Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens after Human Genetics in Trinity?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I was thinking of Human genetics and I was wondering about the job opportunities after finishing the course... How is the market for geneticists and what would I even be doing after that course? Also would anyone else recommend doing the course? I'm currently doing medicine, abroad, and I wanted to come back home to study...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

You'd either go on to do a PhD in genetics/molecular biology and hope to make it as a researcher or you'd do whatever most other biology graduates do (MSc/ analyst work/QA/something unrelated). Sadly there are no genetics factories offering steady jobs. The point of the course is more to study genetics right off if you've an interest in it. The end result is the same as if you'd done TR071 and done the genetics moderatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Im in first year of Human Genetics atm, PM me if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're better off sticking with medicine. If you're interested in genetics, do it as a P.hD and locum on the side or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You're better off sticking with medicine. If you're interested in genetics, do it as a P.hD and locum on the side or something.

If someone was interested purely in genetics I'm not sure I'd recommend that, it doesn't seem like they do much science in medicine, and it would be a very tough and round about way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Well thats not wholly accurate. Medicine is entirely based in science. The first three years are essentially a four year science degree compressed into it with clinical attachments additionally in third year and then a complete clinical focus after that. There is a lot of independent scientific review and research projects that you are expected to complete in Trinity anyway. We don't spend as much time in a traditional lab as undenominated science students but it is a scientific degree. All clinical practice is based on current best scientific evidence anyway, you can't be a medical doc and not be a scientist also.

You mentioned you are studying medicine abroad but want to come home to study. Why is that? Are you homesick? Do you not like the course? Or is it both? You should think about it carefully before you do anything. If you think you would prefer to study genetics over medicine then you could pursue it in Ireland, if after that you decide you prefer medicine after that you can always do the GAMSAT. Medicine is tough and gruelling as it is, it must be really hard to do it when you're in a different country and don't have the same supports and even more so if you don't think your heart is in it. The most important thing is to not just slog away at a course that you hate just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Taco Chips wrote: »
    We don't spend as much time in a traditional lab as undenominated science students but it is a scientific degree. All clinical practice is based on current best scientific evidence anyway, you can't be a medical doc and not be a scientist also.

That's what I meant, the practical side of science is fairly important. Every lab I've been in has had a list of anecdotes involving clueless med students ranging from 'stupid but harmless' to 'endangering themselves and everyone else'.
    Med students just don't get as much training and practise in lab work. I'm sure its very possible to catch up, but it just seems like a more difficult and time consuming way of getting into genetics hence why I wouldn't recommend it.

But apparently the OP is already doing medicine, so I guess it depends how far into the degree they are.

Advertisement