Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbing

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had my heart set on continuous kerbing but I got a quote of 2500(local guy) for in the region of 120 meters of kerbing. I got another quote of a guy on done deal and he quoted 1900, based in offaly but he has not done any work around me. I am abit iffy about this guy in offaly as I have not seen any of his work. The guys have very little to do to get the foundations in so I think this is mad expensive from the local guy anyway. I am wondering what has other people used? I am not gone on the 1 meter standard kerbs you can buy from any precast company

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

No idea but I think you will get good responses on the DIY or the Construction forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi,

I had my heart set on continuous kerbing but I got a quote of 2500(local guy) for in the region of 120 meters of kerbing. I got another quote of a guy on done deal and he quoted 1900, based in offaly but he has not done any work around me. I am abit iffy about this guy in offaly as I have not seen any of his work. The guys have very little to do to get the foundations in so I think this is mad expensive from the local guy anyway. I am wondering what has other people used? I am not gone on the 1 meter standard kerbs you can buy from any precast company

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Well if a run rate of €20.00/m seems high, there's little point in considering better finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well if a run rate of €20.00/m seems high, there's little point in considering better finishes?

Well I think this is pretty expensive as I would assume two guys would get this done in 3 days. One day to fix the foundations and two days to lay the kerbing and do the trowel work. I had a machine in so the foundations just need to be whacked and topped up. Its working out out 400 a day per person. Now I understand they have to buy the equipment etc but this is a bit much in my opinion or maybe I am under estimating the workload so correct me if I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'm not really sure whether you are talking about

A - a few lads manually doing a continous kerb ?

OR

B - a continous kerb thing done by a machine?

I've worked in a few gardens (sunny south east) where a huge machine, like a giant sausage machine drives along where you want the kerbs and it spews out the concrete kerbs.

The quality looks great and they are higher and sturdier than the silly kerb blocks.

The machine method was:

a site visit/consultation
    marking out kerbs - spray paint
    sticking a few sticks in the ground
    then machine arrives and all done within a day

I haven't a clue about the cost, it was just being done in gardens where I was doing the landscape design.

The company I think is Kerbline, not sure, you could check out their prices, try googling them maybe, might be worth checking out.

apologies for sausage machine description not being very technical :D

EDIT : the sausage machine is a big truck - so obviously needs to be able to get in your gate and along where kerbs need to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'm not sure why you're talking about a skilfull operation in such crude and simplistic terms, eg, 'Sticking a few sticks in the ground'. What method do you use in your line of work? No, don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Brother in Law did mine, came in at about 1000, was done in about 3-4hours.

I did the ground work,clearing etc.

PM me if you want his number, he's based in Meath but will travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'm not sure why you're talking about a skilfull operation in such crude and simplistic terms, eg, 'Sticking a few sticks in the ground'. What method do you use in your line of work? No, don't bother.

'Sticking a few sticks in the ground'

I didn't want to bore the OP to death by saying that the lads took about three or four hours accurately measuring the whole site and strategically placing the sticks as markers for the margins, I'm sure he will get the jist of my post.

My work doesn't have anything to do with laying kerbs so I'm not sure why that would have any effect on my reply.

I was trying to suggest alternatives to the OP which I did in my reply to him.

:)

Just an update and maybe some additional info.

I checked a good few local guys and they were all in around the same price. One guy from Offaly was a good bit cheaper. The company is Midland Decorative Kerbing. Anyone use this company and if so how did you find them

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carragold

I have used midlands kerbing recently for kerbing - did 110 metres. Very glad I did as kerbs worked out very well, finish is very good, very good pricing (fraction of cost of a couple of local guys (one located about 5 miles from my house as opposed to midlands kerbing that came 50-60 miles to do it) who talked the job up as if they were going to be pitching up with an army for few weeks to do the job - justifying in some way his per m cost).
    it is the first thing that visitors comment on when they arrive at the house.
    Against the option of putting a foot high stone-fronted wall (was being considered) or precast metre length kerbs down - no comparison. Guy came back as he said few weeks later and brush sealed the kerbs for prtoection.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

carragold wrote: »
    I have used midlands kerbing recently for kerbing - did 110 metres. Very glad I did as kerbs worked out very well, finish is very good, very good pricing (fraction of cost of a couple of local guys (one located about 5 miles from my house as opposed to midlands kerbing that came 50-60 miles to do it) who talked the job up as if they were going to be pitching up with an army for few weeks to do the job - justifying in some way his per m cost).
    it is the first thing that visitors comment on when they arrive at the house.
    Against the option of putting a foot high stone-fronted wall (was being considered) or precast metre length kerbs down - no comparison. Guy came back as he said few weeks later and brush sealed the kerbs for prtoection.

What is the contact number for midlands kerbing?

• Advertisement

Glenman wrote: »
    What is the contact number for midlands kerbing?

Same guy http://www.colourkerb.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SirustheVirus

Hi Folks,

How did this all work out? Im looking to do some continuous kerbing and looking for advice? Did this last the test of time? Any issues with colour fading or breaking over time?
    Thanks

Advertisement