Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JIRA integration with SVN?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 10:28am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For you guys that do this what do you use? I've been looking at differnt options and trying to see what is best. Also is your JIRA remotely hosted, does your SVN use apache, do you use ssh and so on. Crucible/fisheye looks good along with some of the free plugins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Sneakily adding on to this I would also be interested in hearing how people integrate JIRA with Git.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sneakily adding on to this I would also be interested in hearing how people integrate JIRA with Git.

We use this for git/jira. It was free up until a year or so ago, but that version had memory leak issues. You should also look at greenhopper if you are not using it already, I think it is now part of the latest JIRA releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

For you guys that do this what do you use? I've been looking at differnt options and trying to see what is best. Also is your JIRA remotely hosted, does your SVN use apache, do you use ssh and so on. Crucible/fisheye looks good along with some of the free plugins.
    As per the other thread, we use Crucible/Fisheye where I am. However we host everything in house, which I believe you mentioned you don't, so this may not be as straightforward. We have SVN read access via apache, but main usage is via the svn:// protocol and svnserve, and this is what we use for Crucible/Fisheye also
    We don't use git, but I was at the Atlassian Getting Git Right talk a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I was very impressed by their Git offering in the form of Stash, though there is a price premium associated with that which would be pretty hefty for us, given the per-user licensing. Basically it gives the same functionality in one place as SVN and Crucible/Fisheye, with a bit more too.
    jester77 wrote: »
    We use this for git/jira. It was free up until a year or so ago, but that version had memory leak issues. You should also look at greenhopper if you are not using it already, I think it is now part of the latest JIRA releases.

I think Greenhopper has also been rebranded to Jira Agile, just as an FYI. Can't comment on the plugin you mention, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cython wrote: »
    As per the other thread, we use Crucible/Fisheye where I am. However we host everything in house, which I believe you mentioned you don't, so this may not be as straightforward. We have SVN read access via apache, but main usage is via the svn:// protocol and svnserve, and this is what we use for Crucible/Fisheye also

We don't use git, but I was at the Atlassian Getting Git Right talk a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I was very impressed by their Git offering in the form of Stash, though there is a price premium associated with that which would be pretty hefty for us, given the per-user licensing. Basically it gives the same functionality in one place as SVN and Crucible/Fisheye, with a bit more too.

I think Greenhopper has also been rebranded to Jira Agile, just as an FYI. Can't comment on the plugin you mention, unfortunately.

I wonder why they have stash when they already have bitbucket. They could have done an enterprise version of bitbucket just like github. Now they have 2 different code bases that have a lot of cross over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

jester77 wrote: »
    I wonder why they have stash when they already have bitbucket. They could have done an enterprise version of bitbucket just like github. Now they have 2 different code bases that have a lot of cross over.

From the same talk, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that there's a good deal of shared stuff between the two, and based off what the guys were saying (one of whom worked on the Stash team, IIRC), their architecture and builds are very plugin oriented, so basically loads of modules that they pull together with the core being largely a framework, which would facilitate at least some overlap.

In terms of keeping them separate, there are some features of Stash that are not in Bitbucket, and they also follow different release and development models, basically because Bitbucket is developed with SaaS in mind (only ever one version in the wild, etc.), while they have to support various branches and versions of Stash (as they do for any of the self-hosted applications). They may not want to impose that release model on Bitbucket (or indeed having to build a different variant of the application), so they might as well have Stash as "Bitbucket for Enterprise" or "BitBucket Local", etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Running stash and jira at the moment. Works quite well and both integrate well with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

cython wrote: »

Yeah its now Jira Agile. We have a license for it but we are trying to define a workflow that matches our internal process for kanban before we start using it properly.

Advertisement