Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherent Vice

Options
  • 27-01-2013 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Paul Thomas Anderson's next project will be taking on the Thomas Pynchon novel Inherent Vice. It's a detective thriller-comedy set in 1960s/70s Los Angeles. It was originally meant to star Robert Downey Jnr., but apparently he has dropped out and Anderson will be teaming up again with Joaquin Phoenix. It all seems to still be very much in its infancy, but it will be the first time that the very reclusive Thomas Pynchon has allowed his work be adapted for the screen.

Hope Anderson does it some justice. It'll be interesting to see how they do comedy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/inherent-vice-joaquin-phoenix-robert-downey-jr_n_2545497.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,036 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RDJ would have been an interesting choice to work with PTA anyways I'm sure Joaquin Phoenix will deliver as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

A Mason & Dixon film helmed by Anderson could be really interesting, I think, but Vice is probably Pynchon's most accessible - and most "filmable" - novel by a considerable distance. Not a Downey Jnr. fan at all, and glad he's no longer involved.

On a side note, Pynchon is said to be dissmissive of the idea that he's reclusive: the perception stems from his unwillingness to do interviews, attend award ceremonies, perform readings, or engage in any of the other public activities normally expected of a professional writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It'll be interesting to see how they do comedy.
    Watch Punch-Drunk Love :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kinski wrote: »
    A Mason & Dixon film helmed by Anderson could be really interesting, I think, but Vice is probably Pynchon's most accessible - and most "filmable" - novel by a considerable distance. Not a Downey Jnr. fan at all, and glad he's no longer involved.

On a side note, Pynchon is said to be dissmissive of the idea that he's reclusive: the perception stems from his unwillingness to do interviews, attend award ceremonies, perform readings, or engage in any of the other public activities normally expected of a professional writer.

Nobody even seems to be sure what he looks like or where he actually resides either. There are only a few known photographs of him in circulation, all from his college days. I kinda like that he stays away from it all.
    e_e wrote: »

Can't watch anything with Adam Sandler. He is possibly top of my list of actors who just do my head in.

Seriously if you like Paul Thomas Anderson you're gonna have to watch it. His second best film imho and the exception to Adam Sandler's rubbish output. He is wonderful in that film.

• Advertisement

Seriously if you like Paul Thomas Anderson you're gonna have to watch it. His second best film imho and the exception to Adam Sandler's rubbish output. He is wonderful in that film.

I'll give it a go and try and push aside my hatred for Adam Sandler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll give it a go and try and push aside my hatred for Adam Sandler.

I actually think Punch Drunk Love wouldn't have worked so well without Sandler. There has always been something ... I dunno, borderline psychotic about his performances & characters from his various 'comedies'; Andersons film quite brilliantly tapped into that bubbling rage. To the point where I wondered if there might have been something oddly cathartic for Sandler himself (though it's a long while since I saw it last; I could just be remembering more than was actually there).

Yeah this sums up why the film suited Adam Sandler so perfectly:

Sean Penn, Benicio Del Toro, Owen Wilson and Reese Witherspoon also joined the cast

Finally got around to watching this, but didn't really think of it as a comedy as such. I didn't really laugh at all, but I still really loved it. I thought it was very sweet and romantic in an unconventional way and incredibly symbolic in so many ways. I was really surprised by Adam Sandler too. The one and only time I can take him. Thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant too.

I'm looking forward to what happens with this one.

• Advertisement

Couple of set photos have appeared.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fd1%2F90%2Fc478d41248299de02b76947ad812%2Fiv-maya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

He looks like Neil Young there.

Couple of set photos have appeared.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fd1%2F90%2Fc478d41248299de02b76947ad812%2Fiv-maya.jpg

Is that Anderson's missus Maya Rudolph?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that Anderson's missus Maya Rudolph?

Yes, she has actually signed on too.

Peter McRobbie has joined the cast of Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice, as the loan shark Adrian Prussia (a part that people had been speculating would go to Sean Penn) - Source EW

No sign of a teaser trailer yet and it will premiere at the New York Film Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

BxLrFMXCMAExHA7.jpg

BxMGgoRCEAAovLA.png

10646831_10152776037239369_6420691583679986107_n.jpg?oh=9a54436b5a265a0ec8209d76de66345c&oe=545BFED0

07FACES1-master675.jpg

David Ketchum @KetchumAtMovies · 10h

Inherent Vice trailer to world premiere tomorrow on @YahooMovies in the AM! #WBExclusive

Can't wait !!! :)

inherent-vice-first-look-josh-brolin-joaquin-phoenix.jpg

Josh Brolin as Bigfoot Bjornsen - now there's a haircut you can set your watch to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

A nod to Altman in the 2nd image?

last-supper-mash.jpg

PTA just keeps getting better.... The Master was outstanding.

David Ketchum @KetchumAtMovies · 27m

Sorry guys. Plans have changed. WB Source says Inherent Vice trailer closer to @NYFF World Premiere.

:(

• Advertisement

:D

inherent_vice_poster.png

Now that is how you do a trailer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I’ve watched it three times already. You can really feel PTA’s hand in it. As with his previous trailers, though, I’m guessing many of these scenes/moments won’t be in the final film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

the trailer reminds me of "The Dude" or just "Dude", if you know what i mean.......man.

or "The Big Lebowski"

Tarantino vibe from the trailer too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That. Now that is how you do a trailer.

Inherent Vice, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

emo72 wrote: »
    the trailer reminds me of "The Dude" or just "Dude", if you know what i mean.......man.

or "The Big Lebowski"

I thought that too. It put me in mind of The Long Goodbye as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Amazing trailer. Very, very excited about this one. PTA keeps impressing me with every film. An incredible cast too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    Amazing trailer. Very, very excited about this one. PTA keeps impressing me with every film. An incredible cast too.

The man's never made a bad movie and doesn't settle to make Oscar bait even though the snubbing off America's best director today is shocking but they did snub Kubrick.

Advertisement