Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deaf and Dumb Spirit, epilepsy etc???

• 23-01-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

I'd like Christian comment on this please. Thanks.

There are passages is the New testament that refer to people being 'posessed by a dumb spirit' etc. One that comes to mind is the one about the boy who used to fall into the fire or water etc. The demon is expelled, and the boy is cured. My criosity about this, is that an ailment that the father said the boy had since he was a child is called a posession. What would your reckoning on this be? Is epilepsy demonic? Are certain conditions down to evil spirits? Or is it lack of medical understanding back then? If so, then why did Jesus expel a demon? Its a little confusing for me. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated.
    J.

PS: Mark 9:17-27 is where you'll find the particular incident I'm alluding to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

There are a number of conditions that could cause the symptoms described, not just epilepsy.

If the situation in this case had simply been epilepsy then I believe Jesus would simply have cured the epilepsy. As it was, He cast out a demon, which would indicate that the problem was one of demonisation not epilepsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    There are a number of conditions that could cause the symptoms described, not just epilepsy.

If the situation in this case had simply been epilepsy then I believe Jesus would simply have cured the epilepsy. As it was, He cast out a demon, which would indicate that the problem was one of demonisation not epilepsy.

Ah, I've just seen a seperation of the two in Matthew

Matthew (4:24) reports that people brought Jesus ailing ones including “demon-possessed and epileptic” persons, drawing a distinction between these two types of individuals cured by Christ.

I've also read about the translation being 'moonstruck' rather than 'epilepsy', which is from the Greek meaning, seizures.

I seem to recall incidents where it says that someone was posessed with a 'dumb demon'. Am I making that up? or do you know of such a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

JimiTime wrote: »
    I seem to recall incidents where it says that someone was posessed with a 'dumb demon'. Am I making that up? or do you know of such a reference?

Mark 9:17

'Moonstruck', by the way, would be the equivalent of our word 'lunatic'.

Advertisement