Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leggings as pants

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

The only time it's ever ok is if they are either:

A - Liquid leggings
    or
    B - Leather leggings

The cheap cotton/normal leegings you see are pretty awful.
    I personally think those liquid/leather leggings are worse than the cotton leggings.

There's a girl on my FB who wore leather/liquid leggings with a short top and high heels and it looked absolutely awful. So cheap and tacky. I cringed when I saw the photos.

I have never, ever seen leather/liquid leggings look good on anyone, long or short top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

havana wrote: »
    What on earth are pants???? To me pants are underwear/ knickers. I'm confused!!!! Easy to confuse me so maybe I'm the only one!! :-)

Trousers :p Pants are knickers to me too but we're talking all Stateside here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

Yeah thought I'd wandered into boards.us alright!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

kandr10 wrote: »
    I saw a girl in the gym wearing leggings instead of a tracksuit or shorts. She was slim enough but I still kept thinking why didn't you get dressed before you came out? It just reminds me of when you take off a baby's pair of trousers to change their nappy and let them go around in their tights for a while!

OMG leggings in the gym? She must be mental!!!!

OR just maybe... she had something like these on?

1012356main.jpg

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Nike-Be-Bold-DriFit-Womens-Pant-Black/209802/0000000099

or these

31mRIZ1-Z6L._AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The big difference is whether people waer them with a long top/fitted dress over them or with a top or tshirt that ends just below the waistband of the leggings...I saw a girl yesterday wearing charcoal leggings and a see thru beige top..she has an alright bum (by my standards!) but it still looked....odd.. I would def not go with this look and think there should be a rule against it in the fashion world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

fghijkl wrote: »
    not to mention when you see girls wearing them on warm days instead of tights..i mean how sweaty they must get being so tight and thick in a certain area*cough* if you know what i mean *cough*! ewww :/

:confused: You've got that completely backwards. Leggings are made of cotton, tights are nylon. Leggings are innumerably fresher than tights on a hot day. You'll sweat a hell of a lot less than you would in tights and if you do sweat it will be absorbed by the cotton not stay slick like it would on tights. Also as leggings are footless you can wear flipflops or light shoes that you can't wear with tights, again keeping your body temperature down quite a lot.

tomissex wrote: »
    Trousers :p Pants are knickers to me too but we're talking all Stateside here :)

Actually it's "pants" in most of the English speaking world, from the word pantaloon. It's why jocks are called "underpants" because they go under your pants. It's "pants" in Ireland, Australia, South Africa, Canada and the US and "trousers" in England and Wales. In Scotland either is used but "trews" is most common in many parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

It makes the girl look half-naked, and not in a good way. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

iguana wrote: »
    Actually it's "pants" in most of the English speaking world, from the word pantaloon. It's why jocks are called "underpants" because they go under your pants. It's "pants" in Ireland, Australia, South Africa, Canada and the US and "trousers" in England and Wales. In Scotland either is used but "trews" is most common in many parts.

I understand where the word comes from and that most countries say "pants", I was just clearing it up cause someone was confused as to whether we talking about underwear or overwear :)
    I don't think Ireland says "pants" though, working in retail I've never had someone ask for trousers as "pants"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I understand where the word comes from and that most countries say "pants", I was just clearing it up cause someone was confused as to whether we talking about underwear or overwear :)
    I don't think Ireland says "pants" though, working in retail I've never had someone ask for trousers as "pants"

I used to be in fashion retail and I had an old lady looking for "pantses".
    She wanted trousers.

On topic- I don't like the leggings thing at all, I think they cheapen an outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I dunno, I find this thread completely unnecessary. It seems rather bitchy to me. "A person shouldn't wear leggings with a short top if they're over a size 12" or whatever. If people are happy and comfy in what they're wearing, why isn't that enough? Style differs from person to person and what one person thinks looks good, another doesn't. I don't see the need to have a 5 page thread belittling others for their clothing choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Are you in Dublin by any chance? Irish people outside of Dublin usually say pants for trousers. It's nothing to do with sounding American, in fact to us non-Dubs saying pants for underwear sounds very British! :)

Don't see why people have a bee in their bonnet about leggings with a long top or dress? I find them much more comfy than tights and it looks basically the same with a dress :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I often wear leggings as pants, and yes with short tops. If they are non see through I think it's totally fine. And just because you wear leggings does NOT mean you automatically HAVE to have a camel toe. :rolleyes: You'll only have a camel toe if the leggings are too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

iguana wrote: »

It might be in the US but pants generally mean knickers I thought. I would always say trousers, pants sounds very American to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

The word pants has lost all meaning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

bowsie010 wrote: »
    The word pants has lost all meaning

It describes what I'm doing when I see a cute lady in leggings :D

Leggings on a girl are great, so long as they are not loose, or overstretched. An athletic body type per se.

It might be in the US but pants generally mean knickers I thought. I would always say trousers, pants sounds very American to me.

Only in most of Britain. Irish people who say pants for underpants are clearly soupers.:P;) Actually the one place in England where pants is used instead of trousers is Liverpool, due to the high Irish immigrant population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Novella wrote: »
    You know you can buy leggings/tights specifically for wear in the gym or out running? I own some and the reason I wear them is because it's much easier to run without the excess material of tracksuit bottoms flapping around your legs.

Plus, it's the gym ffs! You don't go there to make a fashion statement.

These were completely opaque across the woman's behind. I don't go to gym to make a fashion statement. Nor do I go to see someone's knickers on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

These were completely opaque across the woman's behind. I don't go to gym to make a fashion statement. Nor do I go to see someone's knickers on show.

