Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb and Dumber 2 (with Carey and Daniels)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

GTR63 wrote: »
    I wonder will Seabass catch up with them again? :p
    He has been added to the cast alright..

And this little guy is back (announced yesterday)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sounds like they'll be rehashing previous gags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sounds like they'll be rehashing previous gags

Other than having a couple of familiar faces show up, I don't think it'll be too much rehashing...I hope not anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

To be fair the first Dumb & Dumber was very 3 stooges esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Jennifer Lawrence has filmed a cameo in the sequel as the younger version of Kathleen Turner's character, Fraida Felcher:

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a519347/jennifer-lawrence-films-dumb-and-dumber-sequel-cameo.html

Apparantly, Dumb and Dumber is one of Lawrence's favourite comedies and she knows the script inside out!

Right out of blue, she sends me a John Deere letter..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭chucksandstorm

Comedy sequels are normally a bad idea, but I have great hope for this one. More than Anchorman 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Basq wrote: »
    Right out of blue, she sends me a John Deere letter..

Did she say why?

Trailer to be released tomorrow..

6D33du.jpg

Link

New poster..

d2poster_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I laughed throughout that. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Roar wrote: »

I laughed throughout that. Can't wait!

I went in po-faced and found laughing the whole way.

It seems to be filmed with some sort of 90's film stock (like it could be filmed in that decade), has that washed, beige look, I don't know if that's just me. Looks natural.

No orange and teal like Anchorman 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I found that very funny...looks promising but I've been stung by funny trailers before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Neutral Owl

Good trailer, but I 'd be weary as there was a few signs of it being a typical forgetable comedy that lacks the charm of the original. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Looks good, lets hope the trailer hasn't shown the film's funniest parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I have fond memories of the first installment and had hoped this would mark a return to form for the Farrelly brothers but unfortunately the trailer makes this look like a tired retread of the original film.

Aside from the basic premise of Harry & Lloyd embarking on a journey to track down a love interest it looks like they are happy to just repeat the gags from the first time out:

- Opening gag's punchline was a riff on the ‘and totally redeemed yourself’ line
    - Harry & Lloyd on the bicycle = moped in the original
    - Similar style Lloyd ‘dream sequence’ with his dream girl
    - The breath freshener being spritzed in the wrong direction
    - Lloyd ripping his clothes off in a single move
    - The OTT revenge plot that sends the guy into the pool = the jalapenos in Mentalino’s burger
    - I like it a lot = I like it a lot

Maybe the trailer is just trying to remind audiences of the franchise through repeating familiar jokes & catchphrases and there will be more original material in the finished film.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I have fond memories of the first installment and had hoped this would mark a return to form for the Farrelly brothers but unfortunately the trailer makes this look like a tired retread of the original film.

Aside from the basic premise of Harry & Lloyd embarking on a journey to track down a love interest it looks like they are happy to just repeat the gags from the first time out:

- Opening gag's punchline was a riff on the ‘and totally redeemed yourself’ line
    - Harry & Lloyd on the bicycle = moped in the original
    - Similar style Lloyd ‘dream sequence’ with his dream girl
    - The breath freshener being spritzed in the wrong direction
    - Lloyd ripping his clothes off in a single move
    - The OTT revenge plot that sends the guy into the pool = the jalapenos in Mentalino’s burger
    - I like it a lot = I like it a lot

Maybe the trailer is just trying to remind audiences of the franchise through repeating familiar jokes & catchphrases and there will be more original material in the finished film.

Seems to be way too many references to the first film in that trailer. Funniest part is the vending machine disguise. A clever, original little joke that the first film was packed with which is why it is so re-watchable.

