Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby, J2EE, spring,etc?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious to know anecdotally what makes up the majority of web developers toolkits on the Irish market these days ? I personally come from a Java development background and I'm working at the moment primarily on J2ME/MIDP apps but I'd like to dip back into some web programming to keep my skills up to date. About 12-18mths ago when I was on the job market it seemed that (aside from .NET) J2EE/JSP/Struts/EJB/Appserver was the predominant stack for serious web development.

Has this moved on a bit on the Irish scene ? Are there more software developers working now on Spring/Hibernate/lightweight frameworks or even Ruby on Rails (ROR) ?

I've gotten the impression that a few software houses got burnt by using EJB and Struts and found them overkill and over-engineered as a productive means of delivering enterprise apps. I'm just wondering if the world is moving on or if the landscape is pretty much the same as when I last surveyed it 12mths ago.

-ifc

Advertisement