Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright

Options
  • 04-02-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Just a quick one on copyright. I'm about to have a prototype developed by a college for a website/app that I have recently looked into starting. I'm just wondering where I need to be in terms of copyright.

It's a brand new company and I recently received an innovation grant from Enterprise Ireland to develop the product but I'm not sure where I need to be on a copyright front. Do I also need to patent the idea?

(I'd also appreciate if anyone on here with their own web based business has any advice.)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I'd advise you to talk to your contact in Ent Irl. You should have a coach or mentor right? Or contact a solicitor. You'll be needing one at some point down the line no doubt so might as well make contact with one now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Thanks Kon. I don't have a mentor, no. The only interaction I've had with them is a letter telling me I was accepted for the voucher, and the voucher itself. Cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Thanks Kon. I don't have a mentor, no. The only interaction I've had with them is a letter telling me I was accepted for the voucher, and the voucher itself. Cheers.

Hmm, they should have sent you a list of mentors to contact, IIRC. If you want to drop me a PM I can put you in touch with my solicitor. Sound guy with experience in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hmm, they should have sent you a list of mentors to contact, IIRC. If you want to drop me a PM I can put you in touch with my solicitor. Sound guy with experience in the area.

I was given a list of colleges/enterprises where I could redeem the voucher, but no list of mentors.

I was given a list of colleges/enterprises where I could redeem the voucher, but no list of mentors.

http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Research-Innovation/Companies/Collaborate-with-companies-research-institutes/Innovation-Voucher.shortcut.html#Knowledge Providers

The "knowledge providers" should be able to guide you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most of what you need to know is covered in the FAQs on the patent office website:
    http://www.patentsoffice.ie/

The staff are really helpful and can give you guidance

Don't go hiring a solicitor until you absolutely have to

Copyright is automatic under Irish law

• Registered Users Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Blacknight wrote: »
    Copyright is automatic under Irish law

Indeed - it automatically lies with the creator of the work. In this case that may be the college students, or the college.

OP, do you have a contract with the college? What does it say?

Advertisement