Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basil outdoors for the summer?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭

I usually grow basil on windowsills indoors, but this year I have a large tray with them that I grew outdoors in one of those cheap plastic greenhouses from when they were plugs. They've done very well but my tomatoes have forced them out of the wee greenhouse.

I put the tray outdoors last night and was planning on having it outside until the start of September. Will this be ok? Should I bring them into the house on cold days? How about wind or hail? Anybody any experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

unkel wrote: »
    I usually grow basil on windowsills indoors, but this year I have a large tray with them that I grew outdoors in one of those cheap plastic greenhouses from when they were plugs. They've done very well but my tomatoes have forced them out of the wee greenhouse.

I put the tray outdoors last night and was planning on having it outside until the start of September. Will this be ok? Should I bring them into the house on cold days? How about wind or hail? Anybody any experience?

Basil is very vulnerable to damage from the cold (below 10C). Probably best to bring them in on such nights. I suspect there will be plenty of cold nights this summer.
    Full sun is usually recommended but I find you get a larger and more flavoursome leaf if planted in partial shade. Free draining acid soil is the key thing for healthy basil.
    All you need now is some good olive oil and mozzarella.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

unkel wrote: »

Basil likes warmth so best to keep it in a cold frame esp as the weather 's meant to get cooler again. I've had mixed sucess with it this year had to throw out early sowings due to a mildew infection which travels via spores and in soil :mad:. Later batches are doing ok so far!! http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/15/AR2010061501079.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

a mildew infection which travels via spores and in soil
    slowburner wrote: »
    Free draining acid soil is the key thing for healthy basil.

QED

Advertisement