Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Transition Students to Learn some Drivers Education

• 25-07-2006 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

from unison
    TRANSITION year students are to get a special course on road safety, writes Gene McKenna.

It will be part of their official curriculum.

The Government has asked the Road Safety Authority (RSA) to devise a suitable course.

And it could be be available for the next school year.

Two road safety education officers are to be appointed to help the campaign - to cut road deaths among young people.

The move has been approved by the Cabinet sub-committee on road safety on the recommendation of Education Minister Mary Hanafin. It comes as official concerns have risen about how the number of young drivers killed on the roads in the first half of the year has escalated.

The minister told the Irish Independent last night that she has contacted the RSA asking them to draw up a 10-week course, which could be used during transition year at no cost to the students.

But Ms Hanafin does not envisage driving lessons being involved in the course, as she believes they would be expensive for students and not all parents could afford it.

Well it can't hurt, and I hope (but doubt) one 'lesson' involves talking to a crash victim.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good idea. As long as its done properly and not just a "Read the rules of the road in class" type thing, assuming the shoddy state of that book.

Driving lessons might cause problems though, due to age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

AFAIK many (or most) students in the country don't do Transition Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Practically everyone I know did Transition year.

Its optional in a lot of places, but after doing it, Id recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I wonder what the stat are for driver ability and/or accidents based on the age you allowed to drive in various countries,

I guess you can start (to learn) to drive when you're 17 here (yes?) so most people are 15/16 in TY?

I wonder if there is pedestrian or bikesafety course, in primary maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder if there is pedestrian or bikesafety course, in primary maybe?

"Stop! Look for a safe place. Don't hurry, stop and wait" ;)

"The Safe Cross Code"

hedgehog.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

"The Safe Cross Code"

hedgehog.gif

The only character guaranteed to get kids to pay attention when crossing the road is Darth Vader, sorry I meant David Prowse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Its optional in a lot of places, but after doing it, Id recommend it.

I wouldn't let anymore of my kids do it - our eldest did it and it was a complete waste of time, it makes it very difficult to get back into the swing of things when they return to do their leaving cert. Better off sticking their nose to the grindstone, securing a college place with the leaving cert they get and then working for a year either abroad or in Ireland or they would be better off doing some form of national service the year after they left school, instead of sponging off their parents for an extra year at school when they are about 15/16 it just gives a bunch of spotty oiks the chance to doss around for the year, Transition year produces a load of lazy dossers which parents have to subsidise - our protege this year went to northern spain for five days with the school, a month in France, 3 weeks in the geeltacht, numerous other special projects costing 50 here 50 there. Never again. Complete waste of time and money.

Advertisement