Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring a second/weekend car

• 01-03-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi there! From searching through the forums I came across a thread from last year where somebody found that Campions insurance would insure any car aged 15yrs plus for a pretty small fee on a limited mileage basis.
    Im currently looking at getting something fun for the weekends to take away from the boredom of driving a diesel for work (thinking of a dc2 type r :D).
    From reading here: http://www.iveta.ie/forms/IVETAInsuranceRates.pdf
    It would seem as though I can join the iveta and then insure the dc2 type r (or a similar car) for pretty small money! Just wondering if anybody has any experience doing this?!!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

OSI wrote: »
    I would be amazed if anyone is going to let you insure anything like a DC2 as a vintage car.

Very true!! And thats what I thought until I read this thread!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056158506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Dream on...lol...Or we would all be doing it.

You can get a classic alright but it must be a recognised classic.
    And remember all post 80's cars need valid NCT done every year.

Do some research first, running a second car might be expensive.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Dream on...lol...Or we would all be doing it................

It's quite feasible :)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Dream on...lol...Or we would all be doing it.

You can get a classic alright but it must be a recognised classic.
    And remember all post 80's cars need valid NCT done every year.

Do some research first, running a second car can be expensive.

Im aware of the tax, servicing costs etc. Have run a Vtec honda before as a daily driver and it cost me very very little. I miss being able to rev past 4,000!! The Dc2 appeals as the tax is 1.8, would be easy to maintain. Finding a good clean example could be tough but I'm in no rush at all!! Its a want, not a need!

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's quite feasible :)

RoverJames, have you done this yourself? Obviously the level of cover is very very limited but all i want is to have a little disc to allow me to legally drive the car on the road!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I could get a Campions insurance "classic" policy with limited mileage last year on a 96 BMW cabrio but the policy is too basic imo. The policy they offer is third party only and this does not include fire and theft.

As far as I know the car has to be Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc if its only 15 years old

In the end I went with AXA, I got full comprehensive insurance with roadside assistance for 400 EUR (they matched my full AXA NCB on the new policy straight away) :D

markoire wrote: »
    RoverJames, have you done this yourself? Obviously the level of cover is very very limited but all i want is to have a little disc to allow me to legally drive the car on the road!!

No I haven't but many people do, the insurance you will get is just what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Speak to First Ireland Insurance, they will insure cars from 15 years + on a classic policy once you have the second policy in your own name.

Was with them for a year no issues with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

First Ireland will also allow you a 2nd car (doesn't have to be vintage) on the same policy - the AA wouldn't do this for me. It will still cost you, but you get the full benefit of your NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Good luck finding an insurer who will touch a DC2 full stop, let alone on a classic policy... In my time of owning mine Ive found only three insurers who will insure me, and two of them are XS Direct and ARB who both have massive excesses and hugh premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I had a 97 MGF with campions in Jan. they will take it

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will make a couple of enquiries and let people know the outcome of the quotes!

Advertisement