Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average driving times/speeds

Options
  • 27-07-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

We may all use these pages to knock the NRA, Government, Martin e-voting Cullen and all the other conspirators in Government who refuse to read the words of wisdom on these boards, but there is no doubt all these new roads which are gradually being joined together in some kind of network (not necessarily the network some of us would recommend) are reducing travel times considerably. I did the Dublin Sligo route recently, and travelling at an off peak time drove from Greystones (Wicklow) as far as The Covert pub and well known landmark on the n4 (just north of Mullingar) a distance of 72 miles on my clock in 60 minutes and before all the virtuous ones say I must have broken the speed limit - err yes is the answer - primarily on the Motorway section of the journey, I actually don't see a problem driving at 85 mph on an near empty motorway. The road was empty is was a bright sunny day and I just couldn't believe it when I had got as far as The Covert so quickly. I remember many years ago this drive would take upwards of 2 and a half hours from Dublin - so things have changed and are changing and for the better. Anyone else got examples of such journeys they have done over the years around the country being cut so dramatically in travel time with the new developments. When all these motorways are finished we are going to realise just what a small country this is - Take Galway Dublin at most about 120 miles - When it is motorway/HQDC all the way at non peak times at 70 mph average it will be doable in less than two hours with a good wind and no hold ups

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Mr Cullen, stop posting on boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Took me 4 and a half hours to get from Dublin to Galway one weekend. We've a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Mr Cullen, stop posting on boards!!

I can assure I am not he nor anything to do with him. Can't stand the sight of him, what a sleazeball.

Stark wrote:
    Took me 4 and a half hours to get from Dublin to Galway one weekend. We've a long way to go yet.
    I agree it is still a mare. the fact you can now get to Kinnegad from the start of the M4 in 20 minutes makes it all the more frustrating that the total journey takes as long as the one you said, that section of the N6 just after Kinnegad is brutal, particularly when you have come straight off a motorway doing 80 mph and then go on one of the most dangerous stretches of N road in Ireland, god knows why the Kilcock/Kinnegad section of the M4 didnt take that bit out in the first phase of building is beyond me, you Probably got stuck for an hour at Moate and Ballinasloe as well, there is a long way to go but that journey will be unrecognisable in about three to four years time. Athlone Dublin shoud be doable in an hour when its finished (again at non peak times)....Loads more car bound long distance commuters..just what the country needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree it is still a mare. the fact you can now get to Kinnegad from the start of the M4 in 20 minutes makes it all the more frustrating that the total journey takes as long as the one you said.
    Galway to Dublin usually takes me round about three hours now-off peak.
    The Kinnegad Athlone section of the motorway is being built at the moment which will reduce this further.
    Things are getting better-its just taking a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Average speed when commuting to work is 30 mph. :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I must say roads are improving all the time... :D

I don't do a whole lot of long-distance driving across the country but lately I have been doing some. What I do notice though is that the roads seem to gradually get worse the further you get from Dublin on some routes - but of course there are some good patches. I found the M/N4 a very good road - its quite improved, but I haven't been on it for a long time so I can't really remember. I think the surface was quite good all along and even in the towns surfaces are in good condition. On the N5 though, the road gradually gets worse after Longford and there are less places to overtake. Around Castlebar area isn't bad though. Not a route I do often, how does about 4 hours to Westport sound?

N11 is a route I'm familiar with, it's a good road but the Gorey bypass is needed badly. Again, roads past Gorey gradually get worse. N30 isn't a bad road I must say, but some has been improved just recently.

Drove to Kilkenny today on the N9 which has improved quite a bit, not too many bad sections as far as the N10, I remember it being a lot worse. Drove back on the N78 which I thought was a surprisingly good road. Just outside Kilkenny the road isn't great but the rest of the way its grand. I'd recommend it as an alternative route to Kilkenny. Good road and has nicer scenery than the N9, plus you don't get held up in Carlow.

I think the N7 Nass Rd. upgrade has vastly improved to quality of the route, its a very nice section of road.

I went down to Cork last summer to get the boat to France and it still took quite a bit of time, even considering M7 to Portlaoise. I remember getting held up for a while in Mitchelstown and Fermoy. I think it was about 4 and 1/2 hours to Ringaskiddy, I dunno if that's good time or what? How much could that be expected to improve on motorway?

Also, might be going to Donegal next week... how's the N2 now? Seeing as there has been a lot of work done on it. Haven't done that way in a long time, usually use the M1 and go through Armagh - takes a little bit less time but I'd like to see what the N2 is like now... :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bryanw wrote:
    I went down to Cork last summer to get the boat to France and it still took quite a bit of time, even considering M7 to Portlaoise. I remember getting held up for a while in Mitchelstown and Fermoy. I think it was about 4 and 1/2 hours to Ringaskiddy, I dunno if that's good time or what? How much could that be expected to improve on motorway?

Well the NRA is aiming for an average speed of 97km/h on the new motorways. Cork to Dublin is about 260km, so just offer two and a half hours. Of course this will vary based on the time you are leaving Cork/Dublin and traffic. But yes it should make a massive difference.

bk wrote:
    Well the NRA is aiming for an average speed of 97km/h on the new motorways. Cork to Dublin is about 260km, so just offer two and a half hours. Of course this will vary based on the time you are leaving Cork/Dublin and traffic. But yes it should make a massive difference.

Nah.. in good conditions and light traffic (ie non peak hours), on a motorway at 80 mph/130 kph (which should be doable without being pulled on a motorway), it will be done in two hours....it will be a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

"it will be a small country"

about time, too...

It gets me everytime that it takes 4 hours on average to get to Dublin from Galway (200 km)...considering that it takes me 6.5 hours to drive the 850 km from my hometown in northern Germany to see my grandma in the south of Germany...and it would be less had I a faster car...(but I guess you can't compare that...;-))

can't wait til they finish the motorway, now we just need to get rid of Moate and Ballinasloe, and we're sorted...;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

westtip wrote:
    Nah.. in good conditions and light traffic (ie non peak hours), on a motorway at 80 mph/130 kph (which should be doable without being pulled on a motorway), it will be done in two hours....it will be a small country.

Well, I'm not sure, but I think the NRA speed is the average speed over the total length of the journey, so I believe it is taking into account rush hour traffic around Dublin and Cork.

I agree the time will vary between 2 hours and 3 hours depending on time of day. which is excellent news, faster then my train.

Advertisement