I'm sure this particular woman didn't go to the gym with the sole intention of you seeing her underwear through her leggings. She was more than likely wearing leggings to be comfortable while exercising and was unaware that what she was wearing was slightly see-through.

I understand where you and others are coming from but personally, I just find the tone of thread demeaning. I don't think it's nice to pass judgement like that, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I hate seeing people wearing them and short tops. Fine with tunics and stuff, but not with a tank top!

I do have to admit that I love the combo when studying :o They're a lot comfier than jeans or shorts when sitting at my desk for six hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Is it so hard just to do your exercises?
    It suggests a problem if your drawn to this subject, or that you might be going to the GYM for an ulterior motive to say you can see nickers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

gbee wrote: »
    Is it so hard just to do your exercises?
    It suggests a problem if your drawn to this subject, or that you might be going to the GYM for an ulterior motive to say you can see nickers?

You can't "unsee" things if the hideous vision is burnt into your eye balls and brain forever.

Seriously girls (and guys) think about things while you squeezing yourself into a pair of leggings that are stretching like mad. You are going to show you underwears to the world. Is that what you want?

It looks horrendous in my opinion.

Ps. What kind of stupid word is "pants" when you mean outerwear/trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

amdublin wrote: »
    Ps. What kind of stupid word is "pants" when you mean outerwear/trousers.

It's not exactly stupid, it comes from the word pantaloon, meaning breeches or trousers extending from waist to ankle.

Acoshla wrote: »
    It's not exactly stupid, it comes from the word pantaloon, meaning breeches or trousers extending from waist to ankle.

Fair enough. But you wouldn't exactly go into a shop and ask for a pair of breeches or pantaloons now would you. Some words are best let die off. Let "pants" go the same way pantaloons is gone.

Or else you end up with silliness like "pantses" as one retail worker described in this thread already :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

I love leggings. I wear them all the time and I think they look lovely with most clothing. I usually wear them with long tank-tops, t-shirts, jumpers and shirts. A few layers to keep my ass warm in winter!

I think everyone needs to relax with this only a certain size should wear them business as well....That is a terrible attitude. If someone gets dressed a certain way and is happy with how they look no matter what their size, who are you to say they shouldn't wear it. It's no ones business what other people wear, and what you think looks good on you, someone else may not agree.

I always find that with things like this it's simply a case of people pushing their own insecurities on to someone else.

hanner wrote: »

I always find that with things like this it's simply a case of people pushing their own insecurities on to someone else.

So if someone comments on someone with a fat @rse who's squeezed into leggings showing off their knicks to the world it means they are insecure :confused:

Eh maybe they just don't like seeing someones underwear no?

Everyone has the right to wear what they want and wear whatever they want how they like. Not every outfit you wear has to please everyone or anyone, only yourself.
    I am talking in general here, a few posters mentioned that only certain sizes should wear leggings and a few said no one should wear them.
    Some people spend far too much time thinking about what other people think of them and how they look, and how their friends dress, and should they dress the same?
    If someone is happy to wear a pair of leggings and a short top, showing off their bum, then good for them.

hanner wrote: »
    If someone is happy to wear a pair of leggings and a short top, showing off their bum, then good for them.

And what about showing off their knickers through their leggings?

You like seeing peoples underwears?

I never mentioned anything about peoples underwear, you have mentioned that twice yourself....I just think that people should dress how they want without people passing judgement.
    You need to relax.

• Advertisement

Don't worry I'm relaxed :D

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why you think i'm insecure because I express dislike about something :confused:

The underwears was just used as an example because someone else had mentioned.

oh right I mean insecure in regards to the size comments, not about disliking leggings.
    Like someone may think a size 12 is too big to wear a pair of leggings, because they may be self conscious themselves, and think how could she possibly think she looks good?
    Whereas the person could be perfectly happy in their leggings and do not need someone saying they're too big to wear them.

I am not saying you or anyone else is insecure for not liking leggings!
    Do you catch my drift?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I blame Jersey Shore :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Is it not ridiculous to suggest that people can wear what they want as long as they're comfortable? Even if they're hanging out of the clothes or they're showing off a bit too much? Ok, it is up to the individual at the end of the day. But someone somewhere in the past few years decided leggings should be brought back into fashion and a lot of people listened. There would be no such thing as fashions or trends if everyone just wore what they wanted. It is the fashion and appearance forum so people are naturally going to be talking about appearances and making judgements (not on individuals, just to clarify, but on the trends. That's all leggings are - a trend. In 10 years time it'll be something else and those of us rocking the look now will be wondering why they ever did.)
    Think I might just join the 'wearing pyjamas as outdoor clothes gang'. at least I'd be comfortable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm guilty of this, but to me it has to be a very special pair of leggings and then it looks amazing. :)

PAL-S09_03.jpgPAL-S09_04.jpg
    PAL-S09_05.jpgPAL-S09_06.jpg

amdublin wrote: »
    You like seeing peoples underwears?

There are vast swathes of the interweb dedicated to people who do. They even formed a country.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

i think leggings are ok, wasnt a fan before...one day i decided to wear them with a long top i had and it was grand on me doesnt look trashy at all but i know where ye are coming from where young wans wearin them with short tops tis a bit wrong and u can see the arse stickin out lol and anyone can pull it off doesnt matter how thin or big... girls can pull them off!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Eh...I don't personally wear any kind of egging myself, but I've seen girls pull off leggings really nicely. And it's never been any particular body shape that has consistently pulled off the legging look in my opinion; I think it more depends on the quality and fit of the legging in question, much like everything. I wouldn't be massively in favour of wearing leggings with short tops, not just because of the whole camel-toe potential, but because a lack of pockets on the bum isn't very flattering to anyone. The better the material, the less of a problem this is. So it's really just down to quality I suppose!

Advertisement