Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HireRight.Com... Anyone had any experience

Options
  • 24-06-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I applied for a grad role in a company.
    Had interview, went great.
    As expected, I got a call with an offer straight away which I verbally accepted.
    Then an email came with a link for hireright.com background check service form.
    I filled the form as honestly as I could. Detailing my jobs and education from last nearly 6 years. And what a mistake I did man.
    Agent from HireRight started to send email looking for all the P45s and payslips and government issued verification documents about the jobs and phone numbers for the supervisor.
    I tried to find all I could. And mailed back but this agent isn't satisfied. And I have a feeling they are going to f me over.

Now in last 7 years I had 3 jobs in total. And mostly part time summer work, unrelated to IT. I don't have many payslips and some p45s didn't even have employer name, just the company revenue number. And this agent isn't willing to go extra mile to see which company those revenue number correspondence too. The companies I worked for are well known and the agent don't seems to want to look up the company's contact number and call them up to get a reference. The agent asked me to provide a direct number for the supervisor which I do not have.

If someone had an experience, please advice.

I am regretting to be honest as to why I wrote all about my past, when clearly this agent is relying on me to provide all the information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Maybe contact the employer and let them know your having difficulties. I doubt they're aware of what this 3rd party is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I have kind of did that.
    I replied to one of the emails of this agent and cc it to the recruiter from the company...
    she never replied...
    so i have a feeling it is already f... for me...
    anyway, i wish i could do something...

anyway, for anyone else out there... if you hear the name HireRight... avoid it... deal directly with the employer... and just refuse to deal with HireRight. I looked them up on internet and there is gazillion of people having f****ed by this HireRight...

Avoid at all cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

In that case I'd go further than a CC on an email. Could have very easily just been missed or forgotten about.

At this stage you really don't have much to lose. If they're as bad as you say they are then your prospective employer will understand. And I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose a candidate they have selected as fitting for the position just because of some sh***y 3rd party company.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

These companies are used to do the background checks and verifications for large multinationals, especially ones that deal in sensitive areas like finance. You'll often have to deal with this. But don't worry, it's not likely they'll really end up causing huge problems. they ask for the same things from a grad as from a high level exec, but they son't sign off on you, your new HR do. And HR will be more understanding.

Just try to get all the information requested that you can, and if there are any problems drop a direct mail to HR. Remember people are busy and rarely respond to ccs.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I understand the vetting process and I am completely fine with it. I didn't lie a bit in the data I provided. However the way it has been handled on the HireRight part, it is beyond funny. I provided them all the contact numbers with names of managers I was reporting too and the Web addresses etc to verify the phone numbers etc. But this agent from HireRight came back to me saying they cannot verify.

I don't mean to sound bitchy but the way I look at it is "I gave a company name and claimed that I use to work there. Now it is the responsibility of the agent to go looking for the authenticity of my claim by digging up the contact details of the company and verify if I was working there or not and what was my reputation". I mean, the agent is getting paid to do so. But in this particular case it is not going this way. I have to provide facts to be questioned, then I have to provide the contacts so the agent can verify my facts. Without any hesitation I have provided the details and the contact numbers but I was told it is not enough.

I think it is not right. My opinion...

Anyway I did send an email to hr with details of this investigation so they can consider the situation. I felt I have nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Pick up the phone and call the HR department. Emails are not the way to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm dealing with them currently sorting out my background screening and have been doing so for about 10 days now.

The most frustrating thing I find about them is getting emails from multiple different agents. I think I've had requests from 3 different ones at this stage which is quite awkward.

Getting proof of living for times I've lived in the UK was annoying also but that's the way it goes . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

iwantthat wrote: »
    I replied to one of the emails of this agent and cc it to the recruiter from the company...

General rule of thumb for a CC is that you're not expected to reply, you're being included as a FYI. As others have said, phone them and explain the situation.

TBH, I'm a bit WTF on this one. Seems very untrusting to use a company like this. Thanks for the heads up, if I ever come across a role that means I have to deal with this I'll walk on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IllClinton

I actually made an account just to talk to somebody about this; HireRight are an absolute joke of a company. I thought I was at the end of a fairly arduous interview process with Apple for the role of a Technical Support advisor working from home, and after what I thought were two excellent interviews I was sent the HireRight form, where everything promptly went downhill.

I only listed my last two jobs as they were the only relevant ones in my work history, one being my current employment and the other a job I had where I worked from home. This company is now out of business, which I noted on the form.

The day after I had completed the form, I got a call from a woman representing HireRight, and while she was very polite she had no grasp on English whatsoever. It was extremely difficult to hold a normal conversation with her. She asked me for a P45 or a signed copy of my contract with the company, neither of which I had (or was ever given, for that matter) and she just said that it wasn't enough and that I'd have to get some form of written proof that I had worked for this company. She didn't understand that the company was out of business so that I couldn't contact them in that sense, but I told her I could give her the phone number of my previous superiors who would be more than happy to verify everything I had told them up to now. She eventually caved and took the phone number and said she would call them.

Two days later I emailed the agent to see if there was anything more I could do to help or if they needed any more from me, and she asked me for literally all of the information that I had given her in our last exchange. So I gave her the details for the second time.

I then didn't hear anything for about a week so I emailed Apple directly asking if there was any news on my application. A very nice woman rang me back to tell me that HireRight "couldn't verify any of my previous jobs." I explained everything to this woman who essentially took on board everything I was trying to tell the HireRight agent. She asked me to put everything I had just told her into an email and send it to her personally. As soon as I did this I got an email back saying thanks, and that they'd get back to me if they needed any more.

I've now got no idea what the story is with the job at all. It's beyond me that the most profitable company in the world would partner with a company so inept.

Anybody here dealing with the same situation? Sorry for long post, I'm just a bit worried about not getting the job due this whole trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Even if you didn't get a P45 from the company you might be able to get something from Revenue - say a P60. This is an annual statement so you'll have one for every tax year you spent with the company. If you can't get that then it probably means that your company was paying you off the books, or employing you as a contractor or similiar.
    In this case I would go about getting something in writing from former supervisors saying that you worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Different countries have different approaches to background checks. In German speaking countries you are entitled to have a written reference from an employer (either a final one or one even while employed with no intention to leave) by law. The whole area is quite complex and involves all sort of negotiations with employers, especially where it comes to wording as these letters are written in code (even when officially they're not). As a result, you will be expected to have a written reference for all your jobs whenever you apply.

However, not everywhere works the same. The Anglophone world is pretty lackadaisical where it comes to these sort of things. I think I got my last written reference in Ireland back in 2000. Indeed, you're not even entitled legally to a reference in Ireland. Does that mean you never worked there? Even when one is given, many HR departments will give a basic 'worked date x to date x' one-liner as the more they write the more the chance that someone will sue them. For someone who does not understand this and comes from a culture where formal references are the norm, it just looks like a crap reference.

But, in fairness, most companies typically are aware of this, so for a company that alleges to specialize in background checks to demand written references from jobs in a nation where written references have become rare, is daft beyond belief. Even the Swiss, Austrians and Germans realize this and generally make allowances.

OP, I'm afraid that you're probably a victim of HR incompetence. The hiring company's HR department is too lazy to do any hiring work themselves, they hire a company that clearly has no clue on an international level and will just trash you to their client because you can't supply materials that they should know you won't have.

Someone suggested contacting the HR department directly, by phone. I agree that this is, at this stage, your best and only shot, but there's a good chance that they won't like being bothered - after all, they're paying someone else to do their job for them and they'll end up punishing you for this. I'd still do so though, if for no other reason as to make it known how incompetent this 'background check' company is.

Advertisement