Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Rod ( 2 in a week!)

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Damn it anyway....

Broke my fly rod last week by standing on it in the water as I unhooked a fish!!

So decided to buy again... purchased a new Cortland one this week and on the second outing yesterday on the liffey I caught a beautiful Brown trout 1.5 lb at a guess... hell of a fighter and he was way down stream and had to work him all the way back to me..

Anyway I had him in and I always like to unhook them in the water before releasing them and and I bent down for him he spooked and took off and I grabbed the rod just about half way down and it snapped off below the tip!!

Damn unlucky...

Anyway anyone know if it has a warrenty? I didn't technically break it on a fish... although he was on the hook at the time... I'm bringing it back to the shop today and was wondering what line to use?

Fish had a lucky escape though!!! I reeled him in anyway and released him ( he was considered for a BBQ after costing me a rod!)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Two in a week!
    Once is happenstance ....
    twice is coincidence ....
    Go easy next week - a third one would look real bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

...if I was you, I'd make sure to do this week's lotto!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

buy a landing net and net the fish, return them quickly (within 40 seconds), then fish are not harmed and rod is not broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

result...

Cortland rod seemingly has a lifetime guarantee but may not be worth my while...

I have to send them the rod at my expense and include a USD draft for the postage back to me from US.. So would prob cost more than a top section would cost with 1 way carriage...

Thanks for the help

Advertisement