Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer into second year BESS

• 08-11-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I completed first year in arts and I am wanting to transfer into second year BESS next September.

I contacted Trinity and they said this is possible.

However, I am concerned that I will have missed first year. I am not financially able to afford a 4 year course, even 3 years will be extremely difficult but just about manageable.

I have never studied business or economics. I have however studied social studies.

So my question is for current or past BESS students. Will I be at a huge disadvantage if I join in second year? Also, I am concerned that everyone will have formed their 'groups' in first year, considering it is a large course, would it still be relatively easy for me to make friends in second year?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Frustrated Fresher

What subjects do you intend to study out of business, economics, politics and sociology?

I don't do bess (I'm a first year TSM in economics), but what I've heard is that first year business and sociology are easy, and that the politics is a bit more testing.

Given that you probably have essay writing experience from social studies, I think that if you want to pursue any of those you'd be absolutely fine.

I came on this site, as my name suggests, to complain about the simplicity of freshman economics. I did that as one who is strong at maths and did economics at leaving, though. I don't really know, but it would probably be quite a steep learning curve if you were to start right into Intermediate Economics and Maths and Stats Methods having never done any economics.

I've made all my friends through societies, clubs and tutorials. I barely ever speak to anyone in my lectures which often have four hundred people in them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

It entirely depends on what courses you intend to pick up. The Politics courses I did in second year didn't really bear any relation to first year intro to political science. I imagine it's similar for Sociology, and maybe business? As the poster above said though, that wouldn't be true for Economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Could you tell me which arts degree you did?, subjects and where? Please. Might put it second on my CAO after BESS.

Advertisement