Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nissan primera p12 oil filter leak

Options
  • 10-12-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

just might find the answer here .the oil filter on p12 2.2 diesel is leaking after service tried changing to new filter and watching how tight i screwed it back [only 2.5 pressure ] but the bugger is still leaking .
    any mecanics or good car people out there come across this problem ? and have a solution .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Check the old filter to see if the rubber seal is still on it, if not it may be still stuck to the fiter housing and causing the new filter to leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

thank for the prompt reply .but ive done the oil change on this car atleast ten times and never had this problem .i dont think the old o ring is still there [nah sure i have the old one here ] . tried everything at this stage .too loose = leak think its just right = leak .over tighten and it pushes out the o ring and =leak .
    just thinkin that maybe as the car is way passed its sell by date 240k miles would it be back pressure thats causing this ?
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Id say around the face of the oil filter housing where it meets with the filter is slightly pitted or wore that's the only possibility.are you a mechanic( don't mean that being funny) just hard to tell with out seen it.

thank for the prompt reply .but ive done the oil change on this car atleast ten times and never had this problem .i dont think the old o ring is still there [nah sure i have the old one here ] . tried everything at this stage .too loose = leak think its just right = leak .over tighten and it pushes out the o ring and =leak .
    just thinkin that maybe as the car is way passed its sell by date 240k miles would it be back pressure thats causing this ?
    thanks again

Has your got the metal screw on filter or the paper insert filter? Either way, I'm not sure how the o ring can be pushed out as they are fixed in grooves, so tightening will only push the seal tighter into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

its the paper insert type filter [best way i can describe it is ] case has a lip that o ring sits on .the case is then screwed up to the housing .
    hand tight .then a little turn of a ratchet just to send it home .now its sitting nice and tidy .then you turn over the engine and the leaks start .so give it another turn of the ratchet .this pushes the o ring out from the lip .
    listen lads thanks again .this f'#kin thing has me pullin the hair out of the side of my head [the stuff on the top is well gone at this stage:cool: ].

cheers

• Advertisement

Sounds like there is something wrong, either some damage to the cap or housing or the seal is the wrong diameter or something..

Advertisement