The opening prank in the trailer isn't funny. Too obvious from the start. Like Brick's funeral in Anchorman 2, tries too hard for a big laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I didn't think that trailer was at all funny. If they are the best gags they have I would fear for the rest of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So-so trailer but the dust on his hand did make me laugh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I enjoyed the trailer, I'm really hoping that this ends up being decent. I really don't like the title though, Dumb and Dumber 2 would have been better I really don't like the To. I'll be there opening night regardless. Loved the original, it was one of those movies I grew up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the trailer, I'm really hoping that this ends up being decent. I really don't like the title though, Dumb and Dumber 2 would have been better I really don't like the To. I'll be there opening night regardless. Loved the original, it was one of those movies I grew up with.

I can see what they were going for but Dumb & Dumber Too seems to fit better for me, dunno why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Anyone else think the trailer looked low budget or Curb your enthusiasm-esque?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone else think the trailer looked low budget or Curb your enthusiasm-esque?

It’s just the bad digital cinematography. The budget was 35 million, which rather laughably had to be acquired independently because Warners wouldn’t finance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Trailer was pretty disappointing tbh. Terrible overacting by Daniels at the start and then as someone said it looks like a complete rehash of the old jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Trailer wasn't great I though. As above it just seems like a reheat. The fact that they're so much older as well goes against it I think.

I only watched the first one the other night and it's still a classic, but the whole thing seems a lot more forced this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Shooosh

I get a dimilar vibe off this that I get off new simpsons episodes, namely trying too hard, not nearly as bad as the simpsons though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Well I liked it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Trailer does not look promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It’s just the bad digital cinematography. The budget was 35 million, which rather laughably had to be acquired independently because Warners wouldn’t finance it.

Of course they didn't want to finance it, it looks fcuking awful! :D

I can already see it getting horrible reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Saw the comments on here before the trailer but jesus, I couldn't believe it still. There's something just "off" about the trailer, and it actually reminded me of the trailer for their 3 stooges film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Saw the comments on here before the trailer but jesus, I couldn't believe it still. There's something just "off" about the trailer, and it actually reminded me of the trailer for their 3 stooges film.

That is the exact vibe I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Even if its crap, it'll still be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

ror_74 wrote: »
    Even if its crap, it'll still be awesome.

No, just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Saw this the other night. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. There were maybe 4-5 genuinely funny moments in the whole movie, and even they weren't in any way witty. Many of the attempts at humour revolved around the characters confusing words or using them in the wrong context- so a reward is to presented instead of an award, har har har. Worse still, that one joke is used about 5 times, and gags in a similar vein are used throughout.

One of the biggest let downs of the movie is Lloyd's characterisation. In the original he was a goof-ball loser who did stupid things, but did so with the best of intentions. In this one though, Lloyd comes across as an asshole. He's not very likeable at all. It's like that theory about the Simpsons and its slide into medicority coinciding with the Frank Grimes episode and Homer being revealed as a douchebag- all the traits which showed Lloyd in a good light in the original reveal him to be a selfish asshole in this one.

Still, the movie could have been redeemed if it had a decent number of jokes, but it doesn't. I knew it could never live up to the original, but I was hoping it would at least capture some of the spirit and hilarity. I was expecting too much. Still, it did compel me to watch the original again this weekend, so I suppose it should be commended for that! :D

^^None of that is surprising. The problem is that comedy moved on and changed from the way it was in the 90s and, unfortunately, the Farrelly Brothers didn't. Dumb & Dumber is a classic and the jokes will always work because they're of their time. But that time has passed and retreading that ground just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Surely Lloyd was a bit of a d*ck in the first one. Didn't he sleep with Freda Felcher, the love of Harry's live?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He also gave Harry the shíts to throw off his date by giving him loads of laxatives, he had a good evil cackle about it too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

^^None of that is surprising. The problem is that comedy moved on and changed from the way it was in the 90s and, unfortunately, the Farrelly Brothers didn't. Dumb & Dumber is a classic and the jokes will always work because they're of their time. But that time has passed and retreading that ground just won't work.

I dont know about that .
    If anything the standard of comedy films has deteriorated drastically since Dumb and Dumber .
    A good comedy will be a good comedy irrespective of when it is released .

