Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on New Job Offer

Options
  • 30-06-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I have been offered a job as a Graduate Software Developer working with java, c++.
    Pay package and all things attached are pretty good.

I have been also offered a Job in a company where i will doing a lot of xml, xsl editing work. Very domain specific. Using their own in house built software.
    Pay package is nice here too...

I am just out of college with a 4 years degree.

So the question is which role to take...

Software development using java, c++
    or
    xml, xsl editing

I would like guidance and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

gm2183 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been offered a job at Avaya Galway as a Graduate Software Developer.
    Pay package and all things attached are pretty good.

I have been also offered a Job in a company where i will doing a lot of xml, xsl editing work. Very domain specific. Using their own in house built software.

I am just out of college with a 4 years degree.

I would like guidance and advice.

You havent asked a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gm2183

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You havent asked a question.

Ah sorry...

updated the post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A friend of mine worked for Avaya before. Never said anything bad about them. Does the job description match up with your desire to learn Java EE? If yes, sounds like a good start, straight out of college. Do you have any other jobs in the pipeline? It's kinda hard to advise with so little info. Is your hesitation that you think you can do better? That you're taking the first offer you get? That the languages don't match up with where you want to go in your career? That it's in Galway? ;)

Ultimately, this job will be the first of many for you. If the role interests you and the pay is good, take it and enjoy the experience :) If in a year's time you feel you're not getting what you want out of it, move on (hopefully with a decent reference).

EDIT: Just seen your post changes. You have another offer so. Which job interests you more? Working in a company that uses in house software can be interesting but can also be restricting in terms of moving on to another company that obviously has little interest in how proficient you were using that in house software.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ah sorry...

updated the post
    Definitely go the java and c++ Road I've 15 years in IT and niche roles while they can be attractive but you limit your marketability considerably.

Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Software development using java, c++
    or
    xml, xsl editing

No contest, take the software development role.
    Even if the domain specific xml editing pays way more.

Why is this even a question for you?
    Is there other context you aren't mentioning?
    Is the domain of the xml editing job really compelling?

Going solely on what you described, its strange you are even asking the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

If it's Avaya, try get on the next generation projects they have going. There are a few legacy projects on the go there which wouldn't be as interesting. You'll learn tonnes and if you put your head down you will become very proficient in a short space of time. You could even get a patent on your cv. They also follow the programming trends so you're constantly exposed, I'd highly recommend it. If you have anymore questions just pm me.

The reason why i asked the question is probably my own insecurities in relation to future stability. I am very keen on gaining new knowledge but also very concious of the multinational companies hiring/firing patterns.

Anyway i took advice of all and have gone with the software development role.

Thank you all for making it easy for me.

fergalr wrote: »
    No contest, take the software development role.
    Even if the domain specific xml editing pays way more.

Why is this even a question for you?
    Is there other context you aren't mentioning?
    Is the domain of the xml editing job really compelling?

Going solely on what you described, its strange you are even asking the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Good man. You'll be well looked after in there. Your main priority should be learning as quickly as possible and losing the graduate title early in your career. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

The reason why i asked the question is probably my own insecurities in relation to future stability. I am very keen on gaining new knowledge but also very concious of the multinational companies hiring/firing patterns.

Anyway i took advice of all and have gone with the software development role.

Thank you all for making it easy for me.

The worry about job security is understandable.

Honestly, though, in the tech industry, the best job security you have comes from having valuable skills that are in demand. Don't expect loyalty from an employer, just because you've worked there for a long time.

You could spend 20 years working as a VB programmer in a large multinational, and then your entire division gets axed, all the other internal jobs require Java, and its difficult to get employed anywhere else.

I reckon the best defence, at least at the moment, is to continually pursue more highly skilled roles.
    In your case, that'd mean taking the software dev. role - even if the company was to disappear, at least you'd have better skills and be in a better position to get the next job, etc.

There's tradeoffs to any course of action, though; any choice can end up going wrong; but that's where I'd bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Congrats OP, and best of luck with the job.

Advertisement