others event had less than 5 shooters).

‐ FOR THE MEDIA: implementation of technology such as a heart rate monitor and/or tracking devices for showing the
    aiming trace. The way we present ourselves is as important as the format we use, and so far we are not particularly
    engaging on television, regardless of the format.

Mr. Schreiber and Mr. Anderson appeared interested in both the above proposals, admitting that these two points have
    already been taken into consideration by the ISSF council.

The 2013 will be a very interesting season in order to evaluate pros and cons of the ‘decimal’ qualification round
    and hopefully introduce new technologies. However, I would like to propose that this is just the beginning of a new phase
    of development in competition shooting in which the evaluation of the proposed changes over the coming years results
    from the assessment of participant, organizer, media and spectator experiences. In this regard I believe that a solid
    collaboration between athletes, coaches and the Federation is essential for the future of our sport.

Thanks again for your support and I wish everybody a successful (and fun) 2013 season.
    Sincerely,
    Nicco Campriani

Advertisement