The problem with the Farrelly brothers is that they seem to have completely run out of ideas and are just rehashing the same jokes over and over again.
    The jokes may have been funny the first time but people wont laugh at the same joke again when they know the punchline.
    There is great potential for the two characters in this high tech day and age with the correct script.

I dont know about that .
    If anything the standard of comedy films has deteriorated drastically since Dumb and Dumber .
    A good comedy will be a good comedy irrespective of when it is released .

I disagree. I would say a good comedy will stay a good comedy irrespective of when it's released. But comedy changes with the times. I think Airplane! is one of the all time greats but it is completely of its time. It wouldn't work these days, mostly because it's now been done. The Farrelly Bros are making the same comedy they made in the 90s over and over again. It worked back then and D&D remains great because of what it was. But that comedy is done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I disagree. I would say a good comedy will stay a good comedy irrespective of when it's released. But comedy changes with the times. I think Airplane! is one of the all time greats but it is completely of its time. It wouldn't work these days, mostly because it's now been done. The Farrelly Bros are making the same comedy they made in the 90s over and over again. It worked back then and D&D remains great because of what it was. But that comedy is done now.

Disagree, airplane! Is great movie but then again touch of cloth is a great tv show .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Surely Lloyd was a bit of a d*ck in the first one. Didn't he sleep with Freda Felcher, the love of Harry's live?!
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    He also gave Harry the shíts to throw off his date by giving him loads of laxatives, he had a good evil cackle about it too :pac:

He also conned a blind kid into buying a headless bird!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

He also conned a blind kid into buying a headless bird!

He took care of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just back from seeing this tonight.... Short answer: It's not that good.

Long answer: There are only a few funny moments, but even then, they arent really laugh out loud type moments at that too. Which the original had so many.
    The movie could never have been better than the first or just as good. But it failed short at being "a decent sequel".

Personally I found it good to see Harry and Lloyd again but the film is probably about 14 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Christian Bale

Don't buy this, Dumb and Dumber is just as funny when I watch it now.

Einhard wrote: »
    Saw this the other night. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. There were maybe 4-5 genuinely funny moments in the whole movie, and even they weren't in any way witty. Many of the attempts at humour revolved around the characters confusing words or using them in the wrong context- so a reward is to presented instead of an award, har har har. Worse still, that one joke is used about 5 times, and gags in a similar vein are used throughout.

One of the biggest let downs of the movie is Lloyd's characterisation. In the original he was a goof-ball loser who did stupid things, but did so with the best of intentions. In this one though, Lloyd comes across as an asshole. He's not very likeable at all. It's like that theory about the Simpsons and its slide into medicority coinciding with the Frank Grimes episode and Homer being revealed as a douchebag- all the traits which showed Lloyd in a good light in the original reveal him to be a selfish asshole in this one.

Still, the movie could have been redeemed if it had a decent number of jokes, but it doesn't. I knew it could never live up to the original, but I was hoping it would at least capture some of the spirit and hilarity. I was expecting too much. Still, it did compel me to watch the original again this weekend, so I suppose it should be commended for that! :D

It's amazing how people's perceptions become warped, Loyd was a nasty prick in the first one.

Can you point out a particular joke or funny part of Dumb and Dumber that is "90's comedy"?

Dumb and Dumber is funny because of the quality acting and writing, it has nothing to do with eras. If it was released today it would be just as funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Saw it on Friday. I'll admit it doesn't hold a candle to the original but it isn't a complete train wreak. I think as a movie it really doesn't flow. It seems like it's set-piece after set-piece. Takes a while to kick in but once they are on the road it sort of takes shape.

Some funny moments where the guys are being irreverent and childish. Might merit a second viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The trailer for it is terrible. How did Carrey and Daniels agree to it? They must be hard up for a few quid.
    Why can't they just leave some films alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I've never been put off by a movie by its trailer... Until now. Absolutely awful. Not one funny moment, all the gags are cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Watched it this evening, absolutely terrible. Really wish I hasn't watched it. They should not have made this film!

Advertisement